Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

MarcusSA posted:

gently caress now I want some salsa! Where is this tomoatoe cart dude??

I know! An app! Like post mates but strictly delivers only the highest quality artesian chips and salsa to your door on demand.

App name: Guac It 2 Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Apparently I am not like normal people who just give an iPhone with no restrictions to their kids?

Correct, most parents don’t put restrictions on their kids phones. Although to be fair more often they say they do random inspections. Assuming that they actually do check the phone from time to time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I feel like that needs FWD:FWD:FWD:RE: and be posted by grandma with a pithy “IT’S FUNNY BECAUSE IT’S TRUE!!!” as the subject.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

somewhere between the time SA thought kids sucked and the time that regulars on SA started talking about their kids that they had intentionally is somewhere that I recognized I got old

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Duckman2008 posted:

Correct, most parents don’t put restrictions on their kids phones. Although to be fair more often they say they do random inspections. Assuming that they actually do check the phone from time to time.

I build trust and respect with my kids by checking their browser and YouTube history bi-daily

Photos/texts too ofc, but that’s obliged

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

A single mom at work got this for her 10 year old daughter and she said she loves it.

https://www.doki.com/features/

She said there is no way she’d get her kid a smart phone at that age but the watch works perfect.
This thing looks genuinely really neat but the big problem is you're basically dooming your kid to years of being an epic dweebus gaylord if you give them one of these when all their peers are already running around with iPhones X

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any tips on something I can sell at 100% margin?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cocaine?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

Anyone have any tips on something I can sell at 100% margin?

Electricity

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Internet service

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cell phone service duh

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

The Big Word posted:

This thing looks genuinely really neat but the big problem is you're basically dooming your kid to years of being an epic dweebus gaylord if you give them one of these when all their peers are already running around with iPhones X

Reminds me of the parents who have a kid with friends who all have iPads then the parent thinks they can save a few bucks and get some lovely tablet, then surprise surprise, the kid still asking to borrow everyone else’s phone. I’m not saying either are right or kids should be glued to iPads but it is lol

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pivo posted:

somewhere between the time SA thought kids sucked and the time that regulars on SA started talking about their kids that they had intentionally is somewhere that I recognized I got old

it's bizarre to me when people my age have kids getting ready to start high school

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

e.pilot posted:

it's bizarre to me when people my age have kids getting ready to start high school

my little brother that my parents had when i was ~16~ is going to be going to my old high school in a year

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there an equivalent to Messenger Lite for iOS? I don’t want all of the bells and whistles of full-fat Messenger, including the tracking and poo poo, I just need to participate in group messages.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pivo posted:

my little brother that my parents had when i was ~16~ is going to be going to my old high school in a year

Getting old is like, weird, man.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IAmKale posted:

Is there an equivalent to Messenger Lite for iOS? I don’t want all of the bells and whistles of full-fat Messenger, including the tracking and poo poo, I just need to participate in group messages.

Friendly is a web-wrapper app for Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and other social networks. It has ad blocking and tracker blocking available as well.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Big Word posted:

I had no idea how different being a kid today was vs. when I was a kid until I saw a little girl walking around with an Apple Watch and just using an iPhone to play games. It wasn't like her family was super rich or anything either, it's just par for the course these days - even in elementary school. Hell, I was surprised when a cousin of mine told me he's learning sex ed in 4th grade.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

FCKGW posted:

Friendly is a web-wrapper app for Facebook, Messenger, Instagram and other social networks. It has ad blocking and tracker blocking available as well.

Happy to confirm Friendly is great; a little buggy sometimes, but great.

Not having ads (even on links you click through) is worth the 3 bucks or whatever

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How silly of an idea would it be to buy an iPhone X on the IUP right now?

I’m okay with paying some catch up payments in October if something comes out that I’d really like, but there seems to be more FCC filings and rumors floating around then usual for this time of year, should I wait a bit longer?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Unless you’re just in dire need of a phone I’d wait, new phone will be out in about six months.

That or find something old and used to hold you over.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It feels like the sensor that turns the screen off when near to your face is ultra sensitive after updating. The same movements I’ve always done like when pressing back at the top left turn the screen off.’its ultra annoying.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
That sensor should only activate during phone calls, something’s up with your phone.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rebooting seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for the bugs Tim!!!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Happy to confirm Friendly is great; a little buggy sometimes, but great.

Not having ads (even on links you click through) is worth the 3 bucks or whatever

I'm sure it's not great on the privacy front and reads all your IG/FB poo poo but it really, really helps on the battery side of things.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

I'm sure it's not great on the privacy front and reads all your IG/FB poo poo but it really, really helps on the battery side of things.

So I think I’m missing something here but the app seems great but you can’t see your IG dms or reply to them??

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Friendly is a front-end to the web versions of FB and IG and is limited to whatever web functionality they offer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Friendly is a front-end to the web versions of FB and IG and is limited to whatever web functionality they offer.

Oh drat that kinda sucks I was hoping I could stop using the IG app all together but guess not.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The GPS on my 6S+ seems to have gone wonky. While walking through an open field this afternoon it insisted that I was walking down the middle of a highway about 500 meters to the west, showed me in people's back yards while walking down a residential street and at home, standing still in the yard with clear skies, it keeps bouncing me from somewhere around my neighbor's house to the yard across the street while that blue margin-of-error circle never shrinks. It also can't find me if I turn on airplane mode, so I'm guessing that it can't pick up any satellites.

I bought it in September of last year so it's still under warranty and I've got an appointment at the Apple Store on Tuesday. In cases like this where it's under warranty and not broken due to user abuse will they just replace it, or will I potentially be without a phone for days while they send it out for repair?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
If they can reproduce the issue and it isn’t fixed by a restore, they will replace it then and there unless the diagnostics flag it for further screening and a trip to the repair facility. Then it takes 3-5 days and they can offer you a loaner.

They’ll most likely just replace your phone.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Take screenshots when it does it too.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So I took the leap to the dark side, and joined the iWorld yesterday. What are some of the must have apps and stuff for it? Also, I do miss the customizability of my android phone...any way to rearrange icons on the home screen without jailbreaking? I mean, i suppose I *could* jail break, but I don't really want to just to move icon's off my kid's face.

I will say, using the default mail app actually got me to start deleting emails. Which i haven't done in forever, but if i'm going to have to select a bunch of emails to mark as read, i might as well just delete them, considering most are junk anyway.

So far the one thing that has sucked the most is having to replace all my chargers, again. (I had an s8 that said kiddo broke, so i had a bunch of usb-c chargers, and now am having to redo everything as lightning.)

And the family share with icloud - does that include things like reminders? I showed my husband the wonders of using siri for things like grocery lists, and i just set us both up with the same icloud account to make sharing stuff easier, but if that can be done with family sharing, i should do that. Basically, i switched over because it's an actually pocket sized phone, the red looks dope as hell, and the apple watch. I love the samsung gears, but they're so big compared to the 38mm. Even if it is square, it actually looks good on me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can share a reminder list with other people, yes.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Take screenshots when it does it too.

Well, I just took a walk and took screenshots as it kept placing me everywhere except where I was actually walking. In order to actually have followed the path it says I took I would have had to been sprinting through the woods in the dark following a completely nonsensical path and somehow climbed over a sound barrier at one point. Hopefully that will convince them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

AA is for Quitters posted:

any way to rearrange icons on the home screen without jailbreaking?
Yeah I dont think thats ever going to happen but I hope to be wrong about it. Unrelated, but try giving Safari a chance. Android got me used to throwing out all the default apps and loading third party ones. But Apple's tend to be pretty solid and play nicely with other iDevices you may get in the future. I personally like the built in Mail app. Some goons recommend others, but it's always suited me just fine for my personal and school email. Be sure to ask seemingly dumb questions here because iOS has a lot of shortcuts and quality-of-life tricks that are frustratingly buried behind gestures which would otherwise take you months to accidentally figure out. On that note, you probably already deleted the Tips app. Its worth going through everything. I was an iPhone owner for maybe two months before I realized swiping left on the Messages app reveals message timestamps.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

So I took the leap to the dark side, and joined the iWorld yesterday. What are some of the must have apps and stuff for it? Also, I do miss the customizability of my android phone...any way to rearrange icons on the home screen without jailbreaking? I mean, i suppose I *could* jail break, but I don't really want to just to move icon's off my kid's face.

You probably can't jailbreak anyway, assuming you have updated to the latest IOS version.

So far the one thing that has sucked the most is having to replace all my chargers, again. (I had an s8 that said kiddo broke, so i had a bunch of usb-c chargers, and now am having to redo everything as lightning.)

You can buy a couple of USB-C lightning cables and use your existing chargers. If your chargers have USB-PD they will even charge your phone slightly faster.

And the family share with icloud - does that include things like reminders? I showed my husband the wonders of using siri for things like grocery lists, and i just set us both up with the same icloud account to make sharing stuff easier, but if that can be done with family sharing, i should do that.

Definitely do not log in to the same iCloud account.
You can share reminder lists with anyone, it doesn't have anything to do with Family Sharing.
The Family is useful for things like buying an app once and letting everyone else own it for free.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

any way to rearrange icons on the home screen without jailbreaking?

Someone posted this a while ago, but try this: http://www.makeovr.io/

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My wife has been having an issue with her Iphone X where it will show that she is connected to a Wifi signal even when she is not. It will not allow her to do anything (except call people) on her phone since it shows that there is wifi but no internet connection.

Any idea of what could be causing this or what could be done to fix it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Learn to use spotlight and you won’t care where your icons end up anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife has been having an issue with her Iphone X where it will show that she is connected to a Wifi signal even when she is not. It will not allow her to do anything (except call people) on her phone since it shows that there is wifi but no internet connection.

Any idea of what could be causing this or what could be done to fix it?

Are you absolutely sure that it's not inadvertently connected to a weird SSID that doesn't actually have internet?

If not, I guess Reset Network Settings?