Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've had amazing smoked prime rib (at a p fancy restaurant, haven't experimented with it myself). I would base the temps on Kenji's reverse-seared prime rib as a starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Oh no, I've smoked a prime rib before to a great, delicious medium rare. I'm talking about slow cooking that sucker for 10 hours to an internal temp of 200 like a brisket.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Please don't cook prime rib to 200f...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

arisu posted:

Oh no, I've smoked a prime rib before to a great, delicious medium rare. I'm talking about slow cooking that sucker for 10 hours to an internal temp of 200 like a brisket.

jesus christ

buy the best cut of meat you can, reverse sear and smoke until rare. it won't be that different from what comes out of the oven

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Like I said, I've already done that and it turned out great.

Basically, I like slow smoked beef ribs more than I like prime rib. Meaty beef ribs are a bit harder to come by. I'm not talking about going and buying the best USDA Prime rib roast for this, I'm just thinking if the supermarket does a $5/lb sale on bone in rib roasts, I could try smoking it and seeing how it turns out.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

arisu posted:

Basically, I like slow smoked beef ribs more than I like prime rib. Meaty beef ribs are a bit harder to come by. I'm not talking about going and buying the best USDA Prime rib roast for this, I'm just thinking if the supermarket does a $5/lb sale on bone in rib roasts, I could try smoking it and seeing how it turns out.

Not many grand discoveries have occurred by listening to nay sayers. If it's cheap enough meat give it a shot and let us know the results. Maybe the nay sayers are right, but maybe you'll make an amazing meal by daring to go against conventional wisdom. Its cooking, not neurosurgery, get creative.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

qutius posted:

The slow and sear is expensive, but I've gotten so much use out of it. Any type of replication turns the standard Weber into a solid smoker, IMO, it is a great method to produce some super tasty results.

By replication do you mean the method I described, or are there knock off Slow n Sear's that I should know about?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not many grand discoveries have occurred by listening to nay sayers. If it's cheap enough meat give it a shot and let us know the results. Maybe the nay sayers are right, but maybe you'll make an amazing meal by daring to go against conventional wisdom. Its cooking, not neurosurgery, get creative.

This is monumentally dumb.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

arisu posted:

So I've always heard that ribeye isn't really suited for slow smoking, but what happens if I got a 3-4 bone roast and just cooked it like a brisket? Will it get tough and dry? Always been a little curious.

I imagine it would result in pulled beef.

arisu posted:

Our larger costco has a huge meat locker that includes dino-sized beef ribs. Since our backup freezer bit the dust we haven't had room for large purchases like that.
edit: IIRC they were around $3.99/lb

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 22, 2018

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is monumentally dumb.

:shrug:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Smother that prime rib in taco seasoning first

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Indolent Bastard posted:

By replication do you mean the method I described, or are there knock off Slow n Sear's that I should know about?

I'm not aware of any knock-offs, so the method that you were describing.

sellouts posted:

Smother that prime rib in taco seasoning first

Pour a jar of salsa over it second.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

I imagine it would result in pulled beef.

Our larger costco has a huge meat locker that includes dino-sized beef ribs. Since our backup freezer bit the dust we haven't had room for large purchases like that.
edit: IIRC they were around $3.99/lb

I think I need to ask my Costco folks to see if they carry the same. Everytime I've been there I haven't seen any beef ribs on the meat section put out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wish I could find beef ribs for 3.99/lb. But haven't been to costco for a while.

Did wings a couple nights ago. Turned out great. First real smoke of the year after my aborted easter ham.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Colostomy Bag posted:

aborted easter ham.

What happened here?

Mine turned out decent. 225 for like 4 hours, one of those pre cooked spiral cut guys (13lb). Tossed on the glaze and tossed in the oven at like 450 for 10 mins at the end.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Moey posted:

What happened here?

Mine turned out decent. 225 for like 4 hours, one of those pre cooked spiral cut guys (13lb). Tossed on the glaze and tossed in the oven at like 450 for 10 mins at the end.

Eh, I misjudged the weather and underestimated how long to get the cooker up to temp based on the previous 300 times I've done it. I was basically doing the same style ham as you (I think mine was a 10 lber or so). Wind started to pick up, outside temps started to drop and my smoker just wasn't happy reaching a decent temp. Maybe I didn't light off enough coals, maybe they were a little damp, I tossed in the last remnants of a Kingsford bag...whatever. Got a little cockey on trying to pull off what should have been a super easy reheating job and the smoking gods disapproved.

Live and learn.

Ended up tossing it in the oven. Oven space for us is always an issue but we squeezed it in to finish it off so dinner was saved.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

arisu posted:

I think I need to ask my Costco folks to see if they carry the same. Everytime I've been there I haven't seen any beef ribs on the meat section put out.

This Costco has both a regular cooler case meat section for the cut stuff as well as a humongous walk-in cooler with whole slabs of meat.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

This Costco has both a regular cooler case meat section for the cut stuff as well as a humongous walk-in cooler with whole slabs of meat.

Oh drat which Costco is that? Mine has two walk-in cooler sections but those are for produce and dairy.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
In my town, it's the Costco that is called a "business center." They also sell a lot of industrial grade restaurant appliances and supplies which is pretty sweet.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Oh drat, I've seen those around. There's a bit of a drive to one but I never thought to go there to look for meat.

Gotta check one out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

There's only 9 of them in the US according to their site. :( Closest one to me is 4 hours away.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

qutius posted:

I'm not aware of any knock-offs, so the method that you were describing.

There are definitely knockoffs. Any you see on AZ not sold by Adrenaline Barbecue are private label bootlegs.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Indolent Bastard posted:

There's the Smokenator which is similar but doesn't do the sear thing like the Slow'n'Sear. I have one laying around somewhere. It's a good way to get smoking in a kettle if you don't know what you're doing but it's really unnecessary.

I want a knock-off BBQ Vortex as none of the resellers ship to Canada.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
This WSM continues to amaze me. I did three briskets last night for a co-workers retirement party. I do what's called the minion method. 15 pounds of charcoal, hickory for flavor, flip the chimney upside down and only light that small amount of coals. Pour it on the center and put the vents half open. It held temp for over 12 hours without so much as a 15 degree shift overnight with no management. Also, that little Weber iGrill bluetooth thermometer I got is the best thing I ever bought.

Setting her up

Trimmed and rubbed (the third one is on the bottom rack)

Moving along nicely

The Payoff

15 minutes after the line started

I made two sauces to go with it, a South Carolina style mustard base(my favorite) and a Texas style tomato base that was ok, but I can do better. All I use for a rub on a brisket is the coarsest ground salt and black pepper I can find. Works like a charm.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm going to make these wings tomorrow afternoon:

http://dontsweattherecipe.com/amazing-smoked-chicken-wings/#wprm-recipe-container-13338

Would it better to let them sit in the rub overnight and marinate, or do it tomorrow? I'm worried about them changing texture or getting too salty.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Farking Bastage posted:

This WSM continues to amaze me. I did three briskets last night for a co-workers retirement party. I do what's called the minion method. 15 pounds of charcoal, hickory for flavor, flip the chimney upside down and only light that small amount of coals. Pour it on the center and put the vents half open. It held temp for over 12 hours without so much as a 15 degree shift overnight with no management. Also, that little Weber iGrill bluetooth thermometer I got is the best thing I ever bought.

Setting her up

Trimmed and rubbed (the third one is on the bottom rack)

Moving along nicely

The Payoff

15 minutes after the line started

I made two sauces to go with it, a South Carolina style mustard base(my favorite) and a Texas style tomato base that was ok, but I can do better. All I use for a rub on a brisket is the coarsest ground salt and black pepper I can find. Works like a charm.

that looks great but I think you did yourself a disservice by not doing a 4th brisket. It doesn't look like there was any leftovers...

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Canuckistan posted:

http://dontsweattherecipe.com/amazing-smoked-chicken-wings/#wprm-recipe-container-13338

Would it better to let them sit in the rub overnight and marinate, or do it tomorrow? I'm worried about them changing texture or getting too salty.

No reason to let a rub sit but a marinade you should let sit for at least 1-2 hours. Also this recipe looks good and I might even try it today.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Trastion posted:

that looks great but I think you did yourself a disservice by not doing a 4th brisket. It doesn't look like there was any leftovers...

Me too! I made up for it by grilling a couple of filets on the weber kettle when I got home :D

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I like a rub to sit and soak up whatever liquid I applied below it

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

RisqueBarber posted:

No reason to let a rub sit but a marinade you should let sit for at least 1-2 hours. Also this recipe looks good and I might even try it today.

Personal opinion but for things other than seafood, I think 2 hours is too short for most marinades.

Marinades- 4-12 hours
Brines- 12-24 hours

It's just that when I only marinade for 2 hours, the center part of the meat is still unseasoned.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

RisqueBarber posted:

Trip report: Good! I smoked for 2 hours at 225 with apple wood and it was yummy. I did find I needed a lot more oil than called for to get the rub into a consistency that could be tossed in a bowl. I also cut to cayenne pepper in half. I also tried the white sauce they recommend but it was too vinegary for me. I think I would have been happier just serving some blue cheese ranch dressing.

5 Lbs of wings took up the entire top rack of the 22.5 WSM. Any more I'd have to use the bottom rack. I had 10 guys over last night and it was a great starter app.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 27, 2018

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Canuckistan posted:

Trip report: Good! I smoked for 2 hours at 225 with apple wood and it was yummy. I did find I needed a lot more oil than called for to get the rub into a consistency that could be tossed in a bowl. I also cut to cayenne pepper in half. I also tried the white sauce they recommend but it was too vinegary for me. I think I would have been happier just serving some blue cheese ranch dressing.

5 Lbs of wings took up the entire top rack of the 22.5 WSM. Any more I'd have to use the bottom rack. I had 10 guys over last night and it was a great starter app.

Hell yeah. I don't typically like dry rubs but this one was fantastic so thanks for the recipe. I halved the recipe and smoked them on a PBC, also using apple wood. They cooked a little faster than I had intended (about an hour) but they are still pretty tasty. We just dipped ours in bleu cheese and ranch.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I found a before pic. There was no after pic because my guests cleaned the platter before I could think about getting my phone. Seriously, I went out to put some burgers on and came back to 5 flats left on the tray. I snagged em before they hoovered those up too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuckistan posted:

That recipe looks great, but I知 doing the Cajun smoked wings on Sunday, along with a whole chicken for my mom that I知 probably gonna brine in something this.

I also finally convinced my mom to eat a pork butt later in the week, so that値l be fun.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 28, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm smoking brisket for the first time tomorrow. I'm scared! Hold me!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

That recipe looks great, but I知 doing the Cajun smoked wings on Sunday, along with a whole chicken for my mom that I知 probably gonna brine in something.

I also finally convinced my mom to eat a pork butt later in the week, so that値l be fun.

She knows that it isn't actually a "butt" right?

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm smoking brisket for the first time tomorrow. I'm scared! Hold me!

Start 1 to 2 hours earlier than you already planned on.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

atothesquiz posted:

Start 1 to 2 hours earlier than you already planned on.

This but like 4-5

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What do you all use for thermometers to monitor the smoke temp? My smoker's thermometer is dead - it reads 100 degrees right now and it's dusk and 70 degrees and cold to the touch.

Nothing fancy, like bluetooth/wifi and all that is needed, unless it's inexpensive (like $30).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

QuarkMartial posted:

What do you all use for thermometers to monitor the smoke temp? My smoker's thermometer is dead - it reads 100 degrees right now and it's dusk and 70 degrees and cold to the touch.

Nothing fancy, like bluetooth/wifi and all that is needed, unless it's inexpensive (like $30).

Thermoworks Smoke is supposed to be pretty good. It isn稚 $30 though.

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Thermoworks stuff in general seems to be the go-to for cooking thermometer needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I have a redi chek that I like.