Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this poo poo is so dumb on the harder difficulties. literally get three shot by same level generic mooks, who take like ten hits to kill. awesome.

They should strip the health bonuses out. It would be fine otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Played for 9 hours today :captainpop:

My son is EXTREMELY POWERFUL

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Republicans posted:

Anyone else getting a strong Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver vibe from this game?

Reminds me of Too Human except it's made by people who knew what they were doing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Calaveron posted:

Kinda disappointed that as far as I understand the gow series is about using a million different weapons and tools while this gow has the axe, your fists, the boy and that's it as far as I know (past Alfheim)
Also can we make DAD an official game genre now? Last of us, this game, come on

Keep playing the game. It is a long game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I absolutely hate the runic chests . Haaaaaaaate

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

veni veni veni posted:

I absolutely hate the runic chests . Haaaaaaaate

It really must cater to everyone because I love the break in combat for them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like them a lot and have gotten every one I’ve seen so far but some of them are super sneaky.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They’d be fine if they applied auto aim a bit. The aiming feels so clunky. Either that or don’t make the timing so drat unforgiving.

I just spent a straight 15 minutes on one in alfheim and I never want to do another one again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just got a boat, and I'm doing side stuff, but I can't go back to the blacksmith

does it become blindingly obvious at which point you can do so because i have got a poo poo ton of money and materials

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

veni veni veni posted:

They’d be fine if they applied auto aim a bit. The aiming feels so clunky. Either that or don’t make the timing so drat unforgiving.

I just spent a straight 15 minutes on one in alfheim and I never want to do another one again.

The one with the, uh, elevator layers? Yeah that one took me a hot minute b/c it was awkward. At least it wasn't a timed one.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

precision posted:

I just got a boat, and I'm doing side stuff, but I can't go back to the blacksmith

does it become blindingly obvious at which point you can do so because i have got a poo poo ton of money and materials

You run into the blacksmiths every time you do something of note(or so it seems.) They move around a lot so don't sweat it if you can't go back right now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I feel like I'm gonna eventually need to drop to Normal difficulty because the enemies have SO MUCH HEALTH. It sucks when you're wailing on something but the stun takes so long to kick in plus some enemies are just so loving spongy. I can deal with a difficulty adding more enemies or attack patterns but just having dudes soak up so much poo poo is bonkers

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
BROK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Centre of screen, L2 then R1? It doesn't seem hard and there is some grace on arrows. I just centre and mash square.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DLC Inc posted:

I feel like I'm gonna eventually need to drop to Normal difficulty because the enemies have SO MUCH HEALTH. It sucks when you're wailing on something but the stun takes so long to kick in plus some enemies are just so loving spongy. I can deal with a difficulty adding more enemies or attack patterns but just having dudes soak up so much poo poo is bonkers

You can cut down hordes on normal eventually. It also seemed hard at the start but once you have runic upgrades and poo poo plus a few favourite combos you can smash through anything and look good doing it. It also started out feeling hard and I come very close to death every now and then, but Atreus gets some health drop abilities and stuff if you're suffering, but I prefer having him capable of destroying poo poo with dear old dad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Centre of screen, L2 then R1? It doesn't seem hard and there is some grace on arrows. I just centre and mash square.

You can use arrows on rune chests?

esperterra posted:

The one with the, uh, elevator layers? Yeah that one took me a hot minute b/c it was awkward. At least it wasn't a timed one.

Much later. You have to line them up. Two are outside of windows and the last is right by the chest. The timing is insanely unforgiving. If you overshoot and have to adjust you aim at all it resets. Took me like 50 tries.

Now I'm in the elf sanctuary. This game has some surprisingly hard puzzly poo poo.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I am super stuck. I assume that I'm about 75% through the story, give or take, so this is all going behind spoilers. I'm on The Black Rune quest, for what it's worth.

So Atreus has just learned the truth, and rather than continuing the story I thought I'd do some exploring. I headed back to the the River Pass area, and now I'm stuck at the village just before Freya's hut.

I can't go forward, because the stone I'd normally lift is overgrown with vines, and if I head west through the clearing with the big ribcage and rune door, I come to that room with the spiked ceiling. I can't go further that way because there's no way to raise the roof without standing on it.

Am I missing a Mystic Gateway or something? This seems like it shouldn't be able to happen.

Great game, but some of the navigation is harder than it oughta be.

EDIT: Nevermind, there's was another way out of the spiked ceiling room.

GlenMR fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 22, 2018

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
Fun fact: The magic word the Witch of the Woods use to reveal her hidden cottage - heimli - is a mashup of the old Norwegian words for Home and Secret.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I’m playing on balanced and the difficulty feels real good. It’s right in the sweet spot where enemies have enough health that you can kind of beat up on them for a while in a satisfying way and you can get creative with combos, but you have to watch your rear end or else you’ll get rocked. But if I do pay attention I’m usually ok and end most fights with between 1/2 - 2/3rds of my health, which feels about right.

The axe feels fantastic and the boomeraxe mechanic is really amazing. Even outside of combat I find myself goofing around with it a lot, like I’ll just throw it into some wall/tree or down some chasm and see how far away I can get from it before recalling it. Sometimes it’s fun just to throw and recall for no reason just to see and hear it slamming back into your hand. And even when your axe is off stuck in some enemy, hand to hand combat feels just as great. And Spartan Rage feels absolutely brutal. Imagine you set a gorilla on fire and put it in a room full of zombies, basically.

Game’s good.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think the mechanics of the combat are extremely good, but the combination of the camera being way too close, the weird way that the camera sticks on enemies when you're not even locked on, and the fact that every fight has people spawning all around you makes for some really frustrating situations.

Aiming and throwing the axe is done with the exact same controls as aiming and shooting in every single FPS so I'm not sure why I gently caress it up CONSTANTLY

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

You can use arrows on rune chests?

No I assumed light bridges. Still I never found it hard to hit the runes and if you have to try a second throw ah well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't stress enough how good the double shield slam is. The second slam sends a wave of force out that does enormous stun and damage. That poo poo is my go to when runes are cooling off and there are many creatures to slay. It also knocks back for miles.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

No I assumed light bridges. Still I never found it hard to hit the runes and if you have to try a second throw ah well.

None of the ones I’m referring to would give you even close to enough time for a second throw.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

parabolic posted:

I'm so conflicted about the combat changes in this game. I want the series to evolve mechanically, but I feel super claustrophobic sitting so close and so off center behind Kratos. I find myself missing the reach of his classic chain weapons a lot, and so the combat feels a bit... stifling? Everything looks so good, and we're just smashed up too close to it, IMO. Everything else about the presentation and story is loving incredible though.

huge spoiler:
I have good news for you

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

None of the ones I’m referring to would give you even close to enough time for a second throw.

Start again then? Some of the bells will toll longer than others as well so you can set up. I got caught starting with the wrong bell on one puzzle, then changed the order and it was much easier.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Much later. You have to line them up. Two are outside of windows and the last is right by the chest. The timing is insanely unforgiving. If you overshoot and have to adjust you aim at all it resets. Took me like 50 tries.

Now I'm in the elf sanctuary. This game has some surprisingly hard puzzly poo poo.

Were you running back and forth trying to hit them? I kept failing trying to do that until I realized there's a spot that you can hit them all from without moving

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Or just the overall RPG aspects in general. "gently caress them, it's not our problem. Don't gently caress up my weapons, they're already perfect."
He's still in a hack and slash.

I love how when he find some side quest about helping a ghost or other he is quickly goes to "not my problem" mode.

I am playing in easy and the enemies that give me problems are some type of shielded mobs, and these witches that teleport around and shot poison.

I advanced the story too quick and neglected upgrading and doing side quest for upgrades and It feel like the game punish me for it. The game want the player to upgrade stuff at a good pace.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The patch that just dropped makes the game properly respect your display area setting, btw

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I get that the Norse realms at the beginning of Ragnarok would probably be hosed up, but do they ever explain why Midgard seems like it already started there? Or do the Norse gods just give less of a poo poo about mortals than the Greek ones did?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Also ypu can now adjust text size

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I never had a dad but I love the interaction between dad and his fail son here. I imagine that's what having a dad is like.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

The patch that just dropped makes the game properly respect your display area setting, btw

You can adjust the text size as well now, I think.

Also my controller isn't buggy any more so maybe that was actually an issue they hotfixed? Someone in the PlayStation thread was having the same issue. My controller didn't have any weirdness w/ the left stick when I tested it with NieR before work so I was pretty sure w/e it was it was GoW related, either a bug or like someone suggested maybe their deadzone calibration is whack and my controller was off just enough to make it go buggy.

I bought a new controller after work and everything!! ALL FOR NAUGHT!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ran into another mini boss whatever fight thing that I had to bump difficulty down to easy to beat. I got so dang close and then they just randomly poo poo out creatures behind you out of nowhere. I can't stand that poo poo. I can barely survive this huge thing kicking my rear end left and right, then you decide to drop 5 dudes who explode into this? Get hosed.

I'm still enjoying the game immensely, though. The amount of fun puzzles and exploring some pretty cool scenery is just tits.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Was it the fire ancient? He wrecked my poo poo until I realized he was optional.

e:

https://mobile.twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/987447548381024256

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't think this game was gonna have so much humor, and it's good

Atreus giving Kratos poo poo for pushing every button and pulling every lever he sees lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DLC Inc posted:

I stuck it out on Challenging and it became much more manageable once I fully maxed out my shield skills and Atreus got Light Arrows. You can build up the stun meter so fast with fists + arrows + shield that it doesn't even matter how much HP the bad guys have because Kratos is ripping them in half with R3 every couple seconds.

Atreus upgrades are really important, especially his rate of fire and stun/expose passives.

gently caress I'm off to play more God of War!!! :black101:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's gotta be some trickery going on with these 7 realms or this game is enormous in length. I've only done Alfheim and I'm probably 10+ hours in. Although I have done pretty much all the side stuff I can find.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

There's gotta be some trickery going on with these 7 realms or this game is enormous in length. I've only done Alfheim and I'm probably 10+ hours in. Although I have done pretty much all the side stuff I can find.

I've been playing for ages (like nearly 20 hours or something just shy of that) and it just gave me a new item... I was like what the gently caress how much more of this is there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can't wait until someone puts out a GoW highlight reel because as cool as Kratos looks in combat to me, I believe a more skilled gamer than I could make it all flow masterfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I can't wait until someone puts out a GoW highlight reel because as cool as Kratos looks in combat to me, I believe a more skilled gamer than I could make it all flow masterfully.

I felt like I was wasting what the game was giving me for about ten hours then it clicked into place. Simply upgrading your axe and learning to either take a brief pause after a strike or hold down R1 before dropping a rune power is some cinematic poo poo.