Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

Apartment owners who live in blocks with flammable cladding could witness a significant drop in property prices, NSW Labor has warned.

Opposition Better Regulation spokeswoman Yasmin Catley raised concerns homeowners could be affected by a similar house price collapse to Britain, where a resident of a complex clad in panels like those on London's Grenfell Tower recently had her £475,000 ($867,000) home valued at £50,000 ($91,000).

Ms Catley said affected homeowners in NSW could also face huge costs to replace combustible cladding.

“Besides a threat to life and property, the cladding debacle overseen by [the Berejiklian] government stands to have a massive financial impact on property owners.

“Losing up to 90 per cent of the value of a property would spell financial doom for homeowners and investors alike.

She said government figures showed 412 buildings had been identified as high priority because they had cladding that could increase fire risks.

Of those, 170 were residential and 53 were high-rise buildings.

Ms Catley's concerns coincided with changes to home building laws, which the government announced on Sunday, to give residents longer to have unsafe cladding rectified by their builder.

Better Regulation Minister Matt Kean said the change to regulations would mean unsafe external wall cladding that caused or posed a fire safety risk would be classified as a major defect.

“This means anyone who buys a unit or townhouse with unsafe external cladding has the right to get repairs done by the responsible builder for up to six years after the building is completed,” Mr Kean said.

Mr Kean said the protection was the most recent in a series of ongoing reforms about the use of cladding across the state.

NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rose Webb last month called for public submissions about whether a building product use ban was warranted on certain types of external cladding.

“Residents who are concerned about major defects in their building should contact the builder or developer, in the first instance,” Mr Kean said.

I can't wait for a rise in articles about "vanishing in the night" phoenix builders & developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lmao what is this

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Nobody add context, it's funnier this way.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

Lmao what is this

you loving monster

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

DancingShade posted:

I can't wait for a rise in articles about "vanishing in the night" phoenix builders & developers.

Friendly reminder Salim Mehajar's "job" was property developer and him on the council was just to get his own work done. Would you be happy to hear all your blocks wete made by Salim and Co?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
sir, this is a gulag

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Lid posted:

Apartment owners who live in blocks with flammable cladding could witness a significant drop in property prices, NSW Labor has warned.

Opposition Better Regulation spokeswoman Yasmin Catley raised concerns homeowners could be affected by a similar house price collapse to Britain, where a resident of a complex clad in panels like those on London's Grenfell Tower recently had her £475,000 ($867,000) home valued at £50,000 ($91,000).

Ms Catley said affected homeowners in NSW could also face huge costs to replace combustible cladding.

“Besides a threat to life and property, the cladding debacle overseen by [the Berejiklian] government stands to have a massive financial impact on property owners.

“Losing up to 90 per cent of the value of a property would spell financial doom for homeowners and investors alike.

She said government figures showed 412 buildings had been identified as high priority because they had cladding that could increase fire risks.

Of those, 170 were residential and 53 were high-rise buildings.

Ms Catley's concerns coincided with changes to home building laws, which the government announced on Sunday, to give residents longer to have unsafe cladding rectified by their builder.

Better Regulation Minister Matt Kean said the change to regulations would mean unsafe external wall cladding that caused or posed a fire safety risk would be classified as a major defect.

“This means anyone who buys a unit or townhouse with unsafe external cladding has the right to get repairs done by the responsible builder for up to six years after the building is completed,” Mr Kean said.

Mr Kean said the protection was the most recent in a series of ongoing reforms about the use of cladding across the state.

NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rose Webb last month called for public submissions about whether a building product use ban was warranted on certain types of external cladding.

“Residents who are concerned about major defects in their building should contact the builder or developer, in the first instance,” Mr Kean said.

It’s almost as if privatising building regulation across the country was a loving terrible idea, thanks PJK and associated state premiers from both parties :thumbsup:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's ok. It's primarily boomers who will be affected since most everyone else can't afford to buy anyway.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Banks bad and unions good?

Has Bolt fallen off a ladder recently?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I think he's implying that the banks failure will allow rampant leftism to ruin the country? Idk I never get beyond the headlines with him

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

I think he's implying that the banks failure will allow rampant leftism to ruin the country? Idk I never get beyond the headlines with him

Yeah that was my guess too.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Change from within

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

If the cfmeu absorbed the fsu I wouldn't complain.

You'd see the big banks absolutely poo poo themselves though

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The Murdoch empire is certainly on a role as far as unintentionally union friendly headlines go.

Maybe Rupert dead and his kids are trashing the place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That or they've finally lost the filter and have turned into the Captain Planet villains they always had the potential to be.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Great, thanks Andrew!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Don Dongington posted:

The Murdoch empire is certainly on a role as far as unintentionally union friendly headlines go.

Maybe Rupert dead and his kids are trashing the place.

Lachlan believes in the same ideas and methods as his dad, but is staggeringly incompetent at business. James rejects Rupert's methods, and is a stay rich with the third way politics type, but is quite good at business.

So yeah I can't tell which one is pulling the strings right now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Elisabeth was more talented than either of them but she got the shits with Rupert (who for some reason never really thought she was as capable as James or Lachlan? :iiam:).

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://twitter.com/ghostwhovotes/status/988018925563592705

lol Australia deserves and will receive death death death

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can't wait for Labor to lose because of McManus.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I wonder what the movement is?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

When you try to legalise weed but you lose votes because Australia only likes to get high if its illegal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I want to see a lib, nat and one nation coalition government in the lower house next election. I don't want these times to end but also I think they need to spice up next season.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 22, 2018

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Australians are really dumb lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for the LNP to get re-elected federally with a clear majority. They will celebrate by establishing annual Hunger Games that draw from the pool of Centrelink recipients.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Krabboss posted:

Australians are really dumb lol

Correct

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lol we're going to skip the Rudd years and go straight into a beleagured minority Labor govt that the media refuses to accept as legitimate this time aren't we.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
The curse of the one term PM lives on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like Howard put some kind of Voldemort-esque curse on the position.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like Howard put some kind of Voldemort-esque curse on the position.

Yes, it's called "After Howard spent 3 terms emptying the public coffers into their pockets, Greedy boomers will toss anyone who doesn't give them everything in the first term"

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 22, 2018

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-23/barnaby-joyce-calls-for-partners-to-work-in-parliament/9685848

quote:

Former deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce wants an overhaul to the hiring regulations at Parliament House, so politicians can work alongside their partners.
Speaking with ABC's National Wrap after the birth of his son Sebastian last week, Mr Joyce has promised to do everything he can to be a good father, and believes that starts with changing the culture of politics.
"Canberra is a weird place," he said.
"It's like a big old boarding school up on a hill in the middle of Canberra... and we should be allowing partners as much as possible to be there as well. Otherwise you have this dysfunctional dichotomy where you have one life in Canberra, another life at home...[and] after a decade it just does not work and things fall apart. I don't want that to happen again."
Mr Joyce split from his wife Natalie last year and is now in a relationship with his former media adviser Vikki Campion, who gave birth to Sebastian a week ago.
The former deputy prime minister thinks marriages can be saved if the employment rules at Parliament House are changed.

Working alongside your partner or sibling is common practice in some family businesses, but in politics it is not allowed.
The Members of Parliament Staff Act states Senators and MPs cannot hire their partner, children, parent or sibling.
"This is insane that a partner who probably knows more about your office than anyone else can't work in your office," he said.
"If they are qualified to do the job, if they have the qualifications, then why not allow them to do it?"
However, he said he does not believe his ex-wife would have wanted to work with him, nor would Ms Campion want to come back to his office.
"I don't think Vikki would want to work for me to be quite frank... but it is insane to think that if she did want to work for me, she couldn't."
Mr Joyce dismissed suggestions that such changes would result in a conflict of interest.
"No I don't think it's a conflict of interest. So often in this game people expect you to turn up as a couple. They expect you to turn up as family."

Mr Joyce said he was supposed to be taking time off work following the birth of Sebastian, but he's still been speaking to the media.
"I can't help myself," he said.
Mr Joyce said he took Ms Campion and Sebastian to a National Park and they also attended a local footy match over the weekend.
"We are just enjoying our own company and just trying to be a family and hang around the dinner table which I really enjoy," he said.
"I know it is peculiar circumstances... but I'm going to try the very best job I possibly can and make sure that Seb has the very best dad he can possibly get."
Mr Joyce has four daughters with his former wife Natalie Joyce.
He's just such a family man, he needed a second family. Other pollies manage to avoid cheating on their spouses, Barnaby

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Barnaby Joyce posted:

"I can't help myself," he said. 
About sums it up, really.

bandaid.friend posted:

Other pollies manage to avoid cheating on their spouses, Barnaby
Not as many as you might hope. Most just aren't dumb enough to get the help knocked up, and their numerous infidelities remain an open secret known to many, including sometimes the spouse.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

How the gently caress is it still 50/50 2PP

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Kommando posted:

How the gently caress is it still 50/50 2PP

:australia:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Barnaby just wants to take down this drat anti nepotism brigade. Why shouldn't he be able to gift a cushy highly paid job to an unqualified mistress? Makes you think.

Axel Ferguson
Apr 19, 2008
Can we just blame Australia's electoral system for these sort of poll results? I suppose Australia doesn't have to deal with 6 months of formation talks, but I'm not sure if it's any better.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Jobs for mates is thankfully over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
1000 new centrelink call centre staff. good.

private contractors, casual positions, serco. bad.

jobs for mates (who own call centres) is very much alive

drunkill fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 22, 2018

• Locked thread