Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Grant Morrison Grayson-Bats is peak Batman and I will fight anyone who crosses me

This. The Grayson Batman Damien Robin dynamic was fun and it was fun to see Grayson have to take on the responsibility of being Batman and not just Nigtwing.

Also the matador villain who wore pink was pretty awesome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Super Troopers getting it done, Quiet has legs and the Rock is sinking

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I lost all interest in SP2 when I saw two of the dudes on Jimmy Fallon telling stories about how, like, Willy Nelson smoked out the one guy's federal agent friends and the other guy who got out of a ticket because a cop was a fan.

But maybe that's just because everything within a fifteen-foot radius of Fallon turns to poo poo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well there's that, and they were never funny in the first place. The early aughts were really lovely as far as movies go.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Super Troopers was honestly a pile of poo poo and the only reason anybody is bothering with 2 is because it came out on 4/20.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Super Troopers and Beerfest were amazing when I was 16, but I have no doubt they’re absolute poo poo to watch at 27.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly, I'm fine with Beerfest but Super Troopers is just conceptually bad. like, you can't really do a stoner comedy about cops, because either they're "cool" cops and it raises the question of why make them cops, or they're jackass cops and you just make the audience uncomfortable as gently caress, and Super Troopers goes with the latter option.

there's a couple individual jokes that are good, but the movie as a whole just does not work, from its very premise. also, the Afghanistanimation stuff is incredibly, INCREDIBLY racist. like, holy loving poo poo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Cooooooops!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Super Troopers 2 is C movie production but was funny and I laughed and had a good time. Also Emmanuelle Chriqui.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bad Boys 1 is about cool cops and it owns.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

Bad Boys 1 is about cool cops and it owns.

Well, one cool cop and another cop played by Martin Lawrence

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Super Troopers is a loving classic and if you can't let your hair down enough to enjoy a cheap dumb comedy about lovely cops then that's your problem.

i'm glad super troopers 2 is doing well and i intend to see it in theaters and i bet i will like it.

i even enjoyed slammin' salmon kinda so its not like im hard to please.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Today I found out that there's a remake of the Martha Coolidge film, Valley Girl. I also found out it's been shelved, in part, because Logan Paul is in it? What the hell.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I assume Isle of Dogs is doing well locally even if it isn't lighting the world on fire because it got a ton of screens this weekend.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I am all in favor of any movies that make cops look like stupid fuckoffs and encourage disrespect of law enforcement

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

I am all in favor of any movies that make cops look like stupid fuckoffs and encourage disrespect of law enforcement
The biggest idiots in law enforcement and the military love Super Troopers because they lack any self awareness whatsoever.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Verne Troyer, known for playing Mini-Me, passed away age 49.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TetsuoTW posted:

No it is Batman of the Future

Haha what is this

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The MSJ posted:

This looks like big news. And big news has big guts. Rip and tear.

https://twitter.com/ninabergman/status/986377088989937664
Please bring back Dwayne and Karl Urban so they can have another crack at being in a good Doom movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dwayne Johnson only wants happy ending for his movies so no.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Tearing out a cyberdemon's guts sounds happy to me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Uh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How does the game end

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

This looks like big news. And big news has big guts. Rip and tear.

https://twitter.com/ninabergman/status/986377088989937664

It's kinda weird that so far she's the only one that's willing to confirm their involvement in a new Doom movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The demons invade earth and put a bunny's head on a stake.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

The demons invade earth and put a bunny's head on a stake.

The bunny must live. Dwayne WILL walk if the bunny dies!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

JBP posted:

Haha what is this

The best Batman obviously

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

CelticPredator posted:

The last one had a happy ending. Not for him, obviously, but Karl Urban got to save the world and rescue his sister. Happy!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda weird that so far she's the only one that's willing to confirm their involvement in a new Doom movie.

Hopefully that's because there's no other humans in it, just Bergman killing demons while saying nothing.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

JBP posted:

Hopefully that's because there's no other humans in it, just Bergman killing demons while saying nothing.

If they are doing Doom 2016 story she's probably playing Olivia Pierce which is one hell of a role.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JBP posted:

Hopefully that's because there's no other humans in it, just Bergman killing demons while screaming YOURE HUGE! AND THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS! RIP AND TEAR!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Verne Troyer, known for playing Mini-Me, passed away age 49.

Rest In Peace

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's a downer. A lot of people don't realise that dwarfism is an actually disability (as well as gigantism) with a ton of attendant health problems, likely.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they should base doom on the books.not joking.

muscles like this! posted:

Ugh, they announced they're working on another Saw and it's probably going to be more of the same seeing as they're bringing back the screenwriters from Jigsaw (which sucked.)

jigsaw was hilarious because it had all the dumbest poo poo from the sequels cranked to 11. i was impressed with how loving stupid it was.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

they should base doom on the books.not joking.
Find a nice happy medium between the books and Doom 2016.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"They discovered a PORTAL TO HELL on MARS and DEMONS are coming through it! Are YOU a BAD ENOUGH DUDE to stop them?!" is a perfectly good premise for a sci-fi action movie (or anything, really) so I'm still not sure why they went with the "They have DOUBLE CHROMOSOMES and it turned them into MONSTERS!" in the old movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Find a nice happy medium between the books and Doom 2016.

Doom 2016 is at least partially inspired by the comic book. Rip & Tear is a literal gameplay mechanic.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

"They discovered a PORTAL TO HELL on MARS and DEMONS are coming through it! Are YOU a BAD ENOUGH DUDE to stop them?!" is a perfectly good premise for a sci-fi action movie (or anything, really) so I'm still not sure why they went with the "They have DOUBLE CHROMOSOMES and it turned them into MONSTERS!" in the old movie.

Doom 3 was the most recent game at the time and it had been going for a slower survival-horror tone, between that and the way that the mid-00s were a pretty dire time for action movies I could see how some weird mutation effect on a space colony might have been an easier sell to movie execs. The actual movie feels way more like a mix between The Thing and Aliens than the kind of high octane heavy metal album thing Doom is known for.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

they should base doom on the books.not joking

Mormon detected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Guy Mann posted:

Doom 3 was the most recent game at the time and it had been going for a slower survival-horror tone, between that and the way that the mid-00s were a pretty dire time for action movies I could see how some weird mutation effect on a space colony might have been an easier sell to movie execs. The actual movie feels way more like a mix between The Thing and Aliens than the kind of high octane heavy metal album thing Doom is known for.

It was so much worse off for it too. Like the FPS sequence was fun but the movie is 1 hour and 45 minutes long and like almost the first hour is JUST them stumbling around talking about mutated genes and stuff and you could like feel the embarrassment in the script. Like you could feel the script of the 2005 film Doom speaking directly to you, the viewer, saying "Look, I mean the game has demons from hell, but in space? That's really stupid, but don't worry we got it all figured out, it's okay for you to like Doom."

Also they made some pretty really cool practical monster outfits and puppets and makeup/masks* but only used them for like five seconds. Like they had all the pieces in place to make a raw, violent, grindhousey action flick and blew it all on badly executed "suspense" scenes and conversations about alien genomes, you can feel the unfortunate influence of the first Resident Evil movie on it. The entire movie is a pretty epic-level missing of the point of Doom.

Weirdly, if you any of you played DOOM RPG on mobile phones or its sequel, DOOM ][ RPG, somehow those games more effectively accomplish what the movie was going for while still feeling like DOOM. A genuine achievement since they're grid based dungeon crawling games.