Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

brocked posted:

I, for one, was kinda intrigued to see Wenger next season putting Lacazette, Aubaneyang, and Özil across the front line with Ramsey and Mkhitaryan behind, the problems seem to come to a head with the no 6 position and the center backs, really

Arsenal’s problem has never been attacking players.

Cech is past it, all of their defenders are garbage, and “holding” midfielders are Xhaka and Elneny who are loving terrible and sometimes Jack “Most Overrated Englishman of All Time” Wilshere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Elneny is good.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vinestalk posted:

Lacazette was not one of the best strikers in Europe.

What is the difference between getting more out of the players and making them work well together?

On the one hand, Wengy has assembled a weird unbalanced squad with serious holes and no real formation that gets the best out of his best players. Independently, it’s not insane that some other manager may stop the insanely stupid defensive errors and weird matches where arsenal show up completely turned off. Wengy hasn’t been doing particularly good with building a team or getting the most out of his players.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wenger switched to three at the back, without a single consistently good/fit center back, and then actually sold a center back in the summer instead of buying one. This is the kind of bananas poo poo that I wouldn’t expect from any other manager, especially now that there’s real oversight and not Wenger making all the decisions.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Shrapnig posted:

Cech is past it, all of their defenders are garbage, and “holding” midfielders are Xhaka and Elneny who are loving terrible and sometimes Jack “Most Overrated Englishman of All Time” Wilshere.

Thanks for the signal boost, I forgot to mention Cech but it already felt like they would be buying a new keeper in the summer

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. At least Jack put in some good performances before he died. Jordan Henderson became Liverpool captain because he managed to stop tripping over his feet.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
If Arsenal want the best out of Micky Ryan (why isn't TRP or THFoF assigning his proper not daftly spelt name?) then he has to play as a close number 10 behind Aubameyang or Lacazette. So gently caress knows where that leaves Ozil, the laziest 10 of all time who can MAYBE "do a shift" as a wide forward.

I think, anyway. Arse watchers please correct me, but action in the final third and supply to a striker is where Mkihitaryan shines. As does apparently Ozil....

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Except „Mickey Ryan“ has already had quite few good games operating on the wing, so...

Also, Elneny has been very good these past few months, his extension was well-deserved. He’s been one of the few players in the squad who have actually had a great season. Xhaka has improved slightly, but yeah, he’s not (and never was) a holding midfielder.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Shrapnig posted:

Elneny owns fool, he is happy to be a squad player and is top tier in that role.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Elneny is a limited player but he's been better than Xhaka, whose lapses of concentration have directly led to Arsenal dropping points in several games this season

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I don’t have the advanced stats to prove it but Elneny has insane stamina, great concentration, is a good tackler and a very consistent passer (not just sideways) :colbert:
Also he trolled Alexis on Twitter a bunch of times

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
elneny sounds like a spanish version of that show with fran drescher

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

ephex posted:

DAS KINDERFRAU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mr Snips posted:

Elneny is a limited player but he's been better than Xhaka, whose lapses of concentration have directly led to Arsenal dropping points in several games this season

Xhaka isn’t a bad player, he’s just played horribly out of position, without any real direction. There was an insane Wenger quote at the beginning of this season where he said something to the effect of “I didn’t know what position Xhaka played when we bought him.”

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Xhaka isn’t a bad player, he’s just played horribly out of position, without any real direction. There was an insane Wenger quote at the beginning of this season where he said something to the effect of “I didn’t know what position Xhaka played when we bought him.”
What's his correct position supposed to be

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
on top of ur mam

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Vegetable posted:

he needs to be surrounded by players who can pass, dribble and tackle so he can just bang in 30 yarders and do nothing else

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Someone do a MDT Danny Ings just scored an actual goal

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

ephex posted:

I would watch this

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vegetable posted:

He seems to do better when we play with 3 midfielders, and I’ve always wondered if he’d do better as a water carrier in between a more defensive and more attacking player. More likely he’s just poo poo.

That said, I’ve seen it go around a couple times now that he’s receiving basically no positional coaching at Arsenal, whereas at monchengladbach he needed constant drilling on where he’s supposed to be.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ninpo posted:

If Arsenal want the best out of Micky Ryan (why isn't TRP or THFoF assigning his proper not daftly spelt name?) then he has to play as a close number 10 behind Aubameyang or Lacazette. So gently caress knows where that leaves Ozil, the laziest 10 of all time who can MAYBE "do a shift" as a wide forward.

I think, anyway. Arse watchers please correct me, but action in the final third and supply to a striker is where Mkihitaryan shines. As does apparently Ozil....

This is an insanely bad post.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

There's no big mystery here, Xhaka is just a deep lying playmaker, if a rather sluggish one. If you drill him well and partner him with players who complement him and protect him (so that he gets time on the ball), he will show great passing skills and vision, be reliable in possession, fight until the very last minute and contribute the occasional screamer. This is how he got his decent performances for Basel, Gladbach and Switzerland. If he's just allowed to roam around without clear instructions and doesn't play in a well-established midfield partnership, opposing teams can simply press him and exploit his lack of mobility (and, occasionally, discipline).

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
He's Ivan Campo at Bolton, but with nobody else playing hoofball

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There are certainly a lot of difficult problems to solve in Arsenal’s squad, but there are also a lot of really simple problems whose obvious solutions will pay huge dividends to any manager not blinded by idealism and given full control of the club.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
dude Xhaka is not misused or misunderstood, he's totally poo poo. constantly gives away fouls near/in his box and routinely makes poor decisions and simple mistakes. he's a handsome fella though and has a nice haircut which is often enough to get signed by arsenal

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
For a guy with an IQ of 65 Xhaka is doing great

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

EC10 posted:

dude Xhaka is not misused or misunderstood, he's totally poo poo. constantly gives away fouls near/in his box and routinely makes poor decisions and simple mistakes. he's a handsome fella though and has a nice haircut which is often enough to get signed by arsenal

But he doesn't make these poor decisions and simple mistakes when playing for Switzerland. Makes u think... Perhaps he's constantly exposed in Arsenal's setup (and presumably receives little coaching or instruction to speak of)?

He's not the new Xabi Alonso or anything, but it's kind of weird how established players come to Arsenal and suddenly look like absolute dogshit (Squillaci...)

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Xhaka is the new Charlie Adam except not fat

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Wengy posted:

But he doesn't make these poor decisions and simple mistakes when playing for Switzerland. Makes u think... Perhaps he's constantly exposed in Arsenal's setup (and presumably receives little coaching or instruction to speak of)?

He's not the new Xabi Alonso or anything, but it's kind of weird how established players come to Arsenal and suddenly look like absolute dogshit (Squillaci...)

The international game is championship level at best, hardly any squad cohesion or pressure matches

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

The international game is championship level at best, hardly any squad cohesion or pressure matches

Right, so you’d expect him to thrive at Arsenal

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
If Arsenal bring in a manager who is focused on tactics and coaching I think we will improve on this season even without signings (and obviously there will be a WARCHEST). Xhaka has alluded to receiving little instruction at Arsenal which he has found challenging, likewise Squillacci has said since leaving that at Arsenal as a defender you’re just thrown in and left to sink or swim. That wouldn’t seem too fanciful given the level of defending we’ve seen on a weekly basis.

The best defending in the Wenger-era after Adams etc retired was the team that got to the Champions League final. Martin Keown was coaching them, but then fell out with Wenger and left. Obviously the Invincibles would be mentioned as a good defence but there was more than a few games where they shipped garbage goals and rescued a draw with Pires falling over for a late penalty.

If you look at the current ‘hot managers’ in football right now, the likes of Klopp, Pochettino and Guardiola are all about high work rate, detailed instruction, tactics heavy coaching. Wenger is still telling players to ‘go and express themselves’ playing one way and hoping it works. It does work when you’ve got world class players in the team but not so much when you’ve got a mix of average players and younger players yet to reach their potential.

Look at Oxlade-Chamberlain at Liverpool, I genuinely believe the same coaching he has had there applied to the entire Arsenal squad would at least have them picking up loving away points.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Bacon Terrorist posted:

If Arsenal bring in a manager who is focused on tactics and coaching I think we will improve on this season even without signings (and obviously there will be a WARCHEST). Xhaka has alluded to receiving little instruction at Arsenal which he has found challenging, likewise Squillacci has said since leaving that at Arsenal as a defender you’re just thrown in and left to sink or swim. That wouldn’t seem too fanciful given the level of defending we’ve seen on a weekly basis.

The best defending in the Wenger-era after Adams etc retired was the team that got to the Champions League final. Martin Keown was coaching them, but then fell out with Wenger and left. Obviously the Invincibles would be mentioned as a good defence but there was more than a few games where they shipped garbage goals and rescued a draw with Pires falling over for a late penalty.

If you look at the current ‘hot managers’ in football right now, the likes of Klopp, Pochettino and Guardiola are all about high work rate, detailed instruction, tactics heavy coaching. Wenger is still telling players to ‘go and express themselves’ playing one way and hoping it works. It does work when you’ve got world class players in the team but not so much when you’ve got a mix of average players and younger players yet to reach their potential.

Look at Oxlade-Chamberlain at Liverpool, I genuinely believe the same coaching he has had there applied to the entire Arsenal squad would at least have them picking up loving away points.

Yeah this is spot on. That team that made the CL final featured loving Senderos and Eboue and they looked like Baresi and Maldini, it's mostly down to coaching.

And while the international game is indeed very bad, Xhaka has also looked competent against strong international sides and of course at Gladbach. Well duh, Petkovic and Favre are both sticklers for detail and I'd bet that they mercilessly drilled that Albanian bonehead in every training session, something Wengy simply doesn't do.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The "post your long-winded articles about football" thread is closed so I'll just post this really good article by Gerard Pique about his career, relationship with Sir Alex and getting yelled at by Roy Keane here.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/gerard-pique-a-long-story

Pique posted:

So we’re sitting there waiting for the gaffer to come in and speak to us, and I’m literally sitting right next to Roy Keane. The dressing room is so small that our legs are almost touching. There’s no space at all.

It’s dead quiet. All of a sudden, you could hear this little vibration. Very soft.

Bzzzzzz ……

………….. Bzzzzzzz.

Roy is looking around the room.

Bzzzzzzz …..

Oh, poo poo.

I realize it’s me. It’s my cell phone. I left it on vibrate, and it’s in the pocket of my pants, stuffed in the clothes bag that’s hanging right behind Roy’s head.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

quote:

It was poo poo. I wanted to quit and come home to Spain.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

The "post your long-winded articles about football" thread is closed so I'll just post this really good article by Gerard Pique about his career, relationship with Sir Alex and getting yelled at by Roy Keane here.

Buried, but not dead

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741767&perpage=40&pagenumber=4

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Why did Wenger and Keown fall out?

quote:

So what you're saying is that Wenger should walk... to Real Madrid.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It is though, can't reply to it because it's "locked for archiving".

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

It is though, can't reply to it because it's "locked for archiving".

Oh, haha I was on my phone, didn't see that. :rip:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

Not done yet but I got to this part

quote:

It’s the same here in Spain. They say, “Just shut up and play football. It’s all you know.”

Sorry, but I will not just shut up and play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it feels weird that Arsene is walking

• Locked thread