Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Say you perform the dark ritual and the Warden survives. Is what the other Grey Wardens think about it ever explored in the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

So that confirms da4 is real, right...? Things are looking up...?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

Have you seen the recent output of EA?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Grundulum posted:

Maybe that is concept art for DA4? Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, after all.

Then it would be a flashback because the DA games are the future, Mass Effect is the past. Unless Thedas is just too backwater for the Reapers to notice.
:thunk:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Smol posted:

Say you perform the dark ritual and the Warden survives. Is what the other Grey Wardens think about it ever explored in the series?

I don't think so. Alistair/Lohain say that the Wardens have questions about how you survived killing the Arch Demon but they also say they intend to not spoil your secret.

Don't think it gets mentioned again in the series.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's not surprising, the Grey Wardens seem to have a very 'hey, if it kills darkspawn then have at it and don't let the local authority catch you doing war crimes/blood magic/etc' attitude, so even if they don't really understand something they're willing to overlook it if it turned out well.

The more egregious oversight is gonna be when they never address the Architect again because those implications should be huge but then, so was stuff like the god-baby and we all saw what happened there :shrug:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

VostokProgram posted:

The guy from Fallen London that they recruited onto DA4 already confirmed it was real. It's more about it not coming out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taear posted:

The guy from Fallen London that they recruited onto DA4 already confirmed it was real. It's more about it not coming out.

Yeah, the thing at this point is that Andromeda flopping made EA panic and order the DA4 team to start over from scratch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, the thing at this point is that Andromeda flopping made EA panic and order the DA4 team to start over from scratch.

We don't know if that's definitely true though.
I mean if they took loads of people off it then that would be why it's taking loving forever, rather than a total reboot.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, the thing at this point is that Andromeda flopping made EA panic

Not disagreeing, but surely, surely they must have had some inkling beforehand that it would flop?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Taear posted:

I mean if they took loads of people off it then that would be why it's taking loving forever, rather than a total reboot.
We did get some rumors last year that the DA4 project was "rebooted" and that more live elements would be implemented. But no one seems to know what "live element" even means, so it could be signs of dire things, or it could be some meaningless drivel of the sort that keeps investors happy. :shrug:

Oh dear me posted:

Not disagreeing, but surely, surely they must have had some inkling beforehand that it would flop?
They must have known the game would have problems. Just like anyone paying attention to news about Andromeda's development knew the game would have problems. For example people leaving important positions during development, like rats fleeing a sinking ship, generally isn't good news.
Just how badly Andromeda would flop was probably unexpected though. EA/Bioware also knew DA2 would have problems, which is why for example there was little to no gameplay footage shown before release. But DA2 didn't do as badly because gamers still had a lot of goodwill towards Bioware. Afterall DA:O & ME2 weren't terrible.
But even though Inquisition was well received, I think Bioware/EA really miscalculated just how bitter people still were over ME3.

As an aside, it always felt strange to me that the Mass Effect franchise has become Bioware's weather vane as sorts. As far as I know the Dragon Age games have always outsold the ME games. Yet, the ME franchise always seems to be treated by the gaming press as Bioware's main product.
Andromeda flopped? Oh no, Bioware is doomed! Bioware's previous game, Inquisition, was their biggest success ever? Who cares.
Andromeda has animation issues? Surely, the means no one can develop RPGs on the Frostbite engine. And that any future Bioware game using it is doomed. Let's just ignore that Inquisition also used the Frostbite engine and didn't have the same problems. And that the previous ME games using the Unreal engines also had animation problems. which indicates the problem was with the ME dev team.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe it's because Mass Effect offers more 'original' gameplay? Like Dragon Age's combat is fine, but most of what you're playing it for is for the lore and character interactions. The combat system isn't anything overly novel.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Raygereio posted:

As an aside, it always felt strange to me that the Mass Effect franchise has become Bioware's weather vane as sorts. As far as I know the Dragon Age games have always outsold the ME games. Yet, the ME franchise always seems to be treated by the gaming press as Bioware's main product.
Andromeda flopped? Oh no, Bioware is doomed! Bioware's previous game, Inquisition, was their biggest success ever? Who cares.
Andromeda has animation issues? Surely, the means no one can develop RPGs on the Frostbite engine. And that any future Bioware game using it is doomed. Let's just ignore that Inquisition also used the Frostbite engine and didn't have the same problems. And that the previous ME games using the Unreal engines also had animation problems. which indicates the problem was with the ME dev team.

I think it's because Mass Effect remains a relatively unique franchise. Fantasy RPGs are a dime a dozen, even if the Dragon Age games are high-budget and lavish examples, but sci-fi shooter/RPGs are far more rare and Mass Effect remains distinctive where Dragon Age, in my opinion, is distinctly not.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428 posted:

When the mock reviews came in for Mass Effect: Andromeda, BioWare’s leads were relieved— the Metacritic was expected to be in the low-to-mid-80s, according to two sources. Although Andromeda’s developers knew the game wasn’t perfect, they were fine with a score like that. If they hit somewhere between 80 and 85, they could use what they’d built for Andromeda to make the sequel way better, much like Casey Hudson and his team had done from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2.

Then the GIFs started.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I still think the talking animations that were like :gary: :yarg: were the best thing, seriously one of the funniest things I have seen in years.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

I mean, the gifs didn't help but if the game wasn't an empty slog with zero heart or courage they would've been a speed bump

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's honestly shocking the state that Andromeda released in and Bioware/EA deserved all the flack that they got. All the asari in the game had the same exact face model. Most of the character lighting didn't even have shaders. They expected people to pay $60 for this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

It's honestly shocking the state that Andromeda released in and Bioware/EA deserved all the flack that they got. All the asari in the game had the same exact face model. Most of the character lighting didn't even have shaders. They expected people to pay $60 for this.

A whole new galaxy with a grand total of two new races, and everything's been settled by the time you get there so you spend as much time dealing with Milky Way pirates as you do interacting with natives, if not more.

An endless cascade of fetch quests that involve running between as many as four or five loading screens for each.

Sudoku not simply as an optional puzzle but a regular gameplay element.

Gay dude whose story is all about settling down with a woman and having a child with her.

The tank is a piece of junk until you upgrade it.

Crafting.

MEA is filled with bad decisions without even touching the graphics and animations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

MEA is filled with bad decisions without even touching the graphics and animations.

Not forgetting dull characters and terrible dialogue. (Including an entire scene with Liam and Jaal that I don't understand at all.)

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

It made so much sense when it came out that they wasted years trying and failing to make procedural generation the backbone of the game, and then had to desperately crank out what we got in a year and a half.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I still haven't played Andromeda. Not even sure why, to be honest, since I was a huge Mass Effect fan. I think I was busy playing something else when the game came out, and since the reception wasn't exactly thrilling, I kept waiting until they would fix the biggest issues. No idea if they did, and since the franchise is dead, what would be the point?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And it's a shame, because I think there are some good ideas there. Ryder's a dork who's a very different kind of protagonist from Shepard or any of the Dragon Age PCs, and I loved her - she's a naive kid in way over her head who mostly wants to geek out at science, is so bad at flirting that a salarian makes fun of her about it, and isn't comfortable with the spotlight being forced on her.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Da:I might've gotten facial animation to work but it's still dumb to use an engine clearly not built for rpgs for rpgs

Yes you can make a square peg fit in a round hole, but it'll take a lot of money and time you could've used on actually making the game

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Smol posted:

I still haven't played Andromeda. Not even sure why, to be honest, since I was a huge Mass Effect fan. I think I was busy playing something else when the game came out, and since the reception wasn't exactly thrilling, I kept waiting until they would fix the biggest issues. No idea if they did, and since the franchise is dead, what would be the point?

The combat is quite fun and there are some good environments. Once you learn never to accept a side quest (because they are all unbelievably tedious fetch quests) it becomes more bearable. I even had moments of thinking "this is quite good!" before having my hopes of character or plot development* crushed again.

[*] Chiefly the hope that I'd get a chance to shut SAM up

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

kurona_bright posted:

Da:I might've gotten facial animation to work but it's still dumb to use an engine clearly not built for rpgs for rpgs

Yes you can make a square peg fit in a round hole, but it'll take a lot of money and time you could've used on actually making the game

What engine should they have used instead?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

kurona_bright posted:

It's actually fine, and probably even a good reuse of technology, because like most game engines frostbite is probably general purpose enough to do anything.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

That's not really how game engines, or game development in general works. Yes, Frostbite hadn't been used for RPGs before, so Bioware found themselves having to build lots of systems and devtools from scratch. But that's a part of game development. And a pretty fundamental part at that.
For Inquisition, the DA team looked at the game they wanted to make, and then at the technology they had. Their Eclipse (DA:O & DA2) codebase didn't support things like the larger areas they wanted and its graphics were getting outdated. They certainly could have gone the route of upgrading the Eclipse codebase to the point where they could have make the game they wanted to make with it. And if they had done that, they probably could have reused a lot of their old devtools. But it's not like that would not have taken a ton of money & time. The DA:I devs had a hard time building tools and systems for the Frostbite engine. But I'm pretty damned certain that trying to make Inquisition on top of Eclipse also would also have given them a hard time.
Looking at the various postmortems, Frostbite wasn't ME:A's core problem. It certainly caused them certain issues, but with a different engine they would have had different issues. It seems more that ME:A's development was badly mismanaged and for the better part of the 5 year dev cycle lacked a coherent vision of the game they wanted to make. And by the time they had that vision, problems like the animation had become too big deal with in the time before the money ran out.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 22, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Andromeda isn't bad.

It certainly isn't great, either. And that's what's disappointing.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Taear posted:

Is it even taking that long? Dai released in November 2014. It's not even been 4 years yet. After 5 I think we can start to worry

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Is it even taking that long? Dai released in November 2014. It's not even been 4 years yet. After 5 I think we can start to worry

That's a pretty long time. Especially to have no real news.
DA:O was 2009, DA2 was 2011 and DA:I was 2014 and we had some stuff in between those games. Inquisition had stuff out in 2013 showing gameplay and etc.

And my assumption with Mass Effect was that because it's a shooter it's seen as having more broad appeal even if that's not actually true. I would even go as far to say that the reason they're doing Anthem is because EA sees that as only a step away from Mass Effect.
After all Destiny gets called an RPG all the time. It's a real poo poo that "RPG" seems to just mean "has a character progression" now to the big companies.

I wish game genres were like music ones where there's tonnes and although you might not understand ones that aren't from your niche you can go "Oh hey this is Darkwave and so is [a band I like]" and expect to at least roughly enjoy it.

quote:

Andromeda isn't bad.

It certainly isn't great, either. And that's what's disappointing.
Counterpoint: Yea it's bad.
It's like a fan mod of mass effect. It's so lazy and badly put together. For the reasons listed earlier!

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 22, 2018

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Big Bidness posted:

It made so much sense when it came out that they wasted years trying and failing to make procedural generation the backbone of the game, and then had to desperately crank out what we got in a year and a half.

Procedural generation isn't even good for something like Doom or Bloodborne where the focus is almost purely on moment-to-moment combat gameplay. For an RPG, particularly an RPG where one of the biggest complaints was the lovely procedurally generated planets filled with stock enemy bases in the first one, I wonder what the gently caress they were even thinking.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

Counterpoint: Yea it's bad.
It's like a fan mod of mass effect. It's so lazy and badly put together. For the reasons listed earlier!

Nah, not bad != good.

It's definitely not good though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

Procedural generation isn't even good for something like Doom or Bloodborne where the focus is almost purely on moment-to-moment combat gameplay. For an RPG, particularly an RPG where one of the biggest complaints was the lovely procedurally generated planets filled with stock enemy bases in the first one, I wonder what the gently caress they were even thinking.

The planets in ME1 weren't procedurally generated though. They were just bland.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

The planets in ME1 weren't procedurally generated though. They were just bland.
I'm 99% sure the ME1 planets were churned out by a fractal landscape generator.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 22, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I refuse to believe that they weren't, in fact

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even as far back as War3's map editor there was a setting to randomly generate terrain, which I feel the ME1 programmers probably did for every overworld mission before going home early.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Yeah I was huge into ME1-2 back in the day and I believe the developers said it was a choice between one more big story planet or the two dozen random gen planets with a base and they opted for the latter, only to realize their mistake for ME2...and then I guess to completely forget all that for MEA.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I doubt development on DA4 is all that serious especially since EA decided to pull everyone onto Anthem. We certainly won't hear anything about it until Anthem is released.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

floofyscorp posted:

What engine should they have used instead?

Unreal Engine? I mean, the original ME trilogy games were literally all made on top of that, and by using that you'd have a proven development pipeline & facial animation system & everything else you'd want for a RPG. Re-inventing the wheel can have its merits but it's also got a lot of pitfalls.

Also just looking at the games made on Frostbite shows it definitely wasn't general-purpose. The first six games that used it were all FPSes, and then it's a smattering of racing games before DA:I. It might be better now, but I'm actually scratching my head why DA:I didn't just use Unreal engine & all the tools the ME team had for it. Licensing fees?

Edit: Like of course ME:A didn't have development troubles because they decided to use Frostbite. But I'll happily put it as one of the contributing factors.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Probably because UE3 was nearly a decade old and they wanted to incorporate new graphical capabilities into their games. UE4 didn't come out until just a year before the same year as Inquisition.

Sometimes, even though you have something that works, you have to get something newer if you want to do new stuff. Also, since Frostbyte is an in-house engine (I think?) that means no licensing fees.