Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick100 posted:

Personally, I'd suggest against a stand instead get a hook then you can always hang your Vive such that any water/sweat would drain out instead of stay near the display.

Ex. https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/command/products/~/Command-Large-Wire-Hook/?N=5924736+3294529207+3294772780&rt=rud I use this and it works well. You can usually pick them up for like $2.5 each at Walmart.

Fair enough. Just curious, is it better to hang the Vive by the HMD or the back of the deluxe audio strap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

CapnBry posted:

And I hope it never gets out of Early Access! ...

H3VR is always evolving into new things and Anton is delightful, creative, and a consistently productive developer.

I just checked out his recent devlog and apparently, he is now adding a take and hold gauntlet system. You start with a random weak weapon then progress through a space then eventually have to do a wave defense then get powerups and stronger weapons. Then you have to repeat this process against increasingly stronger enemies.

H3VR started with no enemies, then a bit of enemies and it looks like it's now fully turning into an incredibly deep and complex game along with being the best gun simulator in VR.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Edison was a dick posted:

It sounds like magnetic cups are going to be available soon so it might be worth waiting a bit before buying.

I have a magtube v2 prototype and it is awesome. It should be available for sale pretty soon, sourcing the magnets they use has been challenging as they are kind of specialized in shape.
I’ve never had reloading problems whatsoever, in fact quite the opposite. : https://clips.twitch.tv/EphemeralTransparentPepperoniM4xHeh

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 21, 2018

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Mamut also has a stock that is already magnetic and the guy who makes it is nicer.

http://mamutvr.com/

Mamut has the fatal flaw of having the tube on top of the controllers, that’s bad for tracking even for oculus.
Also, Bourin is nice as hell what are you taking about?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Agreed, I ordered one then had to cancel and he was incredibly nice. He even was worried for me, nicest guy in the world.

When I was ready to order one the wait was four weeks (now no wait) so I ordered a knockoff. The knockoff works but I can't shake the feeling his stock is much higher quality.

I'm tempted by the mag versions.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Tom Guycot posted:

I hate to kick something thats already been getting flack, but my biggest problem with orbus every time I tried it, back through early beta tests was the magic system.

I know after putting work into something like that, they'd be loath to scrap it but its just such an awful feeling way to cast spells, especially in vr. For those unaware you draw symbols in the air and (when it works) it then casts the spell. Its basically a system like I remember from some old dos RPG's that had you draw spells with the mouse, or some nintendo DS games, and it just feels so wrong, boring and flat. It doesn't feel adapted to VR at all.

Compare it to something like The Unspoken, which is the best spell casting in VR I've seen, and it falls even more flat. In that game you have basic low power attacks that are easy to cast and you have to throw and aim. Then you have more powerful spells that need mana, where you have to do motions to activate, like crossing your breaking them apart for a shield, doing a sort of haduken push with both hands for a powerful homing spell, and doing a spread hand then back kind of thing for an area effect spell. Lastly you have sort of "reagent" based spells that are the most powerful, and each is activated a different way: fire javelin you grab a hammer that appears and hit the spots that light up on an anvil that appears floating in the right order before you can throw it, or drawing a sigil, folding paper, assembling a sort of golum, etc.

They're all very physical, fun, and engaging in VR. They're different, they don't get repetitive, and they feel powerful. With Orbus, its all the same, draw a flat shape in the air with your stick, only problem is how finicky the system is so half the time the spells don't go off. I think that part could be fixed by say, instead of free drawing, have a sort of sigil of 8 points or whatever appear in front of you and connect the dots in different combinations to do different spells. That would at least solve the problem of it feeling inconsistent and frustrating, but it would still leave all the spells bland and boring to use in VR.

I really think they need to take their magic system, and rebuild it from scratch. I'm sure thats not fun, or something they wouldn't want to do when they could add new dungeons, etc, but its such a weak aspect of the game it kills it for me. If they aped Unspoken, and had basic low power easy attacks, attacks that used mana and were motion based (twirl your hands for a whirlwind, cross for a shield whatever), and then more powerful reagent based spells that involved manipulating objects, an ammo of some sort, in unique ways.

Just, I mean... use VR for gods sake, don't treat magic like a nintendo DS game, let people feel like powerful wizards. It would go a long way to improve the game in my eyes. Theres other issues, but people have already mentioned them so I just wanted to blab a little about my own personal annoyance with the game for some time.

I personally like the idea of drawing spells, but the issue I had with it is it was wildly inconsistent, and the more complex spells (like Fireworks) were almost a gamble whether or not you get the correct, even if you're trying to draw from the book, and in combat this made trying to use complicated spells nigh impossible, because even if you draw the shape correctly, there's no guarantee it will register correctly, and every precious second matters. You also get a bit of the opposite effect with some spells, like Mana Shield for example you can just draw a circle instead of the diamond and it'll still work, but then you get something like Pushback which I actually get to cast like an 1/8th of the time I've drawn it. I like the idea of wand casting, so I think the Sigil Idea you mentioned wouldn't be a bad fix. But something definitely must be tweaked or changed, because outside of showing newbies cool spells you can do in town, Runemage is just not an enjoyable class.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Does H3VR work with Rift?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

nickhimself posted:

Does H3VR work with Rift?

Yeah, works great except for the fact that you have to hold grip to not drop the gun.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

rage-saq posted:

Yeah, works great except for the fact that you have to hold grip to not drop the gun.

Which is how guns work irl so....

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

FormatAmerica posted:

Which is how guns work irl so....

Except you just hold a gun instead of hold a gun and also hold a button in else you drop it instead of holding it which your hands are ALSO doing. After very long periods of time trying to hold the touch controller AND making sure you don’t accidentally release the grip button you can get hand cramps.
Due to the poor way Anton implemented the controller scheme (yes I’m going there, he has admitted to such almost a year ago) he cannot give rift users the same configurable options that vive users have by being able to change this to a toggle.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
tbh, I like grip to hold.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

Never said he was an rear end in a top hat, just not as nice.

Bhodi posted:

Same. On rift at least.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bhodi posted:

Agreed.

Though its one of those things that I think needs to become a standard option across VR games in the same way any flat game is going to let you invert the mouse. It should just be standard so people aren't forced one way or another. Maybe openXR will help with that when it comes out this yeah, who knows.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bhodi posted:

Same. I’ve never had any hand cramp issues, it feels really natural.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

rage-saq posted:

Good enough for me! Thanks

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Still haven't spent my $15 credit from oculus. Lemme hear your best games of the last few months (doesn't have to be under $15)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sairento seems well received, is it worth laying out a little extra for Dead Effect VR and Eternity Warriors in this bundle..?

http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/6124/Dead_Ninja_Warriors_VR_Bundle/

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I can't check at the moment, but I'm almost certain hold/toggle-to-grab is an option in H3VR.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Sairento seems well received, is it worth laying out a little extra for Dead Effect VR and Eternity Warriors in this bundle..?

*Yes

Assuming Eternity Warriors play style interests you.

Dead Effect gets mixed reviews but most people I know that really sunk time into it enjoy it a TON. I've had some fun, but its got a lot of extra character development I wasnt interested in, But with that said its not bad. I just personally wasnt into that part of it. Gameplay was good though.

SO yeah. As someone who owns all that poo poo, its worth the extra few bucks.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can I make a Soundboxing request?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV6up-_by-E

Great punchy little song, works brilliantly in Audioshield but I'd love to play it in Soundboxing.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The Touch grip buttons have such little resistance that I've never found holding it in an issue

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Someone mentioned itch.io and I figured I would throw my recommendation in

Freeclimb is clearly a proof of concept , but it's a drat fun hour or so learning the possibility space and trying to climb. A good intro to VR for someone who has maybe tried the lab and wants to try something new

Edit: forgot to link

https://icekalt.itch.io/freeclimb-vr

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jestery posted:

Someone mentioned itch.io and I figured I would throw my recommendation in

Freeclimb is clearly a proof of concept , but it's a drat fun hour or so learning the possibility space and trying to climb. A good intro to VR for someone who has maybe tried the lab and wants to try something new

Edit: forgot to link

https://icekalt.itch.io/freeclimb-vr

You should give Climbey a look on Steam.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Sairento is dope. Dead Effect is neat, but the voice acting is PS1 Capcom levels of awful. If you enjoyed a simple zombie shooter like The Brookhaven Experiment and want a fleshed-out version of it, then you'll be happy with it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shine posted:

but the voice acting is PS1 Capcom levels of awful.

This is true. I totally forgot until you said something then instantly remembered the first 20-30 min of the game with all the dialog.

With that said. I chuckled a lot with that, so it was enjoyable even if it was bad.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

House of the Dead VR when?????

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I'd love a VR version of the Resident Evil: Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles Wii games.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The Script Extender for SkyrimVR is out.

A bunch of VR sex mods with Argonian women that have realistic boob and rear end physics are incoming, people!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

bobfather posted:

The Script Extender for SkyrimVR is out.

A bunch of VR sex mods with Argonian women that have realistic boob and rear end physics are incoming, people!

This is where the fun begins.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nickhimself posted:

House of the Dead VR when?????

Typing of the Dead VR tho

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm excited about SKSE, mostly because it presents an opportunity to unfuck a lot of the half-assed VR interaction mechanics. I want hands, I want to be about to intuitively pick stuff up and throw it around and I want as little UI clutter as possible. Here's hoping that kind of stuff is actually possible, though people have already had some success with creating an OpenVR overlay app and interfacing with Skyrim through janky console commands.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I finally got stand out last night and it's awesome. The jank level is lower than I expected and it's just really fun.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I posted this in the dad thread but I feel it is wholesome enough to post here too.

My father was a pilot most of my childhood but hasn't flown in nearly a decade , so I loaded him into a flight Sim I have hacked together and we had a great time flying his favourite plane and him talking me through the process of it all, checking flaps and trimming and stuff. Which of course he remembered like it was yesterday.

A more human story but still VR related

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jestery posted:

Someone mentioned itch.io

Obviously the best Itch VR game is https://mscottmcbee.itch.io/skreletons-hotdog-kitchen tho'

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jestery posted:

I posted this in the dad thread but I feel it is wholesome enough to post here too.

My father was a pilot most of my childhood but hasn't flown in nearly a decade , so I loaded him into a flight Sim I have hacked together and we had a great time flying his favourite plane and him talking me through the process of it all, checking flaps and trimming and stuff. Which of course he remembered like it was yesterday.

A more human story but still VR related

That's cool, though the picture of a polaroid makes it seem like an artifact of the 80s.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

My OrbusVR Gold Rush story:

Really bad look to disable the tutorial during Gold Rush. I've heard that it was a server issue because they couldn't handle that many tutorial instances at once, but still. There is a SEVERE feeling of jankiness to a lot of the game from the very moment you spawn -- I had the opening menu appear basically inside my body too! -- and it was seriously exacerbated by the fact that I didn't have a clue what to do once I started trying to play the game. I waved at some NPCs, which I only knew to do from reading this thread, and it was hit-or-miss whether they spoke to me or not. And since it took a couple tries before the first guy said anything to me, I spent a while waving repeatedly at random NPCs and was never sure whether they didn't have anything to say or if they just weren't picking up my wave. The playerbase does seem pretty friendly and helpful, I will say. I wandered outside of town and tried to fight a deer with the pickaxe dangling from my hip, and a level 20 told me to equip my actual WEAPON, which was slung over my shoulder. A couple of us noobs fought another couple deer, while the 20 told us that these deer, directly outside town, would probably murder us on our own. He also took us through how to swap weapons to change classes. The inventory threw me for a minute, actually, since you tap an item and the border will turn green, then you tap the slot on your character to equip it. I suppose that's intuitive enough on flatscreen, but after a month of VR I didn't think it was working at first because I wasn't actually grabbing the item with my hand. I spent a few minutes playing with the ranger and musketeer(?) class, but I had no idea where to go or what to do besides fighting overpowered deer and not seeing my experience bar go up at all, and the level 20 guy wasn't sure either without the tutorial quests.

Like, I'm sure going through the tutorial might answer some of these issues for me, but the Gold Rush was an invitation to a ton of potential players to come and check the game out, and this is the experience we got. If it wasn't for that guy willing to sit and answer some dumb questions, I would have turned it off after seeing the achievement show up. I might try it again tonight to maybe give it a fair go, but I'm going to bet that a lot of people won't. The graphics are rudimentary, the UI feels off, there's no sense of impact to the combat, and there didn't seem like a lot of content from what I could see. It's only because I'd really like to see a large-scale MMO in VR that I'd even bother looking further, and even then, $40 is a hard ask for what feels like an early alpha.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah you can’t start the main quest line without completing the tutorial. Totally worth $40.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the deal with Soundboxing? I load the game, and a bunch of options are in front of me, but the actual game is behind me, over my right shoulder. Is there any way to re-centre the game so the game is in front of me? I'm on Rift and my sensors are on the desk in front of me - if I try just turning 135 degrees to my right then my body blocks one of them and my right hand stops working ingame.

PS: I am bad at finding VR options

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey all, read the OP and the last few pages and have a couple questions.

I own a Rift (actually have for months) but just now getting into it. When I use Steam VR, it keeps audio as my regular speakers. I have to override it to the rift handset. Likewise, when I turn off Steam and just use my PC it still keeps the Rift speakers as primary. I can obviously manually switch back and forth, but it's a pain in the butt. Is there a simple setting I'm missing?

Also, I am getting into Arizona Sunshine with Steam. I notice the play-space boundaries I set up in the Rift set up are not translating into the game and I find myself whapping my hand on my desk/filing cabinet, etc. Another thing I haven't set up properly I assume?

Apologies if these are dumb.

Oh, also, whats the go to recommendation for flight sims? I have Elite Dangerous, but thinking an aircraft sim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
DCS and War Thunder have VR. I dunno if il2 does. I think xplane 11 has a mod for it.