Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Doom on TI-83 Plus. 'nuff said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
It's actually all about Jezzball, Falldown, Sokoban, and PlainJump

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I flashed my NESRGB with the FBX "smooth" palette and I'm really glad I did, it's about as close to the real colors as it's probably humanly possible to get. I also tried nakedarthur's "wavebeam" as I'm using a CRT and it's supposedly for CRT displays but it looked way too saturated and kinda unnatural, though maybe people who grew up playing with the chroma cranked on their TVs will appreciate it.

Here's a crappy A/B test I made between composite out of my toaster and RGB from my AV, on a PVM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxBlS5DiPRg

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
They need a palette to accurately replicate the neon teal sky on Super Mario Bros. when you had the tint cranked all the way up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/matteusbeus/status/988167897682980865

Nice

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

gently caress you Sega

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/simonstalenhag/status/987756295796248578

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Negrostrike posted:

gently caress you Sega

More like gently caress Atgames???

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Did $RandomTwitterUser provide any evidence? I mean sure he could probably be right but it'd be nice to read how and why he thinks this.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoast just had a dream about getting a pb

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Caitlin posted:

Yeah, Sega at least licensed Steve Snake's work back when.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't looked into it for a while but my understanding is that the old engineers shamelessly stole a lot of emulator tech and the new engineers they brought in for the HD version did make some attempts to get the original authors on board, offer them compensation, etc but the terms were never favourable and in the end they ended up reusing a lot of unauthorised code anyway.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

my previous tiny shelf for PCBs was overflowing onto the floor so I upgraded

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Caitlin posted:

For real, remember, sega is the company that brought Christian Whitehead and company on the payroll to make some of the best games that have come out of sega in recent memory.

It’s much more likely this is known lovely company with a lovely track record, ATGames doing this than it is Sega just straight up stealing code.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
gently caress sega, because atgames being an insanely sketch company has been known for years and yet sega refuses to pull the license

e: like yeah, sega isn't doing this themselves, but they have a responsibility to keep their licensees in line. and they're utterly ignoring that responsibility because tricking grandmas into buying lovely $20 megaclones is more important than decent PR apparently.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ahh drug wars, I forgot about that!! Wasn’t it basically “lemonade stand but with drugs”?

E: I also remember putting a lot of study hall time into a clone of that cave game where you pilot a ship up and down and the terrain above and below you slowly closes in.

drat, I have a lot of good TI-83 gaming memories.

Haha, that game was great and it was always interesting seeing teachers reactions when they found it installed on someone's TI-83 and having to sit through them lecturing us on what is appropriate.

I got bored and recreated the 007 opening by manually drawing the images (only could make 10) and having a program repeat them one 3 or 4 times each. I had grand ideas about making a Goldeneye game, but the opening is about as far as I got. Actual TI-83 programming classes started with the people in the year behind me (among a bunch of other cool opportunities not available to me), and I certainly wasn't going to devote time to learning how on my own.

Had a classmate that figured out how to move the dot around the screen and have random battles pop up, which were turn based RPG style with text only. Made the attacks DBZ themed, so 3-4 of us would just sit in Trig and Kamehameha and Destructo Disc some random baddies with no end point.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

holy poo poo i cant stop laughing

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

d0s posted:

What the gently caress?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

d0s posted:

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I got bored and recreated the 007 opening by manually drawing the images (only could make 10) and having a program repeat them one 3 or 4 times each. I had grand ideas about making a Goldeneye game, but the opening is about as far as I got. Actual TI-83 programming classes started with the people in the year behind me (among a bunch of other cool opportunities not available to me), and I certainly wasn't going to devote time to learning how on my own.

When I was finishing up High School, it was the TI-82, or the TI-85 if your parents had money.

I was already pretty good at BASIC, so I managed to put together simple versions of Pong and Duck Hunt on my TI-82, and gave my friends copies. I remember being pissed off a week later when I found that somebody else in the school added insulting messages to the Game Over screens and took credit for them.

Both because of my work being stolen, and because he didn’t know enough about the code to center the “YOU SUCK” messages he added in so it looked really sloppy.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

gently caress sega, because atgames being an insanely sketch company has been known for years and yet sega refuses to pull the license

e: like yeah, sega isn't doing this themselves, but they have a responsibility to keep their licensees in line. and they're utterly ignoring that responsibility because tricking grandmas into buying lovely $20 megaclones is more important than decent PR apparently.

ok well if you'll excuse me I have Yakuza and more Yakuza to play :shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

I don't get it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Sega's an unwieldy chimera of different companies and the people who deal with licensees aren't the ones who should be evaluating or critiquing the products, basically. I know for a fact that there are people at both Sega of America and Sega of Europe who have been campaigning for something better but the people making the calls don't necessarily see a need to do so - they don't have any particular affection for the games so they themselves don't see a problem with the products, and they continue to sell well so obviously the public at large doesn't care, so why change?

The silver lining for the recent Sega of Japan announcement is that it'll hopefully put their products under the scrutiny of someone who knows and demands better.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I wanna pick up an original ds to replay ooe and flower sun and rain. A few questions:

Just planning to get a ds lite because thats what i had 10 years ago or whatever. Any reason to go for a dsi instead?

What are the best/cheapest flash cards? Id like to get a gba one too.

Emulators. I remeber emulating gameboy games on it fine, and megadrive but with the screen cutoff. Any progress on stuff like this?

Cheers!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

field balm posted:

I wanna pick up an original ds to replay ooe and flower sun and rain. A few questions:

Just planning to get a ds lite because thats what i had 10 years ago or whatever. Any reason to go for a dsi instead?

Emulators. I remeber emulating gameboy games on it fine, and megadrive but with the screen cutoff. Any progress on stuff like this?

Cheers!

I think DSi removed the GBA backwards compatibility.

For the GBA flash cart, get a GBA everdrive. You can play GB/GBC/NES games on it. Not sure about a DS flash cart.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I just got an EZFlash Omega, and it's really great. RTC, saves directly to SD card, has Goomba/PocketNES built in. The only real caveat is having to wait 3-4 seconds after a game saves before turning it off, or else you risk corrupting the entire SD card.

Also it fits in the dang slot like a normal-rear end GBA game. :argh:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

field balm posted:

Cheers!

If I'm remembering right the DSi's online shop is long dead and some of its popular games were ported over to the 3DS eshop anyways. So unless you have a burning urge to play the four physically released DSi specific games (which will run fine on a 3DS too) there isn't much reason to get one. Maybe if you need bigger screens and can live without a GBA slot but again why not jump up to a cheap 3DS XL and hack it if you go that route?

Looking back the DSi is kinda obsolete in the same way that a PS1 is since the immediate successor can do everything the previous console did and more.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

I don't get it

it's the way you navigate the menu of the atgames HD genesis turdbox, you don't use the dpad at all

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I heard they were doing any HD remake of Flower Sun and Rain, but the only two sources on Google I can find are Reddit and Resettera.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

If I'm remembering right the DSi's online shop is long dead and some of its popular games were ported over to the 3DS eshop anyways. So unless you have a burning urge to play the four physically released DSi specific games (which will run fine on a 3DS too) there isn't much reason to get one. Maybe if you need bigger screens and can live without a GBA slot but again why not jump up to a cheap 3DS XL and hack it if you go that route?

Looking back the DSi is kinda obsolete in the same way that a PS1 is since the immediate successor can do everything the previous console did and more.

The DSi XL still has value since its a big screen DS with the proper native resolution, unlike the 3DS which has to use janky non-integer upscaling to fill the screens.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard they were doing any HD remake of Flower Sun and Rain, but the only two sources on Google I can find are Reddit and Resettera.

It was a mistranslation, people thought Suda said it (and Killer 7 HD) were happening but he was just talking about wanting them to happen for the millionth time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

it's the way you navigate the menu of the atgames HD genesis turdbox, you don't use the dpad at all

Okay that is horrendous.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

incredible

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Getting blocked by Funstock Retro UK on Twitter for hating on the ATGames shitboxes a couple of years ago (they linked an article that basically read "don't bother with the NES Classic, get this ATGames Mega Drive instead" and I pointed out in a retweet how terrible the article was and how lovely the ATGames boxes are) is still one of my proudest social media moments.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

field balm posted:

Cheers!

The only reason to go DSi is to go DSiXL for the larger screen. If you want to play GBA as well, then the DS lite is your best option for having a single system (even though I have a DSlite I use my DSiXL for DS games and either my GBA SP or 101-screen modded GBA, the DSiXL's screen is just much nicer to use these days after being used to a 3DSXL).

For DS flash carts, really most any R4 you can get your hands on works apparently. However, some of the newer rip-off R4 carts has a "time bomb" on them that will make the card stop working after an expiration date (like 2-4 years after the card was made). You can get around this by setting the date on your DS far back in the past or by using a different firmware on the card (YSmenu) instead. I got one of those cheap knockoffs on newegg for $15 shipped and put the YSmenu firmware on it instead of going to their website and using their firmware. As long as you follow the process precisely (format the card using the Panasonic SD card formater, then copying the YSmenu files on as they tell you, and then copying your games backups on), then it will work fine.

For GBA, the GBA Everdrive X5 has the best features and game compatibility, though other cards have decent features as well. Also, you can run GBC and NES emulators on it. It does stick out a bit further than typical GBA carts, but its not really a bother and is well worth it, IMO.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
DSi is good because it has a real nice matte finish and won't get covered in fingerprints and scratches. The DS lite is crap and the DSi XL is too big

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I really like the DS Lite, but hate how easily dirt gets into the LR buttons and renders them useless. I wish there was an easier way to clean them that didn't involve tearing them down.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So when Rogue came out in the early 80s, how exactly did people access and play it? I realize there were no PCs yet, so did people use a terminal in the library? Or did you have to make a reservation to use a terminal for an x amount of time? (This is probably more about the setup of IT infrastructure on american campuses at the time, of which I know very little about)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mike12345 posted:

So when Rogue came out in the early 80s, how exactly did people access and play it? I realize there were no PCs yet, so did people use a terminal in the library? Or did you have to make a reservation to use a terminal for an x amount of time? (This is probably more about the setup of IT infrastructure on american campuses at the time, of which I know very little about)

Typically you would reserve a time slot to use a workstation in a library but then you had that friend with the keys to a lab for a weekend of uninterrupted gaming. The original game was included with Berkeley's UNIX distribution and shared on ARPANET. Personal Computers were a thing in the early 80s (Commodore PET was '77) and it wouldn't be long before it was ported.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

The DSi XL still has value since its a big screen DS with the proper native resolution, unlike the 3DS which has to use janky non-integer upscaling to fill the screens.

Also the DSi XL has awesome, loud speakers. Also all DSi XL systems have dual IPS screens. No lottery needed.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember in middle school our computer lab has a freeware version of Tetris called Sirtet. When you passed it, it said "PAWS" and had a little paw print. It was adorably 2002.

Shamelessly stolen from The Lion King

Only registered members can see post attachments!