Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

redeyes posted:

Really cool video. I wish they had more reviews up.

then donate, they're like pbs or consumer reports in that regard. they do have a ton more it's just on their website. I think sennheiser and hifiman are the only totl headphone manufacturers they've touched, i'd love to see them review things like audeze products.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews

e: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/suggestions

you can vote on what things you're wanting them to review first

RoboCop 3 posted:

I got my Schiit Magni 3 and Modi 2 a few days ago, and I'm really happy with them so far. It's great how much clearer and... "crisper" (?) everything is when the lovely amp in my laptop/motherboard/whatever isn't struggling to drive HD 650s.

edit: What's the general consensus about source volume vs amp volume? My thinking is that I should let the amp amplify and keep the source volume from my phone/DAC/whatever around 50%.

80% - 90% should be just fine

5-HT fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

RoboCop 3 posted:

I got my Schiit Magni 3 and Modi 2 a few days ago, and I'm really happy with them so far. It's great how much clearer and... "crisper" (?) everything is when the lovely amp in my laptop/motherboard/whatever isn't struggling to drive HD 650s.

edit: What's the general consensus about source volume vs amp volume? My thinking is that I should let the amp amplify and keep the source volume from my phone/DAC/whatever around 50%.

Set windows to 90% to avoid signal clipping.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Actually, having thought about it for more than 10 seconds, the source volume shouldn't matter since, in my particular case, my laptop is outputting digital via USB to my DAC. Right? A brief search brings up pages talking about bit clipping and rounding errors. :confused:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RoboCop 3 posted:

I keep my PC and all applicable software set to 100% volume then do the rest via the volume knob on my Jotunheim.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

I keep my PC and all applicable software set to 100% volume then do the rest via the volume knob on my Jotunheim.

Same when it comes to digital volumes, max is best.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Counterpoint: passive isolation on well-fitting IEMs is hard to beat. They’re way easier to pack, aren’t one more thing to keep charged and don’t hinder laying your head against the window to sleep.

Frequent flier. Tried ANC. Hated it.

NFX posted:

I would be hard pressed to say my sonys are more comfortable than IEMs (although this is very much down to personal preference), especially when it’s upwards of 55 hours a week weighted against 10-ish flights a year. They do offer one big advantage over (carefully inserted foam) IEMs in office work (in noisy offices), in that they are easy to take off and on again.

For your use I would honestly consider a pair of regular closed headphones, but that sounds like where you already are at. What are you looking to improve over the AKG545? My second option would probably IEMs, but that sounds tough with a ModMic.

5-HT posted:

that's tough, especially since you want something that you can use for video conferencing. my gut says that you're probably going to want to get a Sennheiser 598 Cs and upgrade from your modmic to a v-moda boom pro to go w/ it.

e: for wireless earbuds, if you want something to try, I'd suggest the Sony WF-1000x. the refurb units go for about $80 and they have some really good anc which makes them great for short flights or gym sessions. everything else can be handled by the Sennheiser 598's.

Thank you everybody for the info and opinions. I started doing some research into IEMs instead of ANC and man the world has changed a lot in the past few years. I've settled on the fact that I'm going to need two pairs of headphones for all of my insane use cases, but have been able to figure things out. I ended up deciding on some universal IEMs and plan to get custom sleeves for them. That gives me the extra isolation and comfort that I'd want on long flights, while also making it easy for me to replacing the individual pieces if things break.

I'll end up keeping my existing AKGs + ModMic for video conferencing since they work well and I don't feel the need to make an upgrade/change for that use case. I've ended up with some Shure 215's (though I'm considering the 535's used) with some custom sleeves. I can upgrade those to the 535 with the same set of sleeves without a hitch. I've also got a solid bluetooth MMCX cable in addition to the wired cable so I can use the same set of IEMs for working out and long flights with in flight entertainment. (I previously had a two pin IEM years ago and lost a bud :(, don't feel super confident in the two pin connector though I'm sure they're fine).

It's so tempting to keep looking at more upgrades and changes for the future too...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I just got a set of Sennheiser HD 450s and bluetooth and the audio jack both work fine, but I can't see it on any USB port on multiple devices. Anyone know what the gently caress? I've tried with multiple usb cables too.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 22, 2018

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just got a set of Sennheiser HD 450s and bluetooth and the audio jack both work fine, but I can't see it on any USB port on multiple devices. Anyone know what the gently caress? I've tried with multiple usb cables too.

the hd 4.50 doesn't support audio via usb afaik, only charging. i know the PXC550 started doing that recently, but I don' think the HD 4.5 does going from sennheisers documentation

https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/7891/HD450BTNC_IM_EN.pdf

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

5-HT posted:

the hd 4.50 doesn't support audio via usb afaik, only charging. i know the PXC550 started doing that recently, but I don' think the HD 4.5 does going from sennheisers documentation

https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-downloads/file/7891/HD450BTNC_IM_EN.pdf

Oh, drat. The old Sennheiser I had has that, assumed it was standard.

...Does the audio cable provide charge, incidentally?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oh, drat. The old Sennheiser I had has that, assumed it was standard.

...Does the audio cable provide charge, incidentally?

afraid not. you could just plug your charge cable and 3.5mm cable simultaneously, but yea. PXC550 and Momentum 2.0 Wireless have the cable as audio feature, but I think that's it. speaking of which, just picked up some PXC550's for $200 so I might be putting my Sony hear.On's on sale here soon just depending.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oh poo poo where did you find that price??

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Oh poo poo where did you find that price??

amazon. there's some amazing deals to be had if you're checking in at least once a day. on anything I'm really looking for or that I'm saving up for, I check at least once a day to see if there's a new "used - good" or "like new" offer from a reputable vendor. i've had some amazing success with that, including snagging some HD800S's for $954.

and after auditioning the qc-35 ii's, the pxc-550, and the whm-100xm2's i really really found myself preferring the pxc-550's sound signature. the bose although more neutral feels somehow "hollow" or "recessed." couldn't put my finger on why until I pulled some measurements Tyll did. QC-35's have horrendous THD in the midrange which would cause such an effect, maybe the always on ANC. it's super hard to tell is the thing.

here's how they measure

and compensated against the harman preference curve

e: this might explain what I'm perceiving?

Axel Grell for Massdrop Community posted:

How do you feel about the Harman Target Response Curve? Does it have any influence on your design when working on a headphone’s sound signature?

It is interesting. We did something similar 23 years ago. And we had very similar findings. When you tune a headphone only following these findings it sounds okay, but a bit boring. As headphones should transport the music, the emotions, we tune them using our ears, knowing all these findings.

https://www.massdrop.com/talk/989/community-interview-axel-grell

the interview is super fluff save for that particular line.

5-HT fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 23, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm hoping this thread can give me a good recommendation for some headphones to use with my tv. I work an early morning shift compared to the others in my house, also its a small house, so headphones will take of any noise issue for the others. Is there something I can plug into my TV that I can simply plug my PC headphones into? I got a comfy Sennheiser 518 set that I love and its got a long enough cable that I can sit comfortably away from the TV. If not, I'm not looking for some fancy 60 hour battery life headphones, just something that'll sound as good as my TV speakers but only I can hear it. And ideally as comfy as my 518 :v:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Leal posted:

I'm hoping this thread can give me a good recommendation for some headphones to use with my tv. I work an early morning shift compared to the others in my house, also its a small house, so headphones will take of any noise issue for the others. Is there something I can plug into my TV that I can simply plug my PC headphones into? I got a comfy Sennheiser 518 set that I love and its got a long enough cable that I can sit comfortably away from the TV. If not, I'm not looking for some fancy 60 hour battery life headphones, just something that'll sound as good as my TV speakers but only I can hear it. And ideally as comfy as my 518 :v:

If your tv has optical out you should be able to use any old preamp/DAC with a digital input. The volume control is important because most TVs don't have variable output on optical. Your TV might also have RCA stereo out in which case you wouldn't even need the digital part, just a preamp.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

qirex posted:

If your tv has optical out you should be able to use any old preamp/DAC with a digital input. The volume control is important because most TVs don't have variable output on optical. Your TV might also have RCA stereo out in which case you wouldn't even need the digital part, just a preamp.

Perfect, thank you!

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
I'm not sure if people are sick of requests for thoughts on a specific headset, but... has anyone tried the Plantronics RIG 800LX or 800HD wireless headsets? I've used Sennheiser's forever and love them but I was looking for a good wireless unit for around 150 if possible.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Gordy posted:

I'm not sure if people are sick of requests for thoughts on a specific headset, but... has anyone tried the Plantronics RIG 800LX or 800HD wireless headsets? I've used Sennheiser's forever and love them but I was looking for a good wireless unit for around 150 if possible.

just go with steel series 7 and be happy

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/steelseries/arctis-7

they can be had for as little as $85

https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-...series+arctis+7

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Was reading through this https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/66x9c0/guide_headphones_gaming/ and wanted to get the Sennheiser 598 (or 599) for gaming. I already have a V-Moda boom mic I use with my current headphones, but it sounds like the 598s don't support that? What do people use if these are pretty common for games?

I work for Best Buy so I'd like to use my discount, but I think the 598s are the only ones on this list we sell.

Also, the boom mic has two 3.5mm plugs on the end, one for mic and one for audio. I guess people have another solution for console (PS4) gaming?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

KingKapalone posted:

Was reading through this https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/66x9c0/guide_headphones_gaming/ and wanted to get the Sennheiser 598 (or 599) for gaming. I already have a V-Moda boom mic I use with my current headphones, but it sounds like the 598s don't support that? What do people use if these are pretty common for games?

I work for Best Buy so I'd like to use my discount, but I think the 598s are the only ones on this list we sell.

Also, the boom mic has two 3.5mm plugs on the end, one for mic and one for audio. I guess people have another solution for console (PS4) gaming?

The Fidelio X1/X2 pair great with the V-Moda boom mic and are what I’ve been using for years. On top of their single 3.5mm connector for easy cable swaps, they are good headphones for gaming because they are bassy and have a decently wide soundstage. They’re getting harder to find in stock lately; I got the X2s from Amazon UK last month.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

KingKapalone posted:

Mixamp would be the solution for consoles.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

KingShiro posted:

Mixamp would be the solution for consoles.

The v-moda boom mic comes with a y-cable adapter so that it can either have the 2 plugs for pc use or a single plug for connecting into a PS4/XBO controller or phone or whatever.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 27, 2018

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

KingKapalone posted:

For console, like mentioned, the BoomPro comes with a TRRS adapter that you just plug in to the controllers. PS4 supports USB soundcards as well, so you can plug it in to those.

For HD598s, you can get a mic similar to a BoomPro that connects to the HD598's proprietary 2.5mm plug. This one: http://a.co/bVHg5Re

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

So my puppy just ate my Brainwavz M2's, which I liked very much. Recommendations for replacement wired IEMs in the ~$100 range for music, podcasts, and watching YouTube on my laptop?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Thanks for advice. Another thing, I don't really know about DACs and amps. I have some audio engine speakers. Would there be something that both the two plugs for the boom mic and the speakers could plug into for my PC?

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Setec_Astronomy posted:

So my puppy just ate my Brainwavz M2's, which I liked very much. Recommendations for replacement wired IEMs in the ~$100 range for music, podcasts, and watching YouTube on my laptop?

Final Audio is your best bet

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Audio-Design-Heaven-Noir/dp/B00HYBAN2I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524853797&sr=8-1&keywords=Final+Audio+heaven+II

5-HT fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 27, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The Final Audio E3000 has similar audio quality to the Heaven 2 and is cheaper.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

grack posted:

The Final Audio E3000 has similar audio quality to the Heaven 2 and is cheaper.

hard to say if that's true. the Heaven II punches significantly above its price point on measurements

i mean it's only 1 to 1.5db different in response compared to these. only major difference is thd.

quote:

AudezeLCD3Rev2sn2613375circa2012 -- 1.26 dB
FocalElearsn1BEBG004809 -- 1.29 dB
AudezeLCDXSN7454971 -- 1.30 dB
ShureSE425 -- 1.32 dB
AstrotecAX7 -- 1.33 dB
AudezeLCD2sn53211704circa2012 -- 1.35 dB
AudezeLCD3sn2312488 -- 1.38 dB
MrSpeakersAEONPreProduction -- 1.39 dB
AudezeLCD4sn4142923Katz3rdMeasurement -- 1.41 dB
AudezeLCD4sn4142923Katz2ndMeasurement -- 1.41 dB
FocalElear -- 1.43 dB
OppoPM22014PM1VelourPads -- 1.44 dB
FocalUtopiasnA1BEHG003253 -- 1.44 dB
FocalClearsnA1BRQE000007 -- 1.46 dB
AiwaHP500DIYModifiedKabeer -- 1.47 dB
FocalClearsnA1BRQE000013 -- 1.48 dB
AudezeLCD2Rev2 -- 1.48 dB
OppoPM3SampleC -- 1.48 dB
AudezeLCD3sn2312454 -- 1.49 dB
InEarStageDiverSD2 -- 1.51 dB

for more apples to apples, the In Ear Stage Diver SDII is an IEM, and it goes for $350+ easily

5-HT fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 28, 2018

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

waiting for my hd6xx's

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

landgrabber posted:

waiting for my hd6xx's

Mine are due in August, but a friend gifted me his Grado SR60 that he never uses, I found a pair of demoed Phillips Fidelio M2BT at a hifi store, and I picked up a pair of Fidelio X2s from the classifieds the day after. They should keep me going while I wait.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

evobatman posted:

Mine are due in August, but a friend gifted me his Grado SR60 that he never uses, I found a pair of demoed Phillips Fidelio M2BT at a hifi store, and I picked up a pair of Fidelio X2s from the classifieds the day after. They should keep me going while I wait.

yeah, mine are due at a similar time, i jumped on the most recent drop. no such luck, so i'm stuck in the loving headvice that is the ATH-M50s until then. seriously these things are TIGHT

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

landgrabber posted:

waiting for my hd6xx's

I feel the same way about the campfire cascades I ordered. Can't come soon enough.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
My bose QC15 is dying, Left earpad is disconnecting the sound whenever i touch it, or too much wind comes on it.

I hear the bose QC 35 is really good. Is that true? I did some searching. and i read it doesn't go well with wind? The route i use to commute almost always has heavy wind against me.
I've been wearing the bose qc15 for 6 years now. It was really good. Love to cycle with them.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
The Sony's are supposed to be just as good with noise cancellation but have better sound. Not sure of the wind factor though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sefal posted:

My bose QC15 is dying, Left earpad is disconnecting the sound whenever i touch it, or too much wind comes on it.

I hear the bose QC 35 is really good. Is that true? I did some searching. and i read it doesn't go well with wind? The route i use to commute almost always has heavy wind against me.
I've been wearing the bose qc15 for 6 years now. It was really good. Love to cycle with them.

You do you and all that but it seems crazy dangerous to ride with a pair of NC cans on.

That said! I love my QC35's and they are so drat comfortable. The sound quality isn't amazing by any stretch but the NC is great and I wore them for pretty much 10 hours straight on a flight and there was no fatigue.

If you are near a Best Buy they should have the QC35s and the sony's out for you to try and you for sure should. I didn't care for how the Sonys fit but you might like them better.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Maybe it's because of the noise cancelling not being as good on the qc15 but i've always been able to hear loud sounds that appear suddenly.
The only accident i have had was when i was cycling up a hill, and my chains broke and i couldn't use my brakes as i cycled down the hill and I had to use my feet to stop.
never using a bicycle again where you peddle backwards to use the brake.

Thank you! I will try out the QC35 II.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
Sennheiser PXC 550 Trip report :

Wow!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Got a Philips SHP9500S a few months back as per a thread recommendation - would highly recommend for anyone looking for something cheap but good. Has a replaceable cord - the one that comes with felt a bit short, but that's not exactly expensive to upgrade/replace. Really paid off too because my cat ended up chewing up the cord and it was a lot cheaper then replacing the set like I had to for my previous headphones.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

sofokles posted:

Wow!

Agreed. Got to test them at an airport. Really hard to resist just buying them on the spot for my flight. I also really like the "aware" mode where it pipes in the outside sound.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sofokles posted:

Wow!

I really wanted to like them but the fit just wasn’t right and they felt like they were clamping down on my head. They are great though if you like the fit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

sofokles posted:

Wow!

they're great cans if they fit well. definitely better than Bose and Sony when it comes to the quality of the audio!