Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean even if you did save WCW in early 2000 before it became completely unsavable I think what would of been left would of been either pre Hogan WCW or Sinclair Ring of Honor. It'd exist but there would be no way Turner or Warner would ever put in serious money to the company again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tato posted:

Oh yeah, Goldberg was a lucky life preserver that somehow makes it even sadder that they hosed it up. But Hogan and Nash were very smart in expertly sabotaging him. Not only did they find a way to make him less over after winning the belt, but eventually turned him into a paranoid dude who refused to do jobs as well. I think they would have been just as successful in sabotaging any other phenoms WCW lucked into.

Yeah, you really see where Goldberg gets it from. I can't blame Austin for being paranoid about protecting his spot, considering what happened to him in WCW when Hogan came in.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Going back and listening to Bruno Sammartino interviews, which are fantastic, it's jumped out at me that Hogan used Buddy Rogers's MO: move in to a territory with his entourage, use his clout to get his guys over and then move on once the territory died. It's not quite a perfect parallel since WCW did pretty good business for a while, but in the end relying on Hogan to the extent they did was basically a ticking time bomb.

In this parallel, the only thing that would have saved WCW was having Goldberg go over Hogan in less than a minute at Starrcade.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
WCW probably still would’ve probably collapsed under the weight of all their big money contracts. The wrestling boom wasn’t gonna last forever.

IMO the promotion was dead/dying since Crockett bought Watts and everything that happened after that was just a countdown to the inevitable collapse.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

WCW probably still would’ve probably collapsed under the weight of all their big money contracts. The wrestling boom wasn’t gonna last forever.

IMO the promotion was dead/dying since Crockett bought Watts and everything that happened after that was just a countdown to the inevitable collapse.

The contracts made up less than 1/5th of the total company expenses in 2000 and even less as losses accelerated at the end of the year. It wasn't the contracts, it was a company that pissed away all of its revenue. Would those revenues have continued forever? No, but if they didn't book themselves into oblivion they would have been in a better position to ride it out. They had improved their touring business so greatly in 1998 that it's absurd. Even as the WWF was overtaking them they had a huge year to year increase in live attendance and gates and even as they crashed in early 99 attendance was still fairly strong until the end of the spring when the product was just the worst poo poo ever.

This is at a time when they were starting to fire on all cylinders with licensing and sponsors as well.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

The contracts made up less than 1/5th of the total company expenses in 2000 and even less as losses accelerated at the end of the year. It wasn't the contracts, it was a company that pissed away all of its revenue. Would those revenues have continued forever? No, but if they didn't book themselves into oblivion they would have been in a better position to ride it out. They had improved their touring business so greatly in 1998 that it's absurd. Even as the WWF was overtaking them they had a huge year to year increase in live attendance and gates and even as they crashed in early 99 attendance was still fairly strong until the end of the spring when the product was just the worst poo poo ever.

This is at a time when they were starting to fire on all cylinders with licensing and sponsors as well.

Same as it ever was, really - to hear the old guard from Jim Crockett tell it, they did great business but were done in by, as above, pissing away all their revenue. All those expansions likely didn't help.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At the peak, you could argue the WCW talent was underpaid, considering how much money the company was making.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

mrt if they had brought in Kane to fight the Stinger would that have saved wcw?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

if they had brought in Kane would that have saved wcw?

absolutely

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Yeah, Meltzer has done great detail on how you could remove every contract in 99 off the record books and they'd still lose money.

The issue is that the contracts are tied in with the politics and no one either realized the truth or had the backbone to argue to Turner suits why it was imperative to pay Hulk Hogan (and plenty of other useless old guys no longer drawing) to stay home and not wrestle for the good of the company's future. Especially when Hogan himself was working the office guys and had so much clout.

You need someone with balls and the authority to back it up. Vince wanted Austin to job to a new up and comer in Lesnar and while the wiseness of that can be debated, he still had the backbone and authority to effectively suspend/kick out the greatest financial draw in his company's history because you can't have talent refusing to do jobs and blowing off their bosses.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jason Sextro posted:

Same as it ever was, really - to hear the old guard from Jim Crockett tell it, they did great business but were done in by, as above, pissing away all their revenue. All those expansions likely didn't help.

In Crockett's case they started signing talent to big contracts (and buying planes and poo poo) under the assumption they'd make big PPV revenue. They also had their live attendance drop as Dusty ran out of good ideas. The company had been on fire, it's true but they started overspending on the assumption they were about to make even more.

And they wouldn't just lose money if you removed all of the contracts, they'd lose 20-30 million depending on which figure you go with for their talent budget.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Every couple of years I head over to the Joint Mathematics Meetings and ask the nerds there to crunch the exact same numbers and give me the results. Every single time they tell me it was mathematically impossible for WCW to screw up getting Bret Hart as a member of the roster. I then show them how WCW handled Bret Hart and they criticize me for producing fake material that is mathematically impossible. Several have committed suicide. They beg me not to come back, but I always do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Every couple of years I head over to the Joint Mathematics Meetings and ask the nerds there to crunch the exact same numbers and give me the results. Every single time they tell me it was mathematically impossible for WCW to screw up getting Bret Hart as a member of the roster. I then show them how WCW handled Bret Hart and they criticize me for producing fake material that is mathematically impossible. Several have committed suicide. They beg me not to come back, but I always do.

It produced his severe groin injury which was the highlight of his career.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Re: Hogan's contract

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/659039118551314432

Basically got a Hulk Hogan fee for being Hulk Hogan

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

rovert posted:

Re: Hogan's contract

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/659039118551314432

Basically got a Hulk Hogan fee for being Hulk Hogan

my favorite parts are the $20,000 monthly fee he received any time he was repping the nWo on-screen, and that he got 100% of revenues generated by the Hulkster promos on WCW's hotline

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jason Sextro posted:

If anyone has hours to kill, Cornette has gone through his notes for several spans from JCP and in WCW. The pieces get redundant, but it's insane how bad JCP/WCW management was at promoting. He does believe, though, that Rhodes had the company back on the right track during the summer of 1988 before all the departures and the sale to Turner.

Crockett had this awful habit of buying dying territories. He bought out Watts. He bought Central States, he bought Florida. All territories where he could have swooped in for much cheaper after letting them die. Central States wasn't even worth swooping in.

WCW was dying since 1988. It just went much quicker at the end.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

MassRafTer posted:

In Crockett's case they started signing talent to big contracts (and buying planes and poo poo) under the assumption they'd make big PPV revenue. They also had their live attendance drop as Dusty ran out of good ideas. The company had been on fire, it's true but they started overspending on the assumption they were about to make even more.

And they wouldn't just lose money if you removed all of the contracts, they'd lose 20-30 million depending on which figure you go with for their talent budget.

So what *were* they spending all their revenue on?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jackie D posted:

Mountains of cocaine, enough to fill the Mariana Trench, would be my guess.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It was spent on grambling. one of paper equals four of coin.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/wcw-nitro-photos#fid-26134752

http://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/50-forgotten-wcw-stars-photos#fid-27252590

I really miss WCW. :smithcloud:

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 22, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jackie D posted:

pyro, destroying a car, lawsuits, destroying a car, production costs, destroying a car, an entire office full of salaried employees, hiring dennis rodman, destroying yet another car, ad rate buybacks, the partridge family bus, new set design

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Also lots of plane tickets so we can fly tons of wrestlers in every week. Never know when you'll need to book a John Nord vs Barbarian match to drive your entire audience away during a wrestling war. Better to be safe than sorry.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

pyro, destroying a car, lawsuits, destroying a car, production costs, destroying a car, an entire office full of salaried employees, hiring dennis rodman, destroying yet another car, ad rate buybacks, the partridge family bus, new set design

the cardboard cutout of goldberg, which was more over than half the roster

also the goldberg monster truck, which was more over than the cardboard cutout of goldberg

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jackie D posted:

It's really expensive to run live TV or even tape TV. Each taping is several hundred thousand dollars. WCW's attendance dropped by 2,500 per event from 98 to 99 (From 8K to 5,500). Most of that drop coming in the second half. Gates only dropped 15% because they raised ticket prices. Buyrates fell 41%.

In 2000 they dropped from 5,500 to 2,600. Gates dropped 50% down to an average of $70,000 per show. Buyrates dropped 69% in 2000. Imagine a 69% drop in your key revenue stream. It's stunning.

WCW revolutionized the business with big budget weekly TV and then switched to monthly major PPV events. That's a lot of expense, but there was plenty of revenue. Even in the first half of 99 they could cover it. But the product was so bad that all that happened.

But then there is all the stupid stuff. The monster trucks, the limos they'd destroy, putting a triple cage on a random Nitro, KISS (they spent millions on KISS!) Master P and Megadeth... hell those deserve special note. Within 3 months of each other they brought in Master P, KISS and Megadeth. Granted Master P was supposed to be a more full time attraction but that doesn't make it better! They did all sorts of crazy stunts on PPV like "Sting" falling off the Titantron, graveyard matches, the loving Junkyard match, all of this stuff cost a ton of money.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I seem to have completely blanked everything about Megadeth in WCW. Was that part of a cross promotion with Universal Soldier: The Return and that really bad song they wrote for the movie?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MrBling posted:

I seem to have completely blanked everything about Megadeth in WCW. Was that part of a cross promotion with Universal Soldier: The Return and that really bad song they wrote for the movie?

It was totally loving awesome and i won't hear anything ill about it

:megadeath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evb-7pODBog

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

All I remember of that period is “Crush Em” so I’m guessing that’s what you’re talking about?

Edit: yep, had a feeling

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The GWAR song on that soundtrack was obviously superior (albeit not written for the film) and WCW should've paid to get GWAR instead of Megadeth :black101:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I don't have The Death of WCW on hand but if unless I'm mistaken they signed Swoll, a guy specifically brought in for Master P's No Limit Soldiers stable, to a contract of $350,000 with a $50,000 signing bonus. From what I can find he wrestled six matches and was paid $30,890.41 before being released. I don't think Master P drew enough for him and the rest of the No Limit Soldiers.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I like that they call Akira Hokuto, Halloween and Damián 666 forgotten

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RZApublican posted:

I don't have The Death of WCW on hand but if unless I'm mistaken they signed Swoll, a guy specifically brought in for Master P's No Limit Soldiers stable, to a contract of $350,000 with a $50,000 signing bonus. From what I can find he wrestled six matches and was paid $30,890.41 before being released. I don't think Master P drew enough for him and the rest of the No Limit Soldiers.

Wasn't there also a contract that they accidentally let be renewed because it had an option that gave them 30 days to elect not to and they forgot about it? And it was like a 350K per year deal? Nailz, I think?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

another thing they lost money on was home video, as Bischoff gave the home video releases to a Jason Hervey owned production company that didn't know what the gently caress it was doing. Bad quality, worse distribution. At the height of the wrestling boom, WCW home videos are virtually NEVER in the top 20 sellers lists. Keep in mind that ECW, CZW, and Juggalo Championshit Wrestling among others regularly sold enough videos to rank on these lists in the same period.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lance Storm was asked if he wanted room or transportation covered by WCW. IIRC he chose room because he figured he could split a rental car with someone else.

WCW gave him both.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't there also a contract that they accidentally let be renewed because it had an option that gave them 30 days to elect not to and they forgot about it? And it was like a 350K per year deal? Nailz, I think?

The iron sheik, 200k in the early wcw days when he was already sent home for 4 months

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Smoking Crow posted:

I like that they call Akira Hokuto, Halloween and Damián 666 forgotten

Referring to Halloween and Damian 666 as WCW stars is even more jarring. Lucha stars, sure, but they were basically jobbers in WCW.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

At least they had the FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE MEXICAN HARDCORE MATCH against La Parka and Silver King at one point, that was pretty fun. Well, it would've been, if the commentators hadn't been making GBS threads all over the match while probably drunk.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

RZApublican posted:

They put him in a faction with Konnan and Rey. He tagged with brad Armstrong ripping off his brothers gimmick. I watched his first match on thunder a few weeks ago.

If you can’t get over with those guys you don’t really have a chance.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The American Dream posted:

They put him in a faction with Konnan and Rey. He tagged with brad Armstrong ripping off his brothers gimmick. I watched his first match on thunder a few weeks ago.

He was part of a 12 man faction that was feuding with like 4 guys and curly bill

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 22, 2018

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

The American Dream posted:

Not only that, he was pulled over and arrested for unpaid child support shortly after the signing. WCW can sure pick them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
That angle was great booking.
"Faces" have more manpower than the "heels"
"Heels" hate rap and love country and preach that in The South