Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Is there a recommended iPad model for music production work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Plavski posted:

Is there a recommended iPad model for music production work?

Whatever has the most storage and RAM that you can afford. Screen real estate is also valuable (I don’t have a 12” Pro so I don’t know how your average music app is scaling on it in 2018 but I assume it’s fine) and every current model except the Mini is now Pencil compatible, which is probably pretty cool for some production apps.

I have a first generation Air with 32gb and I maxed out the storage with music apps and had to delete all of the games about a year ago. It also hiccups audibly sometimes when switching/launching apps via Audiobus 3. So I’d recommend getting something newer and more powerful than that, and with way more storage. If you want to be carefree with your samples and clips and projects on your iPad get at least 64gb.

The newest “education” iPad is fine and good and cheaper than the Pro models that haven’t been updated since last year. That’s probably what I would get.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The pro models do have a really nice set of on board speakers. Obviously not reference quality but it can be nice when you’re just messing around and don’t want to plug anything in.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
if the overbridge isnt announced at Superbooth in a few weeks im going to cross my arms and give my screen a stern stare

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

if the overbridge isnt announced at Superbooth in a few weeks im going to cross my arms and give my screen a stern stare

I think we all know what’ll happen new product announcement

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm gonna get an op-1 from MoMA. They're doing a membership sale this weekend but it seems the same as a first time order with a membership? Is there some thing I can do to make it cheaper before the same ends. I'm fine buying it at the normal member price, but money saved is money saved.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm gonna get an op-1 from MoMA. They're doing a membership sale this weekend but it seems the same as a first time order with a membership? Is there some thing I can do to make it cheaper before the same ends. I'm fine buying it at the normal member price, but money saved is money saved.

I had no idea MoMA sold synths. So you’re going to get it during the 20% off member sale days? Are you getting the normal membership for $85 or global for $70? I’m in nyc so I might possibly use a pass once or twice, this is interesting.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

I had no idea MoMA sold synths.

Yeah, me either. I was at the ABBA museum in Stockholm last year and they were selling the OP-1, but that's a lot more intuitive than MoMA.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Snowy posted:

I had no idea MoMA sold synths. So you’re going to get it during the 20% off member sale days? Are you getting the normal membership for $85 or global for $70? I’m in nyc so I might possibly use a pass once or twice, this is interesting.

Normal $85 membership knocks the price down by about a hundred bucks after accounting for the $85. I think your first purchase has 10% off on top of the regular 10% off, but I can't tell if that's negating the 20% off this weekend. Either ways it's a great price but I'm scheming here. I'm not sure if I should but the membership separately first. I might just order it and contact them after.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If you just want the discount it seems like you could go for the $70 membership and save a few more bucks. Post your results!

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Stan Taylor posted:

Normal $85 membership knocks the price down by about a hundred bucks after accounting for the $85. I think your first purchase has 10% off on top of the regular 10% off, but I can't tell if that's negating the 20% off this weekend. Either ways it's a great price but I'm scheming here. I'm not sure if I should but the membership separately first. I might just order it and contact them after.

Good luck - OP1 seems to be one of those mostly "sale-proof" synths at any of the local shops, but hopefully that's not buried in the fine print.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
get em started early

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Good call on the global membership folks. I just bit the bullet and ordered it. Came out under $800 altogether.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Help me out here folks, why shouldn’t I get a make noise system cartesian???

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Help me out here folks, why shouldn’t I get a make noise system cartesian???

because you should get the black and gold shared system instead

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Gringostar posted:

because you should get the black and gold shared system instead

nah, just call em and get the cartesian in the 7U case instead a the 3U skiff

and fill it with weirder poo poo

get a sport mod :getin:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

stillvisions posted:

Good luck - OP1 seems to be one of those mostly "sale-proof" synths at any of the local shops, but hopefully that's not buried in the fine print.

If I remember right it's one where the MSRP and MAP are identical, so no discounting it specifically. TE used to exempt themselves (or most big retailers did, not sure which) from a lot of %-off coupons as well, not sure if that's the case anymore.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Do y’all know of any good “general-purpose” preset packs for Serum? I love serum’s interface and power, but I find that the presets it came with are very over-the-top. I think they serve well to show how far you can go with serum, but I don’t find them so useful when just browsing sounds for inspiration while songwriting. Maybe I’m just too boring to be using serum, but man I love saw waves AND I love serum’s modulation interface.

e: I really like, for instance, the presets that came with Air Hybrid, but ugh it’s such a pain to keep track of what’s being modulated by what in that software.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

giogadi posted:

Do y’all know of any good “general-purpose” preset packs for Serum? I love serum’s interface and power, but I find that the presets it came with are very over-the-top. I think they serve well to show how far you can go with serum, but I don’t find them so useful when just browsing sounds for inspiration while songwriting. Maybe I’m just too boring to be using serum, but man I love saw waves AND I love serum’s modulation interface.

e: I really like, for instance, the presets that came with Air Hybrid, but ugh it’s such a pain to keep track of what’s being modulated by what in that software.

Sent you a PM.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MrSargent posted:

Sent you a PM.

If that was a PM to anything else other than the Google drive SA presets, I'd love a pm as well.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Just reiterating that I'm selling a general purpose pack for Massive, PM me if interested! :)

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
you could just go hardware :getin:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If that was a PM to anything else other than the Google drive SA presets, I'd love a pm as well.

Sent you a PM as well!

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
me: so my daughter played with a drum machine this weekend and actually connected with playing and recording rhythms
coworker: cool, my sons kind of come and go with my gear. I got them a keyboard and it didn't work well.
me: yeah I got mine a Casio home keyboard and all my kids do is dance to the alladin song
coworker: I gave my 9 year olds a DSS1
me: Let me stop you right there
<laughter all around>

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

A couple of months ago a drunken conversation in the pub with an artist friend culminated in the two of us agreeing to do a collab project of sorts: he would let me write two pieces of music responding to a couple of his drawings; and vice versa. Anyhoo unlike a lot of drunken projects this one has actually been partially realised.

Tech-wise its basically 90% modular and a self-built reaktor block ensemble. Gentle process music stuff; no beats; as usual for me. Enjoy if its your thing :puckout:

https://soundcloud.com/scatterfold/one-more-time-with-feeling

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Startyde posted:

I think we all know what’ll happen new product announcement

boy i hope so. the ensuing riot is going to be amazing

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

I dig it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Digitakt 1.08:

https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Digitakt_OS1.08_readme.pdf

quote:

List of changes from OS 1.07 to 1.08
Improvements
Master compressor added.
The name of the sample loaded to a track is displayed when you press and hold [SRC] or if you are
in GRID RECORDING mode and press a trig with a sample lock.
Screensaver mode is implemented. If there is no interaction with the Digitakt for some time, then
the screen intensity is automatically lowered.
When you add a retrig, the first up/down-arrow press now only engages the retrig on/off (and does
not change RATE) on the first press.

Bug fixes
When you load a Sound to the Sound Pool, its associated sample was not loaded to the RAM, if
the original sample slot was not empty in the active project.
The last entry in the sample list was empty when viewing RAM in the Sample Manager.
Parameter locks on lock trigs are applied additively, but only the parameter locks from the latest
lock trig were reset by the following note trig.
BPM was sometimes displayed with two decimals instead of one.
Press-and-hold encoder turn sometimes resulted in reverse-turn on release.
https://www.elektron.se/support/?connection=digitakt#resources

Listen to it here: https://soundcloud.com/elektron/sets/digitakt-compressor

Sidechaining on the DT. Oh that's gonna be fun to gently caress around with.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 25, 2018

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
lmao

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
still no overbridge right?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Gringostar posted:

still no overbridge right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwlogyj7nFE

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

awwww yeah, it's on now

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Op-1 arrived like five minutes before I left for work this morning so I'm gonna play with it on my lunch break. :slick:

The MoMA discount seems to be the best way to get a new one for cheap, even used ones seem closer to retail price.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

Op-1 arrived like five minutes before I left for work this morning so I'm gonna play with it on my lunch break. :slick:

The MoMA discount seems to be the best way to get a new one for cheap, even used ones seem closer to retail price.

the best way to spend time with the op-1 is to put the cow on everything

the cow is so good they should sell it as a vst and everyone would buy it

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
:ssh: it’s a stripped down echobode from sonic charge. Same dev and everything.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Startyde posted:

noice

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Startyde posted:

That's awesome to know! I love that effect, and it'll be great to get that sound outside of the OP-1.

Hard to beat those graphics, though.

That was definitely one of the most fun software updates for the OP-1.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

awwww yeah, it's on now

I am seriously considering getting one of these guys as my next synth purchase. How do you like it so far? My reasons for wanting one are that I absolutely love the sound of the Moog Model D on Dr. Dre's albums and I wanted to be able to add some of those fat leads/basses to my hip-hop beats.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MrSargent posted:

I am seriously considering getting one of these guys as my next synth purchase. How do you like it so far? My reasons for wanting one are that I absolutely love the sound of the Moog Model D on Dr. Dre's albums and I wanted to be able to add some of those fat leads/basses to my hip-hop beats.

it's a model d. if you like a model d, it's a model d

however, it comes with the caveats of being slow to warm up and patchless. i like mine, but honestly, if i want a moog sound and i don't want to just gently caress around with semi-modular, i'd probably go to a softsynth instead. much faster to get what you want.

the time it takes to warm up and the amount of drift and tuning i have to do have forever put me off analog oscillators. tuning oscillators is the death of inspiration imo. when i want a sound i don't want to have to tune my synth up every time i switch it on. i don't have to do that for my guitars and i don't want to do that for my synths. digital oscillators 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Plavski posted:

it's a model d. if you like a model d, it's a model d

however, it comes with the caveats of being slow to warm up and patchless. i like mine, but honestly, if i want a moog sound and i don't want to just gently caress around with semi-modular, i'd probably go to a softsynth instead. much faster to get what you want.

the time it takes to warm up and the amount of drift and tuning i have to do have forever put me off analog oscillators. tuning oscillators is the death of inspiration imo. when i want a sound i don't want to have to tune my synth up every time i switch it on. i don't have to do that for my guitars and i don't want to do that for my synths. digital oscillators 4 lyfe

That's a fair suggestion and I just got an email from Arturia about a discounted V Collection, which includes a Model D softsynth. That's a shame about the Model D, because it really looked exciting. I don't know much about tuning oscillators so maybe you can help me out. I have a Korg Minilogue and every time I start it up, it goes through a Tuning process. This is usually pretty quick and has never bothered me, but are you saying that its much worse on the Model D? I didn't realize that it came with no presets, which would kinda suck for my process. I tend to scroll through presets until I find something close, and then tweak it. I tried designing my sounds from scratch at one point, and while I am glad I learned a lot, for me sound design absolutely kills my creativity when trying to write something.