Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the NYT style guide actually requires all journos to wear condoms 24/7, even off work, because the entire board thinks you get AIDS otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Do you think that when Trump finally goes down in flames, Sean Hannity will throw himself on Trump's funeral pyre?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kurzon posted:

Do you think that when Trump finally goes down in flames, Sean Hannity will throw himself on Trump's funeral pyre?

He'll scream "It was just a prank" then move on to being a sycophant for the next gop candidate

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kurzon posted:

What if Hannity is who betray's Trump in the final dramatic act?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kurzon posted:

if Trump is ever impeached or whatever Sean will spend one day denouncing it as the (((deep state))) destroying everything before moving on to the next right wing white nationalist populist he can cling to. He's a cheap date, no one goes to him for a steady relationship.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

PT6A posted:

Yes, truly; we need to remember that women and people of colour need to wait their loving turn and any messaging to the contrary is just unconscionable to me, a white man.

I think the point is that she's actually wrong and that dismantling oppressive institutions is one of several vital aspects of addressing the material effects of racism and sexism

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'd like for all the center-dem partisan types that are constantly in this thread to just look at this and think back, reflect on the conversations that were had in here during the DACA fracas a couple months back.

Remember how this was never gonna happen? I sure do.

Maybe you should read the article and understand that this had nothing to do with Trump's attack on DACA.

This is an "ICE IS EVIL" story. DACA is still effectively in place

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

theflyingorc posted:

Maybe you should read the article and understand that this had nothing to do with Trump's attack on DACA.

This is an "ICE IS EVIL" story. DACA is still effectively in place

if Trump wasn't attacking DACA this wouldn't be happening, genius. ICE has always been evil, Trump is just more eager to assist them than past guys

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

I'd like for all the center-dem partisan types that are constantly in this thread to just look at this and think back, reflect on the conversations that were had in here during the DACA fracas a couple months back.

Hi.

A large part of the thinking for a Dreamer deal getting done was the assumption that Trump and the Republicans were going to operate in some small form of good faith. Not out of any sympathy for the Dreamers obviously but because they would naturally want to get what they wanted out of some deal. Which is what Dems tried to do. Let’s offer Trump funding for the wall and border security. Rejected. Ok, let’s offer him the full funding for the wall, all 25 billion, for a Dream act. Rejected. Ok let’s offer the full funding and allow some changes to the legal immigration numbers that would be bad but bearable in the short term. Rejected. Technically at one point or another Trump agreed with leading Dems on each of these proposals but then soon after each time Kelly and Miller got in his ear and shot them down. Their offer? A total gutting of all legal immigration, no path to citizenship for Dreamers, and horrific restrictions on the ones here that would see them deported if they weren’t able to walk a tightrope of requirements. An offer so bad Dreamer advocacy groups outright dismissed it as utterly unworkable. Dems unilaterally rejected it. Meanwhile Paul Ryan, as Speaker, refuses to allow anything else on to the floor.

Obviously the Republicans knew their take it or leave it offer would never get accepted but the point was to technically “make an offer” so as to try and shape the narrative that it was the Dems fault a deal wasn’t getting done. Which leaves one inescapable conclusion from this whole mess, the GOP controlled Congress working with the Trump whitehouse was never and will never pass a Dream act. The only way to change that is for the Dems to retake the House. If that occurrs they can easily pass something that would also be palatable to at least 60 votes in the Senate and then it’s on Trump whether he’ll veto it or not. He probably would but since he’s a terrible coward and now dealing with a hostile Congress he might kow to the pressure.

And the argument that the Dems didn’t message well or hard enough well, they tried. During that weekend shutdown leading Dems literally took turns on the floor making speeches directly pertaining to how DACA needed to be protected. The result was that the media didn’t care and presented the entire thing as Dem obstructionism over illegal immigrants. Internal polling immediately showed that Dems were taking a hit and post Morten polling showed that while a good majority of people support a Dream act they did NOT support shutting the government down for it. The aftermath of the shutdown and the lost messaging war almost assuredly contributed to the late January upswing for the Republicans in the polling.

Could the Dems have done better to try and win the messaging war? I mean sure maybe. But Id like to hear the suggestions because the sad reality is that most of the Democratic constituency does not care enough about the Dreamers to engage in a break with :decorum: , and the rest of the country is outright hostile to the Dems in the best of times as we saw in the media during the shutdown. Because during a shutdown millions of people take a real hit, and ultimately they care about that more than immigrants.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 22, 2018

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sexpig by night posted:

if Trump wasn't attacking DACA this wouldn't be happening, genius. ICE has always been evil, Trump is just more eager to assist them than past guys

You can't read either, neat.

This person would have still had this happen to him even if Congress had passed a DREAM act

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
She and Sweet Dee need to go on the road together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3BEUX5n0nY&t=47s

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

alright, just act cool, nothing sus-

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/988106076028653568

DAMMIT DONALD

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

how long before he gets an op-ed in the NYT

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

These kinds of tweets, like when he’ll randomly tweet “MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN” seemingly out of nowhere have got to be a nervous tic.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It's a sign that he's heard of something that we're about to hear about.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
He's reacting to something he's watching on TV.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Good for him! A complete Witch Hunt can be three or four times the value of a partial Witch Hunt that's missing even just a single piece.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/KateBennett_DC/status/988089593772892160

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what set him off today.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Up to 34 tweets about witch hunting!

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Regarding the gender imbalances in China and India, can you imagine the opportunity for psyops in those countries?

You've actually hit upon a point that I've spent a lot of time thinking about. Both China and India have very large populations of individuals who recent history has demonstrated are the prime market for Narrativism to take root and spread throughout a society. This isn't happening yet owing to social controls (E.g. China's great firewall) presently operating as a buffer against the spread of narrative ISM in those countries. However, I fully expect that at some point in time in the future someone is going to figure out how to spread Narrativism amongst the huge populations of males in India/China who have no real future prospects for a job or starting a family.

Shits gonna get pretty wild when that happens.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 22, 2018

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

He's reacting to something he's watching on TV.

???

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
This is your periodic reminder that when Trump says "witch hunt", he is not referring to innocent individuals being accused of witchcraft by their neighbors or witch hunters. He thinks it means innocent people (himself and his colleagues, natch) being hunted by witches.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

These kinds of tweets, like when he’ll randomly tweet “MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN” seemingly out of nowhere have got to be a nervous tic.

They're just him reacting to something he saw on TV. Probably either a political commercial or he happened to flip to a channel that wasn't Fox or CNN so nobody is quite sure what he's yelling in response to.

The alternative options for motivating incidents are conversations with his lawyers, conversations with people on the phone, and magazine covers he happens to see in passing which we'll never know the name or issue of.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/968468176639004672

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

sexpig by night posted:

if Trump is ever impeached or whatever Sean will spend one day denouncing it as the (((deep state))) destroying everything before moving on to the next right wing white nationalist populist he can cling to. He's a cheap date, no one goes to him for a steady relationship.

You also have to consider how much power he'd have after that hypothetical scenario of the the right wing having a mental breakdown larger than the collective elections and 8 years of the Obama Administration for having a black man be more important than any of them. If Trump's impeached the base will both break out even more violently and probably just sit out a subsequent 2020 election because their big dumb racist was taken from them. All of these poo poo heads tie their success and faith in the country right now to Trump and trump being the first president to actually be removed from office through impeachment would break them harder than they ever have because daddy got hit with consequences they can't deny.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crow Jane posted:

This is your periodic reminder that when Trump says "witch hunt", he is not referring to innocent individuals being accused of witchcraft by their neighbors or witch hunters. He thinks it means innocent people (himself and his colleagues, natch) being hunted by witches.

I was just about to point this out too.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

There are a couple of posters who really should have this tweet set as their AV to remind them of how loving clueless they actually are about how the world actually works. There are some extremely educated and erudite people who are learning the hard way that they are the ones who have actually spent their lives in a sheltered bubble and they're the ones who should shut the gently caress up and listen when people who know what they're talking about are speaking.

Except that they're not actually learning the hard way, because they're not suffering any consequences for their idiocy. Defenseless innocents who are having their lives destroyed are the ones who are suffering the consequences. I hope a certain few (affluent, white) computer janitors are paying attention right now, because reality is calmly dismantling there arrogant ignorance about "how bad things will never be allowed to happen".

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 22, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crow Jane posted:

Which is stupid, because as we all know Mueller isn't a witch - he would be considered a "Warlock" since he's male, except he's truly a Golem summoned by the Dems for a single purpose, after which he will be able to return to his slumber.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

theflyingorc posted:

You can't read either, neat.

This person would have still had this happen to him even if Congress had passed a DREAM act

From the article

The article posted:

After spending an evening with his girlfriend in Calexico, Calif., on Feb. 17, Juan Manuel Montes, 23, who has lived in the U.S. since age 9, grabbed a bite and was waiting for a ride when a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer approached and started asking questions.

Montes was twice granted deportation protections under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program created by President Barack Obama and left intact by President Trump.

Montes had left his wallet in a friend's car, so he couldn't produce his ID or proof of his DACA status and was told by agents he couldn't retrieve them. Within three hours, he was back in Mexico, becoming the first undocumented immigrant with active DACA status deported by the Trump administration's stepped-up deportation policy.

But now the article has been taken down, because apparently this happen in February of 2017. His case was still in progress as of November, but there doesn't seem to be any information since then. DHS is claiming that they he left the country without permission and was deported after climbing the border wall to get back in, while Montes claims he only climbed the border wall because of illegal deportation.

gently caress this system either way (though Montes' account is infinitely more believable, given how cagey the government has been). Dreamers shouldn't need special permission to leave the country.

E: Apparently USA Today hasn't got the message, because their article is still up.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 22, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gyges posted:

They're just him reacting to something he saw on TV. Probably either a political commercial or he happened to flip to a channel that wasn't Fox or CNN so nobody is quite sure what he's yelling in response to.

The alternative options for motivating incidents are conversations with his lawyers, conversations with people on the phone, and magazine covers he happens to see in passing which we'll never know the name or issue of.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/968468176639004672

christ, he really is a dumber nixon.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Medullah posted:

Which is stupid, because as we all know Mueller isn't a witch - he would be considered a "Warlock" since he's male, except he's truly a Golem summoned by the Dems for a single purpose, after which he will be able to return to his slumber.

As if Trump knows that nerd poo poo

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Prester Jane posted:

There are a couple of posters who really should have this tweet set as their AV to remind them of how loving clueless they actually are about how the world actually works. There are some extremely educated and erudite people who are learning the hard way that the world they are the ones who have actually spent their lives in a shelter bubble and they're the ones who should shut the gently caress up and listen when people who know what they're talking about are speaking.

Except that they're not actually learning the hard way, because they're not suffering any consequences for their idiocy. Defenseless innocent who are having their lives destroyed are the ones who are suffering the consequences. I hope a certain few (affluent, white) computer janitors are paying attention right now, because reality is calmly dismantling there arrogant ignorance about "how bad things will never be allowed to happen".

I'm fairly certain that in the great internet battle between Evil Centrist Scum and the Wasteposter Brigade, none are innocent of harboring comfortable, white computer janitors among their number, at least on these dying comedy forums.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

Yes, truly; we need to remember that women and people of colour need to wait their loving turn and any messaging to the contrary is just unconscionable to me, a white man.

You're a rube.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Five kids seems like a lot already. If she wants more and can’t yeah that’s sad but on the other hand that’s already quite a lot.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Crow Jane posted:

As if Trump knows that nerd poo poo

Trump would like Star Trek IV.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Quorum posted:

I'm fairly certain that in the great internet battle between Evil Centrist Scum and the Wasteposter Brigade, none are innocent of harboring comfortable, white computer janitors among their number, at least on these dying comedy forums.

The minority posters who have been patiently trying to explain reality to said affluent white computer janitors however, have all been on the exact same side of this DACA issue since it became a thing. The minority posters are the ones who should have been listened to because we know how the game is actually played from direct experience) and we were brushed aside and breezly informed that we just didn't appreciate the power of :decorum: as well as the astonishing leadership capabilities of Nancy Pelosi/ Chuck Schumer.

Except that we are at the point where DACA recipients are deported within 3 hours of being picked up at a restaurant, so I think the blind faith and allegiance to Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer wasn't investment that did not pay off. (Which is exactly what all of the minority posters new would be the inevitable and result of this.)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Prester Jane posted:

There are a couple of posters who really should have this tweet set as their AV to remind them of how loving clueless they actually are about how the world actually works. There are some extremely educated and erudite people who are learning the hard way that they are the ones who have actually spent their lives in a sheltered bubble and they're the ones who should shut the gently caress up and listen when people who know what they're talking about are speaking.

Except that they're not actually learning the hard way, because they're not suffering any consequences for their idiocy. Defenseless innocents who are having their lives destroyed are the ones who are suffering the consequences. I hope a certain few (affluent, white) computer janitors are paying attention right now, because reality is calmly dismantling there arrogant ignorance about "how bad things will never be allowed to happen".

I see which choice you made between “reading the article” and “jumping on your high horse to unequivocally declare yourself the moral superior of your hated enemy, white nerds”

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

To clarify: if you think establishment Dems are reticent to pursue economic justice because they're too busy pursuing social justice, and post this on the same page as we're discussing the Dreamers being abandoned without even a word by Democrats, then you have fallen for an even more obvious con than Trump. And this liberal idea of economic issues as just a white guy issue, just another special interest that has to be balanced against all others, is poisonous.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

Five kids seems like a lot already. If she wants more and can’t yeah that’s sad but on the other hand that’s already quite a lot.

That's what Ivana's saying - no one will touch Vanessa because she has five kids and might want more. It's a horrible thing to say.

Also, the GOP tax bill will screw Jr. if he gets divorced, so that's nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobe Bryant
Nov 16, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hi.

A large part of the thinking for a Dreamer deal getting done was the assumption that Trump and the Republicans were going to operate in some small form of good faith. Not out of any sympathy for the Dreamers obviously but because they would naturally want to get what they wanted out of some deal. Which is what Dems tried to do. Let’s offer Trump funding for the wall and border security. Rejected. Ok, let’s offer him the full funding for the wall, all 25 billion, for a Dream act. Rejected. Ok let’s offer the full funding and allow some changes to the legal immigration numbers that would be bad but bearable in the short term. Rejected. Technically at one point or another Trump agreed with leading Dems on each of these proposals but then soon after each time Kelly and Miller got in his ear and shot them down. Their offer? A total gutting of all legal immigration, no path to citizenship for Dreamers, and horrific restrictions on the ones here that would see them deported if they weren’t able to walk a tightrope of requirements. An offer so bad Dreamer advocacy groups outright dismissed it as utterly unworkable. Dems unilaterally rejected it. Meanwhile Paul Ryan, as Speaker, refuses to allow anything else on to the floor.

Obviously the Republicans knew their take it or leave it offer would never get accepted but the point was to technically “make an offer” so as to try and shape the narrative that it was the Dems fault a deal wasn’t getting done. Which leaves one inescapable conclusion from this whole mess, the GOP controlled Congress working with the Trump whitehouse was never and will never pass a Dream act. The only way to change that is for the Dems to retake the House. If that occurrs they can easily pass something that would also be palatable to at least 60 votes in the Senate and then it’s on Trump whether he’ll veto it or not. He probably would but since he’s a terrible coward and now dealing with a hostile Congress he might kow to the pressure.

And the argument that the Dems didn’t message well or hard enough well, they tried. During that weekend shutdown leading Dems literally took turns on the floor making speeches directly pertaining to how DACA needed to be protected. The result was that the media didn’t care and presented the entire thing as Dem obstructionism over illegal immigrants. Internal polling immediately showed that Dems were taking a hit and post Morten polling showed that while a good majority of people support a Dream act they did NOT support shutting the government down for it. The aftermath of the shutdown and the lost messaging war almost assuredly contributed to the late January upswing for the Republicans in the polling.

Could the Dems have done better to try and win the messaging war? I mean sure maybe. But Id like to hear the suggestions because the sad reality is that most of the Democratic constituency does not care enough about the Dreamers to engage in a break with :decorum: , and the rest of the country is outright hostile to the Dems in the best of times as we saw in the media during the shutdown. Because during a shutdown millions of people take a real hit, and ultimately they care about that more than immigrants.

While this may be true, Dems haven't done a great job keeping the story in the news. DACA protection is popular with most voters. The shutdown definitely showed how much people actually care (i.e. only when it's convinient) but, once the shutdown was averted, DACA should've revisited over and over.

One big issue is that the Democratic base is less willing to accept partisan brinkmanship than Republicans'. The government shutdown over ACA during the Obama years didn't really hurt the Republicans even though there is a sizeable (15-25%) chunk of the base that actually likes the bill. The government shutdown over DACA, on the other hand, did not poll well even among Democrats. DACA advocates are in a lovely situation because the Republicans in congress, with a few exceptions, don't actually care about hurting DREAMers. There is no sense of moral obligation to act from stopping something that is almost universally viewed as bad.

Kobe Bryant fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 22, 2018

• Locked thread