Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

Monday_ posted:

No.

.280/.400/.550 probably, which is more than good enough.

I don't know, I think last year he might of hit Carlosologist 's numbers if he doesn't have that phantom shoulder injury in the second half of the season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Judge is the real deal, but I think he is always going to be plagued with hot/cold streaks just by the nature of his swing. Losing small amounts of bat speed is a huge deal for him, which is another reason to believe he is going to have a really short career. Which is very :smith:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

You know, given how it’s all shaken out so far, the Yankees have won the games they needed to; they beat up Tampa and Detroit, and are likely going to finish the sweep against Miami. The split with Toronto and the series against Boston are whatever

The only bad games so far have been against Baltimore. I think that’ll even out though.

Just waiting for Giancarlo to get going for real!!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So a lot of the talk about Drury is how he hid this whole migraine/blurred vision thing for years and how bad that is, but also he has a career 96 wRC+ which is loving insane given how he couldn't see the ball most of the time.

I mean, the whole thing is really distressing and I hope they are able to resolve the issue but seriously baseball players are physical freaks.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 17, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Monday_ posted:

No.

.280/.400/.550 probably, which is more than good enough.

That's top 25ish hitter of all time.

Carlosologist posted:

You know, given how it’s all shaken out so far, the Yankees have won the games they needed to; they beat up Tampa and Detroit, and are likely going to finish the sweep against Miami. The split with Toronto and the series against Boston are whatever

The only bad games so far have been against Baltimore. I think that’ll even out though.

Just waiting for Giancarlo to get going for real!!

One of the annoying things about last year's team was that they won a TON of blowouts and were terrible in close games. That is something that looks to be continuing this year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
When there is a 13-3 team in your division it's not advisable to give games away to a AAA team you get to play 4x this year.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 18, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Stanton is just leaving tons upon tons of people on base right now and it's tough to watch.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mikeraskol posted:

Stanton is just leaving tons upon tons of people on base right now and it's tough to watch.

Is Stanton the reason why they have given up 4 runs in 3 innings and are kicking the ball around the field against a AAA team?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Is Stanton the reason why they have given up 4 runs in 3 innings and are kicking the ball around the field against a AAA team?

You need to chill out to be honest. Didn't say it was an exclusive reason or anything other than it is brutal to watch Stanton right now, especially with Gardner and Judge getting on base in front of him so often.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

If there weren’t a second wildcard, I would have said that the Yankees probably aren’t a playoff team this year. The rotation is terrible other than Severino. The defense sucks too. Team can’t score other than via the homerun and can’t manufacture runs.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I feel like our thread title needs to be IT IS ONLY 16 GAMES INTO THE SEASON. have you guys never seen a slump before? I get that it's early and the small sample gets magnified, but drat I feel like it's really bad this year

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Yankees have 12 people on the DL right now.

It's not what you want.

Carlosologist posted:

I feel like our thread title needs to be IT IS ONLY 16 GAMES INTO THE SEASON. have you guys never seen a slump before? I get that it's early and the small sample gets magnified, but drat I feel like it's really bad this year

The bigger problem is that the Sox are 13-2. The Yankees have to start winning in bunches while the Sox can play .500 ball the rest of the way and still have 86 wins.

EDIT: Also both of my fantasy teams are making GBS threads the bed.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 18, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

The rotation was something that was a problem last year as well, though.

Tanaka pitched well in the second half but he has always been no better than a number 3 since his injury because he's not nearly consistent enough to be any better. He's the type of pitcher who either has his stuff that night or doesn't, and he doesn't have the ability to grind when he doesn't. He's either great or completely shits the bed. Gray nibbles too much and he won't attack hitters and if they don't chase at his offerings. He was so bad at the end of last year that the Yankees avoided pitching him in the playoffs, where he was essentially their #4 pitcher. He essentially replaced Michael Pineda's spot in the rotation and at this point I might prefer Pineda, since he'd at least occasionally pitch a gem. CC had a good year last year, but thinking that he'd repeat those results when he's a year older and has even worse stuff was kind of foolish. Monty is fine as a 5th starter, but he's not really more than that. He, too, suffers from excessive nibbling, but he doesn't have the same sort of stuff that Gray has, so he's really forced to try to paint corners with below average control. The problem is that pitchers #2-4 are all closer to 4 than to 2.

Infield defense was always going to be a weakness this year. Sanchez is alright behind the plate but had issues with blocking the ball. Seems to be a bit better this year at that. Drury and Andujar are below average at third. Drury has kind of a weak and inaccurate arm and Andujar has a great arm but can't field well. Austin is a butcher at first. Wade was supposed to be great at 2nd, but he can't hit or field right now (same issue with Walker). Didi is the only plus fielder on the infield. They're second in the majors in errors, tops in the AL. Can't give away free outs when your pitching staff already stinks.

I think the Yankees were first or second in terms of percentage of runs via the longball last year. That's an issue because they're easily shut down by good pitching.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 18, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Lots of the same things we saw last year though and they were a mediocre team for most of last season. Playing badly against bad teams. Playing badly in close games. Bullpen meltdowns. Inability to hit with RISP. Shoddy baserunning and defense.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm pissed watching the RISPfails and shoddy defense but mediocre teams don't win 91 games come the gently caress on.

I get that 2018 is off to a less-than-ideal start but this revisioning last season is ridiculous.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 18, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm pissed watching the RISPfails and shoddy defense but mediocre teams don't win 91 games come the gently caress on.

I get that 2018 is off to a less-than-ideal start but this revisioning last season is ridiculous.

That dude is fully out of control.

Yankees are going to be fine. I think their pitching is not as solid as I was hoping, but even if it stays around this level the team is still going to win games. The biggest issue is just that the Red Sox are really loving good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gleyber should be in the lineup tonight...

Edit: He's not. Also Andujar not playing just when he started to hit because we all have to see more of Tyler Wade....

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 19, 2018

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I'm seeing the lineup had andujar at third on RAB

JK I see torreyes at third in MLB app. Dammit

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Look at this sloppy garbage.

Nice of Gary to show up for this game.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 20, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Those Chapman heaters in the 9th looked fuckin' mean.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Inspector_666 posted:

Nice to see him come in and shut the door in a close game.

Hope Gray can come up with a good start tomorrow.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/DeeshaThosar/status/987066784133058562?s=20

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Andujar played some first in AAA this year, too. And I saw a beat guy (Kuty I think?) say he thought Torres was playing 3B right now because it's the position he's still roughest at more than it being necessarily a preview.

EDIT;

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/987147529316954112

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 20, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Best he has looked all season.

I'm not surprised that Boston has hit this well. I'm surprised that their terrible 3-5 starters are pitching like this.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 20, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Sonny Gray is not a good pitcher.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/987488453003800577

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

7.5 back ....

It's blatantly obvious that Andujar and Torres should've started the season at 3B and 2B. It's gonna be really lovely if they lose out on the division or the wild care by a game or two because of that.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 21, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/railriderstt/status/987810342259580928?s=21

Gleyber’s played the last two at second, and has had no issues. He’s coming

Wade is probably going down for him

e: https://twitter.com/jackcurryyes/status/987815673605902337?s=21

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 21, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:siren: :siren: GLEYBER COMING :siren: :siren:

https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/987818818511818752

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

That’s all well and good but it does nothing to fix the major problem of the team, which is pitching. Gleyber can OPS .900 and they’ll still miss the playoffs if they continue pitching the way they have been. Maybe they should have fired Rothschild, because the Yankees have not been able to develop or improve talent on the pitching side. Guys they acquire from other organizations also get worse.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Jordan Montgomery had the highest fWAR of any rookie pitcher in 2017 but yes the Yankees haven't developed any pitchers.

Also Luis Severino and CC's reinvention and Chad Green but yeah.

EDIT: Fire the hitting coaches too, have you seen Stanton?!?!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 22, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Jordan Montgomery had the highest fWAR of any rookie pitcher in 2017 but yes the Yankees haven't developed any pitchers.

Also Luis Severino and CC's reinvention and Chad Green but yeah.

Montgomery's trended the wrong way with his peripherals since the second half of last year, including the couple of starts this season.

Severino's 6 weeks in the offseason with Pedro were more helpful to him than his entire time with Yankees coaches. The Yankees staff let him stop using his changeup and couldn't get him to increase his confidence with the pitch. Severino went to Pedro himself and applied his suggestions with mechanics like hand placement and changeup usage. And he still has issues with tipping pitches that has persisted since last year.

Likewise, CC's reinvention also had a lot to do with a former major league pitcher - Andy Pettitte. "That's when the apprenticeship with Pettitte, who had retired after the 2013 season, truly began, Andy imparting the way that he, too, had to evolve later in his career, especially in his final two seasons. Pettitte has been working on that cutter with Sabathia ever since, and while it's still a work in progress, it has come a long way, especially last season when it helped CC post his lowest ERA since 2012." And now, after five seasons as teammates and a few more as mentor/student, Pettitte and Sabathia have such a great relationship that, as CC noted, he can "call Andy any time of night and he'll pick up and help me out." "I've learned a lot from Andy," Sabathia said. "Obviously my style of pitching now is close to where his was at the end of his career, so we have a lot to talk about, and it's a lot of fun to be able to bounce stuff off a Hall of Famer."

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 22, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Regardless of the personal culpability of Larry, the only pitching development staff I can say I would definitely want instead is Houston's, and I doubt they're available.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

No he isn't, he chases bad pitches.

Yea?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Gleyber is a bust should have traded him for Cole, etc :v:

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

What the gently caress was that call by the replay reviewer?!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm not sure what's funnier so far, Stanton not being able to hit a lick or Didi turning into Derek Jeter 2.0 with power.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm not sure what's funnier so far, Stanton not being able to hit a lick or Didi turning into Derek Jeter 2.0 with power.

Also Sir Didi can field.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Maybe Boston is finally coming back to earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mcmagic posted:

Maybe Boston is finally coming back to earth.

*gasp* you mean to tell me that Boston isn't a true talent .889 team? someone get the NYT on the line

• Locked thread