Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

mango sentinel posted:

Are these nerds from the main rulebook part of any canon Drukhari organization? If so, what's their deal?

https://i.imgur.com/OpusMnxr.jpg

They're from the painting guide, it's a named kabal but I can't remember which one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

chutche2 posted:

How should I kitbash heavy stubber cultists?

Isn't there literally a cultist with a Heavy Stubber? Butcher-apron-guy:

E: I always loved the Chaos Cultist sculpts, it's just unfortunate they never released multi-part versions (IIRC around the time Dark Vengeance released such a thing was speculated or possibly even announced but I guess the sales of the single-pose ones never justified the multi-parts, probably because everyone was waiting for the multi-parts? :doh:)

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 22, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

So I’ve got a 1500pt tournament coming up that’s using the new FAQ. I’ve got the majority of the list done, but I’m trying to decide where to put the last of my points.

Currently list is Hive Fleet Kraken with the following:
Battalion
2x Flyrant (AG, Devourers, and MRC)
3x 10x Termagant
2x Exocrine

Battalion
Flyrant (AG, Devourers, and MRC)
Malanthrope
3x 10x Termagant

This clocks in at 1439pts, leaving me 61 to play with.

Do I:
A) Add a unit of Gargoyles as a harasser/disruption unit
B) Add a Lictor as a harasser/disruption unit and spend the spare points on more gaunts
C) Bulk up the Termagant units by 15 models
D) (Write your own option here)

Termagants don't do much but screen, I've found. You're Kraken but have no Genestealers, the unit that gets the most out of Kraken's bonus? The Malanthrope giving them -1 to be shot is great for keeping them safe until they get into melee. I'd also find room for at least one unit of Rippers, because they can come down turn three and grab an objective your opponent wasn't paying attention to.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

PierreTheMime posted:

So I’ve got a 1500pt tournament coming up that’s using the new FAQ. I’ve got the majority of the list done, but I’m trying to decide where to put the last of my points.

Currently list is Hive Fleet Kraken with the following:
Battalion
2x Flyrant (AG, Devourers, and MRC)
3x 10x Termagant
2x Exocrine

Battalion
Flyrant (AG, Devourers, and MRC)
Malanthrope
3x 10x Termagant

This clocks in at 1439pts, leaving me 61 to play with.

Do I:
A) Add a unit of Gargoyles as a harasser/disruption unit
B) Add a Lictor as a harasser/disruption unit and spend the spare points on more gaunts
C) Bulk up the Termagant units by 15 models
D) (Write your own option here)

I would spend 12 points for toxin sacs on the hive tyrants. That extra damage comes more often than you think with monstrous rending claws. This also leaves you points for a lictor.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schadenboner posted:

E: I always loved the Chaos Cultist sculpts, it's just unfortunate they never released multi-part versions (IIRC around the time Dark Vengeance released such a thing was speculated or possibly even announced but I guess the sales of the single-pose ones never justified the multi-parts, probably because everyone was waiting for the multi-parts? :doh:)

multi-part cultists with options or even upgrade sprues for each Chaos god would be pretty great

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

LifeLynx posted:

Termagants don't do much but screen, I've found. You're Kraken but have no Genestealers, the unit that gets the most out of Kraken's bonus? The Malanthrope giving them -1 to be shot is great for keeping them safe until they get into melee. I'd also find room for at least one unit of Rippers, because they can come down turn three and grab an objective your opponent wasn't paying attention to.

Yeah I need to find my Rippers which are lying in a box somewhere. We just moved so it will be a while before I can dig them out.

Termagants have always performed staggeringly well for their 4pt cost. They’re a fearless fast unit armed with bolt pistols. They’re great for screens and objective captures, but can actually do a bit of damage if applied appropriately.

I love the concept of Genestealers but my current collection has a menagerie of paintjobs and versions which personally bugs be and I’d have to completely rework them and my list to fit them in.

Master Twig posted:

I would spend 12 points for toxin sacs on the hive tyrants. That extra damage comes more often than you think with monstrous rending claws. This also leaves you points for a lictor.

Not a bad option. Maybe I’ll try that out. I’d been meaning to take a Lictor or two out for a spin since they got a bit of a buff in 8th.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I think at least half of my tournament game wins with Tyranids have involved rippers doing last second objective grabs. Tiny deepstriking objective secured units with the wide array of movement shenanigans are not to be overlooked.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Schadenboner posted:

They were only released in dark vengeance and never the cultist boxes, when they do pop up on ebay it's for like $30 a model.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There's no possible way that's true.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

They were only released in dark vengeance and never the cultist boxes, when they do pop up on ebay it's for like $30 a model.

If that's the case anyone want some cultists?

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's true and it's a bitch.

The small cultist box comes with 3 autoguns and 2 pistol/weapons, and the big box is that 4 times. So you're unable to get Cultist with Heavy Stubber, Flamer, nor Shotgun unless it's second hand.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It’s not. The whole 15+ cultist set from dark vengeance cost 35+ on Ebay, not just the 1 guy

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

goodness posted:

It’s not. The whole 15+ cultist set from dark vengeance cost 35+ on Ebay, not just the 1 guy

Do you have a link?

The closest I see is 14 autogun cultists with no heavy stubber for almost $50. Or a lot with a flamer and 2 heavy stubbers for $54.

I do see someone in italy selling a 10 man squad with heavy stubber for $45 after shipping and might get that.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 22, 2018

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
that seems like an absurd amount to pay to get your hands on a model that puts out 3 s4 shots. a heavy stubber is literally just a normal machine gun, the hobby is awash with them. is converting out of the question for you?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Do you have a link?

The closest I see is 14 autogun cultists with no heavy stubber for almost $50. Or a lot with a flamer and 2 heavy stubbers for $54.

I do see someone in italy selling a 10 man squad with heavy stubber for $45 after shipping and might get that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Dark-Ve...fkAAOSwHjta1OR7
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-...74AAOSw6sRa24fX

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

I see, those are auctions not buy it now prices. I guess I could try bidding

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

that seems like an absurd amount to pay to get your hands on a model that puts out 3 s4 shots. a heavy stubber is literally just a normal machine gun, the hobby is awash with them. is converting out of the question for you?

Yeah this conversation started with me asking how to convert one

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
for 10-12 bucks you can get 6 of either bren guns or mg42s that were literally designed for use with imperial guard proxies

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Shoot me a PM with an offer. I have a set.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Thinking about getting some MDF terrain for the first time. Deathray seems super impressive so might try that first, especially for their Underhive / ZM walls. Also been thinking about trying to do up some kind of Agri World terrain. Always wanted to recreate the old Rogue Trader intro scenario, the Rynn’s World farmhouse last stand. Now that I have started up my Crimson Fists, that would be a cool table to build for them to fight on. I have been looking at various fantasy and historical terrain sets for ideas. Thinking I might be able to use something from a range like that and sci-fi / 40k it up a bit with some minor conversions. Never done an mdf set though so thinking I might grab one kit or building to test before buying a big bundle. Anyone have a recommendation for a ‘starter’ mdf kit that is still cool?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The cultists go for like $2-$3 per model on ebay, I spent like 2 months checking every few days for a better deal.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Schadenboner posted:

Considering Cultists were the workhorse of Chaos space marine armies in 7th, I doubt very much that they didn’t sell well. Also we have loads of sources for multipart Chaos humans if you want, and even more now we have Kairic Acolytes and Necromunda. I’ve got a 180 (possibly 200) of the normal kit, and honestly I think a multipart kit would have killed me. They’re so easy to put together. Like, I’d never say no to a new Chaos Kit, but multipart generic Cultists is the last thing the line needs updating. God specific ones, sure.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Milotic posted:

Considering Cultists were the workhorse of Chaos space marine armies in 7th, I doubt very much that they didn’t sell well. Also we have loads of sources for multipart Chaos humans if you want, and even more now we have Kairic Acolytes and Necromunda. I’ve got a 180 (possibly 200) of the normal kit, and honestly I think a multipart kit would have killed me. They’re so easy to put together. Like, I’d never say no to a new Chaos Kit, but multipart generic Cultists is the last thing the line needs updating. God specific ones, sure.

Gentlemen, I think we've found the guy who's selling monopose butcher aprons for 30 a pop?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Back from Tides of War in Bristol, where I had a great time.

Went 2-1 losing a close game in the final round, and met Corrode and Serotonin IRL.

Ran the following 1500 as a custom craftworld with ulthwe trait (pre-faq because they decided not to run with it as it dropped less than a week out):

Farseer (doom/guide)
Spiritseer (protect/jinx, seer of shifting vector warlord)
Warlock (quicken/restrain)
11 guadians plus grav platform (webway striking)
5 dire avengers
5 rangers
8 storm guardians (pure screening)
2x5 swooping hawks.
3 shining spears
5 dark reapers
2 wave serpents (1 cannons, 1 lances)
Crimson hunter exarch

Round 1 was against steel legion guard. 2 russes, 3 (i think) chimaeras, 1 griffon, 3 sentinels, a bunch of infantry and characters and three mortars. Underdropped him and took first turn, got my stuff up the board, killed a sentinel, some infantry and hurt a russ. Slightly underwhelming, but my attack surface was pretty low after that (as serpent shields were up, most infantry was either in vehicles, in cover, or in cover and buffed with protect), and his first round of shooting didn’t do that much to me. At that point, on turn 2, i was able to get amongst him with bully charging wave serpents, and kept him right on the back foot while i gradually mopped up his stuff over four more turns.

Round 2 was Catachan guard with 6 russes of various flavours (including a command one), infantry, characters and a squad of ratlingx. Lost the roll off with the +1, but got the seize and took first turn, and did very mean things again. Landed Jinx/Doom on the command russ and eviscerated it, badly hurt another and used quicken to get my shining spears into a second russ (clearing a bunch of screens with hawks and spear shooting). T1 for him was again just not good enough - he was down two russes worth of shooting already (one dead, one fallen back), and i rolled red hot on the ulthwe saves. The only high point for him was five ratlings improbably killing my farseer (who had also improbably lost a wound to double 6 perils t1). That wasnt enough though, and from there my wave serpents parallel parked into his Russ lines, and kept him in a chokehold until i could table him.

Round 3 was the hated custard bikes. 1 shield captain, 4 bikes with bolters, 2x3 with missiles and a callidus grav tank. He took first turn, rolled up the board and did modest damage - he wiped my shining spears (who in something of a trend for the game, completely whiffed on their invulns) and bracketed my crimson hunter, then charged and wiped my screening rangers. Good screening from me mitigated the pain, and forced him to deep strike one bike unit quite far back to avoid Forewarned from my crimson hunter. T1 I landed doom jinx on the bolter bike squad and wiped it, but lost most of my guardian squad to the custard intercept strategem as well. Hurt/killed some of the bikers from the second squad, and locked the shield captain with a wave serpent charge. At this point, i was reasonably convinced I could take the game - the only major downside being that we were playing sealed orders, and my initial hand of six was catastrophically bad (i ended up scoring 1 and discarding + strategeming away the rest over t1/2) so i was pressured to table.

His turn 2 was acceptable - about on rate, including mostly wiping the dark reapers. From my t2, a number of things went wrong in escalating succession:

* I missed landing Jinx despite a reroll from warlord trait.
* I charged a slightly damaged wave serpent in to lock some bikes, and with an exceptional roll they managed to exactly kill it.
* i needed to lock a lone bike so sent my spiritseer in to fight it. Risky, but between him being out of captain bubble, the 4++ and the FNP the odds were in my favour. I missed the distance on several other charges to make the lock a sure thing, and the seer duly failed 4/4 4++’s and got impaled.
* I needed a lone bike on 1 wound dead. A warlock smote it. He made the 6++. The farseer then failed to land a smite on 6 with a reroll (this may be the thing that smarts the most from this game).

I still eventually cleared out the bikes (a hero storm guardian finished off the bike on 1 wound with an overwatch plasma grenade) leaving only the Callidus alive, but he had an insurmountable VP lead thanks to how terrible my first hand had been, and i just didnt have the stuff left to take it off the board. Ended on T6 20Vps-11 against me.

While I felt my luck was ghastly, in hindsight i made a strategic mistake that could probably have secured the game for me if i’d done it differently - if I’d thought properly about the Custard intercept strategem, i would have deep struck the wraithguard and deployed the guardians in the wave serpent. Wraithguard are so drat slow out of a bus that only 3/5 got to shoot t1, and the way the bikes were set up mean whatever i struck in would catch 36 bolter shots. Having run the maths, (with the -1 to hit and captain rerolls) this does average ~2.5 wounds to Ulthwe wraithguard, whereas it largely dunked the guardians (5 got to shoot still, but i lost 4 to morale). The game was so close that literally 1 more wound to a bike t1 could have swung it, and if I’d made the correct choice I’d have channeled 13 more shuriken shots and 1 more wraithcannon shot to the doom/jinxed unit, which might have been enough to free up (for example) the Dark Reapers to shoot something else, and also had my guardian unit as a going concern after t1, which would have been a pain for him to deal with.

Given that, i mind the luck less - yes I was unlucky, but i could probably have won anyway with slightly better choices. A useful learning experience.

I did really enjoy the 1500 point format too - I’ve nearly exclusively played 2000pts, but the slightly smaller armies do give a distinct feel to it.

BIG is also an excellent shop (I envy having a store that good in town) and the event was well run. Booked for Corrode’s event in August at the same venue, A++ would recommend.

One_Wing fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 22, 2018

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

For people knowledgeable in Daemons, how are Seekers of Slaanesh vs Hellflayers? They are both fast attack cavalry options and both kinda mostly want to do the same thing (charge and get stuck in). Would you weigh one of the two over the other one in terms of usefulness?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Quick trip report from Tides of War today, the store event that I, One_Wing and Serotonin played in. I'll let them talk about how they got on, but great to have a mini-goonmeet here and One_Wing lovely to meet you.

Event rules are 1500pts, Maelstrom, no named characters. I was playing the Dark Eldar list I've posted a couple of times, with a minor change to get a shredder in there and get proper blasters on the two Flayed Skull Archons instead of blast pistols.

Somewhat ironically I think my games got easier as the day went on rather than harder.

Game 1 was vs. Custodes, all Forge World models in a great gold and candy-red scheme reminiscent of Booley's Blood Angels. The mission was Race to Victory. He had a Shield-Captain on bike with hurricane bolter, 3 bikes with hurricane bolters, 3 with salvo launchers, the Calidus grav-tank thing, the Custodes dreadnought (Exemplar or Excelsior something?) and then 30 Guard + 2 Company Commanders. On paper this was a relatively straightforward game for me, and when I went first and took the grav-tank and a bike off immediately it seemed like that was the way it was going to go. He had a strong first turn where his Dread dropped and killed a Raider in melee, and he put some wounds on Ravagers, but going into turn 2 I thought that with all the darklight and splinter fire I was going to go in for the kill. Instead I did nowhere near enough thanks to some poor rolling on my part and some great saves on his, and then it became a war of attrition which ended up with him having a single 3-wound Shield-captain sitting on a building taking shot after shot from my badly degraded army. The final roll of the game was my last dark lance getting through the 3++ and rolling exactly 3 wounds, after he'd rolled 3 1s on his armour and 3 6s to FNP it away from splinters beforehand. Very tense game which came down to getting the table for me - we realised that he was 2 cards away from getting to 10 and he could very well have ended the game on that except for getting a poor draw right when he needed a couple of easy cards.

Game 2 I played Imperial Guard in Tactical Escalation. He had tons of dudes on the table, lots of basic bodies, lots of las/plas squads, some heavy weapons squads, Commanders everywhere spamming orders and three plasma Russes. This is not a match-up I wanted because there's a good chance the sheer number of bodies will be hard to get through. Luckily I went first and the first thing that happened was a Ravager dropping, hitting a Russ 3 times, wounding it 3 times, and doing 12 wounds exactly. The game kind of went like that - I had some great runs making the 5++ on vehicles and he had some awful luck with getting lascannons on target even with Cadian re-rolls everywhere. I thought I'd really hosed up on turn 2, when I'd set up my Venoms to charge and tie up his whole left flank and then forgot to charge the bloody things, but he immediately forgot to pop the Cadian relic next turn and then had one of the worst shooting phases I've ever seen. I think he could have made it harder for me, but the guy is one of our younger regulars at the shop and he's still learning stuff. Solid player though who'll be a bit of a monster I think.

Game 3 couldn't have been better from my perspective. I played the same Marine player that I beat in an absolute whitewash on Tuesday. He'd changed his list after that and it had clearly done well since he'd won 2 games, but if anything it was even worse against me - two Stormravens, Assault Terminators and a Chaplain in one, a Terminator Captain and Ironclad in the other, and then 3 Scout squads. The mission was Sealed Orders, which is always a bit odd with Maelstrom since you don't know exactly why your opponent is doing things. He went first and split fire, leaving two Raiders on a wound each, which I think was a big mistake and he immediately regretted doing it. My turn 1 wasn't fantastic, I killed one Raven, the sniper Scouts sat on top of a massive piece of terrain made from a ton of Bastions, and then 3 other Scouts. I also killed two of my own Raiders thanks to exploding the Stormraven. Turn 2 I took out the other Raven, two Terminators tripped and fell on the way out, and then I basically just deleted the rest of his stuff. We ended up with me playing keepaway with the Ravagers and my warlord while his lone Terminator Captain tried vainly to chase it.

Three really good games for the Dark Eldar even if I felt bad for my opponent in game 3 (who is my partner for a doubles event in June too - not exactly team-building!) I think the book is really solid, and it surprised me how well it performed against the Guard list which I felt could cause me some real trouble by sheer weight of numbers. I was fortunate to go 1st I think and have all my firepower available to reduce what was coming the other way.

Hopefully the other guys had equally enjoyable days out and will be along to the summer event - if anyone else in the UK is looking for a fun, relaxed tournament with some competitive armies but a good atmosphere, you can't do much better for a one-dayer in my opinion.

e: ha as I'm writing One_Wing posts. Good report dude. That last game was a rough one for you, Duncan's a good player and that list is pretty brutal although the Eldar can take away a lot of its power. Agree about BIG, Bristol's had a dicey history with shops opening and closing pretty quickly whereas BIG has stuck around for 3+ years now and keeps getting better.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 22, 2018

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

One_Wing posted:

Back from Tides of War in Bristol, where I had a great time.

BIG is also an excellent shop (I envy having a store that good in town) and the event was well run. Booked for Corrode’s event in August at the same venue, A++ would recommend.

Glad you enjoyed it. It’s a great store, we are very lucky. It was really nice to meet One Wing and catch up with Corrode again

I really enjoyed my first40k tournament. I went 1-2 taking a fluffy World Eaters list which was mainly what I had painted rather than for any competitive advantage.

Basically two lots of Berserkers in Rhinos, Dark Apostle, Demon Prince with Wings, unit of chaos marines, defiler, decimator with soul burners, blood slaughterer and hellbrute.

Game 1 was against all infantry Raven Guard list. We misunderstood the rule pack and rolled for deployment rather than just using the basic long edge to long edge deployment. We got short edge to short edge which was a disaster for my list, but despite that we slogged out 7 rounds to what we at first thought was a draw.we then realised we hadn’t counted first blood so I lost 11-10. Close fun game which saw my Decimator live up to its name.
If we had played the deployment correctly I think I could have won it.

Game 2 was a Custodes bike list with Imperial Guard that Corrode had beaten round one. Sadly I had no such result, being utterly battered every which way. He rightly went for my Decimator and Bloodslaughterer turn one, killing both, and I just couldn’t get through his invulnerable saves after that. Highlight was my Defiler exploding and killing his Shield Captain.

Game 3 was against an unusual Emperors Children list that was mainly bikes and had no Nouse Marines. I utterly annihilated them, turn 1 alone saw me kill a hellbrute, ten man chaos marine unit, and a bike unit just from my shooting. I tabled him in turn 3. Defiler was MVP that game, killing about 14 marines, a rhino and a chaos sorcerer in terminator armour.

Fun day, a bit knackered and glad I didn’t totally disgrace myself

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 22, 2018

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
efb

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Game reports without pictures are extremely rude.

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015
From my personal experience, heavy stubbers are amazing workhorse units. You just sit them on an objective somewhere and they'll occasionally spit out a wound or two while your opponent ignores them in favor of everything else in your army. Incredibly efficient, and satisfying.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Corrode posted:

Quick trip report from Tides of War today, the store event that I, One_Wing and Serotonin played in. I'll let them talk about how they got on, but great to have a mini-goonmeet here and One_Wing lovely to meet you.

Event rules are 1500pts, Maelstrom, no named characters. I was playing the Dark Eldar list I've posted a couple of times, with a minor change to get a shredder in there and get proper blasters on the two Flayed Skull Archons instead of blast pistols.

:words:

Nice! Glad you had a good run!

What is the expected life span of the index? Will it be banned when every army has their own codex?

The cheapest Archon with a splinter pistol and venom blade at 72 points provides much less utility per point than the same Archon with an index'd blaster at 89 points.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Tanks are real cool and all but holy gently caress God drat are they tedious to paint.

I worked on a predator for like 6 hours today and barely made any progress

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
#ReasonsToBuyAnAirbrush

1. Priming
2. Tanks
3. Errything else

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I actually did do all the initial shading and base coating with an airbrush.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I wish I had the money and space for an airbrush but sadly I don't. But at the same time I just prefer painting infantry sized or slightly larger models which means I can settle for some large brushes instead.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Thanks for all the help on that Drukhari army guys, I'm on the hunt for a cheap copy of Raiders of Commoragh.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

dexefiend posted:

#ReasonsToBuyAnAirbrush

1. Priming
2. Tanks
3. Errything else

Whats the best deal and is it a pain in the rear end to clean/switch colors

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Switching colours isn't much hassle, you just flush the brush clear. Cleaning and maintaining an airbrush has a bit of a learning curve to it however. Not terrible, just lots of things you learn by doing.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I picked up a couple Drukhari sets last weekend. The last time I tried painting figures was some Tau in 2005, and it was a trainwreck. This time I learned to buy way more paints, lower my expectations, water down my paints, and to drybrush. I'm happy with how they came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

I've found my local GW store's escalation league every month really motivates me to paint [250 points in the two days before league day]

I burned out on the one I was in, but they were doing 500 point increases and battles every week. I'm nowhere near fast enough to paint at that rate.

Unironically, probably. 'Trashed a bunch of sculptures I've been working on for 20+ years and have thousands of bucks in to gently caress with me' is a pretty good thing to bring up in divorce proceedings.