Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sab669 posted:

Tough to read anything about this game without spoilers... How is it? Worth $60? All the changes to the game good or at least not bad?

Extremely, extremely good and like 40+ hours long so well worth the price compared to most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's not that I need it spelled out or anything, it's just Kratos feels really detached right now. He gets mad at protective but he never seems to be all that involved when he's actually interacting with him I guess. I never said I'd write it off completely or that there's no chance at all for him to grow on me but when the relationship is as murky as it is right now then I'm just left feeling kind of lukewarm.

I've seen comparisons to TLoU so going to use that, but it made a bit more sense there. Joel and Ellie had no idea about each other before they met and Joel starts off somewhat detached because he doesn't really know this kid at all. I really enjoyed seeing them bond and come together in that game because, while yes video game pacing aside, it felt kind of organic.
Kratos and his son, at the point I'm at now with the very little knowledge I have of the situation, feels like a Joel and Ellie situation at the start but it's just weird to me because they're supposed to be blood relatives that have been living together for years.

If it gets better then I'll welcome it and hell in retrospect be like "yeah alright it's fine" but right now? I'm just eh on a video game character.

I think this is completely fair tbh, different things resonate with different people. But if their distance and Kratos' coldness is an issue for you, I'm pretty early on into the game and it's already starting to thaw, and Kratos opens up a bit more and I'm imagining will moreso as the game goes on. From what I understand he lived with BOY and his mother but was a distant father who went off on his own a lot, or otherwise didn't really hang out with BOY when he was home.

Have you been reading the journal entries? I cracked them open for the first time last night and they're all written in perspective from BOY and some of them have good little character moments for him in them.

e:

Sab669 posted:

Tough to read anything about this game without spoilers... How is it? Worth $60? All the changes to the game good or at least not bad?

I spent a dreaded like 90 dollars CDN for it, breaking my usual launch day rule, and so far it has been very worth it. So worth it that I dropped close to another 90 dollars on a new controller b/c my current one has weird issues with the game (and is probably just dying from too much carball tbf).

If you dig story based games w/ a kind of open world vibe with stuff to explore/collect and some sidequests, and 3rd person action combat then I'd say pick it up if you're interested. If you're a fan of the old God of War games I think it more than does right by them and builds off them well.

I'm at a point where I'm torn between doing side stuff and just continuing the story, they're both really fun. In terms of sheer dollar value this game sounds like it has a lot of poo poo to occupy one's time with during and after the main story is done.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 22, 2018

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I just finished Elfheim and ATM I like BOY much more than Kratos. I hope their relationship changes over the course of the game because the whole "I cant express emotions" thing feels overplayed already and there are still like 20 hours of playing. Also BOY is already extremely competent and wrecks poo poo. LMAO I in fact hope his final abilities will be like ridiculously more powerful than what Kratos has.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I kind of love Kratos' idea of mourning right now just being to showing not a whole lot of emotion, least of all empathy for his also mourning son. Last time he mourned over a dead wife things got a little um hectic.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just fought a boss level Revenant using only the square button.

UPGRADE YA BOY.

Sab669 posted:

Literally the only bad thing about it is the text is tiny if you have a 4K TV.

Otherwise it owns hard.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man the game’s really telegraphing what I assume will be a boss fight climax’s with Bowki’s quiver and the mistletoe

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just fought a boss level Revenant using only the square button.

UPGRADE YA BOY.

Literally the only bad thing about it is the text is tiny if you have a 4K TV.

Otherwise it owns hard.

And you can adjust the text after last night's patch, so that's not even an issue any more afaik unless it's still crap for 4K users.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

esperterra posted:

And you can adjust the text after last night's patch, so that's not even an issue any more afaik unless it's still crap for 4K users.

Hot drat I just got the game and this is one of my big pet peeves. I don't even have a 4k but I basically stand in front of the TV most of the time as it's mounted on a wall pretty far from. The couch and I can't read the text.

Where is the menu for text size?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

esperterra posted:

I kind of love Kratos' idea of mourning right now just being to showing not a whole lot of emotion, least of all empathy for his also mourning son. Last time he mourned over a dead wife things got a little um hectic.

The game really expands on this at some point during the Alfhiem sequence. I don’t recall the exact exchange but Kratos does try to explain why he’s so quiet.

Hell, him not willing to let Atreus carry the ashes whenever he asks is another tell he’s grieving in his own way.

Edit: Here we all are discussing emotional moments in a GOW game. Way to go 2018.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nail Rat posted:

Hot drat I just got the game and this is one of my big pet peeves. I don't even have a 4k but I basically stand in front of the TV most of the time as it's mounted on a wall pretty far from. The couch and I can't read the text.

Accessibility I believe.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nail Rat posted:

Should be under Accessibility, I think.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just fought my first Valkyrie in extremely epic fashion. Got her down on my first try, a sliver of my own health landing perfect shield parries to seal the deal. Really glad I stuck with Challenging because now my combination of skills + gear is owning.

I am consistently amazed by the quality of level design. Even what you think are going to be little side areas have tons of secret rooms and treasures, or lead into some meaningful character development between Kratos and BOY. When they said GoW was going to be a 30-35 hour game I think they were being a bit too conservative, I can easily see it taking 50+ to clear out everything.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Okay, I highly recommend everyone go to (minor spoiler) muspelheim asap. It is great, especially for the goon looking for combat stuff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NNick posted:

Okay, I highly recommend everyone go to (minor spoiler) muspelheim asap. It is great, especially for the goon looking for combat stuff.

Oh dang I guess I should find my way there. Is it available from the hub or does it unlock through the story?

exquisite tea posted:

Just fought my first Valkyrie in extremely epic fashion. Got her down on my first try, a sliver of my own health landing perfect shield parries to seal the deal. Really glad I stuck with Challenging because now my combination of skills + gear is owning.

I am consistently amazed by the quality of level design. Even what you think are going to be little side areas have tons of secret rooms and treasures, or lead into some meaningful character development between Kratos and BOY. When they said GoW was going to be a 30-35 hour game I think they were being a bit too conservative, I can easily see it taking 50+ to clear out everything.

GoW is literally the game people want when they talk about wanting an open world game where there’s no fluff and everything ties into the main story. Nothing feels out of place or pointless.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I found a talisman that lets me activate Witch Time GOTY.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
this game looks really loving good, i wasnt a huge fan of earlier god of war combat but this one looks great, reminds me of a grittier darksiders

is that an accurate assessment, because if it is im immediatley buying it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Thumbtacks posted:

this game looks really loving good, i wasnt a huge fan of earlier god of war combat but this one looks great, reminds me of a grittier darksiders

is that an accurate assessment, because if it is im immediatley buying it

That's exactly how Jeff Gerstmann described why he likes it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Also to any newcomers despite being a mass market AAA gigundo seller this game does not gently caress around with difficulty, hard is hard.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

exquisite tea posted:

Also to any newcomers despite being a mass market AAA gigundo seller this game does not gently caress around with difficulty, hard is hard.

Hell even Normal has some difficulty, depending on what you're doing. Probably going to bump it up to Hard soon tho, I started off with it but jumped down to Normal after murking out to that first troll dude a few times too many for how early I was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kilometers Davis posted:

GoW is literally the game people want when they talk about wanting an open world game where there’s no fluff and everything ties into the main story. Nothing feels out of place or pointless.

I love how Kratos explains AAA game mechanics to BOY.

"But you go do stuff that isn't important all the time!"
"Everything we find improves our ability to murder. It is not pointless. Now decipher those runes so I can get on that ledge and find some literal garbage."

Also, the last few hours I God of Warred last night was entirely in Alfheim. I was stoned and getting sleep deprived and it just kept going on and on and I still don't know if I'm anywhere near the end. Holy poo poo it's a long, gorgeous area. The eerie abandoned nature of it while everything still looks pristine gives me major Dark Souls vibes.

Also thanks to the goon who speculated that Atreus is actually Loki because now I can't get that theory out of my drat brain :mad:

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

esperterra posted:

I found a talisman that lets me activate Witch Time GOTY.

I found an epic talisman earlier. It has enchantment slots. Also, it’s an aoe defense aura that makes me a one man “Hold the Line!!” while it lasts.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I cant wait to buy this for $20 in a few months

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

I love how Kratos explains AAA game mechanics to BOY.

"But you go do stuff that isn't important all the time!"
"Everything we find improves our ability to murder. It is not pointless. Now decipher those runes so I can get on that ledge and find some literal garbage."

Also, the last few hours I God of Warred last night was entirely in Alfheim. I was stoned and getting sleep deprived and it just kept going on and on and I still don't know if I'm anywhere near the end. Holy poo poo it's a long, gorgeous area. The eerie abandoned nature of it while everything still looks pristine gives me major Dark Souls vibes.

Also thanks to the goon who speculated that Atreus is actually Loki because now I can't get that theory out of my drat brain :mad:

Alfheim is gooooorgeous. That's the exact moment I became torn between exploration and wanting to push the story forward. I ended up going back to Midgard and doing some sidequests for the dwarves lmao.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh dang I guess I should find my way there. Is it available from the hub or does it unlock through the story?

You get there through the hub. I am not sure when it unlocks but I went exploring after the (minor mid game spoiler serpent moves the hub thing for you .

I would go to the hub and see if it is open. If not, you likely aren’t far away.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also I really dig the Lost Items tab in the store, which afaik just stores equipment that dropped off enemies and you forgot to pick up or missed?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Wolves are assholes.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

esperterra posted:

That's exactly how Jeff Gerstmann described why he likes it.

gently caress yes

exquisite tea posted:

double gently caress yes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

esperterra posted:

Wolves are assholes.

I must have died at least ten times in a row to that loving wolf cave in Fafnir's treasure room, especially since I went there super early in the story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

Alfheim is gooooorgeous. That's the exact moment I became torn between exploration and wanting to push the story forward. I ended up going back to Midgard and doing some sidequests for the dwarves lmao.

People keep mentioning dorf quests but every time I talk to them they just shoot the poo poo and don't give me a quest

God drat it's weird having a AAA game where I feel like I'm constantly missing things and not having a map that is helpful in any way at all if you're inside somewhere.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

exquisite tea posted:

I must have died at least ten times in a row to that loving wolf cave in Fafnir's treasure room, especially since I went there super early in the story.

Yep, that was me just now. I managed it by spamming BOY and his fighting wolf with wolf but lol, once you focus down the purple one like 6 jump on your rear end.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

People keep mentioning dorf quests but every time I talk to them they just shoot the poo poo and don't give me a quest

God drat it's weird having a AAA game where I feel like I'm constantly missing things and not having a map that is helpful in any way at all if you're inside somewhere.

Weird, as soon as I went back to Midgard after Alfheim I got quests from both of them as I passed their shops.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
can i make kratos wear armor and have it actually show or is it mainly for stats and poo poo

im assuming he can wear stuff because its 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

Haha that quest kicked my poo poo in. I’m on normal and had to restart at least 10 times while fighting the Revenants.

Thumbtacks posted:

can i make kratos wear armor and have it actually show or is it mainly for stats and poo poo

Everything has cosmetic changes. The armor pieces you get, every time you upgrade your weapons, etc.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

So far I've seen 2 types of armor, one is kinda like a 1-tit bra and the other is like a shirt.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Huge spoiler for everyone saying Kratos is emotionally retarded and it's ruining the game for them but last time he loved a wife and child in the originals he proceeded to cause the apocalypse.

Game owns so much. I am in Tyr's Vault right now and I'm excited to see what the resolutions are to all the cool stuff happening while I monster mash my way to a mountain.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sekenr posted:

So far I've seen 2 types of armor, one is kinda like a 1-tit bra and the other is like a shirt.

I'm wearing the Traveler set right now and I look like some rando clown who's about to get his rear end kicked in Dark Souls.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sekenr posted:

I found a third type in a chest that's like a weird sort of spandex shoulder guard :confused:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also, super early on, did anyone else catch Kratos about to say they were on a quest to carry her ashes to Mt Olympus? BOY cuts him off partway through Olympus.

Been stuck at the back of my mind all game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Retro42 posted:

The game really expands on this at some point during the Alfhiem sequence. I don’t recall the exact exchange but Kratos does try to explain why he’s so quiet.

He says something like "don't confuse my silence for a lack of grief BOY"

esperterra posted:

Also, super early on, did anyone else catch Kratos about to say they were on a quest to carry her ashes to Mt Olympus? BOY cuts him off partway through Olympus.

Been stuck at the back of my mind all game.

Didn't catch this but that's cool and I've enjoyed many similar moments to this so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh my god Atreus you are BEST BOY

"You know a lot about war, huh Father?"
"...yes."