Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Mission based events are so much more fun than the grind events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Single ticket summons are loving dramatic when you get something good. Thought I might be lucky enough to NP2 HFH, until that card flickered gold and Kiritsugu popped out.

I ticketed Arjuna when I threw a couple at the medb banner. Also got NP3 Lancelot during Jalter singles.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Just finished act 13 and oh my god, poor waver.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

:greencube:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

brainwrinkle posted:

Mission based events are so much more fun than the grind events

Yeah, it just feels more...doable, I guess.
Probably since it's broken up into chunks, so it doesn't feel as grindy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This one is better about it since the best nodes for loads of [enemy type] are easier to discern and aren't arbitrarily limited like loving corpses, but enemy grinding could get bad too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So...when do we get an Illya servant? I've got the whole drat Emiya family currently, save for her.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Shinjobi posted:

So...when do we get an Illya servant? I've got the whole drat Emiya family currently, save for her.
During the Prisma Illya event probably late this summer. 5* Caster you can roll for while Kuro is the 4* Archer you get as a welfare.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shinjobi posted:

Septemberish.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

the_steve posted:

Yeah, it just feels more...doable, I guess.
Probably since it's broken up into chunks, so it doesn't feel as grindy.

The format might have something to do with it, but I think the biggest difference is that KnK and FZO are just much less demanding in pure numbers terms. They can both be completely cleared pretty easily with natural AP and no gacha CEs, which can't be said for any of the other events.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Shinjobi posted:

Prismatic magical girl Illya is this year though I don't remember exactly when.

E:beaten

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

The format might have something to do with it, but I think the biggest difference is that KnK and FZO are just much less demanding in pure numbers terms. They can both be completely cleared pretty easily with natural AP and no gacha CEs, which can't be said for any of the other events.

I think they're intentionally tuned down a bit since collab events like this tend to be an interest draw.

e:
also another CM-Event accuracy test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff52-g00L-Y

Well, old waver and kayneth meeting happens, emiya assassin exists, and the Darius quest exists :v: more seriously, this is more of a "spirit in 15s over super literal" compared to KnK's giving a very different impression of who and what'll happen in the event, Gil not jobbing notwithstanding.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 22, 2018

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
But I don't want to farm 40 more Homunculi. :(

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
My FGO career is single rolling SSRs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

taiga isn't in the game yet, so no, you don't. :colbert:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/RookieBalboa_/status/987478233049452546

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

NRVNQSR posted:

I think all events should be tuned like this, but whatever makes people roll the gacha wins I guess.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The whole game should be like this imo :)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mason Dixon posted:

The only two things involving Urobuchi I've seen are Madoka (absolutely loved it) and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (meh). Is F/Zero still something I should leave on my queue to watch someday?

I'm also finding the guide somewhat inaccurate for a walkthrough.

Fate/Zero is okay, it's just that basically one character in the entire show is likeable, and basically none of the major characters are allowed to have meaningful character growth because their fates are already set by F/Z being a prequel. It's basically just twenty-ish idiots blundering around moronically and having cool action scenes and rad fights for twenty-ish episodes (mixed with a bunch of utterly senseless and pointless bloodshed just for the hell of it), and then having a series of rapid-fire catastrophes and tragedies kill off most of the cast and near-instantly transform everyone that's left into their F/SN versions. That's not entirely Urobuchi's fault, and considering where pretty much all of the F/Z survivors end up in F/SN it's hard to say that he was a genuinely bad pick for it, but there's plenty to criticize about how it turned out, such as emotionless perfect supersoldier Kiritsugu who's a better Assassin than the actual Assassin is and whose every gun and special bullet is described in agonizing detail.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Another thing I really like about this event: You aren't at the mercy of RNGesus when it comes to getting your fifth copy of the Event CE.

I'm still pissed that I couldn't MLB my Halloween Princess from last year because the last one refused to drop for me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I got it and it wasn't really worth it. It's a nice CE among other nice ones, but there are nigh-identical ones that are way less painful to nab.

e: like the onigashima CE MLBs without drops and trades 5% of boost for applying to all cards.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 23, 2018

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Last Berserker fight starts with "Zouken used a command spell".

It really wasn't Lostbelt that implemented master vs master fights

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Motto posted:

I got it and it wasn't really worth it. It's a nice CE among other nice ones, but there are nigh-identical ones that are way less painful to nab.

e: like the onigashima CE MLBs without drops and trades 5% of boost for applying to all cards.

It's the principal of the matter :argh:
I like Halloween stuff, and MLB'ing it was like the one thing I didn't manage to do during that event.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Jesus Christ, Edison's NP is weak. I'm farming the assassin node and NP1 only does 18k.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Fate/Zero is okay, it's just that basically one character in the entire show is likeable, and basically none of the major characters are allowed to have meaningful character growth because their fates are already set by F/Z being a prequel. It's basically just twenty-ish idiots blundering around moronically and having cool action scenes and rad fights for twenty-ish episodes (mixed with a bunch of utterly senseless and pointless bloodshed just for the hell of it), and then having a series of rapid-fire catastrophes and tragedies kill off most of the cast and near-instantly transform everyone that's left into their F/SN versions. That's not entirely Urobuchi's fault, and considering where pretty much all of the F/Z survivors end up in F/SN it's hard to say that he was a genuinely bad pick for it, but there's plenty to criticize about how it turned out, such as emotionless perfect supersoldier Kiritsugu who's a better Assassin than the actual Assassin is and whose every gun and special bullet is described in agonizing detail.

I haven't watched any Urobuchi stuff in the last few years since he started working on Rider and puppets, so I guess I missed the boat on when everyone decided he was bad now. I honestly really enjoy Zero. It's not perfect, but I think it's better than at least 80% of Stay Night and almost all of FGO's story.

It's absolutely meaningful character growth for Saber, even if a lot of it is just everyone else dunking on her. It bridges the gap between her being a cold-hearted king who is perfect in every way except for not being able to effectively communicate with her people, and her in Stay Night, where she's effectively suicidal, believing that it would be better for her to not have become King at all. The end of the series is essentially the moment she truly looks at her actions and realizes her own shortcomings.

Kiritsugu's philosophy is misguided, but that's kind of the point? It's old territory that was well trodden in Stay Night. He's mostly only a vehicle for Urobuchi to nerd out about cool guns and such, but I kind of think that's okay in terms of separating the work in tone from Stay Night, where it was a bunch of kids playing around after school. I do think his character arc in Zero works well enough for setting up what we see of him in Stay Night from Shirou's perspective: a broken husk of a man who was moved to tears that he was able to save at least one person, and his final reveal of having wanted to become a hero.

It also provides a much better characterization of Gilgamesh. He wasn't really much more than a generic misogynistic sociopath rear end in a top hat in Stay Night, but Zero also offered a much deeper and more nuanced glimpse of him through his interactions with Iskander and Kirei. I'd say it's this portrayal of him that stuck in the long run and affected later interpretations like Strange Fake and the Babylonia chapter of FGO.

The new characters were mostly good, too. Kariya looked like a great guy who was going to save Sakura years before Shirou had a chance, but was eventually revealed to just be doing it out of his own desires and self-satisfaction. Gilles and Ryuunosuke were kind of contrived, but were effective villains and had an interesting take on faith. Iskander is probably one of my favorite characters in this whole dumb franchise, and Waver's a fan favorite who got his own book series. Even boring old Tokiomi got a chance to clarify why he sent Sakura to the Matous. The only really boring and dumb characters are the Lancer camp, and that's kind of why they're there.

I'll admit that I thought it worked a lot better in print than animated. IIRC the novel also included more than a few details that didn't make it into the anime that helped deepen the tragic parts of FSN- stuff like post-zero Kiritsugu's actions: how he repeatedly unsuccesfully tried to make it to the Einzbern estate but was hated by Ilya for never coming back, or how he rigged the ley line to cause an earthquake in 20 years and collapse the cavern with the great grail, not knowing that there would be another war ten years later.

There were also moments that worked a lot better in Japanese that didn't come through in translation. I know Japanese fans go nuts for the last moments of the Gilgamesh/Iskander fight where Gil, who always talks down to people, suddenly switches the form of "you" that he refers to Iskander with to one that is much more respectful.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

quote:

I honestly really enjoy Zero. It's not perfect, but I think it's better than at least 80% of Stay Night and almost all of FGO's story.

nah

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh huh. (ACT-18 spoils) Dunno how I really expected them to justify it, and she immediately manifests into a servant anyway, but you really do just timejack an AU Iri back home, huh?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Zero's definitely not as good as FSN but it absolutely is better then a lot of GO's plotlines.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

are we talking about the first few singularities cuz lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Different points of view and opinions are cool (unless it's a weird negative obsession with a character)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yeah...different opinions...

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I disagree about comparing Zero to GO's plotlines because they set out to do completely different things and are different by design. Zero may seem better because it's a tighter contained story with a definite beginning and end, GO's charm to me is that it was super rough at the beginning, but the story and writing became bolder and more substantial with the medium it's in. It's unique in terms of us, the players, are part of the story and in a way, we all experience it differently depending on our gameplay preferences and the Servants we like the most.

So what I'm saying is:

Zero: An enjoyable story where everyone is miserable.
FGO: Story that is rough, but becomes more enjoyable. We are the ones that suffer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Septem

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Tae posted:

Septem

Most of Zero

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
FGO's writing early on, especially with the really bad translation, is not great. Basically everything starting at part 1.5 is engaging enough that it's the primary thing that keeps me interested, as opposed to just wanting to while away hours from cradle to grave with filler.

A bunch of the events are fun, too, writing wise.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

tfw camelot-babylon-solomon aren't engaging

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

came a lot
baby lawn
solo man

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

i can't imagine how broken in the brain someone would need to be to think anything in Zero is even close to the sheer trash that is Septem and Nero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

You're right, OP, it's a sign of a sickening mental illness that is worthy of mockery.