Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Bold Robot posted:

That is a lot of political points. Not sure how much stuff costs for Japan but you could buy like 4 US divisions for that.

It's enough for Japan to buy 4 US divisions, oddly enough.

But delivery isn't included, you'd have to recover them off the ocean floor yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The invasion of Truk continues to go well for the allies.

It's hard to land troops from burning ships.

LCI's are fragile little things.

This is standard miss warship, get battered approach.

The first flight off the Kido Butai loses a plane, but confirms the fortress has sunk two ships. Another run confirms a third sunk

They managed to get more troops ashore, but nowhere near enough to save them.

It looks like their carrier is making the run home. I will not give chase to where they have land based planes as well.

I switch to shock attacks to speed things up.

A good day! Look at those low, low air losses!

No reports on our sunk ships off Truk for some reason. Those ships may not be worth much, but they represent lost resources.

Some wounded ships are heading back for proper repairs.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

20 April 1944

USS Lansdale, a Benson-class destroyer, torpedoed by German aircraft east of Algiers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Leperflesh posted:

So, Grey, what can you do with 11,700 political points?

man, if only "political capital" worked the same way

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Leperflesh posted:

So, Grey, what can you do with 11,700 political points?

If you save up 100,000, you get to convince SCAP to let the Showa Emperor retain his divinity.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Why do Hyuga have a capacity of 22? I assume it's aircraft capacity.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Dunno-Lars posted:

Why do Hyuga have a capacity of 22? I assume it's aircraft capacity.

Because it was refitted to battlecarrier, giving up the stern guns. The refit is usually deemed not worth it, so I assume Grey didn't notice it had refit set to yes.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm hoping the carriers get too close to a shore battery and get blown to hell. It's about the only thing we haven't seen yet.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

McNally posted:

I'm hoping the carriers get too close to a shore battery and get blown to hell. It's about the only thing we haven't seen yet.

The gunners at Turk wiping an entire carrier TF would be the most glorious thing

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

McNally posted:

It's all fun and games until a Lexington class that never took the 8" turrets off shows up

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Generation Internet posted:

It's all fun and games until a Lexington class that never took the 8" turrets off shows up

If the internet had been around in the twenties when the two Lexington's were being converted, the Military History thread would be AWASH in argument about how compromised and dumb the 8" installation is. It would have been TD doctrine all over again.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We start by torpedoing a good sized transport.

With the enemy carriers gone, I sally my destroyers and patrol boats – we take damage, but sink an enemy destroyer.

This is actually a good showing against Spits.

We get a good sized strike on target and sink some ships. Empty, but at least they are sunk!

We're taking casualties evicting the Americans, but it's something we have to do.

The enemy are collapsing fast.

Another good day, and my carriers are getting some experience!

A couple of destroyers is always good to report home.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
What's the biggest victory/battle been in this campaign so far? If someone has a link I'd like to see it. I suppose that is subjective.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Those are modern destroyers too, every one of those that you sink is a small but useful dent in the Allies' ability to kill your subs.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Japan really has no good way of handling tanks, uh?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

What's the biggest victory/battle been in this campaign so far? If someone has a link I'd like to see it. I suppose that is subjective.

Yamato and Musashi vs. Iowa.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

MrYenko posted:

If the internet had been around in the twenties when the two Lexington's were being converted, the Military History thread would be AWASH in argument about how compromised and dumb the 8" installation is. It would have been TD doctrine all over again.

Pre-refit Akagi vs. pre-refit Lexington, who would win?

Comedy option Graf Zeppelin with casemate guns

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

vyelkin posted:

Yamato and Musashi vs. Iowa.

I was following when that happened, I've been on and off for a while. Any big carrier fights or has it been mostly BB slugfests

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

so back in december i made the below post and noticed this response and felt bad because i didn't have a link:

kibaces posted:

oystertoadfish posted:

as far as taking chungking, there was some guy on the official forums who managed it. i think he actually took the entirety of China; I think I remember him getting oil from urumqi. somebody over there definitely made the jet planes too, I forget if it was him or not. I want to say that the above game had some strategy featuring ahistorically advanced prop planes that worked pretty well

I also think this dude was the one who somehow understood how to manipulate the supply mechanics to get maximum throughput overland with a short hop from Korea so he could stockpile a poo poo ton on the home islands starting very early. I think he was playing a human even?

and to top it all off he actually had near-SA quality screenshots and explanations, which is a rarity over there

but I don't remember the link - something at matrix games.com, maybe. several cool AARs, after action reports I believe they call them, have been linked before in threads about this game, that's the only reason I know about them, so hopefully somebody who does have the links stops by
Crap that AAR sounds amazing
shame there is no link

i randomly remembered the author of the AAR's name (Lowpe) and bothered to do some googling, so five months and fifty pages later i would like to provide the requested link, and more. as some sort of disclaimer i should say i've never actually played this game, i just like reading about people playing it, but actual players seem to agree that these games and write-ups are pretty impressive and comprehensive

edit: these are all games against real people, who i get the impression are proficient at the Allied side in their own right

this is the AAR i think i was talking about. it's 270 pages long and goes from june 1942, when he picks up an abandoned, failing Japanese game, to January 1945:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3549450

here is the page where the guy took Chungking, although due to the nature of the game you'll want to read literally several dozen pages beforehand to really get a grasp of his strategy in that theater. this page also ends up being at the start of a few dozen pages that deal with the first big Allied attack on the Home Islands, i think:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3549450&mpage=145

and this is another AAR of his, also picking up an abandoned game as Japan. i think this was one where Japan was winning, and he tried to invade/raid the West Coast at one point. it's completely possible my little narrative above is conflated from both of these threads, it must have been years since i've read them. it's merely 129 pages long:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3549450

i've skimmed through both of the above in the last few days, but only a little. i don't know where the jet plane stuff might be, for example

here's his current effort, starting the game himself this time, also as Japan (always as Japan, it seems). i haven't read past the first page. it started in March 2017, it's active as of today, and it's 98 pages in as of now:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4252977

this guy, along with some of the better commentators, provide a TON of detail (veracity unverified) on mechanics. it's all scattered throughout these massive threads. i'm almost certain there's a huge detailed supply post somewhere in there. he also goes into tons of detail on, well, everything, but it's interesting to see what he has to say about pilot training, altitude selection, setting up japanese industry especially wrt developing, building, and using planes that can actually create unsustainable losses for the USA in 1944, the various weird specifics of ground combat, and other topics that are ridiculously obtuse. i would encourage people to dig through it and find some of his discussions on that sort of thing to quote ITT.

he doesn't have complete mastery though, for example he had one of those days where none of the KB's pilots decide to fly for no discernable reason at an incredibly bad time, so even this guy gets hosed by the UI, and even he can't avoid some of the frustration this game has to offer. i guess it's possible he's learned more since those threads though, they are years old and he has been actively playing from then to now. i guess i should read his newest one

does anybody know the syntax to only see one user's posts in a matrixgames thread? he quotes the worthwhile comments and responds to them or thanks the author.

if you click back to where the post i quoted was you'll see discussion about other AARs too, particularly one with a guy named Greyjoy. it's all in that forum. the links i've provided here could literally take months of your time to read already, though. i'll leave it at that

i may or may not be spending the next few months re-reading all of them

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 21, 2018

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Naval battle of Milne Bay

Battleships sinking carriers while setting up carrier supremacy for a year. Not as big as this timeline's battleship slugfest or the loss of GH's 3 carriers, but had a longterm impact.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So now that the William Porter is sunk, the Allies' luck may turn around?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Poor Willie Dee, she just never catches a lucky break, does she?

US Navy ships named Porter have to be under some kind of curse. Like, every ship with that name since the Spanish-American War managed to be unlucky in one way or another, and several of them in spectacular ways.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

Generation Internet posted:

Pre-refit Akagi vs. pre-refit Lexington, who would win?

Comedy option Graf Zeppelin with casemate guns

Only 8''? Pfft.

Have a HMS furious, Aircraft carrier at the front, a single 18'' gun at the back.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Naval battle of Milne Bay

Battleships sinking carriers while setting up carrier supremacy for a year. Not as big as this timeline's battleship slugfest or the loss of GH's 3 carriers, but had a longterm impact.

Milne Bay was amazing, but the slugfest near Kusaie Island did see 6 IJN carriers, including two fleet carriers, sink. And IIRC we haven't gotten confirmation that any of the American fleet carriers went down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if the Hyuga has been (or will be) refit into a carrier, it seems like it shouldn't operate with the rest of the regular surface battlefleet?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

dublish posted:

So now that the William Porter is sunk, the Allies' luck may turn around?

Alternatively you could view it as the Willie Dee drawing off a large chunk of the Allied incompetence and bad luck, and now that it's gone both will just spread out to everything else again... though given the ineptness of the AI already, that would certainly be something of an accomplishment to get worse.

FDR probably doesn't mind it being gone though.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

21 April 1944

The German minesweeper M-553 (ex-Dutch Willem van Ewijck) is, naturally, mined in the Baltic.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

gradenko_2000 posted:

if the Hyuga has been (or will be) refit into a carrier, it seems like it shouldn't operate with the rest of the regular surface battlefleet?

if WitP is anything like IRL the actual planes will do terribly and be basically useless. Even if it's nice enough to assume that the planes are going to actually be able to launch and land the Hyuga is almost certainly too slow to realistically be an effective part of the Kido Butai

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Our patrol ships take out a landing craft near Truk. Or at least watches it sink.

One of our subs is driven off.

My surface raiders come under attack one hex short of their target.

Another LST goes down.

So angry about this.

They managed to get more troops ashore.

Finish them.

We keep on plugging away!

You would not get me on a landing ship for love nor money.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

quote:

You would not get me on a landing ship for love nor money.

I think being on a US CA is statistically more likely to kill you.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

farraday posted:

I think being on a US CA is statistically more likely to kill you.

You're forgetting what happens to the PBI when those landing craft that aren't sunk actually land in this timeline

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

So angry about this.

Oh noes, the slow old training ship that's an albatross around the necks of your modern cruisers you run it alongside ate a bomb. Such a tragedy. :geno:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Grey, what is the timeline for Charnel House? When does it kick off?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

A couple of months. The northern force is there now, but the guys from hankow are marching over mountins with no good roads. They are closing in on the last base in the area they hold.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The raiders eliminate their target.

A surface attack is brave.

We cover the returning ships.

Bloody fighter support.

There is another day of fighting at Truk.

We take down a liberator on a random deep strike into China.

Pretty standard day today.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Can you take their guns? It'd be hilarious to see Truk garrisoned by a pile of captured American artillery.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

23 April 1944

Destroyer Amagiri mined south of Balikpapan.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm disappointed with my raiders for once!

Those enemy ships then sail into Rabaul.

Boom! Troopship.

A carrier takes out another laden ship.

Spits again.

We get some revenge on the bombers.

We're having a hard time shifting those tanks.

What the.....

Their carriers raid Rio-Namur.

I'm going to risk a shock attack at Truk. I need to over whelm those tanks!

Bloody level bomber cheese.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently this is also the timeline where the Allies have developed the GBU Paveway munition some 50 years ahead of OTL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Man that Zero pilot is already an ace for not getting killed with 100+ US planes in the air.