Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

cultural appropriation is largely good because it spreads awareness of other cultures......like how god of war is an rpg now
TBF any accurate spreading of norse mythology awareness is always welcomed in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dias posted:

It's kinda hard to culturally appropriate a culture that basically "ate up" others thru imperialism and globalization imho.

Exactly. Nobody knows for certain how warped and convoluted American culture actually is. I certainly don't. Every 'truth' thats repeated to us tells us what is and what isn't. It's a game of telephone where the first person's values and intent have been either eroded away over time or hilariously misinterpreted.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Minorkos posted:

That sounds a little vague. Isn't language culture? I'm not a native speaker but I've put some time into learning an American accent. Sometimes when I'm hanging out with my friends, I like to use the accent to imitate Americans. Is that cultural appropriation?

i've unironically seen people argue just learning another culture's language is considered appropriation

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Futaba Anzu posted:

i've unironically seen people argue just learning another culture's language is considered appropriation

Those people are stupid or are trying to poison the well by acting crazy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grouchio posted:

TBF any accurate spreading of norse mythology awareness is always welcomed in my book.

ive been having a lot of trouble reconciling authentic norse imagery in the game with modern norse imagery as used by numerous neo nazi groups, because the imagery is the same. thats the bad kind of cultural appropriation

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think it's going to be funny when the best friends start to like Kratos because he is mean/abrasive towards a little kid.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Futaba Anzu posted:

It's the internet, you can find someone professing anything if you look hard enough

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A lot of People literally think the earth is flat in 2018

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Tae posted:

A lot of People literally think the earth is flat in 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlRdtMiMQEo&feature=youtu.be&t=22m57s

One of my favorite moments from an LP full of funny moments.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

scary ghost dog posted:

ive been having a lot of trouble reconciling authentic norse imagery in the game with modern norse imagery as used by numerous neo nazi groups, because the imagery is the same. thats the bad kind of cultural appropriation

See also: Nazis turning the Swastika into a de-facto hate symbol.

Let me tell you about trying tell people that Swastikas in Hindu shrines aren't the Nazi kind.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think it's going to be funny when the best friends start to like Kratos because he is mean/abrasive towards a little kid.

Wild guess, but if Kratos has to kill his own son at the end because the kid is turning too God Of War 1!Kratos-y, the pop from the guys would break their mics.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wild guess, but if Kratos has to kill his own son at the end because the kid is turning too God Of War 1!Kratos-y, the pop from the guys would break their mics.

That'd be a dire send-up to that picture of Kronos eating his child.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FauxGateau posted:

That'd be a dire send-up to that picture of Kronos eating his child.
Someone should comission 'Kratos eating his child' if this becomes the case.

edit: AND IT'S UP!!

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 22, 2018

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The title card for the GoW LP is loving inspired.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Called it, Pat's piloting the game.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ApeHawk posted:

The title card for the GoW LP is loving inspired.

jesus loving christ I was coming to use that exact word, as well as horrifying

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I hope Pat remembers every time he upgrades Atreus that he's feeding his son so he becomes powerful

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
THE LEGEND OF LUCKY KRATOS BEGINS NOW!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I really hope the whole game is Kratos doing this and being the Hank Hill to Atreus' Bobby Hill

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why didn't anyone tell me that Teal'c is Kratos in the new gow before this

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Their reaction to that fight is what i needed

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Depths posted:

Their reaction to that fight is what i needed

also pat's laugh when checking the bestiary

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
"IS THAT BALDUR?!" - Patrick Boivin, who totally didn't check this out beforehand

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

He literally played Baldur's Gate within the last couple years.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Baldur's Gate has nothing to do with Norse mythology, like, at all.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
If you have even cursory knowledge of Norse mythology you'd be able to make that educated guess. It is not like they are hiding his main gimmick.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Hutter posted:

If you have even cursory knowledge of Norse mythology you'd be able to make that educated guess. It is not like they are hiding his main gimmick.

He even said something about his brother. Also, this fight is really cool.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I just crack up every time I see that title art, that shits inspired.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I'm glad there was a camera there to catch the look of absolute devastation on Pat's face when he learns FF Tactics came out 21 years ago.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 23, 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Listening to Woolie passive-aggressively double down on his tired GOW nonsense before the LP even started made me not want to watch, how much of that bullshit is in the videos so far?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

What are you talking about?

E: the LP is great so far, whatever it is you mean

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Kratos kills those ghouls like the Bloater kills Joel.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Dad of War immediately goes into the Vergil and I can respect that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Goddamn would I so much rather play Baldur or any of the Norse in this new game, everyone looks rad as hell and Kratos is once again the lamest design among a bunch of cool guys.

All the other Greeks looked cooler and now all the Norse look cooler.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 23, 2018

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Baldr is loving amazing :v:

Can't wait for loki to show up, because you know he's loving gonna.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Nalesh posted:

Can't wait for loki to show up, because you know he's loving gonna.
"Look brother, mistletoe!" :D

Edit: Hold up, doesn't Baldur's death kick off Ragnarok? Or was that someone else?

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 23, 2018

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Tupperwarez posted:

"Look brother, mistletoe!" :D

Edit: Hold up, doesn't Baldur's death kick off Ragnarok? Or was that someone else?

It was a sign that Ragnarok would happen. Not so much because of any cause and effect, but because everyone loved Baldur, god of hotties. If the most favored god of them all could die, then being a god didn't mean living forever, and in time all the rest of the gods would die too.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Listening to Woolie passive-aggressively double down on his tired GOW nonsense before the LP even started made me not want to watch, how much of that bullshit is in the videos so far?

I cannot put into witty words the irony of refusing to see something fun because someone complained of something you think is fun, because they didn't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I wonder how much spoiler talk they'll do in the podcast and how fast they'll finish the game because man, GoW ended up GOOD and that's crazy. I know their upload schedule means its gonna take like months for the LP to get done but i cant wait to hear their final take on the game.