Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Anyone remember a show called Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist?

It was a cool concept where different comedians played patients and they just improvised the therapy sessions. It was a pretty cool underrated little show that holds up pretty well. I had forgotten about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dr. Katz hasn't aged well because Ben is portrayed as a loser for being in his 20s unemployed living at home

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Dr. Katz hasn't aged well because Ben is portrayed as a loser for being in his 20s unemployed living at home

Maybe he's a loser for other reasons?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I loving loved Dr Katz. That was right when our market finally got comedy central, I was in like 9th grade. Introduced me to Emo Phillips, which I guess is a good thing?

I actually remember really enjoying how Dr Katz was portrayed as a really loving and supportive father even as he gently encouraged Ben to do something with his life. You almost never see father/adult son relationships like that on TV. I haven't watched it in years so who knows how accurate that was.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone remember a show called Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist?

It was a cool concept where different comedians played patients and they just improvised the therapy sessions. It was a pretty cool underrated little show that holds up pretty well. I had forgotten about it.

Ray Romano's sessions didn't age well because they're exactly Everybody Loves Raymond.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cisneros posted:

Ray Romano's sessions didn't age well because they're exactly Everybody Loves Raymond.

Yeah, some of them were just the comedians doing their bits but I think much of it was improvised. I thought it was cool too how they never really touched on where Ben's mother was. Divorce? Death? I don't they ever explained it.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, some of them were just the comedians doing their bits but I think much of it was improvised. I thought it was cool too how they never really touched on where Ben's mother was. Divorce? Death? I don't they ever explained it.

Carrie Fisher plays the mom/ex-wife in a Thanksgiving episode.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

purple death ray posted:

I loving loved Dr Katz. That was right when our market finally got comedy central, I was in like 9th grade. Introduced me to Emo Phillips, which I guess is a good thing?

I actually remember really enjoying how Dr Katz was portrayed as a really loving and supportive father even as he gently encouraged Ben to do something with his life. You almost never see father/adult son relationships like that on TV. I haven't watched it in years so who knows how accurate that was.

Yeah, that aspect of it's great, though I think a lot that was because it was almost all improvised and they didn't really bother cutting out Jonathan Katz laughing. So you get a lot of scenes of Ben being a gently caress-up or spending his dad's money or wrecking his apartment or whatever and his dad just thinking it's hilarious. I love how low-stakes it feels.

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, some of them were just the comedians doing their bits but I think much of it was improvised.

I thought all the therapy sessions were just comedians doing their acts, isn't that what those parts were for? At least early on, maybe they changed it up later.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Too be fair, a large percentage of stand up comedy in the 80s and 90s was the comedian talking about their neuroses and making fun of themselves in some sort of bizarre stage based therapy session, so it was a pretty good fit...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Too be fair, a large percentage of stand up comedy in the 80s and 90s was the comedian talking about their neuroses and making fun of themselves in some sort of bizarre stage based therapy session, so it was a pretty good fit...
This is still a large part of stand-up comedy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Marc Maron does that, from the two Netflix specials I've seen, and he's pretty great at it. Probably my favorite, but I'm not very knowledgeable about comedians.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

something that quickly didn't age well: tom sizemore playing a child rapist in two episodes of svu from the past couple of years

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is still a large part of stand-up comedy.

Basically every comedian ever has had some sort of problem, typically depression. Basically all of them are in therapy and learned that people will like you if you can make them laugh.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Brother Entropy posted:

something that quickly didn't age well: tom sizemore playing a child rapist in two episodes of svu from the past couple of years

Was his performance that bad?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tom-sizemore-was-removed-movie-set-allegedly-violating-11-year-old-girl-1057629

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

MariusLecter posted:

Nah, he was just like 50 years too old for the role

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

it was svu so yes but also what arivia said

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Brother Entropy posted:

Remember when Tom Sizemore was a serial murder-rapist who recorded his brain waves to sell to junkies on the black market?

Oh. He’s an even bigger piece of poo poo than I thought.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is a great show, but on rewatch, the already annoying characters who are basically grab bags of stereotypes of children with mental disorders are really jarring and unpleasant.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Boy howdy every other joke in Scrubs seems to be about people being gay huh.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is a great show, but on rewatch, the already annoying characters who are basically grab bags of stereotypes of children with mental disorders are really jarring and unpleasant.

I went to see a movie where they played a Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends segment that was about 10 minutes long but felt like it was half an hour and all the characters (especially the blue one) were incredibly annoying. I still don't entirely see the appeal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Or Dr Cox calling JD a girl's name, or calling Elliot "Barbie", or Kelso and Todd sexually harassing people. None of those characters are meant to be wholly admirable, but (with the possible exception of Todd) they are meant to be basically good, likeable people.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Kelso and Cox are definitely not meant to be admirable, or even likable. Todd is special.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Cox is explicitly a belligerent rear end in a top hat who is torpedoing his professional and personal lives by being so, who's main character arc is learning how to be less of an rear end in a top hat and let people in, reconciling with his ex-wife on reaching an emotional compromise with her (by the end they do both respect each other, but express it using sarcasm due to neither one wanting to show weakness - when it comes to Jack they are pretty encouraging after some growing pains) and even playing the game enough to become Chief of Medicine at Sacred Heart. He gets better. JD's a twat though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Scrubs is still a good show, but some of the humor is not ageing well due to the times moving forward. At least it was never actively homophobic insofar I know.
And yes JD is the worst, he always was but he gets worse every rewatch.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Zedd posted:

Scrubs is still a good show, but some of the humor is not ageing well due to the times moving forward. At least it was never actively homophobic insofar I know.
And yes JD is the worst, he always was but he gets worse every rewatch.

All of the jokes are small enough that they could be easily overlooked if they were every now and then. There's just so drat many of them that its a death by a thousand cuts type thing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 11:26 on Apr 23, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Conan O'Brien still does dumb gay jokes today and I don't understand why.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JD is exactly the kind of character who's funny and likeable at first but when you start actually thinking about what he says and does it becomes clear how annoying and childish he is and would be to deal with in real life. I can identify with the Janitor.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

And all the other jokes seem to consist of:

"All women are irrational beings that men can never hope to understand." - One of the women on the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kay Kessler posted:

And all the other jokes seem to consist of:

"All women are irrational beings that men can never hope to understand." - One of the women on the show.

Was that Elliot? Kinda her thing seems to be that while outwardly functional and charming she's super broken inside.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Cox even says it in the first season, no one should be like him because HE can barely stand himself.

JD was fine up until around Season 4 where they dropped the intelligence, seriousness, and humaness of the character and just made it lol JD so girly and dumb. When Season 8 came around they finally got him back on track (mostly). Oddly, the weirder think that didn't age well with JD is that all of a sudden he becomes awkwardly racist in the later seasons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

I went to see a movie where they played a Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends segment that was about 10 minutes long but felt like it was half an hour and all the characters (especially the blue one) were incredibly annoying. I still don't entirely see the appeal.

I remember liking the big Lemmy monster dude, but I haven't seen it in forever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Foster's Home had some really good episodes and writing at times (being from the Powerpuff Girls people probably helped) and some pretty funny and creative ideas, but the flaws really stand out in retrospect.

The Good Wilt Hunting multi-parter is pretty great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Foster's Home had some really good episodes and writing at times (being from the Powerpuff Girls people probably helped) and some pretty funny and creative ideas, but the flaws really stand out in retrospect.

It also benefitted from existing before we had these weird cults that revolve around TV shows for children. I'm positive that if it came out now there would be some weird rear end following.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Cox even says it in the first season, no one should be like him because HE can barely stand himself.

JD was fine up until around Season 4 where they dropped the intelligence, seriousness, and humaness of the character and just made it lol JD so girly and dumb. When Season 8 came around they finally got him back on track (mostly). Oddly, the weirder think that didn't age well with JD is that all of a sudden he becomes awkwardly racist in the later seasons.

Welcome to the mid-00s where the success of the Office and South Park make everyone think this is a form of comedy needed in. Every. Single. Show.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

It also benefitted from existing before we had these weird cults that revolve around TV shows for children. I'm positive that if it came out now there would be some weird rear end following.

Nah, Lauren Faust had to straight up apologize to a cartoon forum board over the episode where her character where she's constantly clowned on by a guest friend pretending to be canadian, bc people were that horny and protective of said character.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The poo poo Lauren Faust has endured through her career of making better than average kids TV makes me wonder if she's related to the other Faust

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

purple death ray posted:

The poo poo Lauren Faust has endured through her career of making better than average kids TV makes me wonder if she's related to the other Faust

You mean Ricky Faust? The guy that works over at the Jiffy Lube on Pine? Yeah, that dude has to put up with a lot of stuff too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Iron Crowned posted:

Nerds have always ruined thinga meant for kids. Tiny Toons ended because early internet furries were stalking Tress Macneil and like, leaving explicit messages about Babs Bunny on her answering machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Wasn't Fosters one of the first animated TV series that used something like Flash animation instead of hand drawn or 3D?