Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuringa posted:

Kat is doing something else

being able to bind demons and walk through walls is a p metal reason to have a daughter i guess lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's much bigger now so it gets an extra letter.

The R stands for "Really Big."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Eglamore has used that shield too

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=808

E: I hit myself with the "reread pages after posting" curse and was reminded of the part where Coyote made sure Annie kept his tooth a secret from the Forest but not the Court. Considering we've been guessing it might be an effective weapon against Ysengrin now, that could be why he did it - so Ys wouldn't be prepared for it when the time comes.

Coyote what is even your deal

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 20, 2018

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
oops I did the thing, and now this page seems even more prescient
http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=824

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dragon enthusiast posted:

So, maybe Coyote intends to regrow from his tooth?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I think I've finally gotten used to Ysengrin's current design and it isn't coming off as a cringy Sonic OC-DO-NOT-STEAL anymore.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Brightman posted:

I think I've finally gotten used to Ysengrin's current design and it isn't coming off as a cringy Sonic OC-DO-NOT-STEAL anymore.

Oh he still looks like that to me, and it's glorious.

I'll never not love/hate that adorable goofpup.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think the dissonance I'm having is that there is a being with Ysengrin's mind but they're expressive like Coyote

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
To me, he thoroughly seems like a cross between the two. Mind and body. He thinks of himself as Ysengrin, but I can't help but read a playfulness in the way he talks that sounds like Coyote. It probably has a lot to do with that smirk, which is a toned down version of Coyote's nearly constant smile.

Also, I really enjoyed that perspective shot of the incoming punch. It's probably one of the best action shots in the comic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The mind is just the plaything of the body, after all.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
I can't stop laughing every time I see sparkledog Coysengrin and it's completely opposite the tension of the plot and I don't care, it's awesome. The panels today are amazing, too.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Honestly I keep looking at this page and flinching a little, that middle panel with the arm at full extension when it hits the forcefield is super awkward

Maybe it's because it's sandwiched between Paranatural and Kill 6 Billion Demons in my reading list but these action shots really feel like they're not Tom's forte.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

dragon enthusiast posted:

I don’t see the binding on her when I checked the last few pages, did Tom just stop drawing it at some point or was there a reason for it?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to some extent, i think this also sorta works in hand w the themes of the comic though: violence in gunnerkrigg as weve seen it so far is usually v brief on-screen if not entirely implied*. the comic doesnt ever seem to engage in glorification of violence in its writing, either. awkward depictions of violence arent necessarily out of place thematically.

* the fencing sections are different imo, its the depiction of a sport and an art form (with admittedly super high stakes the last time there)

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I don’t see the binding on her when I checked the last few pages, did Tom just stop drawing it at some point or was there a reason for it?

it dissipated or something after she went back to the court, everybody forgets this for some reason lmao

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Real Cool Catfish posted:

It came off when she returned from the Forest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Patware posted:

Honestly I keep looking at this page and flinching a little, that middle panel with the arm at full extension when it hits the forcefield is super awkward

Maybe it's because it's sandwiched between Paranatural and Kill 6 Billion Demons in my reading list but these action shots really feel like they're not Tom's forte.

Other than violating the 180 rule i really don't see the problem.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't understand how a front shot, followed by a side shot, followed by another front shot violates the 180 degree rule, especially when there isn't more than one character in any of the images.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

In terms of making the action feel chunky, an arm at full extension like that doesn't really illustrate any momentum or power, like if you hit something like that there's almost no actual power left in the punch.

I could also say a few things about how the lack of any effects at that point in the blow kind of makes it unclear what Ysengrin was actually... doing there.

If anything I think with tom's style he'd be better served letting his anatomy go even more so Ysengrin looks a little more nightmarish and stretchy and fast. Think Studio Trigger.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Patware posted:

I could also say a few things about how the lack of any effects at that point in the blow kind of makes it unclear what Ysengrin was actually... doing there.

I thought he was creating the force field and trapping the Court until I read this thread.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think Coysengrim looks very...Looney Tunes.

...oh. Maybe he's THAT Coyote!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Dias posted:

If that's the case then we can all rest easy knowing everything will be fine

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dias posted:

He's every Coyote.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bruceski posted:

He's every Coyote.

Coyote is every Coyote. Coysengrin is Looney Tunes Coyote. Kat about to use her bird knowledge slash fetish to build a mecha Roadrunner

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dias posted:

That's how he's able to fly, he hasn't looked down yet.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Dias posted:

I can't believe the Court has been an ACME operation this whole time.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Jade Rider posted:

I can't believe the Court has been an ACME operation this whole time.

:five:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Regy Rusty posted:

Coyote what is even your deal
Trickster God is a jerk, here's Tom with the weather.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
This does look a bit like Anjas work.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Kikas posted:

This does look a bit like Anjas work.

Did not expect the robots to be the generators, cos that's what it looks like.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Boxbot to the rescue?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

Boxbot to the rescue?
I'm very sure Boxbot's terrible contribution to the effort will helpfully leave a gaping hole in the force field for Ysengrin to squeeze through. So if that's what you meant, definitely.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh, no, the tree! :ohdear:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

madjack posted:

Did not expect the robots to be the generators, cos that's what it looks like.

They're the projectors. Kat is the generator.

Edit: Fairly certain we're gonna see a panel with Kat passed out or adversely affected by this.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Edit: Fairly certain we're gonna see a panel with Kat passed out or adversely affected by this.
I'll put 10 on "Mildly uncomfortable" or "Hungry" instead.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Those branches inside the barrier are going to hurt whatever they fall on...

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

They're the projectors. Kat is the generator.

I'm down with the Kat = computer theory, but if this was the way it plays out, I'd suspect it'd be the reverse: She's not the generator, the Donlan's etheric computer is just a command/control node piggybacking the processing power of every single court robot to do its heavy lifting, and now they have none to spare, she goes into sleep mode.

Would explain why she can read the robot's code if it physically runs her brain.

Edit: The computer is probably its own physical device, not Kat herself (it just runs her).

madjack fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 23, 2018

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hremsfeld posted:

Those branches inside the barrier are going to hurt whatever they fall on...

Bonus page will be Boxbot crawling out from under one of these

e: Tom I know you read this thread. Please, please show us what Boxbot would look like if Coyote had granted them their strength instead

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I really hope Kat has nothing to do with the etheric computer. I just want her to be a genius who is so smart she's being deified. That seems like enough.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I really hope Kat has nothing to do with the etheric computer. I just want her to be a genius who is so smart she's being deified. That seems like enough.

Don't worry, she doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't worry, she doesn't.

Yeah, no disrespect to any Kat is a computer people but the idea is just silly, imo. Doesn't make any sense.

Please, lets not argue about it for ten pages though, if that's cool with everyone.