Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's really not that hard. Just set up the planet hte way you want it to be set up. Built the buildings you want, then hand it off to a sector without letting it redevelop anything. I've never had a problem with expanding with so many colonies growing at once that I had to hand off half-built world to the AI.

The other trick is only build buildings that you have a pop to use them (in your personally controlled sector of stuff you're still growing, naturally). The AI will always prioritize a building over an empty square, so it's easy enough to just build poo poo in the order that's important to you and always have someone on it.

I play spiritualist about half the time and I never really have the problems you seem to have keeping pops on my temples, hospitals, etc.

Hi. When you've just captured twenty or so planets from an enemy empire, this is not feasible. Especially if you're playing robots and capturing a planet blows up half the structures on their planets, and the AI is too loving stupid to build a capital building.

Seriously, it cannot be this difficult to program the AI to do this poo poo correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Shadowlyger posted:

Seriously, it cannot be this difficult to program the AI to do this poo poo correctly.

You're right, the developers are freakin idiots!! Gosh!!!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Shadowlyger posted:

I look forward to your customised AI with optimised decision trees that totally won't crush the player in the hands of an enemy empire.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Hi. When you've just captured twenty or so planets from an enemy empire, this is not feasible. Especially if you're playing robots and capturing a planet blows up half the structures on their planets, and the AI is too loving stupid to build a capital building.

Does https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1140543652 help?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sidestepping the current AI is hard stuff, development on algorithms that teach themselves to play games and do so fairly decently is underway with a lot of progress being made by the OpenAI folks. I think this is the way forward, not hand tuning rules and weights which I think is not really scalable and has a lot of drawbacks.

https://blog.openai.com/retro-contest/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Should I be happy that in the year 2251 it will take me 69 months to unlock my last Unity Tradition pick?

:stare: how did you pull that off?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

iospace posted:

Yeah, what? 50 years should be enough to fill out I dunno 2 trees? :stare:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Posting again about this: could a mod be hard-capping the amount of titans you can field to 3 regardless of total naval capacity despite the final 2.02 patch removing that hard cap? The only mod I use that could be loving with that is this old mod someone here recommended long ago: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1312223578.

Additionally, could a mod have hosed with combat behavior again? Because IIRC the 2.0 patch actually made ships stay in their preferred ranges, and now even artillery battleships and titans are just flying headlong into the scrum instead of keeping their distance and shooting. The only ship component mods I'm using that might touch ship components are Guilli's mod and the aforementioned ship speedup mod.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

I was finding planets in sectors that had no capital buildings with this mod, so apparently no.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shadowlyger posted:

I was finding planets in sectors that had no capital buildings with this mod, so apparently no.

that is an extremely rare bug, i've seen it a few times but it's not common

in general, yes, glavius AI builds up planets almost identically to a good player and you'll never have complaints about your sectors if you use it. it won't build a few things (planetary shield generators, military academies) but it's tremendously better at planet management than vanilla AI

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hell I'd be happy as a clam if the sector AI just built the drat capital buildings somewhere in the middle of the grid to get 4 borders instead of plopping it on an edge with 3 or god help me 2 adjacent tiles to give bonuses to.

And while we're wishing for unicorns, built the admin array on conquered planets instead of the deployment post.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Aerdan posted:

I look forward to your customised AI with optimised decision trees that totally won't crush the player in the hands of an enemy empire.

The current AI is _really_ bad with planets. See my thread on the official forums here:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/its-the-year-2221-lets-see-what-the-ai-is-doing.1088768/

In other news, I found my favorite type of war today: the liberation war! Invade someone, flip their government, and then afterwards they love you! Easy way to get protectorates or federation members, plus just plain get rid of that annoying bastard at your border without having to deal without micromanaging their space.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

iospace posted:

That was a typo, it was 2351. I was pretty happy with having all my Traditions filled out before 2360.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

That was a typo, it was 2351. I was pretty happy with having all my Traditions filled out before 2360.

My question remains. Did you not build any colonies or something?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's doable. That each farm gives unity thing, combined with artisans, with the three months of unity per tech thing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

iospace posted:

My question remains. Did you not build any colonies or something?
Fanatic Spiritualist + Species 10% boost (Traditional?) + Beacon of Liberty + Temple day 1 + Believe In Science (Discovery Tree unity boost thingy) + every Unity generating building goes on every planet + research things like improved Temple and Deep Space Black Site + go Psychic + reserve Ascension Perks so I can grab the two Psychic Ascension Perks ASAP + Ministry of Culture + Psi Corps building + Artisan Troupe bonus + 5 Artisan Troupe Art Buildings.

drat that is more than I thought. But yeah, you could say I focus on it. I could have done it faster if I had ever gotten a leader with a 10% boost and if I had found the Artisan Troop faster.

With all of those boosts to Unity income you can grow as fast and as wide as you want as long as you make sure to do the "Every building that generates Unity goes on every planet" part because it generates more Unity than the penalty you get for a new Colony.

I finish the Discovery tree before founding my first colony and make sure to get the Extra Colonist Ascension perk before I start founding more than the first few.

In this particular game I just hit 2400 and have 30ish Gaia worlds with over 500 of my species pops. I conquered two Ring Worlds from a FE around 2375.

I have Executive Vigor and run pretty much all of the energy, influence, and unity Edicts non-stop.

Almost 400 of my pops are in my Spiritualist faction, which has a base of 82% happiness.

edit: here is a screenshot from around 2350ish, I think? https://imgur.com/a/6O3jKk3
I will upload some, properly tagged, ones tomorrow if people are curious.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 23, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shadowlyger posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/c-developers-with-a-passion-for-games-wanted.1060257/

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the next ship pack the stellaris team comes out with should be one where all the ships are instead giant robots of varying sizes.
You know, the whole macross/gundam/gurren Lagann/transformers sort of deal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Or a full blown technoorganic pack. They can't go full organic what with it would need entire separate tech trees for weaponry, but a terrifying cosmic horror hybrid would do

Or they could do with more stuff like the Gauna from Knights of Sidonia. I can't remember another spacefaring entity that just bothers me to the very core like the Gauna do. They're abjectly horrifying. Like not even their design necessarily, but also the things they can do. There's one part where one of the pilots gets eaten by a gauna. She wakes up floating in space in her EVA suit, sees the human ship, and tries to contact them. Nobody responds, so she tries to jet back over to them, and they begin firing on her. She's not sure what's going on, and then realizes she's the size of a skyscraper. The Gauna has ingested her and she died, but it cloned her consciousness and morphed into a massive version of her. As it's having this psychological crisis at what it is and screaming in its own head in the fetal position in space, it gets blown apart by the human ship. And that's just one of the terrifying things they can do.

Definitely one of my favorite space monsters.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 23, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If we're talking utterly alien aliens, try out MorningLightMountain from Pandora's Star, or Rorschach in Blindsight. Two creepy space aliens

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Synthbuttrange posted:

If we're talking utterly alien aliens, try out MorningLightMountain from Pandora's Star, or Rorschach in Blindsight. Two creepy space aliens

MorningLightMountain is the best realisation of a hive mind I've ever read (and also the only one that makes biological sense).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

GotLag posted:

MorningLightMountain is the best realisation of a hive mind I've ever read (and also the only one that makes biological sense).

It really is such a good description. I liked his earlier books, but the Commonwealth series is so much better in pretty much every way.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Blindsight was kind of cool. I like the idea of an alien that isn't sentient, doesn't need to be sentient, and hates that we are. Like imagine if the guy sitting next to you on the bus kept broadcasting tv shows at you from the cells in his kidneys. loving annoying.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Any devs reading this: Give every race a race-specific perk like Ascendancy does. Man I loved that game.

Bloodly posted:

That could only work by removing customisation completely. There's too many combos of ethics for that. And even if you refer to 'Appearance' alone, it turns the 'Cosmetic' DLCs into something other than what they should be, as they'd need special bonuses, too.

Well, user selectable special ones then, at least something that can't be genetically engineered onto/off of a race (that isn't psychic/cyborg/robot).

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 23, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That could only work by removing customisation completely. There's too many combos of ethics for that. And even if you refer to 'Appearance' alone, it turns the 'Cosmetic' DLCs into something other than what they should be, as they'd need special bonuses, too.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/988375724846452736

This is pretty cool, Wiz.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Cool, but it feels a bit generous: I'd only allow the player to see hyperlanes in systems they'd visited.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Turning it more and more back into Master of Orion 2 but prettier.

I don't know how I feel, in truth, because I feel I vaguely understand Stellaris while I've never understood Master of Orion 2. Everyone seems to want to do so, or receive such. I don't entirely understand why.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
That looks like it kinda negates the whole 'you won't be able to immediately expand towards choke points' idea when you can see a large swathe of space around you right off the bat, which is really the most important area to you anyway.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 23, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I wonder if it'll still show you the route when you tell a science ship to go to some system on the other side of the galaxy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Cool, but it feels a bit generous: I'd only allow the player to see hyperlanes in systems they'd visited.
Same, at least at the beginning. Start with your immediate area pre-scouted from planetary observation, science ships need to visit a system or at least an adjacent system to see new hyperlanes and this goes up with sensor tech. Non-science ships have a -1 range modifier.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Really you should need to visit every system and survey for hyperlanes and ship speed should be reduced 70-80%

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Playstation 4 posted:

Really you should need to visit every system and survey for hyperlanes and ship speed should be reduced 70-80%

this, but ironically

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/988402357422710784

quote:

In this new discovery-themed pack, players will uncover new anomalies and storylines, and encounter strange new beings in the uncharted depths of space.

New trailer out!

Stellaris - Distant Stars

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
More space creatures? Sign me up! Hoping for some kind of space ecosystem at some point...

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

binge crotching posted:

I wonder if it'll still show you the route when you tell a science ship to go to some system on the other side of the galaxy.

Going somewhere requires you to already see the connections necessary to get there.

It's worth noting that once a hyperlane has been seen it stays visible forever.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A stream for the new pack is starting in a few minutes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And so ends the reign of Archon Ramon Martinez, Gekkan war hero, time traveler, and leader, at the staggering age of 122, way older than they normally get what with being Fleeting and all, even with age buffs. :patriot:

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

canepazzo posted:

Stellaris - Distant Stars
:wow: That looks wicked awesome!

In other news, I'm back to playing with my friends now 2.0 is out

Does anyone have any suggestions for for fun "gimmick" builds?
I had a load of fun playing fanatic Pacifist + Xenophobe, Inward Perfection and Agrarian Idyll but I'd like to hear from you guys if there's anything particularly daft I can change it up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ah gently caress I missed the trailer!

Black Pants posted:

That looks like it kinda negates the whole 'you won't be able to immediately expand towards choke points' idea when you can see a large swathe of space around you right off the bat, which is really the most important area to you anyway.
Knowing what choke points are right next to you versus what choke points are halfway down the galactic spiral arm and rushing towards them is a big difference though.