Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Rocket Pan posted:

About that, the textures aren't misaligned and upside down in the original maps.

I guess I was just thinking of where the secret doors in walls are and the textures are "off" to get your attention. I didn't realize there were actual fuckups in the recreated levels for doom 2016/vfr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's VR ports of OG Doom as well. They play alright with a controller (and with view bobbing turned off) provided you can stomach it.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-23-a-new-doom-movie-is-in-the-works

Anyone excited for a new DOOM movie?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I enjoyed every lovely cheesy moment from the one with Karl Urban and the Rock, so yes, very much so.

I dunno who Nina Bergman is, but she seems like a perfect Olivia casting, which makes it sound like they're going with the Doom2016 story, which I'm super excited for. I dunno how that would play out--I feel like the Doomslayer wouldn't be a great movie-length protagonist--but should be fun at the very least

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

only if it looks like a soft reboot but halfway through you realize it was a sequel the whole time

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What are the chances they will make a proper DOOM movie? Cause I'm not very optimistic.'

Unless it's 90 minutes of nothing but progressively bigger and bigger demon guts being spilled to the sounds of Mick Gordon's OST I don't see it happening.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PlaneGuy posted:

only if it looks like a soft reboot but halfway through you realize it was a sequel the whole time

Ideally it seems like it's its own thing but then about halfway through after the doom guy kills a pair of hell barons the Rock rolls out like "ONCE YOU BEAT THE BIG BADASSES YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO WIN, RIGHT?!" and cuts a demonic promo paraphrasing that entire text blurb.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I enjoyed every lovely cheesy moment from the one with Karl Urban and the Rock, so yes, very much so.

I dunno who Nina Bergman is, but she seems like a perfect Olivia casting, which makes it sound like they're going with the Doom2016 story, which I'm super excited for. I dunno how that would play out--I feel like the Doomslayer wouldn't be a great movie-length protagonist--but should be fun at the very least

I’d think Tilda Swinton would be pretty inspired casting for Olivia.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

okay yeah that would be even better, you're right

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Xenomrph posted:

That's a pretty drat perfect fit yeah.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

My first thought is that they'd keep him as a silent protagonist, but there are new characters around him who do things like acting and moving the plot forward, leaving the Slayer to rip and tear.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wanderer posted:

My first thought is that they'd keep him as a silent protagonist, but there are new characters around him who do things like acting and moving the plot forward, leaving the Slayer to rip and tear.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

another possibility is they try to do a story about the fall of Argent D'Nur and the creation of the Doomslayer. I really hope they don't do that though, the Doomslayer should be a force of nature that has, as far as the audience knows, always been the Doomslayer.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Wanderer posted:

I really hope so. I would love if Doomslayer turns out to be be this like third party thing (like a reverse horror movie monster) that the main characters has to find/assist while the whole facility goes to hell. Like its the day in the life of a regular office drone that doesn't know just how bad the cult for the higher upers is until hell get unleashed on Mars. And Doomslayer is like the one thing they can find to turn the whole thing around while Samuel Hayden/Olivia Pierce do the talking.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It’s hard for me to see how a Doom movie could be any good when the entire franchise is built around game mechanics that are fun to interact with, and barely any story at all. I could only see a movie being good if it had a retardedly high budget for just the visual spectacle of more and more demons getting gibbed by one pissed off dude with the most kick rear end weapons you can imagine.

Like, picture the movie 300 but with one Doomslayer instead of 300 Spartans and hundreds of thousands of demons instead of Persians and that’s a start.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
John Wick, but with doom

edit: John Stalvern

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
THEY KILLED HIS BUNNY... NOW HE'S OUT FOR REVENGE... BUT CAN HE AVOID BECOMING THE DEMONS?

JOHN STALVERN

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

It’s hard for me to see how a Doom movie could be any good when the entire franchise is built around game mechanics that are fun to interact with, and barely any story at all. I could only see a movie being good if it had a retardedly high budget for just the visual spectacle of more and more demons getting gibbed by one pissed off dude with the most kick rear end weapons you can imagine.

Like, picture the movie 300 but with one Doomslayer instead of 300 Spartans and hundreds of thousands of demons instead of Persians and that’s a start.

p much what I'm hoping for yeah

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the best bet for a doom movie would just be to play a glitchless speedrun of doom 2016 at 4k minus a few levels and exploration for powerups for time

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

site posted:

the best bet for a doom movie would just be to play a glitchless speedrun of doom 2016 at 4k minus a few levels and exploration for powerups for time

I just read about the removal of this category on speedrun.com and lol why is every speedrun.com community run by idiot modders with no common sense

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CJacobs posted:

I just read about the removal of this category on speedrun.com and lol why is every speedrun.com community run by idiot modders with no common sense

Wait, what happened?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

another possibility is they try to do a story about the fall of Argent D'Nur and the creation of the Doomslayer. I really hope they don't do that though, the Doomslayer should be a force of nature that has, as far as the audience knows, always been the Doomslayer.

Nah get this: we see a story about the fall of Argent D'Nur and their attempt to create the Doomslayer - but with the twist that their attempts to build him call his attention from yet another plane where he just got done slaying demons.

GreatGreen posted:

It’s hard for me to see how a Doom movie could be any good when the entire franchise is built around game mechanics that are fun to interact with, and barely any story at all.

The original Doom makes sure you know that the marine was assigned to Mars duty for defending innocent civilians against corrupt military officers, that's already a pretty cool backstory.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, what happened?

Despite a poll revealing that people wanted to keep the category, they removed it because apparently the people who asked for it couldn't decide on a rule set. But instead of giving them time to come up with a rule set they just said too bad and got rid of it. Their justification was that people didn't actually run the category, which is not true, and there are categories that are still up to this very day that are less popular and have fewer runs and people running them.

edit, also they kept asking what it means to be in and out of bounds and saying it's impossible to define... which is, uh, really simple?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 23, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CJacobs posted:

i had to go look at this for myself cuz i couldnt believe it but wow that is just incredibly stupid, esp considering that 1. lots of gmes have categories that are literally empty and no one seems to mind that they are still available for people to attempt and 2. glitched doom runs are painfully unfun to watch

i hope doomedsda can pick up the slack somehow, maybe cheat by linking to youtube vids since you cant record demos afaik

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Surge's speedrunning modders are equally as nonsensical, see requiring people to use manual timers even though the game literally tells you to the exact minute how long you have been playing, as opposed to a manual timer which will be affected by your load times. They told me "what if two people get the same exact time, it doesn't show seconds" lol.

edit: And Max Payne 3's mods, who asked me to in earnest learn how to code and make my own load removal timer instead of just converting to using a manual timer to time the game, a thing that would be easier and much less suspenseful for everybody involved (since not being able to see how you're doing during a run is really stupid).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 23, 2018

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I love the original doom story that he was just a guy who didn't want to kill civilians, and therefore was assigned to mars. When poo poo hit the fan they left him behind with only a handgun. His immense anger makes sense because I can hear him going "gently caress's sake" all the way through, getting more and more angry about how everyone has hosed up and now he's in hell cleaning up everyone's mess getting more and more angry.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CJacobs posted:

The Surge's speedrunning modders are equally as nonsensical, see requiring people to use manual timers even though the game literally tells you to the exact minute how long you have been playing, as opposed to a manual timer which will be affected by your load times. They told me "what if two people get the same exact time, it doesn't show seconds" lol.

edit: And Max Payne 3's modders, who asked me to in earnest learn how to code and make my own load removal timer instead of just converting to using a manual timer to time the game, a thing that would be easier and much less suspenseful for everybody involved (since not being able to see how you're doing during a run is really stupid).

It's almost like putting runners who obsessively do one category only in charge of the entire game and all category creation is a bad idea

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Variety posted:

An NBC/Universal spokesperson told Variety the new “Doom” is being handled by Universal 1440 Entertainment, which produces live-action and animated non-theatrical productions directly for distribution in all media worldwide. That means the film may be direct-to-DVD, or it could possibly appear on a digital platform like Netflix. Universal 1440’s other projects currently include the latest “Tremors” movie, a “Death Race” sequel, and an adaptation of Bruce Coville’s sci-fi classic “Aliens Ate My Homework.”
Bodes well.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh. Booooo. When I heard Netflix, I'd hoped a Netflix Original, because then there'd be a chance of it being some kind of good.

Well, my hopes weren't high to begin with, but at least now I can stop worrying about it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
*prepares for another movie titled “DOOM” featuring a group of four or five stereotypically ethnically diverse generic marines (one of their names will be “Ramirez“) holding guns and walking around generic dim-lit space sci-fi hallways and talking about their feelings for 90% of the movie, ultimately leading to an end boss fight featuring the shittiest looking CGI cyber demon ever*

RETARD 4: THE MOVIE: THE RETARDENING 1

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 23, 2018

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Stream it until it dies

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The death race remake was a pretty fun action movie. Like the first one. Death race 2 and 3 were meh

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah the Jason Statham Death Race movie was like R-rated Mario Kart, complete with powerups and poo poo. It was also the high water mark for practical-effects vehicle mayhem until Mad Max Fury Road came out.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It was a terrible movie but it was also the best movie to watch drunk in a rowdy student theater with everyone chanting and cheering and poo poo.
I've seen hundreds of way better movies since then but very few compare to the moment the entire theater jumped up and went nuts over the truck flip

I'm not sure even that setting could save a Doom movie though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Kins posted:

Bodes well.

In fairness, the last couple of Death Race movies have been trash classics. That's the same tone as I would expect from a reasonably faithful adaptation of the 2016 Doom.

GreatGreen posted:

Instead of Samuel Hayden as the exposition monkey, we start with a nameless lab tech (immunized from the corruptive effects of the Argent energy by, I don't know, metal plates in his/her skull) who's cornered by demons, and decides that even if the Slayer kills him/her, that's probably cleaner than what the demons have to offer. The Slayer wakes up, cleans house, and halfway through the stammering exposition-laced "don't kill me" speech, leaves, starts killing demons, and doesn't stop for the next sixty-five minutes.

Take a time out at minute sixty-six so Olivia can scream at the lab tech about what he/she actually did by unleashing the Slayer. Lab tech has a moment of indecision, then helps the Slayer anyway, because look at this loving place, destroying it is absolutely the right call, Team Doom Slayer all the way, [waves little flag]. Lab tech doubles down by unlocking the door to the BFG lab, Olivia unleashes the Cyberdemon, giant showdown, sequel hook, roll credits.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It was a terrible movie but it was also the best movie to watch drunk in a rowdy student theater with everyone chanting and cheering and poo poo.
I've seen hundreds of way better movies since then but very few compare to the moment the entire theater jumped up and went nuts over the truck flip

I'm not sure even that setting could save a Doom movie though.

The truck flip is fantastic. I remember reading an anecdote from the director where he insisted that everything with the cars be done as practical effects, and the stunt men balked at the idea of doing the truck flip practically, and the director said “no, the truck flip too”, and the stunt guys tried to talk him out of it because it would be super-dangerous and why not do it with CGI, and the director said “we’re doing it for real, I don’t care if it’s dangerous, that’s why you’re the stunt guys, get to work”.

Edit— the scene in question: https://youtu.be/pgL4IvoR7tw

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I could see a DOOM Movie being a version of Hardcore Henry but with a higher budget

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Fury road but on Mars and instead of driving it's circle strafing

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Xenomrph posted:

The truck flip is fantastic. I remember reading an anecdote from the director where he insisted that everything with the cars be done as practical effects, and the stunt men balked at the idea of doing the truck flip practically, and the director said “no, the truck flip too”, and the stunt guys tried to talk him out of it because it would be super-dangerous and why not do it with CGI, and the director said “we’re doing it for real, I don’t care if it’s dangerous, that’s why you’re the stunt guys, get to work”.

Edit— the scene in question: https://youtu.be/pgL4IvoR7tw

I can see why even the stunt people would not be wild of that one. Yikes.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Wanderer posted:

In fairness, the last couple of Death Race movies have been trash classics. That's the same tone as I would expect from a reasonably faithful adaptation of the 2016 Doom.

Instead of Samuel Hayden as the exposition monkey, we start with a nameless lab tech (immunized from the corruptive effects of the Argent energy by, I don't know, metal plates in his/her skull) who's cornered by demons, and decides that even if the Slayer kills him/her, that's probably cleaner than what the demons have to offer. The Slayer wakes up, cleans house, and halfway through the stammering exposition-laced "don't kill me" speech, leaves, starts killing demons, and doesn't stop for the next sixty-five minutes.

Take a time out at minute sixty-six so Olivia can scream at the lab tech about what he/she actually did by unleashing the Slayer. Lab tech has a moment of indecision, then helps the Slayer anyway, because look at this loving place, destroying it is absolutely the right call, Team Doom Slayer all the way, [waves little flag]. Lab tech doubles down by unlocking the door to the BFG lab, Olivia unleashes the Cyberdemon, giant showdown, sequel hook, roll credits.

I would watch this, and then play the game based on the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CGI fest action movies are zzzzzzzz

Let the dudes behind The Void spin DOOM into a gross horror movie full of practical effects and weird takes on the classic demons.