Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jesus, "The Great Wound" being a system full of dozens of black holes is something else alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Tiyanki Leviathan! :3:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LordMune posted:

Going somewhere requires you to already see the connections necessary to get there.

It's worth noting that once a hyperlane has been seen it stays visible forever.

That makes me happy to hear, I was worried it would be easy to just cheese it by trying to go somewhere far and getting an idea of the lanes that way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

canepazzo posted:

Tiyanki Leviathan! :3:
QUEEN SPACE COW

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within

So the Incognito Incognita mod?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693615679

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

kaffo posted:

:wow: That looks wicked awesome!

In other news, I'm back to playing with my friends now 2.0 is out

Does anyone have any suggestions for for fun "gimmick" builds?
I had a load of fun playing fanatic Pacifist + Xenophobe, Inward Perfection and Agrarian Idyll but I'd like to hear from you guys if there's anything particularly daft I can change it up with

Get the Origin Civics mod and start with Dyson Engineers and Voidborne. :getin:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Oh, more DLC. Hopefully they are putting some time into making the AI not so stupid instead of just shoving more crap into the game.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Black Pants posted:

That sounds ultra broken :crossarms:

edit: I just looked at the mod, they sound :perfect: thanks!

kaffo fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 23, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Peachfart posted:

Oh, more DLC. Hopefully they are putting some time into making the AI not so stupid instead of just shoving more crap into the game.

You do realize that not everyone can work on the AI at the same time right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone just posted that they're looking for devs for the AI or something in the last couple days, right?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

"See the Galaxy. Meet interesting and stimulating beings of ancient and exotic cultures... and kill them."

ZypherIM posted:

You do realize that not everyone can work on the AI at the same time right?

While I get that argument, for me the fact that Paradox continues to push for additional content while their core game suffers from some fundamental flaws (like sectors being terribly managed) really detracts from the appeal of new stuff. I'm all for more content and new anomalies, but I would be significantly more excited for something that fixes ground combat and addresses the flaws with the AI.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm fine with the ground combat, honestly. Like yeah, it could be better, but it's such a small thing versus stuff like AI.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I honestly don't know what problem you could have with the ground combat anymore. I mean, stick troops in the regular ships instead of making me bus them around maybe, but as for actually landing and taking planets, that all seems to be working pretty well. In the game I'm playing now I've been feudally vassalizing the galaxy with my armies of space cacti jedi with no real problems.

Man if this new dlc doesn't include pacifist ways to interact with space life after that trailer some real bad poo poo is going to go down though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ground combat could be better, but it's not that bad. The only thing that sucks about it right now is that there isn't an army manager to auto-build army templates from the worlds with Military Academies.

And actually now that I think about it, they could be spaceport modules and then it'd be even easier to make an Army Manager just like the Fleet Manager.

e: or poo poo, even make the various army types you can build into various hulltypes, and then it can be integrated into the existing fleet manager.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

While I get that argument, for me the fact that Paradox continues to push for additional content while their core game suffers from some fundamental flaws (like sectors being terribly managed) really detracts from the appeal of new stuff. I'm all for more content and new anomalies, but I would be significantly more excited for something that fixes ground combat and addresses the flaws with the AI.

I don't disagree, but the fact remains that not only is it not feasible for their whole team to work on the AI from a logistical standpoint, most of them probably aren't knowledgeable enough to do so. Having those guys work on content that fleshes out existing stuff more while not impacting systems that need fixing is just fine in my book.

Ground combat is pretty pushed back on the priority list but I agree that it is really bleh. They should just steal moo3 ground combat ideas (but without the whole not-working bugs). I'm fairly sure they want to rework it, but it is functional and other systems need more work.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I'd like troop transports to be totally abstracted or actually have a role in space combat, like boarding. 'Barbaric Despoilers' still aren't the Full Zuul experience.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Keep in mind if they made "fixing the AI" a DLC feature people would freak the gently caress out and justifiably so.

AI should be a priority, but it shouldn't feature in their DLC plans and, with respect to the game's financial future, I don't begrudge them not stopping the DLC development over it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Troop transports loving up AI targetting in battles is a poo poo consequence of them not being abstracted enough. They should go.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think it's sadly a bit of the paradox model now to just drown a game in new features and new mana types rather than fix core balance or AI issues. If there's always some new system being added to the game that's a great excuse why your AI isn't great or there's serious balance problems.

It's like, to sell DLC they have to keep adding marketable features to the game to pay for the free update, but that means the free update is always trying to hit a moving target. I honestly don't know if we'll ever get a decent AI out of stellaris. Every new update adds more poo poo for the AI to need to deal with and they seem to barely be treading water by frantically keeping the AI up to date with the latest mana types while seemingly not having any time to fix the core AI behavior. And even if they did suddenly get the AI looking great, the next DLC could wreck it all again by introducing some badly conceived mechanic AI's struggle with.

Ultimately though tiles were the worst conceived mechanic in the game simply from an AI perspective. If they had gone with a more AI-friendly system the game would be in such a better place today.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

toasterwarrior posted:

Troop transports loving up AI targetting in battles is a poo poo consequence of them not being abstracted enough. They should go.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I wish you could attach troops to fleets, treat them like equipment. It'd be less finicky to manage, and then it'd fit better with the orbital bombardment and troop deployment and so on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How do destroyed strike craft work? Do they just keep spawning indefinitely or can you "run out"?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It’s a new story pack, theres no overlap between game design/ai design and story writing.

I don’t know why this argument happens every time a new dlc comes out. Unlike the other paradox teams that have overloaded their game with features, the stellaris team just trimmed some fat off and breathed new life into the game. A story pack seems like a good “breather” while core problems are fixed and refined.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

How do destroyed strike craft work? Do they just keep spawning indefinitely or can you "run out"?
They respawn at 1 per 8ish days, so you can run out temporarily.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Yeah, I was a bit surprised that the next DLC wasn't diplomacy-featured, but then I noticed that the DLC is mostly featuring new events and anomalies and such, i.e. stuff that can be done by anyone with just enough scripting knowledge to parse Paradox's event system, and more importantly writing chops. It's basically letting the art team raise extra funds while the programmers work on core systems, it just seems weird because the artists are mostly writers this time instead of graphic designers.

Writers are artists too, damnit! :argh:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tomn posted:

Yeah, I was a bit surprised that the next DLC wasn't diplomacy-featured, but then I noticed that the DLC is mostly featuring new events and anomalies and such, i.e. stuff that can be done by anyone with just enough scripting knowledge to parse Paradox's event system, and more importantly writing chops. It's basically letting the art team raise extra funds while the programmers work on core systems, it just seems weird because the artists are mostly writers this time instead of graphic designers.

Writers are artists too, damnit! :argh:
The pattern has been alternating real expansions and story packs. I bet the next expansion will be diplomacy focused.

I don't get why there's any negativity about this announcement. I mean, I get why there's some preexisting negativity, sure. But it's not like they were going to announce a story pack to refine the sector AI. And unlike Synthetic Dawn, the last story pack, this doesn't seem like it's adding new game rules and systems, which means the people who actually tweak AI have more time to get all that in order without things shifting about dramatically.

A story pack that's just a whole shitton of new anomalies is probably the best announcement they could make if you're concerned about the game being unpolished and getting bloated.

A possible slip by Wiz in the stream- they showed off L Gates, which are a special kind of gateway and they're being billed as one of the major features in the update, and he was being coy about what might be behind the gateway. And then later on when listing features he said "L Clusters and L Gates".

If there are like... Magellanic Cloud style mini galaxies behind the L Gates, that would be incredible.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's sadly a bit of the paradox model now to just drown a game in new features and new mana types rather than fix core balance or AI issues. If there's always some new system being added to the game that's a great excuse why your AI isn't great or there's serious balance problems.

It's like, to sell DLC they have to keep adding marketable features to the game to pay for the free update, but that means the free update is always trying to hit a moving target. I honestly don't know if we'll ever get a decent AI out of stellaris. Every new update adds more poo poo for the AI to need to deal with and they seem to barely be treading water by frantically keeping the AI up to date with the latest mana types while seemingly not having any time to fix the core AI behavior. And even if they did suddenly get the AI looking great, the next DLC could wreck it all again by introducing some badly conceived mechanic AI's struggle with.

Ultimately though tiles were the worst conceived mechanic in the game simply from an AI perspective. If they had gone with a more AI-friendly system the game would be in such a better place today.

You keep saying mana type, but the last new resource was Unity and that was added in like April 2017.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

And even then, when I think of mana bar type mechanics- they’re superficial and add very little in terms of content. Whereas unity is pretty ingrained as a game mechanic and can radically change how you govern your empire. Try and compare that to innovativeness.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Spanish Matlock posted:

You keep saying mana type, but the last new resource was Unity and that was added in like April 2017.

I'm more looking at their other games and the directions their DLC went and worrying the same for stellaris. I'd be quite happy if they didn't go that route though!
We do now have starbase capacity as a new "resource" though that you need to carefully spend and min/max your stations since you have a limited supply with limited modules.

Would be 100% down with them getting rid of troop transports and replacing them with a manpower mana that you generate from your pops at a speed based on ethos/traits/policies. Would make the "military service" species policy meaningful too.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I'll say this: Thinking about it, an anomaly pack is a really, really good addition to the game given that it's been a very long time since I've actually paid attention to any of the anomalies I've found, clicking through everything after taking a brief glance at the difficulty level and assigning the proper scientist.

Oh, look, another fart joke canister. Ho-hum, abandoned amusement park. Flowerpot in space, whoop-de-doo. Ancient mass driver, oh ho ho, Mass Effect. Oh, neat, this one gave me Living Metal, that's cool. Etc. etc.

I really wish more of the new anomalies took on the flavor of, say , the precursor projects. Those did a much better job of conveying the idea that there's a whole new weird, strange, alien world out there.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Wiz mentioned on the stream that you'll be able to render spacebeasts friendly. Finally I can farm spacewhales!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aethernet posted:

Wiz mentioned on the stream that you'll be able to render spacebeasts friendly. Finally I can farm spacewhales!

I uh don't think thats what was meant by "render"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm more looking at their other games and the directions their DLC went and worrying the same for stellaris. I'd be quite happy if they didn't go that route though!
We do now have starbase capacity as a new "resource" though that you need to carefully spend and min/max your stations since you have a limited supply with limited modules.

Would be 100% down with them getting rid of troop transports and replacing them with a manpower mana that you generate from your pops at a speed based on ethos/traits/policies. Would make the "military service" species policy meaningful too.

EU4 and CK2 are both kind of end of life at this point. Obviously I have no loving idea when they're going to iterate on those franchises next, but they're both long in the tooth. EU3 was launched in 2007, for example, and EU4 in 2013. If they go six years between sequels on that, then, we'd be looking at some time next year.

I mention this because what they tend to do is majorly refine the base game and at the same time pare down a LOT of features while retaining the ones that worked the best. Look at end-stage HOI3 vs. launch HOI4 to see this in action. Once that's done you tend to get a bit of bringing back in some features that didn't work quite as they wanted in the previous one with a heavy re-work (HOI4's rehash of HOI3's command structure in the most recent patch, for example) as well as fleshing out some things that have been long standing issues (again - HOI4 finally has a Chinese conflict that makes some sense).

So, yeah, Paradox games get crunchy as hell with a lot of bloat by the end, but then they swing through and slap the reset button and clean things up a lot. Meanwhile the expansions are generally, well, expansive enough in their own right to really refresh the game and frequently are semi-optional once you get towards the end. I've only got about half of the EU4 expansions but it still manages to be a fun game. This is helped a lot by making major updates that change game mechanics largely free and then having the more content-driving stuff be the paid expansion material.

Paradox catches a lot of poo poo from people who look at how much it would cost to buy the complete EU4 6 years into its life, but the flip side is that if you're the sort of person who plays these games you're getting a constant drip of new content at decent prices. Looking at stellaris right now I have 450 hours with all the content bought. I've way more than gotten my money's worth out of it, and the fact that they keep releasing these new expansions is half of what gets me to come back. When I see a new expansion dropping I generally pick it up because that $20 is going to make me sink another 50 hours into it and that's a better money:time return than I get with a lot of full games.

Not everyone looks at it that way, though, and that's OK. Paradox is one of those studios who isn't exactly trying to make games that will appeal to every person out there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tomn posted:

I'll say this: Thinking about it, an anomaly pack is a really, really good addition to the game given that it's been a very long time since I've actually paid attention to any of the anomalies I've found, clicking through everything after taking a brief glance at the difficulty level and assigning the proper scientist.

Oh, look, another fart joke canister. Ho-hum, abandoned amusement park. Flowerpot in space, whoop-de-doo. Ancient mass driver, oh ho ho, Mass Effect. Oh, neat, this one gave me Living Metal, that's cool. Etc. etc.

I really wish more of the new anomalies took on the flavor of, say , the precursor projects. Those did a much better job of conveying the idea that there's a whole new weird, strange, alien world out there.

Yeah, I didn't realize how much i was doing this in the base game until my current playthrough of the star trek mod.

Reading the text and looking at the options to try to figure out how to keep Ahrmus from Tasha Yar-ing my level 8 science ship captain was :ohdear:

. . . he got eaten. RIP Andorian scientist dude.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Black Pants posted:

I did this and it's a pretty micro-intensive playstyle but really, really fun. I wound up filling four systems with my tiny habs before I got the Voidborne ascension perk and wound up in my first major war of the game when I'd only just finished expanding the platforms in my home system, and building a single Droid so I could build colony ships to pave over all these useless biospheres in my territory. Now I've got three systems full of bizzare syncretically-evolved sophonts who actually live in the loving dirt on god damned planets, and they like it.

I do feel like all of the literal slaves which I actually liberated should be a little less pissed about being Recently Conquered. All are equal in the eyes of the Reverend Elder of the Snailien Stellar Drift! Oh well, at least I came out of the war with enough fleet power to swat leviathans with only 4-6k minerals worth of losses and three max admirals.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

:woop:

Gonna set up a space amoeba sanctuary and/or ride them into battle.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Obviously using them as living spaceships is my number one wish, but I'd be happy as a xenophile species if I could just designate a sanctuary system for space whales (something with gas giants obviously) and keep them safe from the various space assholes out there. Same for Amoebas and crystals and poo poo. I want an option when boxed in by the crystal motherlode to be "make friends with it".

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This game has become very good, and I am excited to see it become even better in the future. The only game for which the "Paradox dlc bloat" meme could reasonably be said to apply is EUIV, and even then I think people exaggerate it (except for "Innovativeness" like how did that term even make it past an editor come on)

anyway did people ever figure out if glavius' mod was actually breaking parts of the ai or not?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, I didn't realize how much i was doing this in the base game until my current playthrough of the star trek mod.

Reading the text and looking at the options to try to figure out how to keep Ahrmus from Tasha Yar-ing my level 8 science ship captain was :ohdear:

. . . he got eaten. RIP Andorian scientist dude.

If you keep at it, you're in for a treat. There's a long, highly involved and as far as I can tell wholly original quest/event chain that opens up in that mod eventually.

I'm told that the Stellaris event system is actually super powerful and flexible, the base anomalies and events just don't make a whole lot of use of it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fuligin posted:

This game has become very good, and I am excited to see it become even better in the future. The only game for which the "Paradox dlc bloat" meme could reasonably be said to apply is EUIV, and even then I think people exaggerate it (except for "Innovativeness" like how did that term even make it past an editor come on)

anyway did people ever figure out if glavius' mod was actually breaking parts of the ai or not?

It was in the past but seems really good if not essential now. The main thing is that glavius is really active and passionate about the stellaris AI and will update the mod multiple times a day based on reports and improvements. Like if you report AI weirdness to glavius and have a good bug report he'll often reply back within an hour and thank you for finding a problem.