Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Hey Sheep, you rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
:)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
This is a shot from an 8x10 paper negative, darkroom printed to 16x20.

Lyola by Jason, on Flickr

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015

Shot on Tri-X 400, stand developed with Double D X.

This one's on Portra 400.

I've deleted my social media, so it feels so awkward with no immediate way to showcase my photos.

thedoorstopper fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 27, 2018

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

thedoorstopper posted:

I've deleted my social media, so it feels so awkward with no immediate way to showcase my photos.

bring it back and post every day

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

Heads up MF thread, I put a Bronica SQ-A kit up on the Buy/Sell thread.

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015

Tony Two Bapes posted:

bring it back and post every day

It's either that or my mental health, and I think I'll rather choose my mental health. :)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Austin by S M, on Flickr

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Redirect me if this is not the "ask questions" place but I've been itching to shoot film and I have access to a Rollieflex. What are some good places to source film from and recommendations of what to use?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
eBay, Portra 400

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

and Tri-X 400 for B&W.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Thanks guys, I picked up a few of each from B&H as the prices there seemed cheapest and shipping was quick (I take the camera this weekend so wanted to get something quick).

I fear this is another slippery slope to a lighter wallet... oh well!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

That neon glow.

Bull Creek by S M, on Flickr

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

McMadCow posted:

This is a shot from an 8x10 paper negative, darkroom printed to 16x20.

Lyola by Jason, on Flickr

What's the workflow like making a enlargement from a paper negative? Similar to a film-negative?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I’ve seen talk in here about developing your own film but saying for now I want to keep it simple where would you all trust to have 120 developed?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I’ve seen talk in here about developing your own film but saying for now I want to keep it simple where would you all trust to have 120 developed?

Depending on where you are, there may be a local option. Orlando has Colonial Photo & Hobby.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I trust different places for different types of 120 processing here in Vancouver.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

In the USA, send it to Citizen's Photo in Portland. Call them for details on how you can do mail order, it's not apparent on their website.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

ansel autisms posted:

In the USA, send it to Citizen's Photo in Portland. Call them for details on how you can do mail order, it's not apparent on their website.

Thanks! I found a company locally as well but they only do color film. Prices would likely be as cheap to send it out.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Thanks! I found a company locally as well but they only do color film. Prices would likely be as cheap to send it out.
Any place that only does color film isn't a real photo lab and can't be trusted.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Pondex posted:

What's the workflow like making a enlargement from a paper negative? Similar to a film-negative?

Similar, but it's a much longer exposure. The paper neg goes into the negative carrier on the enlarger emulsion down, just like a cellulose negative. Obviously paper is opaque, so the amount of light that makes it through to the easel is pretty minimal, but it does get there. The paper neg itself tends to be super contrasty, then the enlarger shooting through solid paper turns it all very flat. So you need to use a high contrast filter to get good results. Obviously all the contrast manipulation results in a lot of changes to the quality of the image, but that's the point. There's absolutely no silver grain at all, obviously, but there's some granularity from the paper itself that makes its way to the image.

Basically just shoot some 4x5 paper negatives and experiment with them on an enlarger. You'll be surprised at the quality that is possible.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've enjoyed shooting with my friends Rolleiflex so I bought my own. It's the cheaper T model, arrives today. Also found a local shop that will do both color and b&w developing.

Ugh film is super addicting. I am sure the first roll is going to look like hot garbage because ... well all of my stuff looks like hot garbage!

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

McMadCow posted:

Similar, but it's a much longer exposure. The paper neg goes into the negative carrier on the enlarger emulsion down, just like a cellulose negative. Obviously paper is opaque, so the amount of light that makes it through to the easel is pretty minimal, but it does get there. The paper neg itself tends to be super contrasty, then the enlarger shooting through solid paper turns it all very flat. So you need to use a high contrast filter to get good results. Obviously all the contrast manipulation results in a lot of changes to the quality of the image, but that's the point. There's absolutely no silver grain at all, obviously, but there's some granularity from the paper itself that makes its way to the image.

Basically just shoot some 4x5 paper negatives and experiment with them on an enlarger. You'll be surprised at the quality that is possible.

Sounds fun. I'll have to try it next time I'm in the darkroom. I've played around a little bit with photograms and contact-printing paper prints but never enlargements.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Eddie in the morning.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
I just got a good tax return back from the good ol Cananananadian government and I think I wanna take the plunge on a medium format camera. It's been something I've wanted to pursue for years after running around with my Canon AE-1.

Been scouting out Mamyia RZ67s on ebay for a few years now; seems the best deal is around 500-600$ CAD including shipping for at least a lens, 120 film back and a prism finder if you're lucky.

What was your first medium format? How do you feel about the RZ67, if you have one?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

indyrenegade posted:

I just got a good tax return back from the good ol Cananananadian government and I think I wanna take the plunge on a medium format camera. It's been something I've wanted to pursue for years after running around with my Canon AE-1.

Been scouting out Mamyia RZ67s on ebay for a few years now; seems the best deal is around 500-600$ CAD including shipping for at least a lens, 120 film back and a prism finder if you're lucky.

What was your first medium format? How do you feel about the RZ67, if you have one?

The RZ67 (a Pro II) was my first medium format camera and I loved it. I do not recommend the prism finder - it's ridiculously heavy. I think I used mine once or twice in five years of owning the camera.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

MrBlandAverage posted:

The RZ67 (a Pro II) was my first medium format camera and I loved it. I do not recommend the prism finder - it's ridiculously heavy. I think I used mine once or twice in five years of owning the camera.

Yeah the weight difference between the RB and RZ systems is a big reason why I was leaning towards the RZ. I'll keep it in mind and maybe save a couple dollars by avoiding it. Thanks for the tip :)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

indyrenegade posted:

I'm in Vancouver with a Pentax 6x7 as my first MF camera. I mention that I'm also in Canada because the only person in the western hemisphere that repairs them is in the states and it cost me $550 CAD to repair/CLA after taking it out in the rain carelessly for 30 min or so. I really like the process of using the 6x7 and I love the negative size which is obviously shared with the RZ67. I think if I could do this again I would go for a MF camera that is fully mechanical so I don't have the headache of it (the metering prism which was a huge bonus just stopped working). The camera is beyond heavy and I have 3 lenses for it. With those lenses and the body+metering prism in an older Billingham bag I would say it's almost 20lb on the shoulder. If you're a person who likes to walk around shooting it becomes a bit much and it makes you want to leave a lens or two in the car.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

indyrenegade posted:

My first medium format camera was the Hasselblad 500CM and it's perfect because I love squares. It's also fairly small and light for a modular MF SLR camera, as compared to the RZ67.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
My first was the Arax 88 CM-MLU. Since then I've picked up a few more MF cameras from 6x6 up to 6x9 but the Arax is still my go-to 'serious MF' camera. Like Alkanphel's Hasselblad, it's modular, not super heavy (especially if you use the WLF instead of the prism finder) and the P6 lens mount opens up a huge range of really good glass options. I've put hundreds of rolls through it and it has never let me down. It's about the same cost as those eBay Mamiyas but it's a new camera with a warranty.