Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Where can I watch these games !? (I'm not finding anything on Youtube, is it just that they aren't uploaded yet?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L3JiQeWHHY

I usually just search for "afreecatv" on youtube and it pops up.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
drat those were good games.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Wow!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Some really great games there. Shuttle's micro was particularly impressive.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

the atmosphere in the studio was so great too, it's a shame you can't usually hear the crowd going apeshit like that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Larva is probably the best zerg in the world right now.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
proxy hatch alert

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Rain made corsairs look like cheat mode in that last match.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Best vs hero showmatch

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

RO8 has started with kind of a bleh round of games. Game 2 seemed very suspicious.

I thought Shuttle would've played better than he did.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
loving rapid annoys me every time I see his face.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's PvP, half the games being fluky or BO wins seems right

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Even Artosis seemed pretty over his poo poo during the shuttle/rain match

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

He is almost totally blind to social cues. He actually does a better job when he's casting solo.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

The way Artosis says "yeeeahhh..." when someone says something really awkward or plain wrong is good to me

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Great series today! Sparkle was sparkle, but the other games were fun and good.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah, it was definitely a great series.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Yall have a link?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

eriddy posted:

Yall have a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pezx79kVWXc

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Just caught up with those GroupC matches from round of 16 :sbahj:

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
RO8 d2:

Mind lost the entire series off bad micro mistakes. He had some really good ideas, and his proxy factory on third world was ridiculously planned, but then he got almost nothing done with those vultures, and the 2nd one literally shot an egg and then got surrounded by lings while he wasn't paying attention.

Also, losing all those wraiths to the mutas while trying to be cute with micro put him in a hole he never recovered from. I just don't know what was going on with that because surely he could see he was getting shredded by the mutas.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it was still a really entertaining series

e: i suppose that's not terribly controversial

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Ro. 8 day 2 games were very good, I thought. It was *almost* like the quality of the old days' TvZ. Close enough matchup, I suppose, but I agree that Mind's micro wasn't sharp enough to pull out the win. Seeing Brood War mutas terrorizing Terran bases again is so refreshing after their weaker incarnation in SCII.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

pyromance posted:

RO8 d2:

Mind lost the entire series off bad micro mistakes. He had some really good ideas, and his proxy factory on third world was ridiculously planned, but then he got almost nothing done with those vultures, and the 2nd one literally shot an egg and then got surrounded by lings while he wasn't paying attention.

Also, losing all those wraiths to the mutas while trying to be cute with micro put him in a hole he never recovered from. I just don't know what was going on with that because surely he could see he was getting shredded by the mutas.

ABV: always build valkyries

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

LLCoolJD posted:

Ro. 8 day 2 games were very good, I thought. It was *almost* like the quality of the old days' TvZ. Close enough matchup, I suppose, but I agree that Mind's micro wasn't sharp enough to pull out the win. Seeing Brood War mutas terrorizing Terran bases again is so refreshing after their weaker incarnation in SCII.

I feel like when you are going into those builds, you should absolutely know where the strengths and weaknesses are. You know how good your own micro is, so whether or not to go for those games is more of a strategic decision.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Third World is a zerg favored map(see game 1 for why) so Mind may have felt that he needed to do something weird.

That was the one thing I didn't like about the series, the map pool as a whole was quite zerg favored.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

ABV: always build valkyries

He never had the resources to make an armory. Once those wraiths were super damaged, he was dead because he didn't have an operational second base. He spent all his resources from that point on on just remaking army and turrets.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

third world seems decent enough for a 'weird' map but as expected sparkle wore out its welcome in the ro24

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I think the zerg gas is just a little excessive. I don't even know if zerg needs another gas compared to other races when it comes to island maps now that people actually know how to control mutas.

Also, third world is insanely good, and it really seems like some people aren't quite sure how to expand on it yet. The games are only going to get better there imo.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Antares posted:

third world seems decent enough for a 'weird' map but as expected sparkle wore out its welcome in the ro24

I guess they felt compelled to come up with a way for players to win games against Flash, and this was the result.

It's just a pity all the other Terrans got caught in the crossfire.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Fanatic posted:

I guess they felt compelled to come up with a way for players to win games against Flash, and this was the result.

It's just a pity all the other Terrans got caught in the crossfire.

Nah, it's fine. Terran is a lame race for nerds.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually like Sparkle but it's absolutely awful TvZ. Third World is better there but I think it's still fairly significantly zerg favored. Transistor is slightly Zerg favored but it's fine and Gladiator is even, I think.

I have to say, I am excited to see if Flash can win a tournament on a map pool that basically reads "gently caress TERRAN", since as far as I'm concerned he's still the favorite.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Does anyone know how much gas the Zerg-only geysers have in them? 'Cause that seems like an obvious place to balance, crank it down so it's just a little boost to start instead of 'lol who needs to expand'.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Alternately, find a way to delete the Zerg-only gas on any start location that doesn't have a Zerg player. That way there's enough gas to survive early, but not quite as ridiculous an excess after taking another main. Though I imagine if this was possible with triggers, then it would have already been tried.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mini vs Larva was not a good series

Larva looked absolutely outclassed

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Elyv posted:

I usually look forward to Larva games but that series really disappointed.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Elyv posted:

Yeah, when I saw the runtime on the VOD, I thought for sure I was it was a ZvZ.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Corbeau posted:

Alternately, find a way to delete the Zerg-only gas on any start location that doesn't have a Zerg player. That way there's enough gas to survive early, but not quite as ridiculous an excess after taking another main. Though I imagine if this was possible with triggers, then it would have already been tried.

Triggers could do it, but they wouldn't work because the map must be made to run in Melee mode and triggers would require Use Map Settings.

Elyv posted:

Yeah, it looked like Mini had really done his homework on Larva's hydra-only play and completely demolished it. Larva really needed to try something different but didn't and got smashed every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Not sure how much you can read into this, but supposedly these are stats taken from sponsored matches on Sparkle and Third World.

I'm pretty sure a sponsored match is when two "progamer" streamers will play a best of X once they hit some donation goal. I don't watch their streams so I could be completely wrong and it includes everyone on Afreeca.