Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Two questions

1. How does the shape of a vessel affect how long it takes dough to rise
2. What do percentages mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Two questions

1. How does the shape of a vessel affect how long it takes dough to rise

1. Not at all; the dough simply has to double in size, roughly. It's more about the texture of the dough than anything.
2. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/handbook/baker039s-math

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They're all based off the weight of flour used in your bread.

i.e. when I make bread I use 1kg of flour, and with a 76% hydration that means 760g of water.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

1. Not at all; the dough simply has to double in size, roughly. It's more about the texture of the dough than anything.
2. http://www.thefreshloaf.com/handbook/baker039s-math

Thanks. What did they mean in this recipe then?

quote:

Several commenters have had trouble with the second rise, and this seems to be caused by the shape of the bowl they are letting the dough rise in the second time around. Two hours for the second rise is too long. If you don't have a 1-qt bowl, bake 3/4 of the dough in a loaf pan and bake the rest off in muffin tins or a popover pan — I recently made 6 mini loaves in a popover pan. The second rise should take no more than 30 minutes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Thanks. What did they mean in this recipe then?

That's pretty unclear, but I think he actually means size, not shape. Volume is volume.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's pretty unclear, but I think he actually means size, not shape. Volume is volume.

Hmm. Are you saying that size of bowl matters? That seems less likely actually.

The forces on the dough at the bottom of a hemispherical bowl will be different than a square or cylinder, not sure if that actually matters at home but for large enough scale it might.

Also the surface area and temperature gradient to the ambient temperature is different. Again, not sure if it matters.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

At least 3 grocery chains near me have all stopped stocking rye flour. Anyone know if there was a recall or something? My starter eats a lot of rye, and I'm almost out.

baquerd posted:

The forces on the dough at the bottom of a hemispherical bowl will be different than a square or cylinder, not sure if that actually matters at home but for large enough scale it might.

If you fold up your dough into a tight ball and put it in a bowl the bowl will support the ball shape and it won't relax as much as if it were in a flat-bottomed container trying to pancake, squandering a source of gentle TLC for your gluten

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 30, 2018

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

baquerd posted:

Hmm. Are you saying that size of bowl matters? That seems less likely actually.

Also the surface area and temperature gradient to the ambient temperature is different. Again, not sure if it matters.

It's not going to make enough of a difference to matter. Have you actually observed any influence on rising from container shape, given identical volumes?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's no good if it muffin tops

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's not going to make enough of a difference to matter. Have you actually observed any influence on rising from container shape, given identical volumes?

I know nothing about these differences, just pointing out possibilities.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

baquerd posted:

I know nothing about these differences, just pointing out possibilities.

Why would it be less likely that the size of your rising container doesn't affect whether your dough overflows the rising container than that the shape does?

To slightly (and I do mean slightly) simplify:

I have 2 cups of liquid that, upon agitation, will reach 200% nominal volume. When in a hemispherical or spherical container, it reaches 190% volume; when in a triangular or rectangular container, it reaches 210% volume. When I agitate this liquid in an unspecified container, it overflows. Is it more likely that I'm in the wrong shape of container, or too small?

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 31, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can you make no-knead bread with milk or does it go bad/mess with the fermentation?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Can you make no-knead bread with milk or does it go bad/mess with the fermentation?

Go for it. I usually recommend either using dry milk (or mawa powder if you want more of a lactic flavor) or scalding your milk first, since the milkfat inhibits gluten formation when raw. You want to bring the milk to a steam and then let cool. Or just buy milk powder, which works just as well, and is a really good ingredient to have around anyway.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Have any studies ever been done with bread and depression? Whenever I'm low and bummed, sometimes all I want is a fresh crusty chewy loaf, preferably a baguette, and when I eat it, I feel much more functional and better. It's not low blood sugar I think, I've usually eaten something beforehand, fresh bread is just the absolute ticket for me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Go for it. I usually recommend either using dry milk (or mawa powder if you want more of a lactic flavor) or scalding your milk first, since the milkfat inhibits gluten formation when raw. You want to bring the milk to a steam and then let cool. Or just buy milk powder, which works just as well, and is a really good ingredient to have around anyway.

Scalding the milk denatures enzymes that inhibit gluten, it's not just a fat thing. I've read that if you're really worried you should hydrate your milk powder and scald it too

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

poverty goat posted:

Scalding the milk denatures enzymes that inhibit gluten, it's not just a fat thing. I've read that if you're really worried you should hydrate your milk powder and scald it too

You're right and I should have mentioned that, but I'm unfortunately phone posting most of the time lately and I skip details.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

is there any reason it wouldn't be loving amazing to sub some of the milk in the milkbread w/ cold brew coffee concentrate and more milk powder?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is there a reason to make loaves round instead of loaf-shaped?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a reason to make loaves round instead of loaf-shaped?
if you're doing ~artisanal hearth breads~ or whatever you're shooting for that dank crust that won't happen against the walls of a loaf pan. And to that end you can proof a boule in a regular mixing bowl and bake it in a dutch oven without buying any specialized equipment that takes up space and is only useful for bread. A dutch oven is perfect for this and produces the perfect steamy environment without any steam wizardry so many people stop there

Everyone would be doing batards instead of boulles though if they weren't slaves to their dutch ovens. A batard has the crust and uniform slices and is pretty much the (bastard) king of bread shapes, but you've gotta steam your oven somehow (I bake on terracotta tiles, preheat with a brick in the oven, and steam the oven by pouring boiling water into a pan with the hot brick)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 5, 2018

augias
Apr 7, 2009

I ordered an oval banneton and didnt pay attention to the description and got an eensy weensy 10 inch by six inch baby banneton for baby loaves argh.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

augias posted:

I ordered an oval banneton and didnt pay attention to the description and got an eensy weensy 10 inch by six inch baby banneton for baby loaves argh.

You now have all the tools required to build a throne from tiny loaves of bread. DO NOT WASTE THIS OPPORTUNITY.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

MrYenko posted:

You now have all the tools required to build a throne from tiny loaves of bread. DO NOT WASTE THIS OPPORTUNITY.

Haha real funny. Look pal i need bigger loaves for bread gundam cosplay

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

poverty goat posted:

if you're doing ~artisanal hearth breads~ or whatever you're shooting for that dank crust that won't happen against the walls of a loaf pan. And to that end you can proof a boule in a regular mixing bowl and bake it in a dutch oven without buying any specialized equipment that takes up space and is only useful for bread. A dutch oven is perfect for this and produces the perfect steamy environment without any steam wizardry so many people stop there

Everyone would be doing batards instead of boulles though if they weren't slaves to their dutch ovens. A batard has the crust and uniform slices and is pretty much the (bastard) king of bread shapes, but you've gotta steam your oven somehow (I bake on terracotta tiles, preheat with a brick in the oven, and steam the oven by pouring boiling water into a pan with the hot brick)

Is there a more noob-friendly way to steam an oven?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Well a dutch oven and a spray bottle is probably the easiest? Otherwise it's boiling water in another pan in the oven, I don't think you can get much easier than that really.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Using a lidded dutch oven is about as newbie friendly as it gets. I don't find it to be a huge compromise, I've gotten great crusts with a dutch oven. If you don't have one, pouring boiling water into a metal pan at the bottom of the oven when you put the bread in is probably the next best/easiest thing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Popular steam methods are:
cold pan with water put in after peheat but before loaf. Works OK, you have to preheat a bit more due to thermal shock.
hot pan with rocks/bricks/whatever preheats with oven. Pour water in when placing bread, works wellish.
Pan with wet towels. Works well but ruins towels.
Spray bottle the hell out of the oven when placing the loaf. Works poor.

For the last two years I've had an oven that would not hold steam so I had to use a clay baker or dutch oven which is no fuss at all.

For your earlier question you'd also want to bake a round loaf if you wanted the most crumb.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Popular steam methods are:
hot pan with rocks/bricks/whatever preheats with oven. Pour water in when placing bread, works wellish.
Spray bottle the hell out of the oven when placing the loaf. Works poor.

I combine these two usually. Spray bottle is mostly placebo but it makes me feel like i'm doing something

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Does bread made with rapid-rise yeast and a single rise taste different from bread made with active dry yeast and two rises?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Me brushing butter on crust that turned out dry

https://giant.gfycat.com/FluffyBigheartedIridescentshark.webm

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Got 50 lbs of top shelf flour and I couldn't be happier with the initial results. It made the best pizza crust I've ever taken out of my own oven, and I made some bread with half whole wheat and some amaranth and it came out too wet from soaking the amaranth and fermentation ran away from me because spring is here but it handled being wildly overfermented like a champ without any tearing or stickiness or obvious loss of gluten structure in the crumb. Also it's loving delicious. I'm a fan of the flavor of the amaranth in the crumb but it's weirdly hard and crunchy in the crust. A+ will bake again

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 14, 2018

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My wife is making pretzels. She had the dough rising in the oven and I didn't so when I turned it on to preheat for dinner. It spent about ten minutes or so in there as the oven got to 350.

Is it likely ruined?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If the dough got above 110 so probably

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of...good pretzel recipe anyone?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Do you need to do mixing/kneading different when you're using a stand mixer? When I try kneading after all the ingredients are mixed it seems to really tax the machine

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Pretty happy with this loaf! 1/4 of it disappeared already, but here's the remaining 750g. 75%ish KAF AP, added some dry milk, wheat germ, vital gluten, honey. Leavened with sourdough starter, 12 hours in a cold garage then baked after a final proof.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Do you need to do mixing/kneading different when you're using a stand mixer? When I try kneading after all the ingredients are mixed it seems to really tax the machine

That means that your machine isn't up to mixing that much dough of that stiffness at that speed.

nwin posted:

Speaking of...good pretzel recipe anyone?

I've only ever made Hamelman's pretzels, but they were great.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I think I'm going to attempt the Hokkaido Milk Bread with Tangzhong this coming week. I've added all the ingredients (and the appropriate bread loaf pans) to my shopping list. I love the french farmhouse loaves I get from the basic Flour Water Salt Yeast recipes but I'm interested in trying something totally different.

Any advice about that particular recipe, things to look out for?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Kenshin posted:

I think I'm going to attempt the Hokkaido Milk Bread with Tangzhong this coming week. I've added all the ingredients (and the appropriate bread loaf pans) to my shopping list. I love the french farmhouse loaves I get from the basic Flour Water Salt Yeast recipes but I'm interested in trying something totally different.

It's going to be a pretty gloppy, sticky dough. Also, make the roux well ahead of time and cool it completely to room temperature.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Just experiment. Unlike cake baking it's hard to go too wrong with 🍞 aside from undersalting. Throw a roux thing in a normal loaf you make with milk too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That means that your machine isn't up to mixing that much dough of that stiffness at that speed.

But it was only a single loaf's worth at the lowest speed :eng100:

When I say "taxing the machine" I mean that the tone of the motor would get lower and it would slow down slightly when the dough hook sank in the furthest, and the back of the stand was warm at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb! Repetition posted:

But it was only a single loaf's worth at the lowest speed :eng100:

When I say "taxing the machine" I mean that the tone of the motor would get lower and it would slow down slightly when the dough hook sank in the furthest, and the back of the stand was warm at the end

I think a little of this is pretty normal, particularly for lower hydration doughs. If it were to start grinding, smoking, or halting, that would be a big concern.