Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
That's right near the Mac OS 9 to OS X transition. If you want to run OS 9, get a G3, either one of the beige boxes that have ports for older Mac peripherals, or an iMac or one of the blue towers with USB. If you want to run early OS X, get one of the later model G3s or a G4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I would say grab an iMac or an iBook if you want to be extra saucy.

I'd be concerned about your year range, though. Early to mid 90 was the (6080? 680?) Years, followed by the PowerPC architecture from like 97 on.
I dont remember if PowerPC macs were backwards compatible (they must have been, right) but i know that my dumb Performa couldnt run the PPC programs.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

oohhboy posted:

This is fairly new from Ars Techinica about old-ish games. Its a sort of focused post mortem of an individual bug or system that broke a game or made a game. The first episode is absolute gold as it isn't strictly a programming issue but was approached as one. The results aren't much different from the techbro "Algorithms will fix everything but no humans".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNxJVTJleE

dat rat tail. :allears:

Oh Richard, your dad was cool and a lot of your games were cool. Why are you insisting on this look.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still have one of the first complete PPC machines sitting in the garage somewhere. It was my second computer after a 386, both hand me downs from a relative that did professional work on them. They still use Mac for that purpose. That pretty much got me hooked on Macs as PC was just a hassle to use. It was showing it's age around OS9 which seemed great compared to the dog that was OS8. I remember it running OSX but it just didn't have the RAM to do anything other than load up. It was the first computer I used to get on the net too.

Still have a G3 400 DV orange gumdrop which I later OC'ed. Watched many good DVDs on that. Then I had a flower head G4 before I sold/gave that to my sister. Now I am on my 2nd Hack and have a Macbook pro on the side.

PPC Macs are compatible with 68K code on iirc an emulation layer. I don't remember ever having trouble with it pretty much like the PPC - intel transition with Universal or FAT binaries. Don't get a Proforma, they suck.

As the others said, G3(OS9)/G4 is a solid choice for that period. Plenty of power to run just about anything for it. OS9 G3 should still have 68K support.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TotalLossBrain posted:

dat rat tail. :allears:

Oh Richard, your dad was cool and a lot of your games were cool. Why are you insisting on this look.

This dude is such an over the top videogame industry bigshot stereotype. He has a loving pipe made of a taxidermied wolf's head.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I miss when software had cool codenames complete with splash logos. Loading up Adobe Dark Matter on Microsoft Neptune made it sound way cooler than it actually was.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Winamp 5 was so good that they skipped a version.

But I think I've read that the Windows 9 and compatability issues with Windows 9x is a myth.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Star Man posted:

I think I've read that the Windows 9 and compatability issues with Windows 9x is a myth.

It is. There's no Windows API function that would return "Windows 9". The version functions would return "Windows NT x.xx".

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sweevo posted:

It is. There's no Windows API function that would return "Windows 9". The version functions would return "Windows NT x.xx".

But aren't Windows 95 and 98 different beasts from Windows NT, which didn't really unify with the home consumer line until Windows XP (or was it ME)?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

But aren't Windows 95 and 98 different beasts from Windows NT, which didn't really unify with the home consumer line until Windows XP (or was it ME)?

Not really.

And it was XP. ME’s equivalent was 2k, which was extremely good.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

kinda, there really wasn't a concept of .net back then and it was all com objects and a dark and terrible time.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Not really.

And it was XP. ME’s equivalent was 2k, which was extremely good.

Which made the ME debacle even worse. 2000 was great, I used that as a main OS until 7 was stable.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I had a Performa and also suggest a G3 or 4. They're easy as hell to find too.

In non-Mac news, how rare is this?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

I had a Performa and also suggest a G3 or 4. They're easy as hell to find too.

In non-Mac news, how rare is this?

If you haven't already bought it, I wouldn't buy it. It's a fixed-focus f/15 lens, CHRIST, I didn't even know they sold them that slow. Basically it would have only been able to take good pics on a sunny day. You also have to do some annoying respooling of 120 film in order to shoot it.

In general, the old Kodak cameras aren't worth much, at least not for anything beyond decorative value. They were mass produced lowest-common-denominator things and I don't know of anyone who shoots one (I know plenty of people who shoot film, just not Kodaks)

Edit: if you're thinking of getting it for decorative value, I wouldn't pay more than maybe $10-15.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you haven't already bought it, I wouldn't buy it. It's a fixed-focus f/15 lens, CHRIST, I didn't even know they sold them that slow. Basically it would have only been able to take good pics on a sunny day. You also have to do some annoying respooling of 120 film in order to shoot it.

In general, the old Kodak cameras aren't worth much, at least not for anything beyond decorative value. They were mass produced lowest-common-denominator things and I don't know of anyone who shoots one (I know plenty of people who shoot film, just not Kodaks)

Edit: if you're thinking of getting it for decorative value, I wouldn't pay more than maybe $10-15.

Yeah that's kinda what I figured but I'm a sucker for the old design of that stuff. I left it behind, I've already got enough stuff considering I don't own my place... Appreciate the confirmation though!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Flipperwaldt posted:

There was a version where it would auto-hide menu options you didn't use frequently (hidden behind an extra click on show all or whatever, not, like, gone), which was the worst. Could turn that off though.

Didn't know customizing Office menus went as far back as 4.x

I do customize my Firefox menu options heavily, so I'm not opposed on principle.

I was a designer on the Office UX design team in 1997 or 1998 when this idea was presented by a coworker at a weekly team meeting

I was like "This is a terrible idea" but didn't give enough of a gently caress to campaign against it and make enemies. Things had become backstabby at that point

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is probably impossible to answer but what “killed” the old internet? By that I mean what was the major cause of ya going from sites that looked like your typical text heavy geocities site to what we have today. Flash?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
CSS was a big game changer

Edit: Also broadband becoming cheaper and more available in the early 2000s

Cat Hassler has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Apr 23, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Empress Brosephine posted:

This is probably impossible to answer but what “killed” the old internet? By that I mean what was the major cause of ya going from sites that looked like your typical text heavy geocities site to what we have today. Flash?

Web 2.0 hit and all of sudden every site needed javascript doing all kinds of crazy poo poo. That plus CSS getting really powerful.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

I'd like to recommend everyone hit up archive.org and check out what your favorite websites looked like circa, oh, 2005-2006. I think sometime between then and maybe 2010 we started to see the emergence of web frameworks. Once you had options beyond PHP and Perl, people seemed to build more complex sites.

looking at these old sites makes me sad because they were very functional and useful and even sorta usable over a bad connection. I've worked to make my personal site small and javascript-free while still working nicely on all devices but that's an incredibly small drop in a huge ocean

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That version of the internet might not have looked as nice, but it worked really well. I kind of miss it. Some websites now won't load a spec of content until you enable javascript.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Keith Atherton posted:

Don't forget 'xmlhttprequest', which started as an oddball IE extension and turned out to be a great way of making a webpage interactive without needing to refresh the entire page itself or rely on some browser plugin.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Keith Atherton posted:

I'd say broadband enabling more content heavy pages, as well as a general growth and maturation of web design.

Its worth noting that the Useable Web also had its kruft. MIDI jukeboxes/bgm, later Java applets that made water ripple. Frames...

Flash was really the awkward middle school uears of the web.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Empress Brosephine posted:

ajax and broadband

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

wordpress actually allowing amateurs to make decently engineered sites helped a lot, too

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There was a time in the early 2000s where every loving website was just an impossible to navigate Flash object. It drove me nuts because all I had for internet browsing at the time was an old garbage computer and dialup.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'd say it the end of the old internet came about with smarty phones.

Up until the iPhone, you had to have a computer attached to an internet connection in order to even get on to the internet, so it really was an activity that required a dedicated time and space, which most people would rather do something else (or spend money on something else).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There was mobile internet before the iPhone, friend.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Not really, at least not as we think of it today.

vvv Eh, it's common hyperbole. Just like how people say Twitter didn't really exist until 2013, it did of course, but not like it does today. vvv

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Apr 23, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Not really, at least not as we think of it today.

True, but he said that there was NO internet on phones before the iPhone, which is wrong.

E: his quote is,

quote:

Up until the iPhone, you had to have a computer attached to an internet connection in order to even get on to the internet, so it really was an activity that required a dedicated time and space, which most people would rather do something else (or spend money on something else).

That's all I was commenting on.

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Apr 23, 2018

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

True, but he said that there was NO internet on phones before the iPhone, which is wrong.

Like the Danger Hiptop, the Palm Treo, all that Helio stuff, and the terrible webaccess I could use for sports scores on espn.com using the Moto RAZR that made Cingular mistakenly give me a ridiculous internet access deal that I maintained from my iPhone 2G until my iPhone 4 or 5.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Grassy Knowles posted:

Like the Danger Hiptop, the Palm Treo, all that Helio stuff, and the terrible webaccess I could use for sports scores on espn.com using the Moto RAZR that made Cingular mistakenly give me a ridiculous internet access deal that I maintained from my iPhone 2G until my iPhone 4 or 5.

I have a kyocera 6035 in 2002 which everyone made fun of me for because it was so much bigger than their flip phones. But I had email and text only internet at 14.4 with unlimited date.
The internet was surprisingly useful in 2002ish in text only at 14.4.
It was also the last smart phone I owned that was a pretty decent phone.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

There was a time in the early 2000s where every loving website was just an impossible to navigate Flash object. It drove me nuts because all I had for internet browsing at the time was an old garbage computer and dialup.

There used to be some art blogs (k10k, surfstation, etc.) that linked to Flash- heavy sites made by folks who usually had a big-rear end intro with all kinds of Designer’s Republic inspired animation and sound, and when the spectacle ended, there was something like a “coming soon” that of course never arrived.

The running joke was that they were on version four of the site and version five would arrive sooner than the actual content, and half of their portfolio would be wallpapers that looked pretty cool but still, wallpapers.

All of that stuff is gone. It was a more quiet time and I sometimes even miss it.

However, you also didn’t have a tracking panopticon, or lovely comment sections, or a dopamine rush Skinner box. Even though the older web had higher prices for storage and bandwidth, you could get stuff for free without having to leave your entire social network footprint.

These dead gay forums are still my preferred format for long-format reading and discussion. Few other places manage it without gamification or utter discouragement (Facebook’s tiny textboxes, Youtube’s character limits). It does however require more effort from moderators and they will of course never do their jobs right - but IMHO still vastly preferable over an algorithm that you can’t bargain with at all.

Imagine if say, reddit, started applying machine learning per user to figure out exactly what someone would want to see, effectively creating a perfect filter bubble, but everyone could still post. No more upvotes required. This already happens with FB and Youtube of course, but textual discourse is still safe.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There was, but it was garbage. The iPhone really forced people to not make terrible mobile sites

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Webdev in Australia was fun. At best everything was 56k so many many hours spent trying to optimise image heavy sites with sliced images and dark arts.

Flash made things miserable as that was nigh impossible to get working happily on everything. We had an Emac that we used as the benchmark machine to play back flash video.

Action script made stuff worse as it encouraged bad coding habits so with whatever you saved in filesize with not keyframing everything you lost in speed if things got complex. And they did with the rise of XML databases to compete with web 2.0.

And the rise of CMS sites, which had been around for a while with some template sites being around in 1998. (freeservers)

It seemed to boom around 2005 with clients wanting their own customisation to be done in house to save having up call up the web dev. So blog like websites emerged such as wordpress along with sites like Weebly and Squarespace.

Early mobile websites either tried to load a site with no images to save data/speed or were stripped down mini sites.
As you had no easy way to navigate if you didn't have a phone with a touch screen or jog wheel, menu items were kept to a minimum.

It's only been recently that we've moved into adaptive design that scales and keeps functionality to almost be 1:1.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Laserjet 4P posted:

However, you also didn’t have a tracking panopticon, or lovely comment sections, or a dopamine rush Skinner box. Even though the older web had higher prices for storage and bandwidth, you could get stuff for free without having to leave your entire social network footprint.

There are a few simple steps you can take to help with that. Just install an extension or two like Privacy Badger or Cookie Auto-Delete and you're already ahead of 99% of the population. To do even more, you can turn on first-party isolation, install a canvas-fingerprint blocker, turn off WebRTC and WebGL, etc. Before you know it you've gone mad and you're spoofing your user agent, running NoScript, and routing all your connections through a good VPN. By this point your friends might think you're a little weird but the advertisers don't know what the hell to think of you because they can't track you anymore.

It'd be off-topic to get much more in-depth than that so I'll just leave a link to privacytools.io which is full of info to get you started on the road to a good healthy paranoia of the Internet. :tinfoil:

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Grassy Knowles posted:

I was gonna say the Palm Treo. I had a Sprint one that had pretty much full internet way before the iPhone. I still have it in a box somewhere. I had video, old school emulators, and a camera with video too. That thing did most of what modern phones do but in a clunkier old school form.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Can't remember the model but the last true Nokia with the full keyboard and the screen that popped out to a slant and could run the full internet? That was the poo poo and I still kinda want one...

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

jojoinnit posted:

Can't remember the model but the last true Nokia with the full keyboard and the screen that popped out to a slant and could run the full internet? That was the poo poo and I still kinda want one...

The N97?

I konw the N900 and a few others had a slide out keyboard but the angle reminds me of the N97 and N97 Mini. I actually have both an N900 and N97 on my desk at the moment awaiting new batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Humphreys posted:

The N97?

I konw the N900 and a few others had a slide out keyboard but the angle reminds me of the N97 and N97 Mini. I actually have both an N900 and N97 on my desk at the moment awaiting new batteries.

Looks about right, though I honestly don't remember the model number anymore. Just the wow factor of that screen and the idea of a full computer in your pocket... :allears: