Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Something that has long annoyed me in horror movies: If you are somewhere and things are progressively getting weirder and weirder and you have the opportunity to just leave and go home, just do it. 1408 is an example where he could have still escaped if he had just left with the air conditioning guy,

Air conditioning guy was probably a ghost.

I like Insidious because they move once things get really intense but but it makes no difference because the house wasn't haunted, their son is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

FreudianSlippers posted:

Air conditioning guy was probably a ghost.

next thing i know you'll be telling me samuel l jackson wasn't actually in his minibar. I'm not buying it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

He only tried when it was too late. There is clearly a window of time when you can get out considering they do a turndown service once a month or whatever it was samuel l jackson said - not everyone who enters the room dies. I get that john cusack wanted to say in haunted rooms but he clearly didn't really believe in it and was just in it for the money, so once there was even a hint of a real ghost he should have got the gently caress out and made the rest up for the book.

He went in alone with the purpose of pissing off ghosts he was hosed the second the door closed. If I recall correctly SLJ says the staff work in pairs just to avoid ghosts.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Something that has long annoyed me in horror movies: If you are somewhere and things are progressively getting weirder and weirder and you have the opportunity to just leave and go home, just do it. 1408 is an example where he could have still escaped if he had just left with the air conditioning guy, but the current example is "Last Shift". It's just a job, once you start seeing ghosts and stuff don't call your supervisor asking what's going on, just get the gently caress out of there. By the time they think of doing that, whatever the thing is is too powerful and won't let you. Leave when you can.
Something you need to realize is that there are movies where someone definitely goes ' gently caress this I'm out' and they inevitably meet some horrible end to convince the main character they can't just leave at that point for whatever reason.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
They just don't make movies about the people smart enough to leave.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I'm surprised no horror movie has tried to go past just found footage and used social media as a framing device.

Or maybe they have an I just haven't heard of one yet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
MarbleHornets?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Canemacar posted:

I'm surprised no horror movie has tried to go past just found footage and used social media as a framing device.

This one does both? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfriended
It's bad! What a surprise!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There was a funny Cracked video making fun of haunted house tropes where the joke was that the ghost wasn't what made the house unbearable, but the husband's lovely brother. They all end up moving out to escape him, and the ghost comes with them because she can't stand him either. Unfortunately I can't find the video to post.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

BioEnchanted posted:

There was a funny Cracked video making fun of haunted house tropes where the joke was that the ghost wasn't what made the house unbearable, but the husband's lovely brother. They all end up moving out to escape him, and the ghost comes with them because she can't stand him either. Unfortunately I can't find the video to post.

I know your whole thing is digging up really obscure media, but I just can't believe in a funny cracked video.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Canemacar posted:

Nerve kinda does this badly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

On the Joel mchale show Joel stands there in this weird slumped over way that annoys me

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

oldpainless posted:

On the Joel mchale show Joel stands there in this weird slumped over way that annoys me

He's been doing that ever since Talk Soup on E! and I have no idea why

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
He has lovely posture and is aware of it, he jokes about it sometimes on his twitter, which I would share if my company werent dicks who blocked twitter.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

synthetik posted:

Nerve kinda does this badly.

Nerve only did one good thing

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Nerve only did one good thing

Nah, those motorcycle handlebar mirrors are really cheap and vibrate all around. Never trust vehicle parts from ebay that cost less than $10. I've had them myself and they are bad F-- would not buy again.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I know your whole thing is digging up really obscure media, but I just can't believe in a funny cracked video.

maybe by funny he meant smug and irritating

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Sony spent millions making a Venom movie and had the lead scientist lady not know how to pronounce "Symbiote".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's not a real word, they can pronounce it however they want.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Yeah but they’ve been pronouncing it one way in all other forms of media for 25 years so it is irritating, especially for the target audience of these movies.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Haha, what? Symbiote is definitely a real word.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Haha, what? Symbiote is definitely a real word.

Nope. When you're talking about two organisms in symbiosis, they're each a symbiont. Symbiote was invented for the comic.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Uhm ok well ACTUALLY all words are made up anyways so

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's pronounced "sword".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I was pretty sure it was like gif.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Nope. When you're talking about two organisms in symbiosis, they're each a symbiont. Symbiote was invented for the comic.

While your post is correct on most points, "symbiote" is in fact a valid alternative word for a symbiont. It's in the dictionary and everything.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Jedit posted:

While your post is correct on most points, "symbiote" is in fact a valid alternative word for a symbiont. It's in the dictionary and everything.

"Symbiote" is the French origin, first used in 1889. However, it wasn't added to the English dictionary until quite recently, and all definitions of "symbiote" simply point to "symbiont." All medical dictionaries I can find either omit it, or redirect to symbiont as well. I have a feeling popular culture (Symbiote appeared in comics in 1984) had some sway in getting that reference added.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
BOOYAH

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm just happy sony pictures was able to scrape together a few bucks for some cgi in the new trailer

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I pronounce it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Dredd Kay steals Anderson's gun, turn it against her and takes her to Ma Ma. But Anderson knows that only she can use the gun without it blowing up and she's a powerful telepath who previously hosed Kay up so much that he wet himself. So why does she let Kay threaten her with her own gun?

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 16:51 on Apr 24, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I don't understand making a Venom movie. The only reason I can think of is that Sony wishes it was the 90s again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gaunab posted:

I don't understand making a Venom movie. The only reason I can think of is that Sony wishes it was the 90s again.

All we know about it is it has Venom and we just got a look at the costume. Isn't it a bit early to judge?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Alhazred posted:

In Dredd Kay steals Anderson's gun, turn it against her and takes her to Ma Ma. But Anderson knows that only she can use the gun without it blowing up and she's a powerful telepath who previously hosed Kay up so much that he wet himself. So why does she let Kay threaten her with her own gun?

Because it's pressed against her head and if he pulls the trigger it will explode.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

rydiafan posted:

Because it's pressed against her head and if he pulls the trigger it will explode.

And she forgot her helmet.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gaunab posted:

Because he's a popular character and was done very poorly for Spider-Man 3. Not that Sony has done a bang up job with Spider-Man themselves.

Basically every character is getting film representation now. It's a matter of time before we finally get Moon Knight or whatever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GoldStandardConure posted:

And she forgot her helmet.

Isn't it a point that the helmet interferes with her telepathy? I swear that comes up.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's a matter of time before we finally get Moon Knight or whatever.

I wish.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Doesn't he basically twist her arm so that she's pointing the gun at her own head? So if he pulls the trigger he's using her own finger to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

marshmallow creep posted:

Isn't it a point that the helmet interferes with her telepathy? I swear that comes up.

Yeah. It also hinders her primary weapon, which she didn't lose throughout the movie.