Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Totally not a fake review written by a shill using an alt account.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ugh, there is always one on that sub which will jump to insults instead of debating the topic. Its rather depressing. I recognize that name as well, i think i've had a similar encounter with him...

Me: Makes point
Them: Starts insults
Me: Oh dear

They don't make the SC community look very nice and friendly.

As for the OP of that thread, must have had a sheltered gaming experience if they have never joined a game and had someone show them the ropes. Its pretty normal in my experience.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Someone post Dave Huxley's "bookmark this post."

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Peter.Quint posted:

Yo Derek,

without sarcasm, hope you're well, warlord.

This place needs more Derek, needs you back.

Just got to stop doxxing people, bro.

Just let that sleeping dog lie buddy. Took long enough to get rid of his white noise.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Colostomy Bag posted:

The immovable force verses a buffet.

the austin incident.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

X-Ultron posted:

Someone post Dave Huxley's "ban from the official forums"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

X-Ultron posted:

Someone post Dave Huxley's "bookmark this post."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

That post misspells "grifting".

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Steampunk LOL

(thanks Pgabz you are the best)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Krycek posted:

Uhh, don't these cpus all run the x64 architecture? Why does he think there's been some major arch advancement in recent years?

Just to be pedantic and clear (cause that's what this thread is all about); instruction set extensions come out all the time and if there are optional code paths to take advantage of them, they can actually improve performance.

Not that this is what's going on here, ofc. Star Citizen is just a poorly optimized piece of garbage.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Krycek posted:

Totally not a fake review written by a shill using an alt account.

Nah, he's real enough, he's just coming into this cold, and that's the current turnover that SC is really into now. The curious person that wanders in, pledges and doesn't check actual progress until much, much later. The danger is assuming that everyone knows what you know, or is capable of making a valued judgement based on their experience. Poe's Law also runs for the wide-eyed newborn.

He might actually be swayed with the idea that this is never getting VR, considering he's coming off an Elite and SkyrimVR kick. Hey, this is never getting VR; they took out TrackIR a while back.

SoftNum posted:

Not that this is what's going on here, ofc. Star Citizen is just a poorly optimized piece of garbage.

And I'd be surprised if it uses all available cores equally and doesn't just partition them out.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 23, 2018

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hav posted:

Nah, he's real enough, he's just coming into this cold, and that's the current turnover that SC is really into now. The curious person that wanders in, pledges and doesn't check actual progress until much, much later. The danger is assuming that everyone knows what you know, or is capable of making a valued judgement based on their experience. Poe's Law also runs for the wide-eyed newborn.

He might actually be swayed with the idea that this is never getting VR, considering he's coming off an Elite and SkyrimVR kick. Hey, this is never getting VR; they took out TrackIR a while back.

It sounds like someone looking at what's in the game, and then making something up that could've happened. There's no way this actually happened as described. (unless we're leaving out a CTD every 5 minutes or something)

Hav posted:

And I'd be surprised if it uses all available cores equally and doesn't just partition them out.

tbh most game engines still struggle with this. That's why Intel still beats AMD in game performance, cause ghz is king in gaming. Never let it be said we are unfair to SC (oh wait they say that anyway. lol)

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

Quavers posted:

Planet tech 2.0

:bang:

MAGA

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

That one has really aged well, like a fine wine....

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

intardnation posted:

the austin incident.

A day that will live in infamy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

tbh most game engines still struggle with this. That's why Intel still beats AMD in game performance, cause ghz is king in gaming. Never let it be said we are unfair to SC (oh wait they say that anyway. lol)

It's one of the technical bits that I'm actually interested in, is how you harness the core power in terms of games. The short answer is that you don't at the moment, the slightly longer answer is that most things converged on the 4 cores of the consoles and have ignored the rest.

I ended up dropping my gaming machine from a six-core to a higher speed four-core because It was simply idling 2 of the cores. Again, not of that matters for a crowd that will often simply compare numbers or unrealistic metrics rather than, say, coming up with a test that provides a coherent method of comparison. SC is largely about a political leaning towards the axis of Chris Roberts doing no wrong rather than being anything else, so you tend to get political arguments.

edit: Re the shill thing; they are actually giving their streamers PCs as golden handcuffs. You don't have to heft a brick very hard to hit payola there. The danger is the brick hits a 'civilian'.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 23, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

It's one of the technical bits that I'm actually interested in, is how you harness the core power in terms of games. The short answer is that you don't at the moment, the slightly longer answer is that most things converged on the 4 cores of the consoles and have ignored the rest.

I ended up dropping my gaming machine from a six-core to a higher speed four-core because It was simply idling 2 of the cores. Again, not of that matters for a crowd that will often simply compare numbers or unrealistic metrics rather than, say, coming up with a test that provides a coherent method of comparison. SC is largely about a political leaning towards the axis of Chris Roberts doing no wrong rather than being anything else, so you tend to get political arguments.

edit: Re the shill thing; they are actually giving their streamers PCs as golden handcuffs. You don't have to heft a brick very hard to hit payola there. The danger is the brick hits a 'civilian'.

Sounds like you got the AMD letter.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

oh god this thread is still alive

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Lladre posted:

Satellite Reign is free on Humble for a day or two.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/satellite-reign

drat i remember uplink it was the poo poo. Is this one still all hacky or is it fps matrixy combat stuff?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Colostomy Bag posted:

A parp that will parp in parpfamy.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: GamerMax is back with more thoughtful gaming journalism as the game terraforms itself...

I can see why Luke Pressley said it would be premature to build planetary race tracks at this point. The bodies themselves aren’t just in flux between patches but even between play sessions...

I feel kind of bad for him, despite his conflation of all critics who aren’t him as HATERS. He’s trying to find an angle that can allow him to be a Star Citizen Content Creator and hit his 1000 subscribers target yet doesn’t really know what it should be. He’s kicked the hornet’s next of Zealots by being critical in the past and kicked the hornet’s nest of critics by raging against Haters so he’s kind of a man without a country wandering around a moon without a stable surface map...

Where to go? Who to be? What to say?

:iiam:, man. But as a general rule, blurry condescension isn’t an endearing quality in a youtuber. It may be the lingua franca of subreddit Zealots (“you don’t understand game development”) but streamers and “Star Citizen Content Creators” need warmer patter or sharper sabers.

I like a lot of the streamers when I catch some of a stream. I generally like Twerk, Astropub, Captain Richard, Mitauchi, DaGaimez and even find ‘Saurus’ acidic bluntness hilarious sometimes. ( “Detective Saurus is on the case! Let’s go do this lovely mission...” was :lol::lol::lol: and :five::five::five all in one.)

GamerMax’s big problem seems to be a very unfortunate mix of both overconfidence and insecurity. If you’re going to stick with sneering condescension, then commit to it and stop caring what people think because it only works with 100% commitment to the IDGAF way. But if you want to connect with and build an audience, then stop preening, sneering and lecturing. Stop assuming you’re the smartest guy in the room and have the decency to grant some dignity to those with differing opinions. Either embrace Zealotry and prepare for the Haters or dial back your positivity bias and move to the Middle Ground.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 23, 2018

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Any recent legal drama worth looking back over the past 50 pages for?

Im assuming no new ascii art has been posted either. Maybe if derek comes back hell post some.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Tnuctip posted:

Im assuming no new ascii art has been posted either. Maybe if derek comes back hell post some.

No, it's a desolate wasteland

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tnuctip posted:

drat i remember uplink it was the poo poo. Is this one still all hacky or is it fps matrixy combat stuff?

I don't really know. It was free, so it went into my Steam library of games I haven't played yet.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Tnuctip posted:

The judge ruled against cig's motion for protection from skadden's discovery request. But then he said since it's just "early discovery" cig isn't actually compelled to do anything they don't want to do. Only that it's "highly encouraged" so as to expedite the process later.

Citizens declared victory, that this is good for star citizen and that crywrekt should post their balls.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

I really hope so.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

No matter what fork you take at the road...this whole thing will lead to disapointment.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
Mortbens fork

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh my god something happen please

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

No matter what fork you take at the road...this whole thing will lead to disapointment.

Recalculating......

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Asema posted:

oh my god something happen please

Maybe post a meme, that should be fresh.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

Maybe post a meme, that should be fresh.

Make it an anime meme. THAT would be best.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Guess I should have postulated Lesnick's Fork law or something.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

DapperDon posted:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Maybe we should resume gun talk.

Jobbo, what’s a good starting pistol for a newbie in Canada?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

NO!

Bad gun talk, bad, bad!

How about discussing the best type of sandpaper to help with a real good rubbing?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

DapperDon posted:

Can I get a crobear 6er please beet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Tnuctip posted:

Not related to that Uplink. This is a spiritual successor to Syndicate.