Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Matt Zerella posted:

Im assuming you've tried the Butcher Block? Or trekked up to stop and shop?
I feel like the Butcher Block or the old scary Eastern European lady butcher would special-order it for like $10+/lb, but it seems like it should be in line with other similar cuts at like $1-3/lb. I haven't seen it at my beloved Food Bazaar, but I haven't looked at Stop & Shop yet, thanks!

It just seems weird that I live in Queens, I can get any other bizarre specialty cut, I can buy tripe or tongue or entire square yards of straight-up skin, but pork shank isn't at some ethnic market for pennies???

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Don't think that I have ever seen a cross cut pork shank. Hocks, sure.

Osso bucco is veal though, which is harder and harder to find anywhere in general.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm not looking for veal specifically, I'm fine with adult pork. I do see "porko bucco" or other braised pork shanks on menus sometimes, so they're available commercially, but just not at grocery stores??? Even googling just tells me about restaurants where I can order it. Maddening.

(I'm not quite enough of a weirdo to show up at the kitchen entrance of one of those restaurants and ask if they can hook me up. YET.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not looking for veal specifically, I'm fine with adult pork.

Wait, what?

Veal is calf. A young cow. Osso buco is veal shanks. It's not pork of any age.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Doh, sorry, I had a brain fart and was thinking veal (which I haven't cooked with) was young pig. I am looking for oink rather than moo.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have a good IP Osso Buco recipe? It sounds good and I shouldn't have a hard time finding the veal shanks around here.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That's how this derail started

VERTiG0 posted:

My favourite thing to do in my IP is osso bucco. Forget taking hours and hours to cook it. Make a nice mirepoix, sautee it, toss your osso bucco in and let it ride for 30 mins at high pressure. Serve over a heavily parmesan-laden polenta and blow your wife's mind.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Anne Whateley posted:

That's how this derail started

That's not really a recipe as much as it is a beginning to one. I was hoping for something with what spices to use and what amounts. I've never made it before even conventionally so I need an entire recipe.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trastion posted:

That's not really a recipe as much as it is a beginning to one. I was hoping for something with what spices to use and what amounts. I've never made it before even conventionally so I need an entire recipe.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/osso-buco-italian-braised-veal-shanks-recipe.html

Replace the hours in the oven with the said, aforementioned 30 minutes under pressure.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anne Whateley posted:

I feel like the Butcher Block or the old scary Eastern European lady butcher would special-order it for like $10+/lb, but it seems like it should be in line with other similar cuts at like $1-3/lb. I haven't seen it at my beloved Food Bazaar, but I haven't looked at Stop & Shop yet, thanks!

It just seems weird that I live in Queens, I can get any other bizarre specialty cut, I can buy tripe or tongue or entire square yards of straight-up skin, but pork shank isn't at some ethnic market for pennies???

Shank is starting to get expensive, I think.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My apologies if I derailed the thread. I don't have a pressure cooker specific recipe, I just took that Serious Eats recipe and adapted it for my Instant Pot.

You don't need veal to do it, I've done it with normal beef cross-cut shanks many times with great success.

Anne Whateley posted:

Where do you get the shanks though? I live in NYC so you'd think there'd be a place to get normal shanks -- they're selling the whole rest of the pig, right? -- but the only ones I can find are like Whole Foods–level expensive.

I get my beef shanks at my local tremendously overpriced rural grocery store but somehow they only charge $1.99/lb for them.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 1, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
No, it was totally my fault for derailing with my shank lust :love:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What's the best way to cook polenta in a pressure cooker without burning some to the bottom of the pot? I reduce the heat to the bare minimum to just get a trickle of steam once it comes up to pressure, but I still get some that burns to the bottom. Should I keep the heat lower while bringing it up to pressure, instead of full-blast? I think that would work, but I don't want to overcook it and it'd probably take forever to get it up to pressure.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I made some Pork Shoulder for pulled pork in my smoker this past weekend but due to time and my smoker running to low of a temp I had to put it into the IP for a bit. Came out great tho and it's awesome to know I can do that if I ever need to again.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Instant pots are great for the tough cheap meats. Put 2-3lbs in for 45 - 60 min with some onions and spices and you got pulled/shredded meat that would normally takes at least 8 hours in a slow cooker

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

slave to my cravings posted:

Instant pots are great for the tough cheap meats

Besides pork shoulder got any especially good recommendations?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snowy posted:

Brisket, for sure.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Lamb shoulder is one of my fav cheap cuts I get it for a song from a halal butcher

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Beef chuck is good though you may need to remove some of the fat/connective tissue depending on how much there is otherwise it can be too much fat. Chuck is good for stews or stroganoff.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

KozmoNaut posted:

Brisket, for sure.
I want to try brisket in my IP at some point, but the briskets I see at the local grocery store are way too big to fit. I guess you just do a half at a time (and, in my case, probably freeze the other half)?

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

We did a huge slab of corned beef. It took over an hour, close to an hour and a half, but drat was it tasty.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Incoherence posted:

I want to try brisket in my IP at some point, but the briskets I see at the local grocery store are way too big to fit. I guess you just do a half at a time (and, in my case, probably freeze the other half)?
Maybe I'm spoiled by my local Publix, but will the meat department not cut and repack it for you?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Snowy posted:

Short ribs, corned beef, random-rear end beef chuck and brisket are all easily cooked. Sear what you can and toss it into a chopped veg + red wine/tomato sauce reduction, add some liquid (need at least 1/2~1 cup in the pot to cook), and you’ve got yourself a nice stew after 45 min~1 hr.

Beef shank completely melts after 40~50 minutes in the pot, though you may want to remove the tough connective tissue around the outside. If you cook it long enough that too breaks down, but if it doesn’t it’s super gross.

Curries and soups involving chicken thigh are dead simple.

You can do ribs, though you’ll prolly want to finish them off under the broiler with a rub/sauce painted on. Make sure to pat them dry before painting anything on.

I made beef and barley stew recently with beef shank, white onion, chopped celery, and carrots with some beef stock and some paprika+cumin+sazon Goya spice mix. Came out delicious.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 8, 2018

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

What is the best recipe for instant pot yogurt. I bought some whole milk and 5% plain Fage yogurt. The recipes I’ve seen so far seem a bit complicated so I’d like to hear input from goons.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

What is the best recipe for instant pot yogurt. I bought some whole milk and 5% plain Fage yogurt. The recipes I’ve seen so far seem a bit complicated so I’d like to hear input from goons.

I'm making some right now! After poking around on the internet, I've slimmed the recipe down to this:

1) Leave your milk out to get it closer to room temp, 1.0-1.5 hours works for me
2) Dump in IP, press yogurt bottom till it shows "BOIL"
3) chillax! I usually give it a single stir maybe 30-45 minutes in, but this is not really necessary. You want it to come to approximately 180°F
4) once the IP beeps that it's done, you can check with a thermometer, and if it isn't around 180 use the saute feature while CONSTANTLY stirring, to warm it up
5) take out the IP inner bowl and put it in the sink surrounded by cold water
6) stir that sucker, checking till the temp is down to approximate 110°F
7) once it hits 110, take it out of the sink, dry it off, put it back in the IP
8) put your starter yogurt in a bowl or something and temper it with a couple big spoonfuls of the heated milk, mix it up so it's mostly smooth
9) toss the starter-milk mixture in the IP, stir it up reeeeaaaal well
10) press the yogurt button till it displays a time, I usually set it for 8 hours, and you're good!

The longer it cultures in the IP the tangier it gets. After the see amount of time (I've seen anywhere from 8-14hr), open it up! Stain it to your desired thickness, I do a minimum of 2 hours for Greek yogurt consistency, and booyakasha you have yogurt!

I've been making parfaits with it lately, so good. A spoonful of damson plum jam, and a good helping of granola, and you have a perfect breakfast :bubblewoop:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Sweet thanks for the recipe. I’ll give it a shot this weekend. Any thoughts on best starter yogurt? I figure fage will be fine but curious if you tried any that were bad. Do you use cheesecloth to strain?

Also, how long will this keep/how do you store it?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sweet thanks for the recipe. I’ll give it a shot this weekend. Any thoughts on best starter yogurt? I figure fage will be fine but curious if you tried any that were bad. Do you use cheesecloth to strain?

Also, how long will this keep/how do you store it?

I use fage, the 5%!

I bought a fine mesh bag strainer off of Amazon, this one to be precise.

Can't tell you how long it keeps cause my partner and I go through it so fast :sax:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

America's Test Kitchen has a really interesting way to make gumbo. Instead of making the roux on the stove and stirring constantly for 30 minutes, they just put the flour in a pan and place it in the oven for 50 minutes. You just need to stir occasionally to break up the clumps but it's way easier than slaving over it on the stove. While it's in the oven you can just brown your chicken thighs and cook down the trinity vegetables. I actually made some extra roux in the oven and it will last a long time if you just put it in an air tight container.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m pretty sure making brick roux in the oven is fairly standard. Never done it myself, but that’s how I’ve always heard it being made.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oven roux is definitely a thing, but the ATK method doesn't add oil. They just straight up dark toast a bunch of flour. I'm gonna be making my biannual giant batch of gumbo in a week or two, so was planning on trying a small batch done the ATK way to see how it is.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah they toast the flour then make roux.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh gotcha. Didn't realize they don't have you making the entire roux in the oven.

Which raises the question, why not add the fat then? Why toast just the flour?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
The one I remember reading just mixes dry toasted flour in to cold stock, no fat.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

does browning the flour somehow stop it from being clumpy/gritty then?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm making some right now! After poking around on the internet, I've slimmed the recipe down to this:

1) Leave your milk out to get it closer to room temp, 1.0-1.5 hours works for me
3) chillax! I usually give it a single stir maybe 30-45 minutes in, but this is not really necessary. You want it to come to approximately 180°F
4) once the IP beeps that it's done, you can check with a thermometer, and if it isn't around 180 use the saute feature while CONSTANTLY stirring, to warm it up
8) put your starter yogurt in a bowl or something and temper it with a couple big spoonfuls of the heated milk, mix it up so it's mostly smooth
10) press the yogurt button till it displays a time, I usually set it for 8 hours, and you're good!

The longer it cultures in the IP the tangier it gets. After the see amount of time (I've seen anywhere from 8-14hr), open it up! Stain it to your desired thickness, I do a minimum of 2 hours for Greek yogurt consistency, and booyakasha you have yogurt!

I've been making parfaits with it lately, so good. A spoonful of damson plum jam, and a good helping of granola, and you have a perfect breakfast :bubblewoop:

this is pretty much the same thing I did when i was on a greek yogurt kick. I am pretty sure I posted some info and pics up thread a bit.

I made homemade fruit compote in the IP too that I then used to make my parfaits. So good but it is actually a lot of work and takes up a big chunk of refrigerator space while straining. I just used cheesecloth but if I decide to do it again I will buy one of those strainers made for it.

edit: Here is the post with my pictures in it. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704340&userid=39683#post472596061

edit #2: If you make it remember to save your own starter. Take a cup or so of your finished product and put it into a freezer ziploc or something and toss it in the freezer. Next time you want to make some just thaw that out and use it as your starter. Rinse and repeat. Some people use a large size Ice Cube tray to freeze the starter in cubes and then throw them in a ziploc.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 9, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Johnny Truant posted:

This is needlessly complicated.

1) Dump milk in IP, hit Yogurt button on IP until it says boil, wait until it beeps
2) After beeping, remove the lid, hit the Yogurt button again for boiling but let it go for another five minutes
3) Remove inner pot, let it sit until it hits 115 (30 - 40 minutes or so)
4) Ladle ~1 cup of milk into a mixing bowl with two tablespoons of active yogurt, stir it up, scrape back into inner pot
5) Replace inner pot in IP, set on yogurt function for 8 hours
5)(b) If you prefer thicker yogurt, put in a strainer after cooking

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

does browning the flour somehow stop it from being clumpy/gritty then?

You make it into a slurry by mixing it with 2 cups of chicken broth then add it to the main pot. The pot should already have 2 more cups of chicken stock, vegetables, and meats cooking. The main difference is that ATK recommends putting in the roux mixture near the end of cooking.

You can watch it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHVUFKSdy4

It definitely doesn't look traditional. It's way thicker than the ones I've had at restaurants and they use about double the roux of most recipes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

You make it into a slurry by mixing it with 2 cups of chicken broth then add it to the main pot. The pot should already have 2 more cups of chicken stock, vegetables, and meats cooking. The main difference is that ATK recommends putting in the roux mixture near the end of cooking.

You can watch it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inHVUFKSdy4

It definitely doesn't look traditional. It's way thicker than the ones I've had at restaurants and they use about double the roux of most recipes.

That's how we in the midwest make gravy.

a gravy gumbo

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
You make gravy with baked flour and no fat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

flour slurry into meat juice