Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

acksplode posted:

Yeah the combat is amazing, it's like it was created for me. I hope it gets mercilessly ripped off and the next wave of character action games have the same tight camera

Update to Hellblade with GoW combat please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Radish posted:

I like this game but I don't think I've ever seen a bigger disparity in cutscene and gameplay power levels.

In the cutscene Kratos is jumping fifty feet in the air and slams a rock the size of a van on a dude before tearing a giant's head off after being smashed into a hole the ground and shrugging it off. Then when I start controlling again I need my child son to get up a ten foot wall so I can climb up a chain before a zombie that takes me about five big hits to kill murders me in two.

The game is fun and I'm really liking it but man is cutscene Kratos a much more powerful guy than the one I control.

Kratos is basically the Hulk. The angrier he gets the stronger he gets. Unless something triggers him or threatens Atreus he is strong but not STRONG.

Likewise the prequel comic shows him spending all his time trying to suppress his rage so that probably had an impact on his fighting strength. Just look at the very first fight with The Stranger. Gets his rear end handed to him until Atreus is put in danger then poo poo gets real.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Over There posted:

I went into the R2 cut-scene kill with the last enemy on the "challenge tower" with three seconds left and it still said I failed. I want my money back.

happened to me too, theres a later one that you gotta kill guys while they're within the rings and the executions invariably carry them out of the goddamn ring, dont use them

apart from in the regen challenge, then you basically can only use them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is there a way to dodge that Valkyrie swan dive in the secret Alfheim area where she keeps wailing on your rear end?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boogalo posted:

Really annoying me: camera still follows things even when you're not locked on and its driving me loving mental.

Fun game though.

I don't mind the soft lock-on, it just feels awkward with how slow the camera pans when you move it yourself imo.

Also I was up until six in the loving morning playing this game and I dearly wish I had a job I could easily call in sick to without feeling guilty.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can turn off the lock-on by pressing R3 again. Moving the R stick horizontally and reclicking will also reset your current priority target.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think the poster meant the soft lock on the game does without hitting R3. I honestly find it super useful for quickly targetting a flying mob in a crowd so I can mash BOY.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I can’t wait to start a god of war difficulty play through, but I’m waiting until I beat it first

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ll have to do that. I normally don’t care about hard difficulty in games but in this I’m compelled to try it.

GreatGreen posted:

I love the combat system. Love it.

Yes it’s not as razor sharp as a Souls game but it is sharp enough to feel fair and brutal as all hell. The three combat modes (if you count Spartan Rage) are all fantastic and equally fun to switch between. I don’t think slinging my axe around the battlefield at orbital re-entry speeds while I kick rear end with my fists and a shield will ever get old. Every single hit feels absolutely crushing.

I can’t remember the last time a game’s combat system made me grin like an idiot so much.

This is my favorite combat ever tbh I wanted to hold off on the BIG STATEMENT nature of that but nope I’ve never had this much fun with combat in a game. It feels so awesome and it has a wonderfully organic approach to playing it how you want vs playing pure Rock Paper Scissors with every enemy. The boy has this balance of being an awesome passive party member + being something you can micromanage a little and get a lot of success out of.

The sound design is like 50% of it too. Jesus Christ every normal punch sounds like it could take down a brick wall. Everything in this game sounds unreal though. I’ll have to dig through and find if they’ve done behind the scenes on the audio work because it’s loving insane.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Axe combat is fun and good but I’m genuinely having more fun throwing it at someone and then beating them to death, the unarmed combat is very good

Although the stupid axe aerial combo is hilarious :allears:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I can’t figure out the world serpent’s voice.

Like what the hell did the sound people do, from start to finish, to make that noise come out of my speakers. It is easily the most insane voice I’ve ever heard in any medium ever. Goddamn.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 23, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

GreatGreen posted:

Like what the hell did the sound people do, from start to finish, to make that noise come out of my speakers. Goddamn.

I was using headphones and it was probably the most intimidating experience ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never heard such a successful attempt at making something sound absolutely gigantic.

I'd listen to an audiobook read by the world serpent.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve genuinely never felt so tiny/insignificant in any other game or movie or anything.

The set piece with the dead giant does something similar but isn’t quite the same as having a giant serpent bellowing through your bones from 50 feet away.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea, it's hard these days to find moments of pure spectacle in (console)gaming. A lot of the time, as someone who's played most AAA games that have come out in the past 15 years, it can feel like I've seen it all and there's nothing that can knock me back in my seat anymore. The double whammy of the turtle and the world serpent really made me feel like a kid again though, just an epic sense of scale that very few games have been able to pull off.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I loved when Mimir describes the world serpent, saying something like ”once you get past the initial shock, he’s actually a sparkling conversationalist” :allears:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So I haven't played any GOW since the first for no reason since I really enjoyed the first. Can I just jump on this one or would I at least benefit from picking up the III Remaster on PS4 first? I'm not dealing with PS Now ridiculousness for the earlier games.

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch but I skimmed the first few pages and didn't see it and didn't want to go too far so as to not spoil myself.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thumbtacks posted:

Axe combat is fun and good but I’m genuinely having more fun throwing it at someone and then beating them to death, the unarmed combat is very good

Although the stupid axe aerial combo is hilarious :allears:

Yeah, I’ve using the axe more as crowd control to freeze a guy and focus down he friends. Especially in (early lake of 9 spoiler) freezing a dude in the path of dragon fire

Chaotic Flame posted:

So I haven't played any GOW since the first for no reason since I really enjoyed the first. Can I just jump on this one or would I at least benefit from picking up the III Remaster on PS4 first? I'm not dealing with PS Now ridiculousness for the earlier games.

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch but I skimmed the first few pages and didn't see it and didn't want to go too far so as to not spoil myself.

Playing through without knowing much about the first trilogy is actually a viable way to do it. If you’ve played them you can view the game through Kratos’ eyes as just more poo poo that won’t leave you alone. If you go in blind you kind of experience it through Atreus’ eyes. You know your dad has done some dark poo poo but you slowly learn about it over the course of the game. Kind of like playing a video game version of Unforgiven.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 23, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Chaotic Flame posted:

Just make the jump to this one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

God loving drat this game has good sidequests. When the ghost asked me to smash a statue I didn't expect that two hour rollicking adventure.

Is it normal that I'm fighting level 4 and 5 enemies at level 2? The dwarves haven't sold me a new armour upgrade in ages.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
You level up really REALLY slowly, it seems. I’m still like level 2 and I’m in alfheim

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
is it me or is it really hard or impossible to Parry an attack if you're locked on to a different enemy than the one you're trying to Parry? it's driving me spare.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Thumbtacks posted:

You level up really REALLY slowly, it seems. I’m still like level 2 and I’m in alfheim

Level is tied to your gear level. Start upgrading!

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Playing through without knowing much about the first trilogy is actually a viable way to do it. If you’ve played them you can view the game through Kratos’ eyes as just more poo poo that won’t leave you alone. If you go in blind you kind of experience it through Atreus’ eyes. You know your dad has done some dark poo poo but you slowly learn about it over the course of the game. Kind of like playing a video game version of Unforgiven.

I really like this take on Atreus. I love how they weave Atreus progression into the combat and you feel like he is growing as progress in the story. This is the first game where I care a lot more my companions progress than my own.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Atreus has massively improved just in the time it took me to do the first realm and come back to Midgard. He was just plinking guys with arrows to distract them but now he's got upgraded arrows, a grapple movie, and he can summon a spectral wolf if I hold the button instead of tap it. He's extremely useful and it actually feels like we're teaming up on these guys.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Basebf555 posted:

Atreus has massively improved just in the time it took me to do the first realm and come back to Midgard. He was just plinking guys with arrows to distract them but now he's got upgraded arrows, a grapple movie, and he can summon a spectral wolf if I hold the button instead of tap it. He's extremely useful and it actually feels like we're teaming up on these guys.

The best is when he grapples a dude and you can do a windup for the heavy R2 attack and just wreck someone

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Is there a way to dodge that Valkyrie swan dive in the secret Alfheim area where she keeps wailing on your rear end?

You can roll evade it and you have to be pretty quick about it. I also suggest rolling backwards so you can keep her in view.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chaotic Flame posted:

I did this and the only thing it really did was make the 8 year game design jump more satisfying. In terms of plot, the only remotely relevant bits can be summed up in like a paragraph max:

GOW: Kratos pledges to Ares for power, gets tricked into killing his family. Pledges to Athena instead, kills Ares, becomes a god.

GOW 2: Zeus says "you're my son and also too reckless, I need to kill you." He fails to kill you and you fail to kill him, the latter because Athena throws herself into your fight and dies instead.

GOW 3: Zeus continues to fail to kill you and you eventually succeed after killing the rest of the greek pantheon. Athena's ghost helps you for awhile, but wants to become the new All Powerful God or whatever and only tells you this during the end cutscene, demanding that you give her the power you used to kill Zeus. You opt to release the power into the world instead, and you part ways with her royally pissed off at you but not really able to do much about it.

Anything else that ever becomes plot-relevant and wasn't retconned will be brought up explicitly, eventually.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

Like what the hell did the sound people do, from start to finish, to make that noise come out of my speakers. It is easily the most insane voice I’ve ever heard in any medium ever. Goddamn.

I have a pretty decent 5.1 setup with large speakers and subwoofer and the world serpent was inside my apartment. When I play through again on hard I'm gonna get a save right before scene that just to show it to people.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I'm going to go with what several others have said and say I prefer the combat without the hard (pressing R3) lockon. All the hard lockon ever did was frustrate me when I tried to change targets and it either wouldn't change, or it would change to an enemy I didn't want to change to.

Game works fine without it. If you find you aren't turning fast enough, you can up the horizontal pan speed of the camera. drat thing pans real quick when you push that slider all the way up.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
My favorite thing about the World Serpent could best be described as the game's full time audio mix is at like 60% then that thing is at 100%.

Like I was playing the game pretty loud and that fucker nearly blew out my windows.

I love it so much.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I appreciate that the parry window is wide enough that even a scrub like me can do it and feel awesome in combat.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

poo poo I didn't even realize there was an option

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I appreciate that the parry window is wide enough that even a scrub like me can do it and feel awesome in combat.

And you can easily get a talisman that makes the parry window wider.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Holy good lord this game just made me super emotional during the modi causing atreus to hulk out and have to been taken to freya section. Kratos body language while holding him and carrying him there was amazing. It’s storming real bad where I live right now so the solitary travel back to their home was surreal. And then the thing at the house happens ahhhhhh

GOTY every year forever

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Minor near-end spoilers: After Kratos mellows out and grows as a dad and talks to his kid and all that stuff, there's a scene in the realm travel room where Mimir is talking about the battle between the World Serpent and Thor being so epic it breaks time and sends Jormungandr back to before his own creation. Kratos, after spending a full game silently listening to stories from Norse mythology, finally says "That is nonsense."

Its the funniest line in the game.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Also I have to believe all those extra vowels in the World Serpent's language are semantically or grammatically important, not just him talking super slow, since Mimir does it too.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Finished the main story tonight, game is :perfect:
I'm a bit saddened that it isn't 200 hours long so it could tie up every loose end in the entire norse mythos but hopefully building the next game won't take another 5 years.
I guess there's only so much stuff you can fit into 45GB of data, and not a single bit of it was wasted on pre-rendered cutscenes :popeye:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like to think what the World Serpent says to you is "DID YOU BRING ME COOKIES? I SMELL COOKIES"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Kilometers Davis posted:

Holy good lord this game just made me super emotional during the modi causing atreus to hulk out and have to been taken to freya section. Kratos body language while holding him and carrying him there was amazing. It’s storming real bad where I live right now so the solitary travel back to their home was surreal. And then the thing at the house happens ahhhhhh

GOTY every year forever

The best part of that is the impatient pacing on the elevator up to the Freya's house.