Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Meallan posted:

So he two psychadelica games by Aksys haven't even been announced to come for Europe. Is this normal and should we expect them a week later like usual or is it bad tidings, anyone know?

https://twitter.com/aksysgames/status/986674036036911104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Well if they are releasing physical then digital is prob much sooner. I'm glad. Thanks for the link to the tweet. I don't know how I seem to always miss them.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I never thought Visual Novels would be my thing, but after playing Persona 5 and a friend recommending DDLC - I had a good time, so I wanted to try something different.

I've seen the name Higurashi come up a few times, so hey - why not go in blind?

:stare:

I'm on chapter 3, and there's only a couple left on Steam after this. There are 8 total right? Am I going to be stuck waiting for the remaining chapters to be released or is there a way to get the complete story? I'm not averse to watching the show if it covers everything, but I'm digging this format.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There's an old english release of the full 8 chapters that you might be able to find, but I think the translation quality is supposed to be not good, especially compared to the current steam release. The company doing the re-translation and steam releases (mangagamer) is kind of slow, but now that they are done with all of Umineko (another VN by the same people as Higurashi), the rest of the Higurashi answer arcs might get released on a faster schedule then before.

And while you are waiting for the rest of the Higurashi answer arcs, you can just read Umineko too (all 8 chapters for it are released on steam).

Also, there are voice patches for both games that adds the japanese voice acting and replaces the steam sprites with the PS3 sprites that you might be interested in.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Totally down for the voice patches, thanks! Umineko and House in Fata Morgana are next in line. I actually started HiFM tonight a bit to check it out since it's been so well received. At first I wasn't sold, but finished door 1 and now I'm hooked. Certainly wasn't expecting that.

Given what I've been playing, at first I thought that there had been a full-blown scalping. Which made the bedroom scene extra terrifying. So glad I was wrong!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Colorspray posted:

I'm on chapter 3, and there's only a couple left on Steam after this. There are 8 total right? Am I going to be stuck waiting for the remaining chapters to be released or is there a way to get the complete story? I'm not averse to watching the show if it covers everything, but I'm digging this format.
Supposedly MG plans on releasing the rest in this calendar year (Ch. 6 has been in "beta testing" for a while) so hopefully it won't be that much longer. Weirdly 6-8 were supposedly completely TLed and Edited a long rear end time ago but I can only imagine they were delayed due to Umineko 5-8 getting priority for a spell.

I've been looking forward to Higurashi 6 / Tsumihoroboshi for a lot because as good as the previous chapters are for the most part that one is a real banger.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ok. After getting my heart stomped on by Muv Luv Alternative, I need a break from huge 40hr VNs. After I'm done with a couple more, I'll go read Root Double.

Someone pick:

Ame no Marginal
Carpe Diem: Reboot
eden*
Hatoful Boyfriend
Her tears were my light
If my heart had wings
Juniper's Knot
KARAKARA
Kindred Sprits on the Roof
leaves
LoveKami
Lucid9
Nekopara
Never7
Once on a windswept night
One Thousand lies
Princess Evangile
The way we all go

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i pick kindred spirits

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

sidenote i heard if my heart had wings has a really bad translation so might wanna avoid that one

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Stexils posted:

sidenote i heard if my heart had wings has a really bad translation so might wanna avoid that one

There’s a retranslated fan patch for it now. It should be at least passable now.

I’ll probably go with Kindred Spirits. I forgot to mention I’d finished Sweetest Monster and woof, that’s a dark VN for sure. I need something light after.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Hatoful boyfriend, it’s mostly funny and a good palate cleanser

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kindred Spirits

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nate RFB posted:

Supposedly MG plans on releasing the rest in this calendar year (Ch. 6 has been in "beta testing" for a while) so hopefully it won't be that much longer. Weirdly 6-8 were supposedly completely TLed and Edited a long rear end time ago but I can only imagine they were delayed due to Umineko 5-8 getting priority for a spell.

I've been looking forward to Higurashi 6 / Tsumihoroboshi for a lot because as good as the previous chapters are for the most part that one is a real banger.

I pretty much only check this thread to see if Higurashi 6 is out yet. :(

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Hatoful Boyfriend.

I actually didn't care too much for it in the beginning, and was confused why so many people loved it.

By the end, after I got all the endings, I totally understood.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
You probably want to interchange your VN reading between Serious and Comedy.

Hatoful Boyfriend.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
If I remember the iPhone version of Hatoful Boyfriend, and maybe the updated steam version, has it so you don't have to unlock all the character endings before unlocking a bonus route, but I would still play through all the character routes before doing the bonus one.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I enjoyed eden.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Colorspray posted:

I never thought Visual Novels would be my thing, but after playing Persona 5 and a friend recommending DDLC - I had a good time, so I wanted to try something different.

I've seen the name Higurashi come up a few times, so hey - why not go in blind?

:stare:

Not at all a criticism, but playing DDLC as your first visual novel is a really weird choice.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its a weird choice whenever someone finds themselves playing DDLC, I agree.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

John Lee posted:

Not at all a criticism, but playing DDLC as your first visual novel is a really weird choice.

I think it's very common. DDLC got a lot of mainstream attention - whether deserved or not - and like Hatoful Boyfriend or Dream Daddy it would have been played by a lot of people looking for something different who would have no way of being aware of things like Fata Morgana.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i dunno a lot of the big popular VNs play off of genre conventions in one way or another so ddlc doesn't seem any worse a choice for that

unless you're saying it's bad which fair enough i guess i wouldn't know

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DDLC is also free and relatively accessible. You can finish it in the time it would take to read through the expository chapter in a lot of VNs.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its a weird choice whenever someone finds themselves playing DDLC, I agree.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Yeah, can't argue with that. Between "cheap as free" and hearing a ton of buzz on it, it didn't seem too outlandish to give DDLC a go. It's responsible for where I am today.

I'm more concerned by my decision to jump straight into Higurashi blind. After which I had told another friend of mine which one I picked up, the response was:

THAT one?!

He had apparently seen the show, and confessed that it was one of the more hosed things he had seen . I'm convinced I haven't seen the worst of it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think that's maybe overselling it a little bit, but you're not wrong in that you're quite a ways from the real depths.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Juniper's Knot is OK but it's actually a KN. Also, I see a lack of otome on that list that needs to be rectified <:mad:>

Here's some ideas:
Nightshade
Ozmafia
Hakuoki
Amnesia: Just date Kent

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Alder posted:

Juniper's Knot is OK but it's actually a KN. Also, I see a lack of otome on that list that needs to be rectified <:mad:>

Here's some ideas:
Nightshade
Ozmafia
Hakuoki
Amnesia: Just date Kent

The list was made from stuff I actually own right now. I'm generally not into Otome unless there's a good story that interests me.

Juniper's Knot being a KN is fine. I don't really separate VNs and KNs because it only means "I have to do the other routes" basically.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I've lurked in this thread and read the OP, and I hope it's okay that I'm putting a game that's hybrid sim and visual novel here. With light RPG elements. It kinda...doesn't fit anywhere.

Princess Maker 5 is coming out on Steam April 26th. Princess Maker 1, 2, and 3 are also already out. It's biased towards the sim aspect, but has a ton of content in the visual novel aspect, for instance there are 16 different characters that have events you can pursue, and 8 with endings. The side-scrolling RPG part is optional.
The base game is incredibly good, I've been playing it with auto translators and a fan patches since 2007, but the translation from the company, CFK, has been dodgy for the other 3, so please beware.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Catalina posted:

I've lurked in this thread and read the OP, and I hope it's okay that I'm putting a game that's hybrid sim and visual novel here. With light RPG elements. It kinda...doesn't fit anywhere.

Princess Maker 5 is coming out on Steam April 26th. Princess Maker 1, 2, and 3 are also already out. It's biased towards the sim aspect, but has a ton of content in the visual novel aspect, for instance there are 16 different characters that have events you can pursue, and 8 with endings. The side-scrolling RPG part is optional.
The base game is incredibly good, I've been playing it with auto translators and a fan patches since 2007, but the translation from the company, CFK, has been dodgy for the other 3, so please beware.

I played a bit of it with the partial fan translation. It is really fun. I'll probably pick it up at some point, although the translation is sure to be dodgy.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

MegaZeroX posted:

I played a bit of it with the partial fan translation. It is really fun. I'll probably pick it up at some point, although the translation is sure to be dodgy.

Yeah, I'm hoping that someone will be able to create a patch that overwrites the translation in the Steam version with the fan translation.
For instance, this is a screenshot of the official translation:

And this is the same scene in the fan translation:

A breeze intro :wtc:

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
is that actual machine translation being passed off as localization

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They wrote "breeze" instead of "breezy" and it reads awkwardly but that image is nowhere near as bad as machine translation would be.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Catalina posted:

Is this Single Mum Simulator 2000, or is that another Princess Maker game?

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 25, 2018

Catalina
May 20, 2008

FractalSandwich posted:

Is this Single Mum Simulator 2000, or is that another Princess Maker game?

This is Single Mum Simulator 2000! Princess Maker 5 is the one that lets you choose being a mother or a father. I've noticed differences in dialogue, as well as the daughter character giving you chocolates on Valentines Day if you're a dad, and flowers for mothers day. There are other differences in events that happen when she gets older.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Rad. I'm in.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

IIRC another bonus going for Princess Maker 5 also doesn't contain the creepy poo poo that the early games do.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
The downside, or upside depending on how you look at it, is that PM5 is way slower than the rest of games in the series. Days pass much slower than they do in the previous games, meaning that completing a game will take probably weeks compared to the few hours the old games took. This means replaying it to see lots of different endings and such will be a much bigger time investment. Of course, for some this is just another plus, and the game is much more fleshed out than the old titles.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I think PM5 is slower because it’s showing the result per hours? It’s been a while since i played it.

You can fast forward with control key or F3.

The game feel more organic and the art style is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I've been playing it recently with the fan patch, and yes, it is much slower, and that slow pacing is one of the few flaws it has, IMO. Visual Novel Database has it listed as Very long (> 50 hours).
Each day is divided into having 2-4 periods, which each period having it's own short animation that plays. On Sundays, you get a free day with your daughter, which you can use to either 1) go around town and choose a location to visit, for up to 9 times a Sunday, or 2) Designate the day for resting or free time. You'll have to use Sundays at least a couple times a month if you want her to maintain friendships with other characters and see events. The game attempts to balance this by having a lot of content over the years, and having the game be insanely reactive. There are animation skips and speed-up buttons, thank God, but the game is still very long.
Compare that to Princess Maker 2, which had one short animation a day, and one day a month to Talk, Shop, etc, and however many periods you designated in a row for adventuring, as well as occasional events, and you can see why it's so much more long. Princess Maker 3 had 1 long animation for each half a month. Princess Maker 4 I forget about the animations, but the "go out in town segment" was once a month instead of 4 times a month.
Honestly, in addition to the length, there's so much content that, I've been playing this game on and off for 10 years and have seen maybe half of it. I've never done magic classes, for instance, and yesterday I was looking through the Japanese wiki and found out that once a year your daughter, her friend, and the magic teacher will perform a seance and attempt to summon a spirit, and at level 7-10 magic skill be able to summon demons. So now of course I want to try that.

ETA: I'm not kidding when I say it has an insane level of reactivity. These are two screenshots from my recent playthrough, saved because they were funny. I had a daughter who was a tomboy (High athletics, low refinement), and when she hit that personality type, she started activities in her room like dancing, exercising, practicing martial arts and this...

Another time, I told her to that with manners, she should always be polite to elders when (I think) she had low logic, so that led to her saying this until her logic stat got higher:

:stonk:

Catalina fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 25, 2018