Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
She's a beauty, Clark!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Had to grab a new bolt for the stabilizer since the OTA bracket is deeper, but it handles just fine without it. She sees a lot of highway though, so it's nice to eliminate the slight wander that occurs from pavement ruts.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 17, 2018

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
General thoughts on daily driving an XJ if I can find one with reasonably low miles that hasn't been turned into some kind of mud machine? I drive maybe 2000 miles a year in a janky old 98 Civic HX with a CVT and lovely interior so I am looking to upgrade to a rolling box that can go over small humps. I'm an engine room guy on merchant ships so I spin wrenches for a living and want a wrenchable yet practical rolling box type vehicle.

Do XJs exist commonly in the wild that don't need new floor metal?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I daily drive a '99 XJ with about 218k miles now and love it. If you can get one from a state that doesn't have a lot of snow/ice or salt the roads then rust isn't an issue. I'm in the PNW and you could practically eat off the bottom of our cars they're so pristine. As a mechanic you'll be fine maintaining it too and probably love how much room there is to work and how cheap parts are to buy. I can't remember the last time I spent more than $100 on a single part. If you can, try to find one that's between 1997 and 1999 as those are the 'best' years--the interior and exterior had a mild design update, they tweaked the intake to increase power a bit, and generally had stronger axles stock. For a daily driver though it really shouldn't matter if you have a D35 vs. 8.25" rear end (mine has a D35 and is fine). The only trouble years to watch out for are 2000 and 2001 where they had some bad head castings that can crack.

Oh and all of them leak from the rear main seal... all of them. It's usually just a mild drip that you can live with for a long time. Also the front speakers might be kinda sketchy (the wires in the door are a known weak spot) and the power window buttons on the passenger doors might not work but could be an easy fix to replace the switch on the driver door (the lockout switch there is another weak spot with solder that cracks and breaks over time).

The only real downside to daily driving an XJ is the gas mileage. You'll get 13-16mpg no matter how you drive. But they have plenty of power and are pretty light compared to most cars on the road. Oh and don't even bother looking at 4 cylinder versions--just hold out and get the 4 liter.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm in an area that uses salt on the roads and I still see nice looking XJs for sale that have decent undersides. Lots that are completely rotted out too, but if you're patient I'd think you could find a nice one. It takes all of my self control not to buy when the nice ones pop up on CL.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Check my last post itt, I really like mine. Has plenty of gentle acoustics when rolling to put any baby to sleep as well. :discourse:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

always be closing posted:

Check my last post itt, I really like mine. Has plenty of gentle acoustics when rolling to put any baby to sleep as well. :discourse:

That thing is gorgeous!

Yeah I will keep my eye out, severe floorpan rust should be visible from underneath right? I mean obviously I guess if there are holes and stuff.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
I daily drive a 99 xj and yeah what those guys said

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I just bought an 01 with 231k miles for a daily. I get 13-16 around town and 18hwy out of it. Just keep an eye for maintenance history and rust when buying one.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

powderific posted:

I'm in an area that uses salt on the roads and I still see nice looking XJs for sale that have decent undersides. Lots that are completely rotted out too, but if you're patient I'd think you could find a nice one. It takes all of my self control not to buy when the nice ones pop up on CL.

I think it also has to do with floor mats. My Michigan XJ doesn't have anything beyond surface rust anywhere except the hole in the driver's side footwell. If it wasn't from me getting in with my boots covered in snow and then the water not being able to evaporate out of the carpet I would think the passenger side would match.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I had a MJ that spent it's entire life in SC. Was completely rust free.... Except for both footwells which needed to be cut out and replaced. The windshield and doors are all leaky, and AMC/Chrysler/Daimler could never figure out or care how to either fix that, or let the water drain out.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Chiming in to say my 99 XJ has been my favorite and least problematic vehicle I’ve ever owned. Daily driven for 6 years now and gonna do 6 more without batting an eye.

rally fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 22, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
XJ dudes: what kind of tool is needed to disconnect the lower trans cooler line from the radiator? I've got someone asking me because I've had jeeps, but the JK is the only one I've replaced a radiator on and its cooler is a separate unit.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Godholio posted:

XJ dudes: what kind of tool is needed to disconnect the lower trans cooler line from the radiator? I've got someone asking me because I've had jeeps, but the JK is the only one I've replaced a radiator on and its cooler is a separate unit.

depends which year. my 95 needed no tools, just pinched the tabs and slid it off. my 01 needs a disconnect tool that's found at most autoparts stores.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Like an AC disconnect thing? I assume it doesn't have visible tabs. I think it's a 99.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Godholio posted:

Like an AC disconnect thing? I assume it doesn't have visible tabs. I think it's a 99.

It more like the fuel line disconnect. Same tool I think.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Godholio posted:

Yep, fuel/AC discos work just the same. You can get the plastic discs (beware of cheap ones as some are too thin to push the tabs out far enough) or the metal scissor-wrench thingy that has two sizes, one on each end.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Godholio posted:

I sliced mine off (on my 99) and just put a small hose clamp over it. I had the special little tool (these things https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lisle-AC...3&wl13=&veh=sem )but after spending 40 minutes trying to get the drat thing off I was ready to be done with it. It hasn't leaked and I just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not leaking and is nice and tight.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 23, 2018

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Get the color coded anodized aluminum ones, the scissor ones are trash and so are the plastic ones mostly. 3/8 is the size you need for the trans cooler.

XJs that aren't rotten or cursed make great daily drivers.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Speaking of XJs, mines alignment is all hosed up, eating up my front tires, so I tried to get it aligned. They said my rear thrust angle is off, needs a shim kit. They want 600 bucks. I told them to pound sand. I suspect I just need to get a couple new ubolts. Thoughts?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

PadreScout posted:

Speaking of XJs, mines alignment is all hosed up, eating up my front tires, so I tried to get it aligned. They said my rear thrust angle is off, needs a shim kit. They want 600 bucks. I told them to pound sand. I suspect I just need to get a couple new ubolts. Thoughts?

Lifted at all? Solid axle alignments can be done in your driveway with a tape measure and some string. Shims are cheap, the labor is what gets ya. You'll have to figure how much angle you'd need.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Veeb0rg posted:

Lifted at all? Solid axle alignments can be done in your driveway with a tape measure and some string. Shims are cheap, the labor is what gets ya. You'll have to figure how much angle you'd need.

Desire to know more intensifies.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only things that can be adjusted on a stock solid front axle Jeep are toe and centering the steering. Toe you can do with a tape measure, steering center doesn't even need that.

XJs have leaf springs in back, right? Seems like the thrust angle should only be hosed if something is broken.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Veeb0rg posted:

It more like the fuel line disconnect. Same tool I think.

Philip J Fry posted:

Yep, fuel/AC discos work just the same. You can get the plastic discs (beware of cheap ones as some are too thin to push the tabs out far enough) or the metal scissor-wrench thingy that has two sizes, one on each end.

Thanks gang.

mod sassinator posted:

I sliced mine off (on my 99) and just put a small hose clamp over it. I had the special little tool (these things https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lisle-AC...3&wl13=&veh=sem )but after spending 40 minutes trying to get the drat thing off I was ready to be done with it. It hasn't leaked and I just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not leaking and is nice and tight.

This probably would've been the plan if it were mine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only things that can be adjusted on a stock solid front axle Jeep are toe and centering the steering. Toe you can do with a tape measure, steering center doesn't even need that.

XJs have leaf springs in back, right? Seems like the thrust angle should only be hosed if something is broken.

Yeah, thrust angle being off with an XJ means something is cocked up. Chassis, springs, axle, or something holding them together.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

gileadexile posted:

Desire to know more intensifies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NMkh_U4xmg < String Method - I used this method on an old VW beetle I had, worked great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QuuE3siR0c < Tape measure Method. You can use anything that's straight to replace the angle iron they use in the video, the method is the same. I know some guys just measure from inner lip of the rim and skip the angle iron.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Veeb0rg posted:

Yeah, 2 inch OME lift. The stock poo poo was nothing but rust and sadness. Adjustable JKS control arms top and bottom. Adjustable track bar. Otherwise unmolested.

also , yeah - coil front, leaf rear. 99 XJ. Been a great machine until i noticed it was furiously consuming my nice KO2s on the front.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 23, 2018

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

They most likely ment the pinion angle was in need of adjustment. if the thrust angle was off the back end would be all over the road.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 23, 2018

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Veeb0rg posted:

They most likely ment the pinion angle was in need of adjustment. if the thrust angle was off the back end would be all over the road.

Thrust. They were very specific, I also have the sheet from their alignment machine. I'm thinking ubolt must have slipped or a spring pin got bent or something. I'm going to try loosening the whole rig up and slipping it a little, tighten it back up. Drive well enough, just eating tires.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Doesn't seem like thrust angle should be eating front tires, though. How is the toe?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
.3 left -.03 right

edit: reversed those numbers.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 23, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What unit, inches or degrees? A factor of 10 difference between the two seems pretty drat wide to me.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Degrees

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Been a busy week with upgrades here.

First up was the UpDownAir Air It Up system. Allows all 4 tires to be inflated/deflated at once, automatically!

https://imgur.com/PsxPcSl

Then today was a big one.

Evo Spec King Adjustable shocks went on!

https://imgur.com/QejQ0qp

OMG these things are loving awesome. Completely whole new ride compared to the Bilsteins. The Bilsteins I thought were great, the Kings, are just another level. Can't wait to get them out to Windrock next month and really see what they can do.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

mattfl posted:

First up was the UpDownAir Air It Up system. Allows all 4 tires to be inflated/deflated at once, automatically!

That is pretty neat, I want one of those air compressors, but just imagined running around with a 25' air hose.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Moey posted:

That is pretty neat, I want one of those air compressors, but just imagined running around with a 25' air hose.

I did that before and it was such a pain in the rear end and knees lol

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
How hard was that install?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

PadreScout posted:

.3 left -.03 right

edit: reversed those numbers.

Reversed or not this means your tires are pointed slightly in one direction. I'm assuming it has a slight pull to the right. That would eat up front tires pretty well. Drag your fingers across the treads of the tire and you will see the way its wearing.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My clutch pedal started making a popping sound - the part that attaches/aligns the rod through the firewall has broken in half and now moves with the pedal being pressed. It has a lovely plastic body that broke, and it looks like there's a small foam seal that has been exposed, but it seems like it's still working fine aside from the popping sound. I had a shop replace the clutch master and slave a couple months ago and I'm hoping they'll be able to fix it soon but I'm just doing a sanity check - I should be able to keep driving this for a day or two without anything getting wrecked, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mattfl posted:

Then today was a big one.

Evo Spec King Adjustable shocks went on!

https://imgur.com/QejQ0qp

OMG these things are loving awesome. Completely whole new ride compared to the Bilsteins. The Bilsteins I thought were great, the Kings, are just another level. Can't wait to get them out to Windrock next month and really see what they can do.

Pretty awesome haul!

I had a bunch of my tools stolen recently, included was my Viair compressor, so I'll probably totally copy you and replace it with this setup. I wish there was a wheel/hub that supported CTIS for the jeep, too.

Do you know if this system is also compatible with a small/medium tank? I'd quite like a little tank air setup in the Jeep for faster airing and some air tool use.

tuna fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 11, 2018