Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I take student on certain late game hires, personally. It's pretty rare I need to hire a new ranged dude but they're the prime candidates, generally followed by dudes destined for front-line combat because the sooner I can get battle forged the sooner I can actually put them up there against honor guards/knights/orc warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Count Uvula posted:

I take student on certain late game hires, personally. It's pretty rare I need to hire a new ranged dude but they're the prime candidates, generally followed by dudes destined for front-line combat because the sooner I can get battle forged the sooner I can actually put them up there against honor guards/knights/orc warriors.

The way the math works out, the only perk Student helps you earn faster is the very last one - at the cost of being behind for most of the way there.

ED:
Reaching level 11 normally takes 15000 xp, but for a Student it takes the equivalent of 12500 (as they earn +20% xp). Level 10 is 12000 xp.

So, while they are earning levels (stats) faster, throughout their progression they're behind a Perk, only catching up at intervals from their faster leveling, until they reach a little over level 10 and get their Perk point back and are truly ahead finally.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 7, 2018

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Conspiratiorist posted:

The way the math works out, the only perk Student helps you earn faster is the very last one - at the cost of being behind for most of the way there.

Uhhh :confused: I think you should perhaps consider what effect student has before saying that because there's absolutely no way for it to delay you getting to a particular tier of perk if you're bringing the character to the same number of battles and getting similar kill counts. You effectively have one less perk total until level 11 but it definitely does help you get to higher tiers faster.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Count Uvula posted:

Uhhh :confused: I think you should perhaps consider what effect student has before saying that because there's absolutely no way for it to delay you getting to a particular tier of perk if you're bringing the character to the same number of battles and getting similar kill counts. You effectively have one less perk total until level 11 but it definitely does help you get to higher tiers faster.

Ah I see what you're trying to say: you prioritize Battle Forged so it doesn't matter if you've effectively sunk a Perk into the ether, because it still counts towards the tiers and you are getting to level 7 faster.

Yeah, I suppose it works for that. It's just 800 xp difference but every bit counts :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ah I see what you're trying to say: you prioritize Battle Forged so it doesn't matter if you've effectively sunk a Perk into the ether, because it still counts towards the tiers and you are getting to level 7 faster.

Yeah, I suppose it works for that. It's just 800 xp difference but every bit counts :shrug:

There's one more benefit to Student that only really applies for new players (which is why I recommend it in my guide):

If you're a total newb to the game it's one less thing to understand and one less decision to make. Just pick Student, move on.

Obviously that's less of a thing for most folks in this thread.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Another good thing about student is if you don't like the first-tier skills it lets you hang onto a skill point that you can use on higher-tier ones later. I usually end up with at least one first-level perk on my guys (recovery is just so good once you're fighting in heavy armour) but I can see the appeal of not having to sink a perk into one of the less valuable first-level ones. I take student on everyone, personally (except guys who suck and I know won't be around until level 11). It probably means I lose a few more low-level guys because they're missing a perk, but it also means my guys who survive hit each milestone faster. It's obviously a disadvantage early on, but I think it levels out in the mid-game because you'll have an extra level's worth of stat increases, and in the end it's all worth it when you get to pick two perks at the end to finalize your bro's build however you want.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's one more benefit to Student that only really applies for new players (which is why I recommend it in my guide):

If you're a total newb to the game it's one less thing to understand and one less decision to make. Just pick Student, move on.

Obviously that's less of a thing for most folks in this thread.

Yeah I'm obviously referencing that and I totally agree with you, it made it so I could focus on learning the rest of the game without worrying about skills. Now that I'm feeling a little more aware of what's to come I'm ready to start building guys in more interesting ways

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still take colossus on almost everyone because an early injury is basically a death sentence early on.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Has anyone installed Battle Brothers on Mac OS? I read that it would run under Wine, but I seem to have royally screwed up somehow.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I just got a warscythe before day 20 from a random event :stare:

I'm thinking of building one of my dudes specifically to specialize in swinging that thing around, he could pretty much dominate the midgame. What perks would be good for a dedicated reaper asides from the obvious polearm mastery?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Anyone have a particularly fun OR easy seed they like? Doesn't have to be a strong start

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Guildencrantz posted:

I just got a warscythe before day 20 from a random event :stare:

I'm thinking of building one of my dudes specifically to specialize in swinging that thing around, he could pretty much dominate the midgame. What perks would be good for a dedicated reaper asides from the obvious polearm mastery?

Berserk and Killing Frenzy are the obvious choices. Aside from that it depends a lot on their stats, but you want a way to keep them alive. Steel Brow + either Colossus or Nine Lives depending on their stats is a good combo for that.

If they have high initiative Overwhelm is good and helps the whole team - you can get up to three stacks per attack, if you can rake three guys.
Anticipation is good if you can easily get them to 10+ ranged defense, and like Steel Brow goes a long way towards keeping them from being annihilated by an enemy arbalester.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I think I may stream a bit later today :)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
https://www.twitch.tv/griddead

Am streaming in about 5 min :D

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Anyone have a particularly fun OR easy seed they like? Doesn't have to be a strong start

If you want easy then 166270 is king. The southern half of the map is one big lucrative trade circuit.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I've read the OP and the Steam guide and they were super helpful. I'm about 40 days in on Beginner and doing fairly well. Is there a point where my current strategy of 3 spear/shield dudes, 1 axe dude, 3 spear/shield dudes in the front, then 3 archers and 2 polearm dudes in the back will stop working? I basically just use spear wall and the enemy gets wrecked trying to push up. Shoot arrows at dudes, poke them or knock them back until I can re-enable spear wall. Then use the axe to split shields or murder dudes as necessary.

I assume that breaks down at some point with stronger enemies and I'll need to use more specialized weapons?

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Internet Explorer posted:

So I've read the OP and the Steam guide and they were super helpful. I'm about 40 days in on Beginner and doing fairly well. Is there a point where my current strategy of 3 spear/shield dudes, 1 axe dude, 3 spear/shield dudes in the front, then 3 archers and 2 polearm dudes in the back will stop working? I basically just use spear wall and the enemy gets wrecked trying to push up. Shoot arrows at dudes, poke them or knock them back until I can re-enable spear wall. Then use the axe to split shields or murder dudes as necessary.

I assume that breaks down at some point with stronger enemies and I'll need to use more specialized weapons?

Spearwalling falls off in effectiveness because spears have low damage and low armor penetration, so stronger and better equipped enemies won't just kill themselves against it. Plus some (like Brigand Raiders, the bread and butter enemy of the midgame) often carry polearms, which pretty much hard counter spears by not needing to close. They still have a place later on as flank protection and against dumb enemies like wiedergangers, but you'll mostly be swapping them for stuff with more damage.

The standard mid-to-late game strategy is a hammer and anvil deal, with a shieldwall of tank bros, with 2-4 of your best fighters as twohander wielders who do a shitload of damage, and archers behind that line. Babby bros who are newly recruited and need to level to keep up are given polearms and fight from the second line as well.

Of course, "standard" is very relative and within that basic template there's a jillion varieties, specialized builds, enemy counters etc.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Remember that swords also give a bonus to hit.

I like giving guys swords when they hit 55 melee and then I swap them to an axe/flail when they hit 60. Right now I keep a spear bro on each flank but that's it. The guy's being on the flank either funnel your enemies towards the big dudes in the middle (the AI doesn't like moving at spearwall) or they make the AI take an additional turn to move all the way around him, where you can then move your back line accordingly.

My back line usually has a buckler and a sword, early game, just in case.

E: Also one of my brothers (usually the best melee skill'd one) has a flail by midgame. Lots of enemies do not wear helmets and the flail that brigand raiders carry can and will one shot enemies, preserving their precious armour for you to loot.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Okay, cool. That's what I figured. I think I'm on the right path and have a few bros I can switch over. Even have the weapons for it! Thanks thread!

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I'm on my first game and just starting to see my bros hit level 10+. In my arrogance I rarely leveled up their resolve, thinking that making them tougher and deadlier was more important. I'm facing an undead crisis now, and watching my invincible death-bringers break in two rounds from ancient priests or geists is killing me :negative:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Half the fun for me is rolling new guys and getting reattached to them. What is their resolve at?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Time to hire a monk (or cultist) and just spam that resolve!

I have a sarge with ridiculous resolve in every company just for this.

E: Also a few dudes with brain damage, if I get lucky. Current run sucks, they all just keep getting maimed feet so I give them a crossbow and shunt them in the backline when my actual archers need time to recover, so they trick the enemy into thinking its probably better to run at me rather than the other way round.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
This run I got a monk with two stars in resolve and the +10 resolve trait. He has like 120 resolve at level 11, which allowed me to basically ignore it on most other bros.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Does anyone find that taking Crippling Strike and Executioner on most of your bros is worth it? Two perks for every bro is a big investment, but it seems like it would really give an advantage in extended fights especially.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Does anyone find that taking Crippling Strike and Executioner on most of your bros is worth it? Two perks for every bro is a big investment, but it seems like it would really give an advantage in extended fights especially.

Completely goddamn useless against undead, though. (Also, the most powerful negative status effect is "dead". :v: )

If you're not optimizing for the Black Monolith - or, to a much lesser degree, the Undead Crisis - go nuts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Count Uvula posted:

Know my pain, goons :smith:

rip Ghostman: he was a warm body hired to fill out the line

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

For like, the half dozen people that have found this thread and don't own the game, it's on sale over at GoG this week.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Eh, I take it on maybe one or two bros. As others have mentioned, it's two perks that are worthless against the ancient dead, and they're (to me at least) one of the hardest enemies in the game. If I have just a couple of dudes with it, there isn't as much synergy, but I can rotate them out in undead fights to take someone who's actually set up to fight them.

Speaking of perk builds, I've been experimenting with making my archers into throwing weapon hybrids (after reading a reddit post about it), and holy wow. The build is really perk-hungry (the core perks are QH, B&B, bow mastery and throwing weapon mastery, Duelist, Berserk and Killing Frenzy) but the damage output at short range is fantastic. Thrown weapons are the only two-tile attack that can benefit from Duelist, so javelins rock a total of 70% armor penetration, with +10% accuracy to boot. The damage and accuracy are slightly worse than a heavy crossbow, but you can pull off two or three attacks per turn or move around. Plus you can swap the javelins for throwing axes and have a backline option that's still strong against ancient dead, and in my opinion better than billhooks.

I still keep a dedicated archer or two with crippling/executioner for countersniping, but I'm definitely a convert to skirmishers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Skirmishers are pretty goddamn good. I'm also a big fan of putting QH and javs on just about everyone, the opening volley on raiders as they come in, mid game, is super nice. Fatigue cost is super low, too.

I've also given a unique flail to a dude with killing frenzy and Duellist. That was a fun time, super good against the ancient dead.

If the dead are giving you issues, you can take a couple of guys with taunt. They attack instead of shieldwalling every time, so your guys, if they're strong, can just one shot the dead.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

It's always funny to watch the enemy archers in the late phase of a battle. They see their comrades get mowed down, maybe have their buddy's head land at their feet, and just say "gently caress this" and start running.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Then you release the dogs

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I have decided to up my poo poo. I've put nearly 1000 hours into this game, but never gone hard because I couldn't get off the ground at higher difficulty.

Can someone recommend a really good seed (preferably with suggestions on strategy for it), as well as any advice on what should be done differently from easy?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
While I can't give you a seed (i tend to just roll with what i get unless the map is 90% islands or some poo poo) i'd say general advice is just don't be afraid to run lovely bro's into the wild.

Huts, early game tend to only contain thugs. You can give a lovely 45 crown bro a wooden stick + whatever you loot for him and he's effective at stunning people. Rotate your bro's often (people die, whatever, toss them).

I don't think hard is actually particularly hard, people just either don't go for the random locations (you should pretty much always fight huts) or don't retreat. You can easily go into a place and retreat out if its not something you can tackle.

Although I just alt F4 because its quicker for me to reload the game than it is for me to move all of my bro's back to the map edge. My only rule is I don't do it if we're in combat. Only at the start of a battle.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I decided to stream agian

https://www.twitch.tv/griddead

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://twitter.com/OverhypeStudios/status/1022805284459298816

:circlefap:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If this is a DLC announcement, my wallet is ready.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Huzzah!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If this is DLC i'm buying it on loving principle.

This game is gem. I'm still pissed that there are people on steam who are reviewing it with "Dev's abandoned game".

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"change the world of Battle Brothers, from the frozen north all the way down to the parched steppe" certainly makes it sound bigger than the Lindwurm thing.

Making us wait for a week to hear more though, hunnnnggghhh goddamn Overhype this is torture! :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I would buy DLC for this game full price and I never do that.

If I had to make a guess based solely on that tweet I would guess another endgame crisis where giants invade.