Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

porfiria posted:

"She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid."

This is a running joke in the movie--the Falcon looks like a piece of poo poo but there really is more than meets than eye (like Han).

People being unable to properly evaluate things is a constant throughout all the films, but it's not just people misevaluating if something is useful but how something is useful.

Han and the Falcon both come through to save the day. Does that mean Han was actually a great smuggler and the Falcon was actually an impressively speedy ship, or does that mean that Han and the Falcon were just as terrible as presented, but that even so they were enough to tip the scale?

Han isn't a great smuggler and the Falcon isn't as good as advertised. They have it "where it counts" anyways, because being a good smuggler and being a fast ship aren't what counts.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, either the ship is fast, or Han successfully deceived a skeptical telepath that it was fast, and then eluded the pursuers by means other than being fast and then turned around and bragged that this was proof of its speed. If the ship isn't fast, Han at least thinks it is.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Lando also refers to it as “the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy” for whatever that’s worth.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Lando chooses to take the Millenium Falcon into the guts of the Death Star II. And Han navigates the asteroid belt in Empire. It's a pretty good ship.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Pops Mgee posted:

Lando also refers to it as “the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy” for whatever that’s worth.

You’re ignoring the second half of that sentence. The Falcon is a small freighter. You know the boat from Captain Phillips? That’s what the Falcon is, except older and shittier. And with less cargo space.

The world’s absolute fastest freighter is still slower than an aircraft carrier. And that is almost precisely what Han claimed he could do: outrun an aircraft carrier.

Instead, Han flies around in circles, dodging bullets, while waiting for his teleportation machine to work. Because his boat is slow.

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, either the ship is fast, or Han successfully deceived a skeptical telepath that it was fast,

You’re not even paying attention to the performances here. Obiwan knows Han is lying, and pretends to be desperate to trick Han into accepting 1/5 of his original price.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's like this Slow Falcon discussion is happening in a void where ESB doesn't exist and didn't show Han outrunning and out manuevering a squadron of TIE Fighters through an asteroid field in it.

Like RotJ doesn't show it leading the star fighter assault on Death Star 2 and tearing through poo poo.

This is worse than the parsec argument.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AndyElusive posted:

It's like this Slow Falcon discussion is happening in a void where ESB doesn't exist and didn't show Han outrunning and out manuevering a squadron of TIE Fighters through an asteroid field in it.

The Falcon's complete inability to outrun the Empire is the main source of tension for about half the film.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
This discussion is pretty great because it's bringing out the Star Wars Fan in SMG

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The Falcon has obvious parallels to the heavily modified 50's Hot Rods Lucas is nostalgic for (as evidenced by American Graffiti). It looks like a piece of junk because it most likely started as some lame freighter that like old Hot Rods has been taken apart, stripped of pieces, upgraded with engines too big for it, repaired with incompatible parts that had impressive specs, and who knows what else. The ship operates like this too, in that it's a super fast tricked out ride when everything goes right, but things constantly go wrong, break down, and explode. The ship spends ESB alternating between outflying everyone else and nearly setting Han on fire.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

AndyElusive posted:

Like RotJ doesn't show it leading the star fighter assault on Death Star 2 and tearing through poo poo.

This is worse than the parsec argument.

I think I can help and leave all parties happy.

All ships in Star Wars, give or take, have engines proportional to the rest of the ship.

So, if you scale up the ship, you're scaling up the mass and engine output at the same rate. In a straight line, most ships are on a par, from fighters up to star destroyers.

In Legends, a star destroyer could out-accelerate a B-wing. In the new canon, a First Order star destroyer can out-accelerate the fighters it carries.

What a capital ship can't do, though, is turn anywhere near as fast as a smaller ship, so straight line speed isn't everything.

The Falcon in ANH is trying outrun two star destroyers in a straight line and fails miserably.

The Tantive IV in ANH is trying to outrun a star destroyer in a straight line and fails miserably.

In ESB and ROTJ all the chases and combat take place in environments where manoeuverability counts more than speed and the Falcon wins.

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 22, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

The Falcon's complete inability to outrun the Empire is the main source of tension for about half the film.

Right, because of the faulty hyperdrive. Not because the Falcon is some slow rear end truck held together by bullshit and super glue. Once the hyperdrive motivator is repaired by R2 the Falcon safely escapes from the Empires clutches and meets back up with the Rebellion.

Until then it's Han and the Falcon staying ahead of some of the fastest starfighters available to the Imperials at the time and eluding them by sheer skill, some luck and probably a little bit of help from the Force thanks to Leia being on board.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t know who is correct here but to me it’s more interesting if Han is lying and the Falcon is actually a POS

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

sponges posted:

I don’t know who is correct here but to me it’s more interesting if Han is lying and the Falcon is actually a POS

Luke, Leia and Lando all have exactly the same reaction when they first see the Falcon in the movies, and Obi-Wan can clearly tell Han's bullshitting.

:itwaspoo:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Bigger Luke

Slower Falcon

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

A bigger Luke can be assumed to have roughly the same straight-line speed, but he's slower at turning.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Falcon would be fast enough to outrun the Empire under normal circumstances, but Bigger Luke weighs it down.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

josh04 posted:

A bigger Luke can be assumed to have roughly the same straight-line speed, but he's slower at turning.

This guy gets it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You’re not even paying attention to the performances here. Obiwan knows Han is lying, and pretends to be desperate to trick Han into accepting 1/5 of his original price.

Obi-Wan needed a fast ship. If he didn't expect Han's ship to be fast, he'd have hired a different one.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

This discussion is pretty great because it's bringing out the Star Wars Fan in SMG

I’m not a Star Wars fan. My concern is not the plot content, but narrative.

After all the hullabaloo over Episode 8, It’s now very clear that nobody ever understood the narrative logic of space combat in any of the Star Wars films.

Notice how the different (mis)interpretations are a result of different ideological stances. Bongo, for example, is operating under a sort of Just World logic where Han must be telling the truth because he receives no punishment.

Others seem to be celebrating Han as a heroic nerd, a libertarian hacker who uses his awesome STEM skills to dominate the battlefield. If only people stopped making fun of him, they would realize his technological superiority. Han can’t be lying because that would mean he’s not a misunderstood computer genius - and what good is he then?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I’m not a Star Wars fan.

It's not true! It's impossible!

Bongo Bill posted:

Obi-Wan needed a fast ship. If he didn't expect Han's ship to be fast, he'd have hired a different one.

Han might be a liar and a cheat, but on the other hand, his ship sucks a lot and we're going to learn in about twenty five years that Obi Wan is dumb as hell.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 23, 2018

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
Aren't Parsecs referenced elsewhere in the original trilogy? I know for sure Dex in Attack of the Clones uses it as a form of measurement. I don't think Han was bullshiting about that metric unit. Now whether it means the same thing it does on our planet is up for debate.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I’m not a Star Wars fan.

You have dozens and dozens of Star Wars posts here. You're a fan

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Just look at it in Fast and the Furious terms, the Falcon is just someone's built up car and has a great NOS button and a driver that knows exactly when to press it.

In other words, Han is Dom.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Darko posted:

Just look at it in Fast and the Furious terms, the Falcon is just someone's built up car and has a great NOS button and a driver that knows exactly when to press it.

In other words, Han is Dom.

No, Han is Han.

Han Seoul-Oh

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Falcon is so slow that it gets immediately shot down trying to escape the Imperial ships over Tattooine. The entire rest of the trilogy is just Han's dying dream. It's pretty obvious if you just watch the movies!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Notice how the different (mis)interpretations are a result of different ideological stances. Bongo, for example, is operating under a sort of Just World logic where Han must be telling the truth because he receives no punishment.

Well, he does exist in a work of fiction with a moral stance.

In the scene in question, although his goal is to defraud Obi-Wan, his attempts to do so involve truthful, if misleading, statements about the capabilities of his ship. These statements are proven true when the ship demonstrates those capabilities (and I believe it takes a willful misreading of the jump to hyperspace to interpret it differently). Because he is dishonest, does it follow that everything he says is necessarily false?

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

The Falcon is so slow that it gets immediately shot down trying to escape the Imperial ships over Tattooine. The entire rest of the trilogy is just Han's dying dream. It's pretty obvious if you just watch the movies!

Hans final dream is for all of his deeds to be for naught, to become old and eventually be killed by his adult man child son?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Top Gun posted:

Hans final dream is for all of his deeds to be for naught, to become old and eventually be killed by his adult man child son?

Also about dudes in robes he never knew and who lived 15 years before he was born.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Top Gun posted:

It means he got laid, which is good enough for him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/DepressedDarth/status/988497467342835712

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't find Loss anywhere.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
There's a little milkshake at the top.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pops Mgee posted:

Its not canon, but Star's End basically describes how they did a bunch of somewhat dangerous and dubiously legal modifications to the Falcon to coax a bunch of extra speed out of her as compared to normal ships

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hunks of junk are probably not as a rule fast.

So it’s like saying it is the skinniest fat dude.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Top Gun posted:

Aren't Parsecs referenced elsewhere in the original trilogy? I know for sure Dex in Attack of the Clones uses it as a form of measurement. I don't think Han was bullshiting about that metric unit. Now whether it means the same thing it does on our planet is up for debate.

Basically it got retconned probably because they used it wrong in the movies, but now that its retconned it still means distance. Its the distance of the route he took to complete the Kessel run, which was a lot shorter and a lot more dangerous than the traditional route.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Hunks of junk are probably not as a rule fast.

So it’s like saying it is the skinniest fat dude.

well there may be faster Imperial ships or whatever, but Han tells Lando the Falcon is the fastest in the rebel fleet at least when he is telling Lando to pilot it. So its at least reasonably pretty quick

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

eonwe posted:

well there may be faster Imperial ships or whatever, but Han tells Lando the Falcon is the fastest in the rebel fleet at least when he is telling Lando to pilot it. So its at least reasonably pretty quick

Han is lying to Lando. He's still aching from hybernation sickness and can't get over how he was betrayed by him. As a result he's willing to sacrifice his slow truck in order to exact his revenge.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Han is lying to Lando. He's still aching from hybernation sickness and can't get over how he was betrayed by him. As a result he's willing to sacrifice his slow truck in order to exact his revenge.

That poor gleep glop standing in for Chewbacca at the end.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Why did he dump his space-smack if he could have out-run the police?

Even his repairs make it worse, Lando and R2 have to fix them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is implied that outrunning the cops is difficult.