Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

James Baud posted:

Boy, just imagine if all the pedestrians has been members of a hockey team! That would've made this a real tragedy deserving a nationwide outpouring of support.

What stupid point are you trying to make with this post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 25, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Balding software developer, recorded begging the cops to shoot him, my money’s on “incel loner attempted suicide-by-cop” 100%

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Time for a goon roll call

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

James Baud posted:

If you need an explanation despite the context of the subsequent ~8 posts, the effort is wasted on you.

You’re not as clever you think.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

xtal posted:

Wasn't me.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
welp

https://twitter.com/cmcdonaldglobal/status/988564214053654529

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Don't these loving people know how to masturbate?

Like, stroke it a bit before you go nuts and murder people please.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Oh please tell me that's someone's actual service number

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol what's that dude's SA name

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
This is going to be chalked up to mental illness and they're going to say he wasn't "radicalized". Such bullshit.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

xtal posted:

Not it.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
If this dude was actually an incel I can’t even. We truly do live in the worst timeline

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

If you need an explanation despite the context of the subsequent ~8 posts, the effort is wasted on you.

You have the hot takes of a 14 year old boy that just read "The God Disillusion" for the first time. Shut the gently caress up.

This is a terrible tragedy, so was Humboldt.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Just gotta get gov back in the bedroom to make sure the loners get laid. A nice efficient handy from a tfw federal prostitute.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

If this dude was actually an incel I can’t even. We truly do live in the worst timeline

Obvious mental illness coped with having no real friends, no personal success or romantic relationships, obsession with other spree killers and belonging to a garbage community like 4chan. Makes a pretty dangerous mix for an impressionable mind. Also fits the profile of most of these young spree killers.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PT6A posted:

Don't these loving people know how to masturbate?

Like, stroke it a bit before you go nuts and murder people please.

Holy Prophet Jordan B. Peterson says fapping is haraam

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zapplez posted:

Obvious mental illness coped with having no real friends, no personal success or romantic relationships, obsession with other spree killers and belonging to a garbage community like 4chan. Makes a pretty dangerous mix for an impressionable mind. Also fits the profile of most of these young spree killers.

Not even 4chan. Just Reddit. Goddamn incels need to be shut down.

Edit: Also here in Hamilton we lost internet and then power. Cogeco probably blew up a transformer or something gently caress.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Really broad question here, but generally speaking how do we decide when something is going to attributed to mental illness? Like, obviously anyone who intentionally and with malice aforethought runs down 25 people with a car is not okay mentally. But we seem willing to accept that because he appears to have been radicalized on 4chan/Reddit and not an ISIS message board, it's mental illness and social alienation, even though those would almost certainly be factors in either case.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 24, 2018

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 25, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

Really broad question here, but generally speaking how do we decide when something is going to attributed to mental illness? Like, obviously anyone who intentionally and with malice aforethought runs down 25 people with a car is not okay mentally. But far we seem willing to accept that because he appears to have been radicalized on 4chan/Reddit and not an ISIS message board, it's mental illness and social alienation, even though those would almost certainly be factors in either case.

I dunno I see them the same way? The guy who drove at the cop out west with the rental vehicle was also likely suffering from mental illness but we can infer he wanted to terrorize. He just identified more with ISIS than with incel or any other community that has these happen.

Very often these unorganized terror attacks (not receiving orders/planning or supplies from a central organization) are from some of the most desperate , marginalized and often mentally ill people. The stabbing in the Canadian Tire in Toronto was technically terrorism because of the ideology and intent of the female perpetrator, but for pratical purposes it was more of a assault by a mentally ill person than anything else.

I think it makes a strong point about how we report these incidents and how the media is part of the problem. Elliot Rodger shouldn't be a household name and these unstable loners shouldnt be able to invoke his name like he was their prophet

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 24, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Really broad question here, but generally speaking how do we decide when something is going to attributed to mental illness?

family guy skin colour meme.jpg

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Really broad question here, but generally speaking how do we decide when something is going to attributed to mental illness? Like, obviously anyone who intentionally and with malice aforethought runs down 25 people with a car is not okay mentally. But far we seem willing to accept that because he appears to have been radicalized on 4chan/Reddit and not an ISIS message board, it's mental illness and social alienation, even though those would almost certainly be factors in either case.

Really broadly answering, modern psychiatry is a pseudoscientific way of labeling people, so the distinction doesn't really matter. A terrorist is by definition mentally ill because we define mentally ill as "does things like terrorism."

From an article:

quote:

He said he asked, “ ‘Do you know what day it is?’ The [suspect] said, ‘Yes, it’s Monday, Dec. 4, 2017. The man kept asking what happened, what happened, every 40 seconds,’ ” Kondi said.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arivia posted:

Not even 4chan. Just Reddit. Goddamn incels need to be shut down.

It was.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

He said incels, not /r/incels

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

zapplez posted:

I dunno I see them the same way? The guy who drove at the cop out west with the rental vehicle was also likely suffering from mental illness but we can infer he wanted to terrorize. He just identified more with ISIS than with incel or any other community that has these happen.

Very often these unorganized terror attacks (not receiving orders/planning or supplies from a central organization) are from some of the most desperate , marginalized and often mentally ill people. The stabbing in the Canadian Tire in Toronto was technically terrorism because of the ideology and intent of the female perpetrator, but for pratical purposes it was more of a assault by a mentally ill person than anything else.

I think it makes a strong point about how we report these incidents and how the media is part of the problem. Elliot Rodger shouldn't be a household name and these unstable loners shouldnt be able to invoke his name like he was their prophet

I thought it was interesting that the Ayanle Hassan Ali stabbings (Which happened in exactly the same place as today's incident) saw him charged with terrorism related offenses by the RCMP, deemed unfit to stand trial, subsequently deemed fit for trial, and somehow still being charged with terrorism related offenses despite no ties to terrorist organizations.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Is this legit? The message seems way too on the nose (especially the reporting to Sgt 4Chan bit) to be real. A bunch of people on twitter are replying to the original tweeter saying it has already been Shen to be fake.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Goosed it. posted:

Is this legit? The message seems way too on the nose (especially the reporting to Sgt 4Chan bit) to be real. A bunch of people on twitter are replying to the original tweeter saying it has already been Shen to be fake.

I spent a while looking for his FB & if I couldn't find it I doubt they could. Also very suspect that the profile photo is his LinkedIn pic which is currently the only available photo of him.

eta In case I'm wrong and someone calls me a moron, it's possible that one of his friends (who can see a profile I can't) would leak it. But I'm suspicious.

eta2 Actually the photo shows that the post is public (while taking effort to hide the URL.) So yes, 100% fake

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 24, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

I'm pretty sure this is fake. There doesn't appear to be an Alek Minassian, with that spelling, on Facebook. I looked when the name first broke. There's an Alex Minassian, also of Richmond Hill, who had a bunch of left-wing memes, Beaverton shares, and a link to the NDP platform on his page in the quick look I had. He's now locked his page down and has a public post from 3 hours ago telling people it wasn't him. That photo wasn't anywhere on his page.

He's also literally liking replies to his post as I type this.

The profile pic in that image is from an Alek Minassian on Linkedin, who IDs as a student at Seneca.

There's also an Alek Minasian, one S and not two, who is from Aleppo, and only has a profile photo of Christiano Ronaldo on his page. A lot of people are sharing that page as "proof" that it's a terrorist attack because Syria and he was obviously brought here by Trudeau.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 24, 2018

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Are we sure the Facebook screengrab is fake? All the major news outlets are running with it now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

St. Dogbert posted:

Are we sure the Facebook screengrab is fake? All the major news outlets are running with it now.

Major news outlets are dumb as hell and seize on any tiny scraps of true or false information in times like this, which only helps people believe conspiracies when it turns out most of what the media wildly speculated or accepted was false information because they proceeded without adequate fact-checking because they wanted to get the clicks before other news outlets did.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

St. Dogbert posted:

You can never be sure, but unless he deleted the post after throwing his phone away in that video, we would be able to verify that public post ourselves. Nobody has given us any verification despite the fact that it would be easy to do so. I still am convinced it's fake but ready to admit I'm wrong if information changes.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It would be incredibly easy for someone to replicate that photo of that fb post btw.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

Major news outlets are dumb as hell and seize on any tiny scraps of true or false information in times like this, which only helps people believe conspiracies when it turns out most of what the media wildly speculated or accepted was false information because they proceeded without adequate fact-checking because they wanted to get the clicks before other news outlets did.

24 hour news networks will go down in history as one of the largest sources of wide scale societal harm in the modern era.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

St. Dogbert posted:

Some people were describing it and calling it fake a while before it went public. I'd give good odds on it being one of the *chans doing what they do literally every time something like this happens. See Sam Hyde being reported as the perpetrator of every attack for about five straight years.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

24 hour news networks will go down in history as one of the largest sources of wide scale societal harm in the modern era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gell-Mann_amnesia_effect

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

St. Dogbert posted:

Who else has it? I've only seen that one Global reporter.

EDIT: Just saw a CBC write-up describing the post, but without the screen, ending with "CBC News has not been able to independently verify the post as having been written by Minassian."

gently caress sakes.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 24, 2018

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
its really hard for me not to say what i want to say but RIP to all the victims im gonna leave it at that

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

EvilJoven posted:

You should read Neil Postman’s Amusing Ourselves to Death. You’ll never look at the telegraph the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Leofish posted:

Who else has it? I've only seen that one Global reporter.

EDIT: Just saw a CBC write-up describing the post, but without the screen, ending with "CBC News has not been able to independently verify the post as having been written by Minassian."

gently caress sakes.

At least they hedge their statements upfront.

CBC posted:

Yet one possible explanation has emerged online that suggests Minassian was angry over being rebuffed by women.

An apparent Facebook post by a man with the same name and photo as Minassian's LinkedIn profile 

Probably best they address it someway if other news outlets are covering it.