Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm wondering just how you go from burning some garbage (why?) to having most of your body in flames. The story is weird and I wonder if there's more weirdness going on there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is quite simple, God hates Brian Tamaki and wants to see him burn.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm wondering just how you go from burning some garbage (why?)

Cheaper than having it collected or taking it to the dump probably, Wouldn't surprise me if he's a cheap rear end despite being rich off stealing his poor followers money

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

I was not planning it. I got tired of looking at this rubbish . . . things evolved from there.

He must of had a whole bunch of junk in his back yard and just sort of thought it would be easier to burn it all...

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm wondering just how you go from burning some garbage (why?) to having most of your body in flames. The story is weird and I wonder if there's more weirdness going on there

It's actually pretty easy if you're an idiot. My third (? or so) job when I was a teenager was driving a bulldozer at new subdivisions at a motor scraper place. A couple of my mates also worked there on and off, one of them decided to burn a bunch of rubbish inside a bin. Started the fire with some petrol, was fine, but wasn't burning as expected, so he then squirts petrol directly onto the open fire while holding the container. Obviously, the fire went up the spray, into the container and it blew up in his face covering face and body in fire.

He had severe burns everywhere, I mean, this poo poo was a complete mess. Not sure what magic voodoo was undertaken at the hospital but he came out the other-side without a single scar.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pro thread update.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Are we sure he doesn't have syphilis or horrendous herpes or something and has burnt his crotch to cover this up?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I tried to make a GBS thread about it and got autobanned.

the Tamaki curse is catching.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3855161

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
metaphorically, I burnt my dick and balls in a dumpster fire of my own creation

much like Brian Tamaki literally did that exact thing

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
HOW IS THIS REAL LIFE

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The most garbage man burned by his own garbage. It's poetry.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
And the burning bush spoketh to the disciple, 'lo, gently caress off oval office.'

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

metaphorically, I burnt my dick and balls in a dumpster fire of my own creation

much like Brian Tamaki literally did that exact thing

this is a beautiful new av

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I wear it with pride. :gay:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, I did it because I thought it would be a funny reminder.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

Liking Crusher's twitter avi

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just came across this, with the original archive here?

quote:

Entrants for the Miss Universe Beauty Pageant pose for the press while one of their number, Miss New Zealand, faints under the hot sun of Long Beach, California.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

a cursed image

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Ah, must be a Dunedin girl.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Looks like the US gets a representative from each state while for the other countries there is one per country, hardly seems fair

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

At least she’s doing better than Brian.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

lol, we're going to have to do something about our lovely recycling system

https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/2018642762/warnings-over-nz-s-kerbside-recycling

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Do you mean that bundling it up, shipping it off to a third world country and forgetting about it is not a sustainable long term solution? Certainly processing it here in NZ would help create jobs and provide stability for recyclers and manufacturers using the reclaimed resources.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
There are actually processing plants over here, it gets sorted/processed into the various raw forms and sold per tonne. It's still a problem because:
  • There are no local buyers, so it ends up being sold to China/Aus/etc anyway after processing.
  • What demand there is here, is hosed, most materials are actually cheaper and easier to buy clean/new material.

I think in this quote:

quote:

"That requires a commitment from local government and government. If you invest in a significant amount of plant to process this material, if prices come back overseas and everyone runs away to those to get the better price that puts the industry in a real challenging position."

By "process this material" I'm almost certain it should be interpreted as "we need manufactures to turn it into something else/useful", rather then "we have a pile of garbage and need to process it", because that already happens here.

At the end of the day, this is the problem:

quote:

Currently, brand owners can make whatever the heck they like, put that out to the market and say 'it doesn't matter to me how that's recycled - I'm not going to bear the cost of it'.

Consumers should see the environmental impact of the product via it's retail price. If you're a business/brand owner and you want to move stock at a competitive price, you'll need to adjust your packaging and/or material of the goods to optimize for low environmental impact.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Xik posted:

At the end of the day, this is the problem:

(Producers don't care about the cost of waste disposal)

I think this is going to be the biggest shift we'll see in the next 10 years, though it's far more likely that consumers will bear that cost instead of producers

emminou
May 25, 2006

I watched David Seymour’s DWTS performance and i have to say making a libertarian dance to a song that says “I always get it up for a touch of the younger kind” was a bold choice

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Looks like the old machine for National is back in action. Unspecified rumours are circulating about Clark Gayford. It even got to the state where the police commissioner has taken an unusual step of confirming there is no historic or current investigation of him.
It is all similar to the Helen Clark years and the innuendo and rumours about her marriage.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the smear's also boring as hell lol

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

There's definitely some poo poo going on with it. Like this reddit account that registered a week ago and only posted about Hirschfeld's resignation and then a concern troll about how Clarke must have gotten his wife to impose on the police to put out something and makes him seem "bratty" and "a spoilt kid".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

lmbo the classic "if it's not true why wouldn't he just ignore it?" - a good question from someone who in an alternate timeline is asking "why would he keep quiet unless it were true?"

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
In other Jacinda news
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HynsTvRVLiI

and thats the way it was
Feb 14, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Fletchers is hiring for Accounting positions atm - gimme a buzz if you're interested.
A bit late but interested. Don't have pm's, are you able to email?

and thats the way it was fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 2, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The rumours about Clarke are that he used to deal coke, right?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

bike tory posted:

That'd be a lot cooler than anything national's partners have ever done

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

More likely to be Tony Veitch’s P dealer.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

bike tory posted:

That and/or be a big fan of it. Whoop dee doo.

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

reminds me how glad I am that whaleoil has dropped off the map precipitously/maybe is so ruined by legal costs he thinks twice now. Would have expected to see a blog headlined "Gayford coke addled bludger" or something already

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

bike tory posted:

oh was that it?

scrub tier rumour imo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What gets me is the insanely hypocritical Gayford rumours false: here's why we can't talk about it articles that keep popping up. Like yeah, I know it's NZ new media but jesus loving christ do they really have no shame at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There seems to be a lot of expectation management going on ahead of the budget in a couple of weeks and it's pretty clear that the government is going to go back on their election promises in some way - either finding more tax revenue somewhere or (much more likely) lowballing/not delivering on some of their key policy promises. Which makes me wonder why they don't even consider raising govt debt in some way. We have really low govt debt to GDP anyway, and some of the dumpster fires that national left in Health and Education infrastructure are way more pressing than some lovely and arbitrary debt limits

• Locked thread