Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

el oso posted:

I'm not sure if there is an effect I've ever liked more than the THHHWAP of pulling the axe back to Kratos. It's so satisfying every time.

The combat can get really fun as you go on as well. It's kind of frustrating for the first couple of hours because it's hard to crowd control. But as you progress you can start off with a big runic attack to soften enemies up then toss your axe into a dude to freeze him while you go ham on another guy with your fists while getting stun damage from Atreus' arrows until you do a finisher and then pull your axe back into a spinning splash into another runic attack and then go RAGE MODE is cool and makes me feel cool in a video game.

When you start fighting like Thor at the start of Ragnarok you know you've got the mechanics down. Using the lock on axe throw so it twirls around chopping people while you punch on, then call it back for the l2/r2 recall attack is The poo poo. If there's a rune that doubles lock on speed I will be completely in gaming Valhalla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I swear to gently caress the psn store said Swords of Ditto was on preorder sale until 8am 4/24 but it went live and I guess they killed the sale price? :/

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really want some Kratos and Jack Baker fan art now ,with how often Boy gets tossed around in that game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After about 20 hours with GOW I'm convinced that unless it takes a huge quality dip (which seems incredibly unlikely) that it is easily one of the best games ever made and will go down as a modern classic.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

After about 20 hours with GOW I'm convinced that unless it takes a huge quality dip (which seems incredibly unlikely) that it is easily one of the best games ever made and will go down as a modern classic.

It doesn't. I'm burning to get home and play postgame...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

Agreed 100%

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sounds like a solid 9, maybe 9.5?

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I swear to gently caress the psn store said Swords of Ditto was on preorder sale until 8am 4/24 but it went live and I guess they killed the sale price? :/

This + lack of online co-op are makin' me a salty pretzel!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

This + lack of online co-op are makin' me a salty pretzel!

Did you see that the PSn store said that too?

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Did you see that the PSn store said that too?

Yeah, basically every news blurb goes out of its way to specify local only

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feenix posted:

Fwiw this exact thing happened to me with the Horizon DLC and they credited me the sale price discount about a week later without me even asking.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zenzizenzizenzic posted:

Yeah, basically every news blurb goes out of its way to specify local only

No I meant that the sale was supposed to go on until some time tomorrow. I wish I’d screen-shotted it.

[Ed]

veni veni veni posted:

Fwiw this exact thing happened to me with the Horizon DLC and they credited me the sale price discount about a week later without me even asking.

Hmmmm...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol at ricocheting the axe off the face of a troll carrying a drat parking garage column, recalling it, and then backhanding it back into his face for bonus damage.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got this light runic attack that gives an invincible charging shield bash launcher and its too good to use any of the other options. Its just a free full combo when ever you want it right through even unblockable enemy attacks

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Finally got to start GoW and yeah this seems to be a pretty good game

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
So I started playing the first Uncharted for the first time last week and boy did it suck. It's pretty well made but there is waaay too much shooting (can't say I ever felt that way about a game before) which was then exacerbated by the shooting being bad and enemies spawning on top of you and behind you often (feature that I last remember inexplicably being in Dragon Age 2), and then there were some really lovely gotcha jumps with checkpoints dumping you back at the start of the area. And THEN, suddenly, zombies! :wtc:

On a more positive note, I also tried remote download for the first time today and that rocks hard.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

lordfrikk posted:

On a more positive note, I also tried remote download for the first time today and that rocks hard.
Remote download is cool but remote play, even being imperfect, is magical as hell. Once I played Persona 5 on my PS4 back in Japan from China.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

That is further than I made it Uncharted 1. I got to the (first? who knows) car chase and quit because I assumed I had seen the best part of the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

uncharted kinda expects you to punch people almost as much as you shoot

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Yeah it's too bad David Cage taught his dog to salute the fuhrer and also became the POTUS and this and that and the other and :v:

The more story-captivating Yakuza game for me was the untranslated spinoff Ishin, following fan translations and using a translation app to understand it the best I could it caught me that well, and it's based on history.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

Even really good games eventually reach a point that's like "yeah the devs obviously ran out of money here" but in God of War everything just keeps ramping up and you begin to see the immense variety and attention to detail that went into every aspect of its design.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The most graphically taxing games I have right now, including MHW, FC5 and now God of War, keep my PS4 Pro's fan running at top speed at all times, even just sitting in menus. It's become so irritating that I wear earphones while playing those every time now. The vents all look clear and I vacuumed them out just to be sure, and it's just sitting on the floor, not in a cabinet or other enclosed space or anything, so I think that's just how it is. I wish it wasn't though...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sitting in menus is actually the problem in MHW and GOW because the framerates aren’t capped.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Sitting in menus is actually the problem in MHW and GOW because the framerates aren’t capped.
Is there some reason they would do that other than wanting to wear out your PS4 faster?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there some reason they would do that other than wanting to wear out your PS4 faster?

Bad coding

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

exquisite tea posted:

So many games do this, still, it's been a problem for years and I'm surprised nobody has picked up on this...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s mostly the sub stories.

The main story is okay and the combat is kind of bad.

Wrong

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

So I started playing the first Uncharted for the first time last week and boy did it suck. It's pretty well made but there is waaay too much shooting (can't say I ever felt that way about a game before) which was then exacerbated by the shooting being bad and enemies spawning on top of you and behind you often (feature that I last remember inexplicably being in Dragon Age 2), and then there were some really lovely gotcha jumps with checkpoints dumping you back at the start of the area. And THEN, suddenly, zombies! :wtc:

I'm pretty sure that people have been saying for at least 300 pages to just play 1 on easy if you absolutely have to play it. It's a very rough first expedition and they massively improve on things in the sequels.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s mostly the sub stories.

The main story is okay and the combat is kind of bad.

Yeah, it's certainly no Dark Souls.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

lordfrikk posted:

Uncharted 2 is a massive jump in quality, at least setpiece-wise.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm pretty sure that people have been saying for at least 300 pages to just play 1 on easy if you absolutely have to play it. It's a very rough first expedition and they massively improve on things in the sequels.

Here's the thing – I have played it on Easy and it still sucked! I think I would have not finished the game at all had I played on a higher difficulty.

Samuringa posted:

Uncharted 2 is a massive jump in quality, at least setpiece-wise.

And this was the other thing that kept me going, yeah. We'll see how I like the second game. I always heard the new Tomb Raiders are like Uncharted and I liked those so it's not like this is not my kind of a game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I would not have finished uc1 if not for the lack of games when it came to ps4

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
to be fair, you're also not supposed to be shooting that much. you're supposed to roll around firing a couple shots from the hip and then punch people in the face before moving on. a lot (but not all) of people who complain about 1 played it like a cover shooter.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uncharted 1 isn't very good in part because the encounter design does a bad job of rewarding that playstyle, which is a shame because it's so much fun to do.

Blindfire/hipfire all day every day

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Unsharted

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jetski section is unforgiveable

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You'd think the generally low ammo count on weapons forcing you out of hiding would give people an inkling of how to play but I guess not.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Listen I paid good money for a pro to enjoy those menus at 250 frames per second over 150. looks amazing on my 60 hz monitor

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I want to raise my ps4pro a little bit off of the shelf it's on so it can cool a little easier, any recommendations for the best way to do this + a good height?

Sorry that this isn't about one of the many cool games (gosh there are a lot!)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

^^^
It cools from the sides and back not the bottom so it aint gonna do anything but i guess you could get two wood blocks if you wanted.

~

The menu fps is just a little prodding to keep playing the game and not to micromanage too much lest your console explode

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

You'd think the generally low ammo count on weapons forcing you out of hiding would give people an inkling of how to play but I guess not.

It's because you often have to be getting shot to run and do it, which makes people think it's wrong the instant they take damage even though it's like a five second regen.