Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

blackguy32 posted:

Was FF12 unfinished or rushed to market? I had a good time, but so much of that game felt like it was just in a unfinished state. I made it to what I consider to be the final dungeon without realizing it was the final dungeon and I thought I had quite a bit more left to the game.

I felt like there was stuff in the story that was just underexplained

A lot can be explained with Matsuno leaving the project due to health issues, the mastermind behind Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics.

The story feels barebones but FFXII has very meaty side content with lots completely optional bosses, sidequests and dungeons. The story barely scratches the surface of what the game has. Imo the best in the series

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FF12 kinda had the same production issues as FF15, but without everything being split between game/movie/etcetera and with a much better job of papering over the seams.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

WaltherFeng posted:

A lot can be explained with Matsuno leaving the project due to health issues, the mastermind behind Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics.

The story feels barebones but FFXII has very meaty side content with lots completely optional bosses, sidequests and dungeons. The story barely scratches the surface of what the game has. Imo the best in the series

Yeah, I'd say about a third of the areas in the game are completely optional and packed with good loot and challenging bosses. It's why exploring in XII feels so rewarding, because it's not limited to a short side path with a treasure chest- it's entire regions that are hidden away for people who go wandering. Just off the top of my head from a several years ago, Zertinan caverns, Nabreus Deadlands, Necrohol of Nabudis, Pharos Subterra, Upper Great Crystal, the deep areas of Henne Mines, Lhusu Mines, and Barheim Passage, that connecting area between two overworld zones blocked by that dragon in the windstorm, a good part of the sewers under Rabanastre where Cuchulainn is, the hidden areas where Exodus and Zeromus are, plus a bunch of other areas that you'd only really explore for hunts and such.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder what direction they'll go for a XVI? Assuming they don't just continue making even more episodes for XV until the end of time.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
You'd think with the last however many game being development hell, they might reduce the scope of the base game a bit. If the 7 remake goes well, they could decide to make 16 episodic from the get go.

Pandora's box was opened regarding DLC in core final fantasy games, so that will probably be a thing.

I couldn't guess anything beyond that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope that FF16 is a lowkey affair with really nice 2d or simple 3d graphics, an intuitive combat system, and a solid story. Something that they can put out in a year tops.

Of course it's going to be a convoluted mess that we won't see until the latter half of the 20s.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
It will have a story that makes the entirety of the kingdom hearts series look as complicated as pacman.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope that FF16 is a lowkey affair with really nice 2d or simple 3d graphics, an intuitive combat system, and a solid story. Something that they can put out in a year tops.

Of course it's going to be a convoluted mess that we won't see until the latter half of the 20s.
I would love for it to be this, but from everything I've heard from interviews etc, they've basically painted themselves into a corner with the execs insisting that mainline FF must push the envelope in terms of spectacle and graphics, and that getting exponentially more expensive with each console generation isn't helping them much.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
16 is probably going to come out probably like a decade later at this rate, hell when was the last time any new news of FF7 remake came out?

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
There was a small quote from the art director today. Not really what I'd call news though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I mean, Squeenix still has teams that make games like that, they just don't call those games Final Fantasy [insert number here]. And frankly, I think it would be weird if they did. Mainline Final Fantasy games have pretty much always tried to push the limits of the technology of the time, for better or worse. It's part of the brand at this point.

If someone arbitrarily decides they can't enjoy a solid smaller scale RPG as much unless it has Final Fantasy in the title, that's on them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

No matter what the game is like, the reactions to FF7Remake are going to be interesting.

Hell they'll probably be the most interesting if the remake is actually pretty true to the tone and spirit of the original game, and not what people remember it being like.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Raxivace posted:

No matter what the game is like, the reactions to FF7Remake are going to be interesting.

Hell they'll probably be the most interesting if the remake is actually pretty true to the tone and spirit of the original game, and not what people remember it being like.
We've gotten a look at some FFVII-R tone and writing via the crossover cutscenes in FF Mobius, and it's been...very mopey and in line with the extended universe stuff rather than the original game, so don't get your hopes up too much.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
In your hearts you all know that Honeybee Inn was literally the first thing they cut from the remake.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Should've brought back Sakaguchi.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bloom posted:

In your hearts you all know that Honeybee Inn was literally the first thing they cut from the remake.

It could actually be really smooth and funny if they kept it but "cleaned it up" like how Japan's major maid cafe chains are "family friendly" and try to deliver their content in a less sleazy manner all around.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

lobster22221 posted:

You'd think with the last however many game being development hell, they might reduce the scope of the base game a bit. If the 7 remake goes well, they could decide to make 16 episodic from the get go.

Pandora's box was opened regarding DLC in core final fantasy games, so that will probably be a thing.

I couldn't guess anything beyond that.

The ff7 remake has already not gone well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

We've gotten a look at some FFVII-R tone and writing via the crossover cutscenes in FF Mobius,

What's this?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MikeJF posted:

What's this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du5MaXg99Lk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KF5HFUafls

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

blackguy32 posted:

Was FF12 unfinished or rushed to market? I had a good time, but so much of that game felt like it was just in a unfinished state. I made it to what I consider to be the final dungeon without realizing it was the final dungeon and I thought I had quite a bit more left to the game.

I felt like there was stuff in the story that was just underexplained

It was in development hell and missed it original target date by two years. Most of it was due to its development being comprised of two teams (FFT and the FF Online teams) who couldn't agree on a unified vision. Leadership roles were also understaffed which changed after the original director left and more staff were brought in or promoted to fill the void.

The game still ended up reviewing well and developers like Bioware cite it as a major influence for their games. This seems to be the last time FF was an innovator before Bethesda became the premiere RPG developer.

bentacos posted:

I wonder what direction they'll go for a XVI? Assuming they don't just continue making even more episodes for XV until the end of time.

The majority of the FFXV team is still working on post launch content. Comrades is the big focus. Tabata got a promotion and is working on a new IP for next gen consoles.

FFXVI will be a Destiny/The Division clone with Chocobos. SE is a real trend follower these days and every major RPG developer is either making a co-op lite MMORPG or hiring for one.

Shoenin posted:

16 is probably going to come out probably like a decade later at this rate, hell when was the last time any new news of FF7 remake came out?

They fired the external development team they hired in order to move development in-house. Now, they have to staff up a relatively small division up to the 200-300 people needed for AAA game development while simultaneously supporting FF Mobius's development.

But they showcased concept art at an event. I'm sure the game will come out in no time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Goddamnit that's how they say Mako?

WELP GUESS I CAN NEVER TOUCH THE REMAKE.

Ah well, it's not like their chosen Cloud english voice actor could ever depict FF7 Cloud. It's just 100% monotone every time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 24, 2018

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sunning posted:

The majority of the FFXV team is still working on post launch content. Comrades is the big focus. Tabata got a promotion and is working on a new IP for next gen consoles.

FFXVI will be a Destiny/The Division clone with Chocobos. SE is a real trend follower these days and every major RPG developer is either making a co-op lite MMORPG or hiring for one.
100 mopey protagonists jump off an airship but only one can get the girl and save the world.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

bloom posted:

actually, second after Snowboarding

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MikeJF posted:

Ah well, it's not like their chosen Cloud english voice actor could ever depict FF7 Cloud. It's just 100% monotone every time.

This has always been my issue. The voice direction for Cloud has always been awful (KH) and I'm not looking forward to more games of it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is the new Dissidia fun?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MikeJF posted:

That's how you pronounce Mako, yes.

Also lol that voice acting, that everything, mobile games are trash and in no way informs how the remake is going to turn out.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

EmmyOk posted:

Is the new Dissidia fun?

It's very different from the first two games in that there is a big PvP/eSports focus. The community seems dead however.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Also lol that voice acting, that everything, mobile games are trash and in no way informs how the remake is going to turn out.

Yeah, but that's the Cloud voice they've always used.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh, I think the only time I've heard Cloud speak in English before now is KH1

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sunning posted:

It's very different from the first two games in that there is a big PvP/eSports focus. The community seems dead however.

The thread here for the mobile Dissidia gets more posts than the console one, and a ton of people in the console thread were just there asking for the code that comes with NT that gives you good drops in the mobile game.

Making you grind offline matches to unlock tiny bits of a story (because doing online matches takes longer because of the hosed matchmaking and dead community) was a huge mistake. There's almost nothing to do in that game otherwise.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like his English voice though it could use better direction. FF has spotty vd in lots of games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The english direction from 13 to before 15 has been super poo poo despite fantastic casting choices. Lightning is probably one of Ali Hillis's worst major roles.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It took them two voiced games to realise that allowing you to rename the main character was a crime for dialogue.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

EmmyOk posted:

It took them two voiced games to realise that allowing you to rename the main character was a crime for dialogue.

Nah it's fine as long as you have a nickname everyone automatically supersedes your name with.

Bonus points if everyone has a unique nickname for the protag.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Nah its cool, just give them an unchangeable last name that everyone refers the main character as!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Is the new Dissidia fun?

In addition to what everyone else said they turned it into a 3v3 game without much consideration or mechanical finesse so its a bad game all around.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

In addition to what everyone else said they turned it into a 3v3 game without much consideration or mechanical finesse so its a bad game all around.

I actually don't mind this much, it works when you're playing people online and you have to sort of watch each other's backs (and when there isn't a single person in the match with a bad connection, but I digress).

What doesn't work is in single player your party's AI is based on how much you've grinded their player level, so when you first start you'll get the entire enemy team deciding to gank you specifically while your AI just fucks off into the corner.

Also time outs resort in a loss for both teams, even if you were mid combo about to score a winning kill and the enemy team hasn't killed a single person from yours.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Nu-Cloud was a mistake.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kingdom Hearts Cloud is Vincent, but he's not as popular so they just put a Cloud skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah it's fine as long as you have a nickname everyone automatically supersedes your name with.

Bonus points if everyone has a unique nickname for the protag.

Star Player of the Zanarkand Abes