Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yeah same, happened when I was trying to magnetize aggressors. I just said gently caress it and glued the bolters on. If I want flamers, I'll buy the easy build ones for $35. Which I might when I do Salamanders.

Anyone have good recommendations for 40k content? Like articles, analysis, reviews, etc. I know this is probably divisive so maybe tell me what's out there and I'll decide, or you can provide me your strong opinions.

In my personal opinion: 1d4chan > 40k Wikia >> Lexicanum in terms of wikis but 1d4 isn't nearly as comprehensive as either. You need to read 1d4 skeptically (and if you go off the well-trod 40k path it gets :shudder: real loving quickly) but the other two fall hard into the Wiki habit of "This one thing happened once so I'm going to report it as if it's a common thing" which, in a universe as defined by shades of grey as 40k is, bugs the poo poo out of me.

Take, for example, Amberley Vail's off-hand remark that Sulla was the only woman to reach general's rank in the Imperial Guard, Lexicanum ties itself into knots regarding this "Canon Conflict" rather than going with the obvious answers:

• Amberly wasn't a Guard officer so who the gently caress cares?
  • her comment is meant as a local truth not a universaltruth and her readers would understand this to mean: "First General in (this or that theater, crusade, sector)"
  • Female Generals are rare relative to male ones and Amberly hadn't heard of/met one before.
  • This isn't a loving "Cannon Conflict" you goddamn sperg.

Also, I think Lexicanum's writers are mostly German and the English occasionally comes off stilted. In the past Lexicanum tended to be much better than 40k Wikia on FFG RPG material but this is less true now.

YMMV.
:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Soooooon....

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

One_Wing posted:

Soooooon....

Its a dumb plane and you're a bad person for using it. :colbert:

That said I imagine it'll be less of a problem now that it cant deep strike turn 1 into my side of the board and delete any 1 unit of my dudes.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Artum posted:

Its a dumb plane and you're a bad person for using it. :colbert:

That said I imagine it'll be less of a problem now that it cant deep strike turn 1 into my side of the board and delete any 1 unit of my dudes.

It is actually handsome, fast and strong, and you take back those mean things you said to it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Schadenboner posted:

All-primaris force painted like pre-Heresy Iron Warriors, probably with a different chapter badge (as they're Iron Hands successors and head-related iconography is still seen as in somewhat poor taste).

Is this awesome: (y/n)

I think they look good.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thundercloud posted:

I think they look good.

The wide open spaces on the Primarii call to me.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

In my personal opinion: 1d4chan >> 40k Wikia >>>>> Lexicanum in terms of wikis but 1d4 isn't nearly as comprehensive as either. You need to read 1d4 skeptically but the other two fall hard into the Wiki habit of "This one thing happened once so I'm going to report it as if it's a common thing" which, in a universe as defined by shades of grey as 40k is, bugs the poo poo out of me.

Take, for example, Amberley Vail's off-hand remark that Sulla was the only woman to reach general's rank in the Imperial Guard, Lexicanum ties itself into knots regarding this "Canon Conflict" rather than going with the obvious answers:

• her comment is meant as a local truth not a global truth (and her readers would understand this).
  • Female Lords Generals are rare relative to male ones and Amberly hadn't heard of/met one before.

Also, I think Lexicanum's writers are mostly German and the English occasionally comes off stilted. In the past Lexicanum tended to be much better than 40k Wikia on FFG RPG material but this is less true now.

YMMV.
:shrug:

Lexicanum tends to be far less complete, but also doesn't gently caress with fan interpretations or headcanon bullshit. 40k wiki will go into analysis and try to resolve conflicts, and has a lot more stuff on there that isn't well sourced but probably comes out of a forge world book somewhere rather than someone's head. Probably.

Lexicanum is good for solid info with sources. 40k wiki is more complete and good to fill in specifics if you are looking for details for an RPG, but is sometimes a bit off or someone's interpretation.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Ross Perowned posted:

I'm getting into 40k for the first time, and I'm thinking of picking up Tyranids. 1) Are they a good army for people starting off? 2) Doing a little research the first things I want to buy are two of the Starter box and possibly a Hive Tyrant. How would you spend your first $400?

Tyranids can be rough on new players because the main/classic way to play the army is with hordes of gribblies, which can burn out anyone. Genestealers aren't so bad to run en masse, though, and paint up fairly easily. 2 Start Collecting! boxes and a Hive Tyrant would be a great way to start.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Genestealers aren't so bad to run en masse, though, and paint up fairly easily.

Colour scheme dependent mind you, I was about ready to pull my fingernails out after painting 13 of the space hulk stealers.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Aw yeah, got that 40k bad boy notification in my inbox just in time for my evening run. Sweet dulcet tones of the 40k badcast guiding my feet along the track.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
THIS WEEK ON THE 40k BADCAST:
- British history from people who weren't there
- FAQgettabout it, we're talking the 40k FAQ
- Who is the most goth Primarch?
- A throwaway line about horsefights that I wish we went further with in hindsight
https://40kbadcast.com/2018/04/23/40k-badcast-28-what-to-do-at-a-horsefight/

ToyotaThong posted:

Happy Day!

I came home from work, and my 40k BADCAST shirt had arrived!

Got a GT this weekend, gonna show those fools I'm not only bad at 40k, but I'm also bad at fashion.

By not wearing camo cargo shorts and a Rick and Morty shirt, you'll already be in the winner's circle for the fashion game

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zeal posted:

rhinos and preds are variations on the same STC template but the degree to which it's tech heresy to treat them as fully modular and refit them as such would vary with the techpriest/marine conducting the procedure

Forget just the pred, here's all the currently canon variants on the Rhino chassis:

Razorback
Predator
Immolator
Repressor
Vindicator
Whirlwind
Saber
Exorcist
Hunter
Stalker
Grav-Rhino
Repulsor

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The Repulsor is pretty obviously Land Raider based if you get your hands on one.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

SRM posted:

By not wearing camo cargo shorts and a Rick and Morty shirt, you'll already be in the winner's circle for the fashion game

I feel personally attacked.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pendent posted:

The Repulsor is pretty obviously Land Raider based if you get your hands on one.

Oh, thought it was just a rhino with anti-grav plates slapped on.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cythereal posted:

Supposedly it's the next generation of metal boxes.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Nope, land raider with more guns and worse armour.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Artum posted:

Nope, land raider with more guns and worse armour.

Fair enough, still leaves the actual Grav-Rhino which was a 30k Custodes thing.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Fair enough, still leaves the actual Grav-Rhino which was a 30k Custodes thing.

The moment we get a sub-land raider transport I'm gonna be all over that poo poo.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Artum posted:

The moment we get a sub-land raider transport I'm gonna be all over that poo poo.

The grav carrier looks p. deece?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

The grav carrier looks p. deece?

Sure, but it's a land raider equivalent. I think he's talking about a sub 150 pt Primaris transport.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

NovemberMike posted:

Sure, but it's a land raider equivalent. I think he's talking about a sub 150 pt Primaris transport.

They’re all TEQs, no Rhino for Goldie.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The precedent seems to be that you can fit as many Primaris in as you can normal marines, you just need additional head room (so primaris can't go in a land raider, but 10 of them can go in something the size of a land raider).

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

NovemberMike posted:

The precedent seems to be that you can fit as many Primaris in as you can normal marines, you just need additional head room (so primaris can't go in a land raider, but 10 of them can go in something the size of a land raider).

and the Repulsor floats high enough that the regular Marines can't jump in

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Its been a bit since I posted this fella, but I added a few more bits to him and I think this kitty's ready for paint.

The ForgeSphinx

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SRM posted:

If it's not Corvus Corax I want my money back.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
xposting from the paint thread because I am happy with how this turned out.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cessna posted:

If it's not Corvus Corax I want my money back.

He's gonna have to slug it out with Konrad Curze, Space Vampire.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

He's gonna have to slug it out with Konrad Curze, Space Vampire.

Sanguinius is the vampire. Curze is 40k Batman.

The Raven Guard's increasing thing recently is being Native American, which is rather not goth, so I'd give the nod to Curze.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If we're going aesthetic then Corvus, if we're going dour self-loathing then Mortarion.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I regret to inform you gentlemen/ladies/others/space wizards that I am back on my robotic bullshit.

The Djetzt'Orrh Dynasty mobilizes for slaughter and nihilistic laughs once again, sending Heavy Destroyers to gauss the poo poo out of things that are entirely too alive.

The omnicidal clowns themselves.

Micro Sol and Micro Set are rad.

Most of the markings read "gently caress your homeostasis" or "I hate breathers."

I've wanted to do heavy conversions in Necrons for a long time, and painting simple metal skellymans is a nice change of pace from the constant barrage of Tyranids. Next up is some magnetized Gauss Blasters for my Tomb Blades, a 3rd party Deceiver, some HQs, and an MDF Pylon. Then I intend to convert some Acanthrites and Canoptek Tomb Sentinels out of Wraiths.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I regret to inform you gentlemen/ladies/others/space wizards that I am back on my robotic bullshit.

The Djetzt'Orrh Dynasty mobilizes for slaughter and nihilistic laughs once again, sending Heavy Destroyers to gauss the poo poo out of things that are entirely too alive.

The omnicidal clowns themselves.

Micro Sol and Micro Set are rad.

Most of the markings read "gently caress your homeostasis" or "I hate breathers."

I've wanted to do heavy conversions in Necrons for a long time, and painting simple metal skellymans is a nice change of pace from the constant barrage of Tyranids. Next up is some magnetized Gauss Blasters for my Tomb Blades, a 3rd party Deceiver, some HQs, and an MDF Pylon. Then I intend to convert some Acanthrites and Canoptek Tomb Sentinels out of Wraiths.

Nice Decepticrons.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, guys; I think I found a fix for the lovely names GW gave the Eldar in 8th (Asuryani, Aeldari, Drukhari, Ynnari).

Just drop the 'i' at the end! It sounds so much better!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

SRM posted:

THIS WEEK ON THE 40k BADCAST:
- British history from people who weren't there
- FAQgettabout it, we're talking the 40k FAQ
- A throwaway line about horsefights that I wish we went further with in hindsight
https://40kbadcast.com/2018/04/23/40k-badcast-28-what-to-do-at-a-horsefight/

Do you think you could kill a horse if all you had was a knife?

I think I'd probably get kicked to death, but a quicker person might do it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Magnet talk:

Themagnetbaron.com

Saw these guys at LVO, they don't have the selection of K&J but they have cool magnetic flight stand kits that hold models really secure.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Schadenboner posted:

In my personal opinion: 1d4chan > 40k Wikia >> Lexicanum in terms of wikis but 1d4 isn't nearly as comprehensive as either. You need to read 1d4 skeptically (and if you go off the well-trod 40k path it gets :shudder: real loving quickly) but the other two fall hard into the Wiki habit of "This one thing happened once so I'm going to report it as if it's a common thing" which, in a universe as defined by shades of grey as 40k is, bugs the poo poo out of me.

• her comment is meant as a local truth not a universaltruth and her readers would understand this to mean: "First General in (this or that theater, crusade, sector)"
  • Female Generals are rare relative to male ones and Amberly hadn't heard of/met one before.

I mean, it's not like that's even a hard one. The Imperium loses entire chapters of SM for centuries at a time because of bad accounting, you think they can keep up with the paperwork on Guard promotions?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Speaking of Guard ranks & pomotions. What’s the deal with Ibram Gaunt being a ‘Commissar-Colonel’? I read First & Only a long, long time ago and I sort of remember the justification given in the book, but I’m more interested in the meta sense of his holding the rank. Was there a precedent for this role in the canon before? Why did Abnett want to make him a Commissar as well, seeing as he (rarely) seems to do Commissar stuff? Is it due to him being an Off-Worlder to Tanith / do regimental commanders ever get attached to their regiment from another world?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
He got it as a political appointment because the guy leading the Crusade liked him. IIRC, the books mention that Commissars are almost never from the same world as their regiments in order to make sure they don't have loyalties outside the job. Gaunt was expected to advance quickly, but he no sooner took command of three brand-new regiments from Tanith than the planet and two thirds of the troops were destroyed by a Chaos fleet, and he only saved the First by dragging them off-planet rather than letting them die defending it.

Gaunt's whole shtick is that he's what Guard officers are meant to be. A genuinely upright and incorruptible yet vicious rear end in a top hat who cares deeply about his troops but does not hesitate to spend their lives however will best serve the Imperium and who leads from the front. He's wasted as a Commissar because he has a reputation for not playing politics the way the High Lords of Terra expect, which is bad news for a political officer, but is unflinchingly loyal to the Imperial Truth.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 24, 2018

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I know, someone from my FLGS me three pods on Sprues for $25 each, but I can't justify the purchase, even though I absolutely love the look of drop pods. Sigh.

If you're in the states, buy them and then immediately sell them to me hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Irate Tree posted:

Nice Decepticrons.

:vince: