Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That's great! Good kitty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

i would 100% lose my hands because i would not be able to resist THAT FLOOFY BELLY :kimchi:

Actually you wouldn't, he loves tummy rubs - pretty much any attention really - half the time when I wake up he's laying underneath my feet. Most you might is a tiny gentle love nip. No blood and no pain - unlike when the other cat was a kitten and would draw blood with teeth and claws if I so much as went near his stomach - but fortunatly he's 15ish old and lazy and for the most part can't be bothered anymore.

kaworu posted:

You not only look very eerily like me, but so does your cat.

Goddammit. I'm never going to find the right buy to marry and I'm going to die alone living with cats, aren't I? :sigh:

And Jackie looks SOOOO much like Pound Cake, and is also part Maine Coon. Here are a couple pics of Jackie:

You must admit there is some resemblance. I mean, Jackie is 12 so she's a bit bigger and she's polydactyl... I couldn't tell if your kitty was...

Anyway I'm more jealous. I may have a cat who considers me her mom but I don't have a husband. Can't seem to figure out that secret. I *could* have a husband, actually, I can think of one rich and successful but not so attractive man who may say yes and another younger much more sexually attractive guy who probably would say yes after 3 months. Maybe I am just afraid of making the EFFORT

but dammit. i dont wanna die alone and i really want to be part of a family again :cry:

PS: On a happier note, regarding Jackie's floofy bellly fur, YES she will let pretty much amyone bury their famcdx xvklls

His last check up he weighed 19.x lbs -vet even said he only seems a tiny bit over weight from feeling how much was fat/muscle etc.... however vets measure that stuff. I forgot to ask but judging from the size of his paws seems like he still has some growing to do. Unfortunatly he's not one of the polydactly cats - which I kind of wish he was but also don't - a friend of mine had a regular tabby that was one and always made carpet pulling sounds when just walking around. and Jackie does look very much like Poundy - belly and all - just seems to me a little darker colored.

We were together for about 10 years before we got married, going on 15 years now- I forget how many years gay marriage was legal back then - and marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be HAHA.

Edit: Oh yeah - only cat I have been able to train to actually scratch the scratching post and not the carpet, door mat, couches etc... - It didn't even take that long to train him.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 24, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Actually you wouldn't, he loves tummy rubs - pretty much any attention really - half the time when I wake up he's laying underneath my feet. Most you might is a tiny gentle love nip. No blood and no pain - unlike when the other cat was a kitten and would draw blood with teeth and claws if I so much as went near his stomach - but fortunatly he's 15ish old and lazy and for the most part can't be bothered anymore.

His last check up he weighed 19.x lbs -vet even said he only seems a tiny bit over weight from feeling how much was fat/muscle etc.... however vets measure that stuff. I forgot to ask but judging from the size of his paws seems like he still has some growing to do. Unfortunatly he's not one of the polydactly cats - which I kind of wish he was but also don't - a friend of mine had a regular tabby that was one and always made carpet pulling sounds when just walking around. and Jackie does look very much like Poundy - belly and all - just seems to me a little darker colored.

We were together for about 10 years before we got married, going on 15 years now- I forget how many years gay marriage was legal back then - and marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be HAHA.

Edit: Oh yeah - only cat I have been able to train to actually scratch the scratching post and not the carpet, door mat, couches etc... - It didn't even take that long to train him.

Yup, you've got a Maine Coon. They're giant, super chill cuddlebugs with ridiculous amounts of fluff.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Anyone ever tried these things for dry food? They're little plastic mouse shaped food holders that the cats have to find hidden around the house and then knock around to get the food to fall out of. It's supposed to resemble hunting. Here's ours giving it a try:

Now they're back on wet food but these were nice to have when one of them got put on a special dry-only allergen free diet. Dishwasher safe, but also very expensive so maybe you could get the same effect out of some especially easy puzzle balls by hiding them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Gizmo likes the no bowl mice pretty well. The real problem is that my partner and I can be rather lazy and then resort to the regular food bowl. (Especially since Evil Gizmo gets wet food once a day.)

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Anyone ever tried these things for dry food? They're little plastic mouse shaped food holders that the cats have to find hidden around the house and then knock around to get the food to fall out of. It's supposed to resemble hunting. Here's ours giving it a try:

I have never tried that particular one but I have tried Slim Cat and the dry food just winds up all over the place and underneath everything and it either drops nothing or near all of it at once with my cat's particular type of food. (and placing into one of those disposable aluminum pans doesn't work because there isn't enough room for it to work.)

I have also tried Catit food maze one cat won't eat or even try and use it, the other just slaps it and knocks it over and gets all the food he wants.

I Haven't tried using either with Pound Cake because the cat I really need it for they don't work for so they get a measured amount during the day and during the night in general.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I have the food maze, one of my cats uses it beautifully and never realised she could knock it over intentionally, the other cat would just try to bite the plastic and be sad that she was biting plastic and not food. She did eventually learn to come running when she heard the other cat getting food from it, which I suppose is one kind of problem-solving.

I just use bowls now because no good spot to have cat food flying around and they get enough stimulation from their cat run.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My stupid cat has figured out how to knock over his auto-feeder, which is startling to my downstairs neighbors and self-defeating because it won't feed him then! But he just won't listen. Can I weight this thing down, or tie it down, in some way that he won't destroy?

Normally the plug and wires are covered up by the feeder, so I'm less worried about him getting at them if he can't knock the whole thing over.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You could try strapping it in place with duct tape, zip ties, cables etc.

for the ultimate cat feeder protection though, go with plate steel: http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=3023

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I had a similar situation with a flower vase the cat kept spilling over. I have some butyl caulk for car stuff and happen to know that gojo hand cleaner dissolves it away fully despite it being super messy and sticky otherwise. Butyl caulk stays sticky and deformable forever so you can keep re-using the same potentially pre-stretched or flattened blob of it left on the same spot. I just stuck some of that to our glass table where the vase goes and it's impossible to knock down now. Whenever I need to lift the vase to refill it I just slowly peel it off (it damps out fast movements but slowly can be pulled just fine). If we ever want to relocate the vase, a coat of GOJO hand cleaner over the spot wiped off after an hour will take the mess away without a trace. I use it to stick all sorts of things to walls, etc.

This is the exact product I use for all my miracle gluing / fastening needs around the house.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/extruded-butyl-rope-ebr

The correct GOJO: https://www.amazon.com/Gojo-1115-ORIGINAL-FORMULA-Cleaner/dp/B00065TST8

It being rope is convenient because it's almost solid and you can just keep ripping small pieces off the rope and unrolling it as you need forever. Just store the roll somewhere where it won't lay on any fabric or anything or it will gradually sink in like silly putty and you'll need solvents to get the stain out.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 24, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Synthbuttrange posted:

You could try strapping it in place with duct tape, zip ties, cables etc.

for the ultimate cat feeder protection though, go with plate steel: http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=3023

I use this and as far as I can tell it's not tippable. The lovely plastic ring that wraps the bowl breaks, but it's got no purpose.. Strap it to a wall (or just put it next to one), not the floor.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Organza Quiz posted:

I have the food maze, one of my cats uses it beautifully and never realised she could knock it over intentionally, the other cat would just try to bite the plastic and be sad that she was biting plastic and not food. She did eventually learn to come running when she heard the other cat getting food from it, which I suppose is one kind of problem-solving.

I just use bowls now because no good spot to have cat food flying around and they get enough stimulation from their cat run.

Yeah the slim cat I have just given up on, but I still keep the food maze around (without food) until I decide I don't want to be lazy and attach it to the wall or floor some how - but lazy.

I use to free feed with a gravity feeder to make things easier - but because of weight issues with the one cat - that's why I tried the slim cat and the catit maze. - It's easier just to portion out the food and put into a bowl. I still keep the gravity feeder around for the occasional weekend trip. I think they love it when we go away - they get all the food they want whenever they want for a couple days.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My stupid cat has figured out how to knock over his auto-feeder, which is startling to my downstairs neighbors and self-defeating because it won't feed him then! But he just won't listen. Can I weight this thing down, or tie it down, in some way that he won't destroy?

Normally the plug and wires are covered up by the feeder, so I'm less worried about him getting at them if he can't knock the whole thing over.

Silly cats and knocking over their food things!

Is that one of the AmazonBasics cat trees? it looks like the one I have (Large: which isn't that large but for the price the cats love it). There were nicer ones for only a little more of varying types of levels (and brands) but that one fit into the space I wanted to put it into.

And the Twirl and Whirl fits onto it perfectly and the cats love it. - I don't think we got it from Amazon - but it's just easier to find a product there and link to it.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 24, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Plate armour.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Moo Moo went house shopping yesterday

Is this my new house

Are you serious, this house looks like a trap

No privacy in this one

Too boring, this house puts me to sleep

Is this one a cow house as well

House?

...House?

Ugh, enough. I, a cat, can MAKE a better house than all of these. I'll build my own

Just roll out the flooring and I'm good to go

All done

https://www.instagram.com/moo_squared/

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 26, 2018

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Those were good adventures.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Well finally made some progress with Otto. He's still hides in his carrier every time I come in the room, but he actually purred a bit when I sat down and pet him for a while. No idea if the Feliaway diffuser is actually doing anything, but I guess I'll see in another two weeks if finally stops hiding in there anytime I vaguely make a noise near the room.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Remember when our one cat had trouble pooping a couple weeks back, we went to the vet, had her x-rayed at two in the AM, found nothing, had her given sedatives, and it seemed to clear up?

So the little furball puked this up today after a couple days of daily puking and intense grazing:

That key went missing a couple months back. I thought it was stuck in some cranny somewhere but apparently nope, all eaten up. I’ve since thrown the keyboard away because it stopped working so I can’t check but I’m 99.9% sure that was the only key still missing. Since we realized she loves to knead keyboards we started turning them upside down so we’re cool on that front. Phew.

If she keeps up the puking (she seems well otherwise) we’re gonna take her in and tell the vet it might be some plastic :homebrew:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is cat indeed.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Thought for a second that was a novelty d6, still believed it was totally probable cat behavior. Hope there are no more keys inside the little nutcase!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My wife and I adopted a girl cat on Sunday because we wanted a friend for our boy cat who's usually left alone when we're out to work (and because we wanted more cats, because why not right). Since they're both adults, we knew that getting them to get along would take time, and I read the part of the OP about integrating two cats.

We've only been letting them interact with each other while under supervision, because our boy cat is still antagonistic towards the new girl, but then I realized over the past hour that the way he "attacks" her from behind might be him trying to mate with her?

Is that what it looks like?
Is it conceivable that he'd be trying to mate with her after only knowing her for less than a week?
Does the girl cat have any say in this? I've been breaking them up before there's really any physical contact, so I don't know if she would (or could) throw him off herself
We don't really want more kittens. Is there a way to make them NOT mate (if that's really what this is) short of neutering one of them?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

gradenko_2000 posted:

My wife and I adopted a girl cat on Sunday because we wanted a friend for our boy cat who's usually left alone when we're out to work (and because we wanted more cats, because why not right). Since they're both adults, we knew that getting them to get along would take time, and I read the part of the OP about integrating two cats.

We've only been letting them interact with each other while under supervision, because our boy cat is still antagonistic towards the new girl, but then I realized over the past hour that the way he "attacks" her from behind might be him trying to mate with her?

Is that what it looks like?
Is it conceivable that he'd be trying to mate with her after only knowing her for less than a week?
Does the girl cat have any say in this? I've been breaking them up before there's really any physical contact, so I don't know if she would (or could) throw him off herself
We don't really want more kittens. Is there a way to make them NOT mate (if that's really what this is) short of neutering one of them?

Neuter both ASAP

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Holy poo poo yes :sever:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Do you want everything you own to get sprayed? Because owning an intact male cat is a pretty good way to get that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah unless you are planning on breeding you 100% want to get them both fixed.

Because yeah they will be randy as gently caress and you will have kittens, spraying, and all kinds of weird noises.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I am visiting my parents to help them with a few things, and their email last week about getting a new cat now makes sense. There is a furry monster that lives under the couch and swipes at any feet it can reach. It also makes weird noises at random times.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does the girl cat have any say in this?

:cripes:

Cats don't do courtship, they are slaves to their hormones. And yes if you lock a brother and sister in the same house they will gently caress - they are animals ok?

A previous post on the subject.

Ratzap posted:

The male will get more aggressive and start to smell pretty bad (intact tom piss reeks). Given half a chance he'll abscond to roam around looking for queens in season, a lot of them end up squashed on the roads doing this and he may not bother coming back.

The girl will come into season: this will be confusing and unpleasant for her, messy and annoying for you. She will lie on the floor wafting her tail and yelling to bring the rafters down - "Come and get it! Fresh pussy!". Eventually she'll bleed and that stuff doesn't smell too nice either. Or she'll be gangbanged by any toms that smell her and manage to gain access. Cat ovulation is stimulated by pain, that's why the toms bite the back of the queens neck and his penis is covered in tiny backward pointing barbs (which apart from the pain in vagina angle, also help extract any semen plug another tom left).

Don't dither, just get them done. Now. Before they start, especially the girl.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
https://i.imgur.com/0makdKE.mp4

Sick kitten. Got close enough to pick it up and it has a sore on its belly, little bit of blood. Should I try and get this kitten to a shelter that can do something for it or should I just leave it with its mother?

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 26, 2018

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yep, shelter. If you can get the mom too, then bonus. It looks like her ear is tipped to show she's been spay but, well, we see what good a job they did if that is the case.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Well, now the mom hid it and I can't hear it yowling any more. If I see it again and it isn't doing any better then I'll take it to the shelter.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Look into rescues first. Vets might have recommendations on who to call. A rescue uses skilled foster parents and covers vet bills and gets cats adopted, whereas a shelter houses the animals. Many shelters can't take in sick animals for a variety of reasons, infectious disease being one of them. A rescue might be better equipped to house the kitten in isolation. The kitten looks like it might be old enough to wean but it's hard to tell from the short video. Am I wrong or does it looks like kittens eyes are swollen?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
My cat is 16 years old and has thyroid and dental problems and a wheezing cough. He'd been on the felimazole, 10mg a day, and I took him to a new vet a few weeks ago and they increased the dosage to 15mg a day (3 pills a day) and will check him in a month. For the cough they recommended X-rays next time I come in with an estimate of $238. For the teeth they are recommending pretty much total extraction with an estimate of $1600 to $2000. It seems like I am at the max dosage for felimazole and I don't think it's working so there's a good chance they will recommend radioactive iodine treatment which would probably be another $1500 or so.

I don't think I can justify spending $3000-$4000 to keep a old, toothless cat alive for another few years. But it's really hard. I guess I always assumed he would just die, or I'd get advice from a vet like, "He's in pain and it's time to put him down." But instead it's a financial decision I have to make so I feel like a horrible person because I love my old smelly cat but I don't $4000 love him.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

My cat is 16 years old and has thyroid and dental problems and a wheezing cough. He'd been on the felimazole, 10mg a day, and I took him to a new vet a few weeks ago and they increased the dosage to 15mg a day (3 pills a day) and will check him in a month. For the cough they recommended X-rays next time I come in with an estimate of $238. For the teeth they are recommending pretty much total extraction with an estimate of $1600 to $2000. It seems like I am at the max dosage for felimazole and I don't think it's working so there's a good chance they will recommend radioactive iodine treatment which would probably be another $1500 or so.

I don't think I can justify spending $3000-$4000 to keep a old, toothless cat alive for another few years. But it's really hard. I guess I always assumed he would just die, or I'd get advice from a vet like, "He's in pain and it's time to put him down." But instead it's a financial decision I have to make so I feel like a horrible person because I love my old smelly cat but I don't $4000 love him.

I don't think you're a bad person. Ask your vet about quality of life measures and palliative care, and be real about your financial limitations. I love my pets as much as anyone else, but in your shoes I'd probably be weighing the same options. Others may disagree with me (I'm sure they will) but I don't feel that pets benefit from prolonging life for the sake of life the way many humans might. They can't understand their pain and they don't know what death is. And god damnit, I've had a day and I'm crying a bit while I write this because I know how hard it is to say goodbye (I lost an 11 year old cat to cancer a few years ago after electing not to do chemo) but sometimes the best thing you can do is let them stop when they can't be happy anymore. It's SO hard to decide when that is, but better a week too soon than a day too late. Good luck, and go snuggle that stinky old cat for me.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I got the kitten, and took it to the vet. At the vet, we agreed to leave it to the shelter. The kitten is now at the shelter. Sorry to darken your day.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Wulfolme posted:

I got the kitten, and took it to the vet. At the vet, we agreed to leave it to the shelter. The kitten is now at the shelter. Sorry to darken your day.

Darken? No. That's great! You've given it probably the best chance at a happy life off the streets short of also catching mom so they can be together and wean properly. Ask your shelter if they loan out live traps.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Wulfolme posted:

I agree with Boogalo; you got that kitten medical attention and a safe place, and that's fantastic. Well done.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

NotWearingPants posted:

16 is not young for a cat, and even assuming all this treatment worked as intended (which is by no means guaranteed) you might well find it's less another few years, more a few months. My mom's cat is 17 and he has tooth problems too, but they are reluctant to do anything requiring general anesthetic on a cat that old, so we're just doing what we can to get him soft food and stuff. If you are on like a real good 6 figure income or something then I would probably go for the treatment but for most of us, that would be a pretty darn big financial hit for possibly a very small gain. I agree with asking about palliative care, painkillers might be enough to keep the teeth issue at bay and give him some QoL for awhile yet, for example.

You are not a horrible person for living in an imperfect reality that sometimes demands that kind of calculation. Give him the best you can for however long remains, keep his suffering to a minimum, and you will have done right by him.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Look, if you really feel bad about it and know you can't take care of a sick old cat even though you want to, don't let the hardship end your cycle of good cat ownership. The next one won't be the same, but adopt a cat that needs a home, trust you'll find new love, and apply your strained resources to a cat that will continue to benefit from the time, money, and effort and not ruin your (and your cat's) quality of life.

Pet ownership comes with the burden of having to decide when and how they have to leave you. Being honest with yourself about that makes all the moments you don't have to make that choice extra valuable, and the concept won't sneak up on you at the end or when you least expect it.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 27, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

That sounds harsh, but I just always feel bad when people go through this difficult moment and choose not to adopt again (or bankrupt themselves chasing a difficult treatment) when, if anything, it makes you the best kind of owner that you care at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

effika posted:

Neuter both ASAP

EightBit posted:

Do you want everything you own to get sprayed? Because owning an intact male cat is a pretty good way to get that.

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah unless you are planning on breeding you 100% want to get them both fixed.

Because yeah they will be randy as gently caress and you will have kittens, spraying, and all kinds of weird noises.

Ratzap posted:

:cripes:

Cats don't do courtship, they are slaves to their hormones. And yes if you lock a brother and sister in the same house they will gently caress - they are animals ok?

A previous post on the subject.
Thank you. I will cop to being a dumbass. We're having the boy neutered tomorrow, but the girl has a slight eye issue that the vet told us to clear up first before hers can be done, so maybe in a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

It's good to see you're now on the path of least stupidity, at least where your cats are concerned. Nyan Farr is bloody inconvenient for everyone involved.

You think girl cats want their necks bit and their lady caves scratched to poo poo? You think boy cats want to announce to predators and prey alike that they're nearby?

Even if by some miracle they made no kittens while intact, the mating game takes a big chunk out of a cat's time. They got things they'd rather be doing, like sleep and chase shadows in the middle of the night and ask their human to put them on the windowsill because they don't know if they can make the jump they just made ten minutes ago.