Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

~Coxy posted:

LOMA, please.

MOBA makes no sense because that describes literally every game ever. (Plus why does a LOMA need to be online?)
FARTS doesn't really make sense because it's not strategic, and doesn't really have any RTS elements besides.

"AoS type map"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Prav posted:

no one wants to acknowledge it but mobas are RTS games
imo RTSes biggest problem as far as not being as big as MOBAs is that they're usually designed around 1v1 being the primary mode (e.g. balance is based on 1v1, 1v1 maps usually get the most attention from the devs and community, tournaments are 1v1, etc.). Just look at sports, the biggest team sports like football, soccer, and basketball are vastly bigger than the biggest individual sports like tennis or golf. People are social creatures, they like playing in a team. If Warcraft 4 is designed around 3v3 or 4v4 or something like that, the number of people playing 'standard'/ladder would skyrocket compared to War3/SC2.

Of course, it'd be a goddamn nightmare for eSports. Can be hard enough to track some players in Starcraft when they have a main fight + harass going on simultaneously, with 3v3 you could have 5 or 6 fights going on at once.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and "ladder anxiety" is lessened when you have other people to blame.

~Coxy posted:

FARTS doesn't really make sense because it's not strategic, and doesn't really have any RTS elements besides.

it controls like one especially if you play a hero with minions. it's literally an rts map. (and real time strategy games aren't actually strategy games they're tactics games.)

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 18, 2018

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

and "ladder anxiety" is lessened when you have other people to blame.
This is so real and a big reason for team games being more popular. I've played a ton of 1v1 and love the format but even so I'd often jump into games of meaningless 4v4RT because the pressure of a solo felt too high. It doesn't help that WC3 is such a micro intensive game so it takes a lot of effort to try hard.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
RTS games arent actually fun for most people if you play them in a way that's remotely effective. Pretty much nobody knew how to actually play RTSes when SC and even when WC3 came out so no one knew better. Now that we have youtube average ranked play is way beyond the level of work that most people find fun.

Like SC2 played at even a platinum level these days is unrecognizable compared to what comes to people naturally, whereas games like DotA or melee still feel like the same game even when good people are playing.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Anybody still playing 1.29? I'd do something besides solo queue tonight (EST).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cicero posted:

imo RTSes biggest problem as far as not being as big as MOBAs is that they're usually designed around 1v1 being the primary mode (e.g. balance is based on 1v1, 1v1 maps usually get the most attention from the devs and community, tournaments are 1v1, etc.). Just look at sports, the biggest team sports like football, soccer, and basketball are vastly bigger than the biggest individual sports like tennis or golf. People are social creatures, they like playing in a team. If Warcraft 4 is designed around 3v3 or 4v4 or something like that, the number of people playing 'standard'/ladder would skyrocket compared to War3/SC2.

Of course, it'd be a goddamn nightmare for eSports. Can be hard enough to track some players in Starcraft when they have a main fight + harass going on simultaneously, with 3v3 you could have 5 or 6 fights going on at once.

I feel like they could spin something special around a Warcraft 4 multiplayer that focused on expanding on the systems of Starcraft 2 co-op.

Which is to say, I agree, teams are more interesting and fun.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.twitch.tv/angry_korea_man AKM has been streaming wc3 again, good fun to watch

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

emdash posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/angry_korea_man AKM has been streaming wc3 again, good fun to watch

This is amazing, thank you for sharing. Did not know until this post.

I abandoned all "pro" strats for bloodmage + militia level 3 rush + be an rear end in a top hat with invisibility and the staff of teleport a long, long, time ago because of this man and his beautiful work.

Is he actually even Korean? I always imagined a white kid from Maryland, to be honest.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fanatic posted:

Patch 1.29 is now live! But... it's broken for me and most other people and Blizzard have said that they're working on a hot fix.

Full list of changes: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762137149?page=1

I was watching the recently posted AKM twitch and somebody said the DH sucks now on account of the mana burn nerf. But I definitely don't see one.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Mana burn was increased by 10 Mana to cast, not a big deal.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the DH sucks now!!
*continues going DH first in every matchup*

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Keeper's buffs are making him a viable option more-so than the 10 mana alternation to DH's spell...

I like good old classic potm/keeper after the buffs with either archer + talon or hunt + dryad for most things, never got into using hippos

edit: Specifically, entangle at level 1 is real strong vs. ghouls and grunts

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

y'all talking about warcraft4 like wow didn't kill this IP

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i try to forget. i try to forget...

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I thought they already released Warcraft 4 and called it heroes of the storm

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Still waiting on any sort of Warcraft map in that game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

this is violence.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

this is probably the most dishonourable post I have ever read

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Warcraft4 in the Dota2 engine would make me 'jaculate

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

This post is a hate crime.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
No mass huntress rush, no sale.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

time for a joke posted:

y'all talking about warcraft4 like wow didn't kill this IP
WoW is still alive and reasonable healthy, Hearthstone going strong.

Honestly Warcraft 4 would be easy to make tons of money off of. Just make something like SC2's co-op mode but as a main pillar of the game, with campaigns and competitive co-op, and with lots of vanity items and extras to blow money on.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cicero posted:

Honestly Warcraft 4 would be easy to make tons of money off of. Just make something like SC2's co-op mode but as a main pillar of the game, with campaigns and competitive co-op, and with lots of vanity items and extras to blow money on.

someone once said Warcraft should be the experimental stuff and Stacraft should be the refinement of mechanics from Warcraft which was kinda a neat idea I thought.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cicero posted:

he means they killed the story. of course the ip isn't truly dead they can keep wringing money out of it until the end of time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Make WC4 in the vein of what they were planning with WC3 in early development. If done well, I'd kinda like to see how a competitive scene of the sort would go.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Make WC4 in the vein of what they were planning with WC3 in early development. If done well, I'd kinda like to see how a competitive scene of the sort would go.

You can't take a competitive scene for granted if you just toss a casual basebuilding RPG type thing at them and say "figure it out".

There's a lot of awesome stuff they can do with WC4 but its probably not going to be the stuff that didn't make the cut for WC3.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i want WC4 to be but ultra-high-def sprite-and-tile WC2 does The Burning Crusade

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Warcraft 3 was fun because of the campaign and custom maps. All the WC story is already in wow, and custom maps have turned into their own individual games. Competitive RTS (the mutated form that's left of it anyway) is SC2. There's no room for WC4 unless they make it a totally different game. The closest thing I can imagine is some kind of top down coop RTS/RPG hybrid where you build a base with a friend and then fight ever harder levels of the AI, but that wouldn't leave much room for huge playerbases so it'd probably have to be a fairly simple game.

I used to love RTS but ever since it became all about measuring yourself against some impossible bespectacled Korean standard of incredibly twitchy play i completely lost interest. RTS is supposed to be a chill genre that you can play and feel good about yourself, it's lost that long ago. I want to play against a goofy AI opponent that I can set elaborate traps for, not an insane human being.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 9, 2018

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

I used to love RTS but ever since it became all about measuring yourself against some impossible bespectacled Korean standard of incredibly twitchy play i completely lost interest. RTS is supposed to be a chill genre that you can play and feel good about yourself, it's lost that long ago. I want to play against a goofy AI opponent that I can set elaborate traps for, not an insane human being.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Let's not pretend that with all the time travel and alternate dimension bullshit that's already in the Warcraft story that they can't carve out their own storyline niche for WC4

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Coop against goofy AI opponents is usually fun. Unless the AI is more braindead than the average mouthbreather in 4v4 rt.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Like, my favorite RTS memory was playing Empire Earth with my roommate over the LAN against 2 hard AIs. The hard AI would cheat like crazy, had infinite money and would just poo poo out buildings and units and throw them at you. You couldn't win by rushing or offensive play, the way to go was to just turtle like crazy using the game's very strong walls in a small base in a corner, and then slowly but surely push outward, moving the perimeter ever so slightly further out to get more resources while upgrading technologies. By the end of the game we'd just be sending 10 nuclear bombers at once at his bases, which would destroy everything spectacularly only to be immediately rebuilt.

It wasn't really incredibly hard, it was just a matter of perseverence and a series of clever tricks and traps, and it was fun to do with friends. The closest thing to that that still exists is Supreme Commander but that game's already over a decade old.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It sounds like you want a game that's fundamentally exploitable and uncompetitive. Lots of people do, that's why UMS was so popular in SC and WC. But I don't think the core game modes of SC2 and WC3 being balanced is a fuckup.

The sort of game you describe isn't enjoyable for very long, which is why it works well with custom maps. But people just aren't making SC2 arcade mode maps for free as much as they used to, for a variety of reasons (including a lot of fuckups on blizzard's part).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 9, 2018

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
The UMS/Custom map scene isn't coming back, unless indie games were to suddenly stop existing for some reason.

The coop mode for SC2 is popular and could be the foundation for a whole new game. Instead of continuing the azeroth storyline, a future WC RTS could be level-based RTS challenges where you and some friends enter a portal to some random lore snippet and complete a coop-style mission together and take a portal to the next world, completing objectives against the AI or against other other players.

There's a lot of unexplored space in the RTS genre, but it doesn't seem like Blizzard is going to be the pioneers, and as much as I wish I were wrong it doesn't seem like WC4 is going to be announced anytime soon.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MisterZimbu posted:

Let's not pretend that with all the time travel and alternate dimension bullshit that's already in the Warcraft story that they can't carve out their own storyline niche for WC4

It doesn't help that WoW is so wildly different in tone and practically genre to what came before.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

starcraft becoming a competitive game was mostly a happy accident (which is true of most competitive games before it became a pure marketing thing).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Strategy and tactics games become competitive thanks mainly to diligent balance patches.

Shibawanko posted:

There's such a thing as casual play. For a long time in WC3's run it was extremely common.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

casual play is the foundation you build a competitive scene on.

companies like to try to do it backwards, which works about as well as building a house roof-first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

Strategy and tactics games become competitive thanks mainly to diligent balance patches.

brood war becoming the esport was mostly by accident. (and then it was mapmaking that truly made it shine.)