Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oh those sweet, sweet Vanguard vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Stanley Pain posted:

Oh those sweet, sweet Vanguard vibes.

So is there a countdown before the first "I was fired because I stopped letting Brad steal my pills" post shows up?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Other than the obvious worries that this will be a broken mess of Vanguard 2.0, I'm worried the devs drastically overestimate the audience for any "old school" MMO. At any given point, there are less than 10,000 people playing TLE servers for EQ and EQ2 plus P1999 and other nostalgia servers. I am obviously talking out of my rear end, but I'd guess you would need six figures players to have any hope at profitability.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

So is there a countdown before the first "I was fired because I stopped letting Brad steal my pills" post shows up?

I can't hear you over my nostalgia :homebrew:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Stanley Pain posted:

I can't hear you over my nostalgia :homebrew:

Oh don't get me wrong, I hope they do well. Just older and wiser now and not going to blindly follow Brad like I did into Vanguard.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
With everything I've looked into.. I think this is the realistic state of the game. Currently there are two continents that we know of. The plan is to complete the first by end of pre-alpha or Jan 1 2019. Next alpha will run for 6 months and beta for probably 6. They want to finish the second continent during this next year. Then release the game. They continue to claim they are in absolutely no rush. While we don't know the background financials, it seems like they have enough money and runway for at least another 6-12 months. I believe they stated somewhere (a slip) that they had around 800 players in pre-alpha. When I last checked the now cheapest pre-alpha entrance was $1k (original $2.5k?) which puts them at $800k+ in funds + other private backing. That should last them at least a year from the pre-alpha sales point which started in december of last year. They have a small dev team compared to others sure, but from what I can tell most of the devs are actually decent at what their doing. This will slow progress with a smaller team but they are not planning on having 70 zones I'm rather sure. I also think we heard from someone who leaked that 10-12 zones are already built but maybe not complete. I think these are all the human continent zones from watching many streams.

It was either Joppa or Convo who stated that they were optimizing zones as they went. From what I can tell this indeed seems to be the case as players were getting 60+ frames in huge areas of the world (seen in a cohh video + jimlee). I believe we know that pre alpha 3? will add new classes (paladin+ranger) and possibly finish up others starting zones (halfling, elves, humans). They continue to state that the starting cities are gray textured for now.

If they run out of money at worst case scenario you get the human continent with around 15+ completed zones. With continued funds they do seem to have a clear plan of completing zones and moving on to the next. This can be seen with the two dungeons so far. Pretty much feature complete for release (from Convo). So if we take the better scenario and it continued to not explode in an oxy whirlpool we get a mostly complete game in another 1.5 years. They don't have any feature creep from what I can see and Joppa has specifically stated this is not something that is going to happen as they have a planned feature list which is all very realistic (I have seen no features added since 2014-15). They are after all aiming to remake a game and feel from 20 years ago.

Some other thoughts as I have followed this games progress over at the foh boards since 2014.. I can't imagine how Brad didn't give up after the kickstarter failed and all the weird poo poo in 2014-15. I guess it speaks to something that he didn't and continued to stick with this and managed to push forward to 2018 now with a rather decent looking game working with almost no funds. While I still can't say I trust him or anyone with a funded mmo. That probably shows more dedication than most considering he had basically no funds and somehow has made this work where as SC has millions and it's a complete dumpster fire.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, I thought you guys were joking about being interested in this game

it's going to be loving terrible, don't give brad a dime and go play something not made by an idiot manchild who throws tantrums about how his unique class isn't unique enough

forge
Feb 26, 2006
He somehow got over that and is just playing a warrior now. Personal growth I guess?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The screenshots of this game available on the website are an excellent substitute for a TARDIS / Time Tunnel.

It's not a Devolver Digital game though so I'm not sure it's a positive just yet.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

TheAgent posted:

Jesus Christ, I thought you guys were joking about being interested in this game

it's going to be loving terrible, don't give brad a dime and go play something not made by an idiot manchild who throws tantrums about how his unique class isn't unique enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CM8tTG9Yig

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vanguard was awesome even with all its problems. I’m excited for this game because even if we get just what that game was, it will be worth it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

TheAgent posted:

I still play on a server that emulates Everquest in 1999.

Won’t give Brad money until beta tho.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
On the flip side brad isn't yet selling castles for $10k like crowfall. Perhaps this is a blunder on their backing..

I also crated a discord which I'm going to populate with information and poo poo. Feel free to join and discuss why this game is going to crash and burn in real time. Probably a bit early, but might as well have one.

https://discord.gg/8rGarKm

Ehud, feel free to add it to the op, thanks.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

forge posted:

With everything I've looked into.. I think this is the realistic state of the game. Currently there are two continents that we know of. The plan is to complete the first by end of pre-alpha or Jan 1 2019. Next alpha will run for 6 months and beta for probably 6. They want to finish the second continent during this next year. Then release the game. They continue to claim they are in absolutely no rush. While we don't know the background financials, it seems like they have enough money and runway for at least another 6-12 months. I believe they stated somewhere (a slip) that they had around 800 players in pre-alpha. When I last checked the now cheapest pre-alpha entrance was $1k (original $2.5k?) which puts them at $800k+ in funds + other private backing. That should last them at least a year from the pre-alpha sales point which started in december of last year. They have a small dev team compared to others sure, but from what I can tell most of the devs are actually decent at what their doing. This will slow progress with a smaller team but they are not planning on having 70 zones I'm rather sure. I also think we heard from someone who leaked that 10-12 zones are already built but maybe not complete. I think these are all the human continent zones from watching many streams.

It was either Joppa or Convo who stated that they were optimizing zones as they went. From what I can tell this indeed seems to be the case as players were getting 60+ frames in huge areas of the world (seen in a cohh video + jimlee). I believe we know that pre alpha 3? will add new classes (paladin+ranger) and possibly finish up others starting zones (halfling, elves, humans). They continue to state that the starting cities are gray textured for now.

If they run out of money at worst case scenario you get the human continent with around 15+ completed zones. With continued funds they do seem to have a clear plan of completing zones and moving on to the next. This can be seen with the two dungeons so far. Pretty much feature complete for release (from Convo). So if we take the better scenario and it continued to not explode in an oxy whirlpool we get a mostly complete game in another 1.5 years. They don't have any feature creep from what I can see and Joppa has specifically stated this is not something that is going to happen as they have a planned feature list which is all very realistic (I have seen no features added since 2014-15). They are after all aiming to remake a game and feel from 20 years ago.

Some other thoughts as I have followed this games progress over at the foh boards since 2014.. I can't imagine how Brad didn't give up after the kickstarter failed and all the weird poo poo in 2014-15. I guess it speaks to something that he didn't and continued to stick with this and managed to push forward to 2018 now with a rather decent looking game working with almost no funds. While I still can't say I trust him or anyone with a funded mmo. That probably shows more dedication than most considering he had basically no funds and somehow has made this work where as SC has millions and it's a complete dumpster fire.

i feel like you need to have played EQ in its prime to enjoy this. For most people that is. If that's the case I'll just stick to ffxi if i want my old school mmo itch scratched. My extent of playing EQ was being 15 and falling off a boat and dying then not making it back to my body and quitting. I was then told to return it by my parents because I had no job and they said paying to play a video game monthly was dumb. Thank you for listening.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

TheAgent posted:

So how much do you think I should pledge to this game

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Node posted:

So how much do you think I should pledge to this game

I'm in for $10K...

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I loved EQ and no MMO since has managed to capture the magic of EQ and the first few expansions. I'm willing to shell out some cash once this releases to see if I can catch that dragon!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

deathbagel posted:

I loved EQ and no MMO since has managed to capture the magic of EQ and the first few expansions. I'm willing to shell out some cash once this releases to see if I can catch that dragon!

Yes, Pantheon creators, I would love to inject heroin directly into my balls; how much money do you request of me for this pleasure?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MF_James posted:

poo poo happened all the time in EQ1, I had specifically created a monk and leveled up to max, guild geared him etc just so I could train other guilds with him and my druid to fight for raid bosses. Ssra temple was the most fun biggest shitshow ever on my server (I had fun because our guild always won, we cock blocked every other guild from the emperor for months because he was the last piece of the key to get to the last raid zone of the expansion).

When I first started playing, right before Kunark, there was a memorable bit of drama in my guild. There was a full guild group in Lower Guk camping the Thick Banded Belt. It drops but the guild member checking the corpses steals it and claims nothing dropped. This was like 2-3 weeks before they added loot notifications. Eventually the guild finds out and kicks him. Two of the officers make low level characters, Thryweninjad and ATBB and dueled each other constantly during prime time. At the time duel notifications were server wide. So almost every day for a month every person on Xegony was spammed with Thrywe Ninjad a TBB.

I’d probably give any game a try if there was a chance it could recreate the feeling of a decent sized community where people knew other and reputation mattered more than hear score.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 23, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When I first started playing, right before Kunark, there was a memorable bit of drama in my guild. There was a full guild group in Lower Guk camping the Thick Banded Belt. It drops but the guild member checking the corpses steals it and claims nothing dropped. This was like 2-3 weeks before they added loot notifications. Eventually the guild finds out and kicks him. Two of the officers make low level characters, Thryweninjad and ATBB and dueled each other constantly during prime time. At the time duel notifications were server wide. So almost every day for a month every person on Xegony was spammed with Thrywe Ninjad a TBB.

I’d probably give any game a try if there was a chance it could recreate the feeling of a decent sized community where people knew other and reputation mattered more than hear score.

You were on Xegony too? Best server for drama, the forums were a loving disaster and the server itself was rife with assholes. I ended up in the super alliance IS/SOA/VS for a bit so that was a loving trip of drama, then ended up in CoV, MS and finally ended in DT, so things chilled out for a bit, though I generated some drama myself during my MS days because our sister guild was lead by some dude I can't remember the name of but he was a prick.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

MF_James posted:

You were on Xegony too? Best server for drama, the forums were a loving disaster and the server itself was rife with assholes. I ended up in the super alliance IS/SOA/VS for a bit so that was a loving trip of drama, then ended up in CoV, MS and finally ended in DT, so things chilled out for a bit, though I generated some drama myself during my MS days because our sister guild was lead by some dude I can't remember the name of but he was a prick.

Erollisi Marr was the best drama server! I still remember the glory days of EVAC!. I wish I had a way to resurrect our old server EZBoard, so many gems lost to the ages.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I was on Zebuxoruk back in the day and based on the stories I heard from the other servers, it was the most drama free place in the game. The uberguilds all cooperated and they kept running serverwide blacklists for known shitheads, ninja looters, and drama stirrers. Endgame raiding was done by a managed guild rotation and everyone involved was careful about taking their turns and not stepping on each other's toes. Getting into said raid rotation (specifically Temple of Veeshan during Velious era, both North and East) was as easy as proving you could hack it by being able to kill Sontalak at the ToV entrance.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 24, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

deathbagel posted:

Erollisi Marr was the best drama server! I still remember the glory days of EVAC!. I wish I had a way to resurrect our old server EZBoard, so many gems lost to the ages.

There were multiple posts on the crossroads of xegony forum that reached 300+ pages of insane drama, it was beautiful, I think they're all lost to time now :(

I spent days of my life ensuring guilds could not kill emp ssra, we kept everyone out of VT for months until we were done farming it. The GMs for Xegony just did not give any fucks so it was the wild west.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

DeathSandwich posted:

I was on Zebuxoruk back in the day and based on the stories I heard from the other servers, it was the most drama free place in the game. The uberguilds all cooperated and they kept running serverwide blacklists for known shitheads, ninja looters, and drama stirrers. Endgame raiding was done by a managed guild rotation and everyone involved was careful about taking their turns and not stepping on each other's toes. Getting into said raid rotation (specifically Temple of Veeshan during Kunark era, both North and East) was as easy as proving you could hack it by being able to kill Sontalak at the ToV entrance.

I mean we did have some drama on zeb (Dethen is one I'll always remember but ultimately wasn't too interesting) but yeah compared to most we were tame.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MF_James posted:

Oof, the guild I was in was Mortalitas Evito, the guild that MS drama bombed out of.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

NLJP posted:

I mean we did have some drama on zeb (Dethen is one I'll always remember but ultimately wasn't too interesting) but yeah compared to most we were tame.

Dethen was just an outspoken idiot and was a permanent member of the server blacklist. He got outed as a notorious shithead pretty early in his career. His whole thing was that he would dissappear for a couple of weeks/months while he leveled an alt, would join a guild with said alt, do something stupid like ninja loot a Ring War head, /shout "You got Dethen'ed, bitch!" or something of that nature, and then said alt would join the blacklist as well. He was basically the EQ equivalent of a SA troll who keeps getting banned but kept paying to re-register, like the EQ equivalent of Caro.

I think Dethen eventually had a 'friend' who would feed information about all of Dethen's alts to the guilds on the sly and the guilds slow rolled him, letting him get near 50 or so before he would get publicly outed and blacklisted.

Fun fact: When World of Warcraft came out, Dethen inadvertently followed my guild to the Whisperwind server, back when the community and forum boards still got a lot of use where he Dethen'ed all over the place there and basically got blacklisted from the server.

Edit: Also since we were Zebuxoruk buddies, if you ever remember a Gnome Wizard named Zumben, that was me.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 24, 2018

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I don't remember, I was like 13 at the time and I was real dumb. I don't remember most people's names.

I was a wood elf ranger called (urgh) Amanthalas and was my entire career from like level 3 in Tri Lith. My long and storied history with always picking the worst class in an mmo...

Btw Dethen was also one of those dudes who pulled the old 'no seriously guys it was my brother playing my toon honestly' thing. Wasn't there some weird connection with the dude who set up the 'mages union' or whatever in early wow? The dude who wanted all mages to go on strike and had a really weird website?

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

NLJP posted:

my entire career from like level 3 in Tri Lith.

Holy poo poo Tri Lith. I think I was there when it was first created. Think someone just asked in /OOC for extra people, since you needed X amount gathered for a GM to create a guild and being a newbie I was like sure okay.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
If you weren't in Tri-Lith you were making jokes about the people in Tri-Lith, IIRC.

I for the life of me could not for the life of me remember the name of the guild I was in. I remember when we migrated to Wow we became Band of Brothers, but I can't remember the originating EQ golf choir the life of me.

Is there an EQ equivalent of the SA Old Avatar Preview site that tracks your characters history?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Justaddwater posted:

Holy poo poo Tri Lith. I think I was there when it was first created. Think someone just asked in /OOC for extra people, since you needed X amount gathered for a GM to create a guild and being a newbie I was like sure okay.

Yeah that's how I joined up :) I forget who the first Guild leader was but we had to go through some shenanigans when she disappeared. We reformed as The Wardens of Tri Lith. I still dunno why Tri Lith but I guess it doesn't matter .

I was an officer for a while but also like 13-14 years old so...

NLJP fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 24, 2018

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
These recounts of old eq are far more interesting then this game sounds tbqh.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

The first interaction I really remember in EQ was stumbling around until some kind gnome caster of some kind (mage I think) told me about full screen rather than that lovely UI covering 3/4 of the screen in grey :allears:

Blew my mind, that.

edit: on topic I guess... Pantheon is gonna suck but I hope it doesn;t.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 25, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oof, the guild I was in was Mortalitas Evito, the guild that MS drama bombed out of.

Don't recall a guild called Mortalitas Evito, the drama I'm talking about happened before the zeb re-merge, although I was kind of out of it at that point in my EQ "career" and didn't pay much attention to guilds that weren't ours, we ended up borging some dudes from whatever the sister guild was and kept raiding for a bit then I jumped ship to DT at some point and we lead the raid scene on xeg for a while until the server merges. Hell I think MS are still kicking though I am pretty sure DT broke up (maybe?) an expansion or so after TBS, but i'm not certain on that.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 25, 2018

forge
Feb 26, 2006
New stream on Friday.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

More info.

2 streams and we get to see shaman and cleric this time

https://twitter.com/saicredtv/status/989526939378601985?s=21

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

This won't even crash and burn. It will collapse into an impotent heap and smolder, at best.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

New gameplay video

Ogre Shaman in Black Rose Keep.

Haven’t had a chance til watch it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_oFEy4YGTg

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Pretty decent Ogre. Not rear end scratching awesome but it passes. Trolls better be fat with asscrack loincloths however.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Givin posted:

Not rear end scratching awesome but it passes.

They can't be 100% thieving from EQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

MF_James posted:

They can't be 100% thieving from EQ

sound effects, classes, mechanics- sure.

but rear end-scratching? my god man.

Ehud posted:

New gameplay video

Ogre Shaman in Black Rose Keep.

Haven’t had a chance til watch it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_oFEy4YGTg

my favorite part is when he right-clicks and death touches the game designer and starts snickering like a madman while they're like "That's all the time we have for today"