Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

feedmegin posted:

A hemisphere the Vikings did in fact get to, though! If anyone from Europe was going to have a word for potato pre-Columbus, it was them.

(Probably there weren't any in Newfoundland at the time, mind you)

I’ve really started to wonder how far the Vikings got in North America and how much they hosed up tribes they meet with diseases the Native population couldn’t cope with.

We will honestly never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
would they? really?

unless they were sick or asymptomatic with a particularly nasty pathogen, there's nothing they can really transmit. the boat trip would be a quarantine period, most people would have lost viral load by the time they got across. just cause you're filthy doesnt mean you're carrying smallpox

it took a while for the spanish expeditions to finally make sufficient contact where the dice came up bad, and someone infectious managed to successfully transmit into the local indigenous populations. and they started off with a large scale colony right in the carribean, where they could make repeated contact with the mainland

meanwhile, the vinland settlement never really got off the ground, and most contact seemed to involve warriors killing one another in skirmishes

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

sbaldrick posted:

I’ve really started to wonder how far the Vikings got in North America and how much they hosed up tribes they meet with diseases the Native population couldn’t cope with.

We would know if they'd brought a ton of disease to the area, there'd be a lot of evidence of suddenly abandoned habitation, remains, etc. Also the people around the area would know about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sbaldrick posted:

I could be wrong, but I think the Viking contacts with North America pre-date the medieval European urbanization and spread of trade that supposedly led to the increased prevalence of diseases, plagues, etc.

On the other hand they post-date Roman urbanization etc. So I'm not sure how well that thesis really holds up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I could be wrong, but I think the Viking contacts with North America pre-date the medieval European urbanization and spread of trade that supposedly led to the increased prevalence of diseases, plagues, etc.

On the other hand they post-date Roman urbanization etc. So I'm not sure how well that thesis really holds up.

Also, the region the Vikings visited was lightly populated and fairly isolated, and travel was slow. It's not good circumstances to spread diseases.

They undoubtedly brought some, but the impact was probably fairly minor. We can't really know for sure, though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yeah getting a tribe in the far northeast sick is much different that spreading disease to the main empires on the continent.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Perhaps it would have been better if they did bring more illness. The population could have rebounded before the Spaniards.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn’t 1491 have some ideas about unknown European expeditions around 1492 being responsible for the spread of disease into the heavily populated north east and plains regions ?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

euphronius posted:

Didn’t 1491 have some ideas about unknown European expeditions around 1492 being responsible for the spread of disease into the heavily populated north east and plains regions ?

Theres some research and evidence suggesting that early long range and intense fishing might have led to early contacts.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Phobophilia posted:

just cause you're filthy doesnt mean you're carrying smallpox
Also the Vikings probably were not that filthy to begin with; some Anglo-Saxon chronicles complain about women favoring the Danes because they smelled better.

John of Wallingford posted:

[...] for they were wont, after the fashion of their country, to comb their hair every day, to bathe every Saturday, to change their garments often, and set off their persons by many frivolous devices. In this matter they laid siege to the virtue of the married woman, and persuaded the daughters even of the noble to be their concubines.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
That may be the grossest thing about history I've ever learned.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

euphronius posted:

I seem to remember there was something in there about early Spanish expeditions bringing pigs along as a mobile food source, thus spreading disease even faster.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Plus most of the (few) Norse who actually went to Vinland were Icelanders. Sparsely populated rural middle-of-nowhere Iceland wasn't a great place for virulent diseases to thrive, so they were statistically pretty unlikely to be carrying any.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Zopotantor posted:

Also the Vikings probably were not that filthy to begin with; some Anglo-Saxon chronicles complain about women favoring the Danes because they smelled better.

Weekends in Britain were rough. The Saxons knew to attack the Vikings on bath day, and the Norse knew to attack the Saxons when they were all sitting around in church the next day.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Monocled Falcon posted:

That may be the grossest thing about history I've ever learned.

Was it Cyrano4747 who used to have an avatar quoting his post here where he discusses the logistics of Suetonius's claims about Tiberius's sex life?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Weekends in Britain were rough. The Saxons knew to attack the Vikings on bath day, and the Norse knew to attack the Saxons when they were all sitting around in church the next day.

Vikings had no respect for the tea break, either.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That is funny as hell because it suggests that they could tell that bathing did something useful but still didn't do it. "Should I do something about these three decades worth of dingleberries? Ehhhhhhh."

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
That’s funny and gross, but I always roll my eyes whenever a scribe dude rants that the pure women of of the nation are sullying their virtue with foreigners, whether it’s 1218 or 2018.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Maybe they just thought smelling good and being appealing to ladies was effeminate.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Can anyone recommend a book on the Olympian/cthonic divide in Ancient Greek worship? I’m most interested in the development of Heracles myths and what we know about their Neolithic origins and how they spread across the Mediterranean.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

This not being a possible event in CK2 is the most damning thing about it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grevling posted:

Maybe they just thought smelling good and being appealing to ladies was effeminate.

It's basically like when dudes got really up in arms about"metrosexuals" around the turn of the century. Except in this case the metrosexuals were going around cleaving people in twain and, allegedly*, impaling infants on spears and competing at how far they could throw them.

*Very allegedly. There is like one mention in Landnáma that just says one guy was nicknamed "Child lover" because he didn't engage in this pastime. And I suspect that is just a case of "our pagan ancestor were a bunch of savages thank God we have found Christianity"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

aphid_licker posted:

That is funny as hell because it suggests that they could tell that bathing did something useful but still didn't do it. "Should I do something about these three decades worth of dingleberries? Ehhhhhhh."

People did bath regularly throughout the 1000 years we call Middle Ages in Europe. For every saint who bathed twice a year and reports of the fine-smelling Vikings we have dozens of bathing manuals and bathing advices. Just "bath" means mostly a cold dip in the river or hauling a lot of water home in rural areas (which was most of Europe by then). Early on the Catholic Church still even built bath houses (separated by sex of course), but since they were a hot bed of prostitution and other "immoral" things, they started to clamp down as time moved on, although it is not clear how effective they were in doing so. But even so, public bathhouses only declined and basically disappeared by the 17th century. Only with the onset of the plague bathing was more and more frowned upon, since it was seen as a possible way of infection and washing all the body parts presented in public was the way to go (which of course means the most stinky parts stay unwashed). The decline in bathing was a 15-17th century thing.

And I don't think I need to mention the tremendous bathing culture of the Eastern Roman Empire, the Muslim world, who copied it from them or of Japan and China. Bathing feels great, there have to be big hurdles for people not to do it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol at the idea that bathing was transmitted thousands of miles. You just get in some water and it's nice.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Decius posted:

People did bath regularly throughout the 1000 years we call Middle Ages in Europe. For every saint who bathed twice a year and reports of the fine-smelling Vikings we have dozens of bathing manuals and bathing advices. Just "bath" means mostly a cold dip in the river or hauling a lot of water home in rural areas (which was most of Europe by then). Early on the Catholic Church still even built bath houses (separated by sex of course), but since they were a hot bed of prostitution and other "immoral" things, they started to clamp down as time moved on, although it is not clear how effective they were in doing so. But even so, public bathhouses only declined and basically disappeared by the 17th century. Only with the onset of the plague bathing was more and more frowned upon, since it was seen as a possible way of infection and washing all the body parts presented in public was the way to go (which of course means the most stinky parts stay unwashed). The decline in bathing was a 15-17th century thing.

And I don't think I need to mention the tremendous bathing culture of the Eastern Roman Empire, the Muslim world, who copied it from them or of Japan and China. Bathing feels great, there have to be big hurdles for people not to do it.

When you realize the Founding Fathers of the USA probably smelled worse than random medieval peasants.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It was like dipping a turd into fish sauce, believe me.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Decius posted:

This dude tried out Tudor-era hygiene and it worked surprisingly well, i.e. no one noticed he was doing anything strange.

https://newrepublic.com/article/129828/getting-clean-tudor-way

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kemper Boyd posted:

This dude tried out Tudor-era hygiene and it worked surprisingly well, i.e. no one noticed he was doing anything strange.

https://newrepublic.com/article/129828/getting-clean-tudor-way

The dude is actually a woman - Ruth Goodman, known from entertaining and recommended historic re-enactment edutainment series like The Tudor Monastery Farm, The Victorian Farm or Secrets of the Castle.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I've never heard this explicitly linked to bathing, but firewood prices (along with lumber) soared in late medieval and early modern England. It was a big driver for the development of the coal industry. The cost of heating up a bath full of water would have been much higher in, say 1650 than it was in 1250.

That might also be why traditional bathing and sauna cultures survived in Russia and Scandinavia, while bathhouses died out in England.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Decius posted:

who copied it from them or of Japan and China.

how common was bathing in China? there's an account of a Song envoy to Goryeo where he mentions the Koreans smugly look down on the Chinese for being dirty, and bathing and washing is one of the few things he relents that the Chinese don't do as well.

Also there've been baths in Mesopotamia and India since ancient times haven't there? Not sure it's an idea that needs transmitting.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im pretty sure ive seen film depictions of public bathhouses in 1930s shanghai, they were big multistorey places where you can get murdered and thrown out of windows

but other than that, i dont think china has the same extent of bathing culture as say japan, which is filled with natural hot springs

Zopotantor posted:

im pretty sure a viking dude fresh off the boat is going smell absolutely rank

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Decius posted:

I think people are reading a bit much into this, getting bent out of shape about some supposed implication that world-wide bathing culture was invented in the Eastern Roman Empire and then transmitted outward, rather than that among the various noteworthy bathing cultures of the world, a reasonably familiar example is the bathing culture of the Eastern Roman Empire, from which the bathing traditions of the Muslim world likely draw significant influence.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The ones fresh off the boat probably had some kind of business like raiding or trading in mind, while I imagine the ones who were going around getting all the Angle ladies were the ones who'd already settled down and were living in the Danelaw.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

hailthefish posted:

I think people are reading a bit much into this, getting bent out of shape about some supposed implication that world-wide bathing culture was invented in the Eastern Roman Empire and then transmitted outward, rather than that among the various noteworthy bathing cultures of the world, a reasonably familiar example is the bathing culture of the Eastern Roman Empire, from which the bathing traditions of the Muslim world likely draw significant influence.

I forgot a comma, I didn't mean that Japan or China copied it or that the Muslim world took it from them. It should read as "...Eastern Roman Empire, the Muslim world, who copied/took it over from them. And Japan and China having a tremendous bathing culture at this time too." As said, that people like to bath in warm water isn't exactly something that takes a lot of inventive spirit, it's a pretty basic thing that makes people generally feel great. Not bathing is rather the odd thing if you have the means to do it.

@Koramei: the Yangzhou bathhouses have a pretty long tradition, so I would count them in the whole bathing culture thing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh I wonder why the envoy was so specific about that then. I imagine it varied throughout China but then the area around Yangzhou woulda been a major cultural hub of the Southern Song anyway so it’s not like he wouldn’t have been aware of that.

Maybe in China it was limited more to elites? In Korea (and Japan?) it wasn’t

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I live in China right now and wouldn't say there's much of a bathing culture even today.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Japan's bathing culture remains extremely on point.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

I live in China right now and wouldn't say there's much of a bathing culture even today.

There's a lot of influence from TCM and grandparents who grew up on the communal farm screaming at you for washing your hands in "cold" water.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah but psuedoscientific traditional Chinese medicine is an invention of the mid 20th century.

More than a hundred years ago old people would probably scream at you about demons or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Roman bathing culture was heavily influence by Japanese bathing culture as shown in this documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOmFSflNiQU