Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of how often do you guys train? I go 5 days a week, 1 class per day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

2-3x a week. More like 2x these days. :smith:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

.... Are you me in 4 years? :smith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

.... Are you me in 4 years? :smith:

Does your lower back hurt a bit, and you like leg locks?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Does your lower back hurt a bit, and you like leg locks?

Now you're either Doxxing me or a time traveler.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Drewjitsu posted:

I was 4-5 times a week 160 pounds dude, then 2016 happened and I became a 3 times a week 200 pound dude.

Depression and Injury are hella drug.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Now you're either Doxxing me or a time traveler.

Remember, money may seem a little tight right now, it it gets (marginally) better.

:unsmith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Blue belt with just under 3 years of experience in BJJ. My club is super lazy about stripes - I saw one dude get 4 stripes put on his white belt in one session and then get promoted a month later.

Brown belt with about 9 years of properly active experience in Judo. The Judo time is hard to measure because of time spent in it as a kid and years off and semi-active stretches in between. As I know that Judo belt colours varry in differnet countries, I'll add that's ikkyu - last step before the shodan. At my current rate I'll have my black belt in Judo before the purple in BJJ. I'm also a certified judo coach and a minimally experienced ref.

When I'm not injured :argh: I train 5-6x week - 2 Judo, 2 BJJ classes, 2 BJJ open mats. Lately I've been doing 1-2 low-impact judo sessions/week (entries, technical fuckery, demos, minimal falling, no sparring).

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

no hate man, i'm envious.

I know (that you weren't hatin)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Has anyone ever seen someon get their stripes removed?

Unfunny Poster posted:

3x per week.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Unfunny Poster posted:

I go 3X a week which each class lasting anywhere between 1 hour to 2 hour (longer for Saturday).

Next month I'm going to try and start adding another day or switch out a fundamental class for an advance class to get ready for a tournament in June. Problem is I have a 50 mile round trip (usually 40 minutes each way) to get to class. Doing that for over 2 years really drains ya and has made me take way to much time off.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Blue belt, 3 years 6 months, train 4-5 times a week, 10 hours on average. Got my blue after 14 months, early obviously.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

White belt, got two stripes last time I was home. Been training a year but go away for work month on month off so 6 months mat time.

When I'm home go four times a week and try to go somewhere for a seminar at least once. Doubtful if I will ever get colors the way we have to do it with a visiting instructor from our instructors home gym due to scheduling but that's alright with me.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

One of my friends was a 4 stripe brown belt when he moved here, Sergio Penha doesn't give stripes and made him basically start as a new brown belt.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Got a blue belt about 6 years ago and then stopped training like a year later. Fast forward last fall, the guy in the truck next to mine in the mornings is a black belt, so now I get to train Sunday mornings two or three times a month with him and whatever other guys show up. Was happy to find out I could still hang.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Blue belt ~2 years. 3 to 4 times a week.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB posted:

One of my friends was a 4 stripe brown belt when he moved here, Sergio Penha doesn't give stripes and made him basically start as a new brown belt.

Also at a school that doesn't do stripes but would it be frowned upon if your buddy moved and started at a school that does do stripes for him to put the stripes back on?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I haven't trained in around 5 years. But before that, I was 5 years in, and a blue. I got my blue a lot later than others in my school for some reason, so I spent a long time as white belt that was equal with 1 year+ blues and would often surprise blues from other gyms that visited.

When I was serious I'd train 3 times a week. For a brief period I trained 4 and even 5 times a week and my skill really jumped. Could only maintain that a little while though.

I gradually fell out of it. I started training other things. Sambo, kickboxing, going to BJJ less and less. I'd basically quit when I showed up and it was promotion day. I got my blue but didn't stick around much after that. I've been on an extended work trip and have been training a bit, which is why I'm in this thread. Only x1 a week a low level gym. After 5 years it was nice that I earned the respect of the senior guys when I rolled with them, but overall I'm pretty bad now.

Its mostly motivation for me. I know I can get back into it, but can I keep up my attendance after 3 months?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

Also at a school that doesn't do stripes but would it be frowned upon if your buddy moved and started at a school that does do stripes for him to put the stripes back on?

I highly doubt that it would be frowned upon.

I forgot to add that part of the reason I train so much is that the gym is literally 3 minutes from my house.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

I forgot to add that part of the reason I train so much is that the gym is literally 3 minutes from my house.

This would be the greatest and worst thing ever.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Not super meaningful yet to you guys but John is starting to share the conceptual framework of his system:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh9-cRRH6mm/

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

What it be weird to ask everyone here what belt they are? I dont want to turn it into a dick waving contest or anything, honestly. Im just curious.

Ill start Im a brown belt.

Blue Belt.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Been having a debate with myself about my gym lately. I know it's kinda minor but it bugs me.

I live in arguably one of the best cities in the country for jiu jitsu. The main instructor at my gym is a 5th degree black belt and is a great teacher and person. He normally teaches at the gym twice a week (he has 3 other locations in town) and another one of his black belts runs the classes the other days. Lately that black belt has been absent, not showing up for classes entirely sometimes (which is super annoying and unprofessional), or having brown belts run the classes instead of him. I don't know how or even if I should bring anything up.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Purple but I haven't trained much in 7 or so years. Trained BJJ for almost 4 years and wrestled pretty seriously in high school so I was promoted to blue in 9 months. Back on the mats now for a few weeks going 3x a week... I feel like a white belt again.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've got up to 3 blue belt stripes, depending on how many survive the washing machine. I got to blue pretty quickly since I came in with a 5 year old judo black belt. I still practice each 1-3 days a week, though my bjj school has a deeper talent pool than my judo one.

I do wish my bjj school was a bit more competition-oriented. It's a Gracie affiliate and leans a little heavier than I'd prefer towards the self-defense aspect.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Does anyone have any experience with Fight Sports in Miami or the Rilion Gracie gym in coral gables? I live near one and work near the other

E: or their reputations. I'm interested in joining one. I have no grappling experience apart from a handful of drop in classes at American Top Team with a friend. I can arm bar from side control and bendy arm from side control. (Americana maybe? Kimura?). Two years of on and off boxing

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 25, 2018

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

spb posted:

3x per week.

I had to quit about a year ago because my career stopped existing. In a new career path now and have the funds to start training again. I imagine nobody remembers me at this point and feel like showing up with a white belt with some stripes on it while being remarkably useless would be weird so I may just take them off. My old coach probably wouldn't care too much either way because his philosophy with stripes is that they're more of a "good job keep showing up you're better than you used to be" thing than an overall assessment of capability at any given belt

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Fight Sports in Miami or the Rilion Gracie gym in coral gables? I live near one and work near the other

E: or their reputations. I'm interested in joining one. I have no grappling experience apart from a handful of drop in classes at American Top Team with a friend. I can arm bar from side control and bendy arm from side control. (Americana maybe? Kimura?). Two years of on and off boxing

I got my blue belt from Cyborg and can tell you that he is an amazing teacher and an even better friend to all his students.

I moved away years ago, but the new gym he just built looks awesome, and I trained with both the guys managing the gym now and they are also great people. I think talent wise it would be hard to find a better room.

Can't recommend Fight Sports enough! Do it!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spb posted:

I mean I guess I had mine "removed" because I changed gyms after a long layoff but I guess you mean they got in trouble and had theirs removed?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

Lately that black belt has been absent, not showing up for classes entirely sometimes (which is super annoying and unprofessional), or having brown belts run the classes instead of him. I don't know how or even if I should bring anything up.

Do you know why? If not, I'd keep my mouth shut.

You'd hate to be the guy who complains only to find out that he's been having to take care of his sick mother or something.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

spb posted:

Just kids who don't behave.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaySB posted:

Been having a debate with myself about my gym lately. I know it's kinda minor but it bugs me.

I live in arguably one of the best cities in the country for jiu jitsu. The main instructor at my gym is a 5th degree black belt and is a great teacher and person. He normally teaches at the gym twice a week (he has 3 other locations in town) and another one of his black belts runs the classes the other days. Lately that black belt has been absent, not showing up for classes entirely sometimes (which is super annoying and unprofessional), or having brown belts run the classes instead of him. I don't know how or even if I should bring anything up.

Maybe just, as innocently as you can say it, ask "hey you know why X hasn't been around much? wanna pick his brain about (insert move/situation)"?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Do you know why? If not, I'd keep my mouth shut.

You'd hate to be the guy who complains only to find out that he's been having to take care of his sick mother or something.

On the other hand he is paying for black belt instruction and not getting it. They aren't holding up their end.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

On the other hand he is paying for black belt instruction and not getting it. They aren't holding up their end.

It's mostly this.

Well that and it's super annoying when I show up for a scheduled class and the instructor doesn't show up. A couple times I've had to go get the key from someone and just open the gym because people have been waiting.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

JaySB posted:

It's mostly this.

Well that and it's super annoying when I show up for a scheduled class and the instructor doesn't show up. A couple times I've had to go get the key from someone and just open the gym because people have been waiting.

That is simply unprofessional and you should definitely bring it up with someone.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Brown belt. 10 years (but like 1-2x a week mat time for half of that so I'm not as good as I should be) :/

Basically this but I'm still wearing the purple belt that I got four and a half years ago. At one point I was awarded a stripe on it. That fell off years ago and I never put it back on. I've accepted that I'll be purple belt for life.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Pretty sure I separated my shoulder on Monday. Guy caught me with a fireman carry and instead of rolling through to my back I landed square on my shoulder. No audible pop, and in the moment while it hurt I still had range of motion so kept rolling through the rest of class, but as soon as I cooled down it started hurting pretty bad right at the point where the collarbone meets the shoulder.

Two days on and it hurts worst if I poke it, if I try to reach behind myself as if being kimuraed and also when I tense myself to sit or stand up (getting out of bed is particularly painful).

I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for Tuesday anyways so am going to ask him to take a look then but am hoping it's just low level sprain or bruising. In that best case, any guess at how long RICEing it before I can at least go back to drilling? Weeks? Months?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I live in arguably one of the best cities in the country for jiu jitsu.

San Diego would like to have a word with you ;)

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

butros posted:

Pretty sure I separated my shoulder on Monday. Guy caught me with a fireman carry and instead of rolling through to my back I landed square on my shoulder. No audible pop, and in the moment while it hurt I still had range of motion so kept rolling through the rest of class, but as soon as I cooled down it started hurting pretty bad right at the point where the collarbone meets the shoulder.

Two days on and it hurts worst if I poke it, if I try to reach behind myself as if being kimuraed and also when I tense myself to sit or stand up (getting out of bed is particularly painful).

I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for Tuesday anyways so am going to ask him to take a look then but am hoping it's just low level sprain or bruising. In that best case, any guess at how long RICEing it before I can at least go back to drilling? Weeks? Months?

I separated mine and didn't do the right stuff and ended up getting arthritis and bone spurs in it, felt like it was on fire for years. They eventually had to scope it out and now I just have scar tissue instead of an ac joint. Definitely rest and avoid sparring for awhile. Might want to go to a sport doctor too if you have decent insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

San Diego would like to have a word with you ;)

I said one of. SD, LA, NYC, Vegas, SF, and Miami