Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
Details are now being heard of McKenna’s complaint to the Financial Planning Association of Australia about the advice she had received from Henderson Maxwell.

More explosive evidence. Henderson emailed the FPA and asked that the investigation remain secret. He wrote:

Henderson posted:

I do request that the matter remains confidential, given my media presence and potential financial loss as a consequence of FPA publicising the investigation in any way.

Orr posted:

Did you expect that the FPA would keep this confidential?

Henderson posted:

I suppose that I needed to understand the nature and effects of the complaint and how serious the consequences were.

:thermidor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/apr/18/richard-flanagan-national-press-club-speech-full-politics-black-comedy

Richard Flanagan’s Press Club address has not been reposted enough, holy poo poo. Should be mandatory reading for all ‘Australians’

I've got precisely zero value to add to this, but thanks for the link; what a loving read.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-24/pauline-hanson-says-company-tax-cuts-wont-deliver-higher-wages/9690510

quote:

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson has conceded she does not think giving Australian companies a tax cut will result in workers getting a highly sought-after wage increase.
"Hand on heart, no, I've never said that there will be an increase in wages," she told the ABC's News Breakfast.
"I've actually said the opposite. But will it create more jobs or keep companies here? Yes."

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

quote:

But will it create more jobs or keep companies here? Also no.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

quote:

Will it get me more Liberal preference flows?

Yes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Exempting the big four banks from the Turnbull government’s planned corporate tax cut would “punish” their customers, shareholders, staff and the economy, the Business Council of Australia has claimed.

On Tuesday the BCA appeared before a Senate inquiry that was called in response to the council’s non-binding commitment that its members would increase investment if the company tax cut was passed.

The inquiry comes as public outrage at revelations of widespread misconduct in the banking royal commission makes the Coalition’s task in advocating for its 10-year company tax plan increasingly difficult.

The BCA chief executive, Jennifer Westacott, said the evidence heard by the banking royal commission was “deeply concerning”.

She said there should be “swift, decisive” action by regulators and banks should repair the harm they had caused their customers. But Westacott said the parliament should not “throw the baby out with the bathwater” by exempting them from company tax cuts, as senator Derryn Hinch has suggested.

“To use tax policy to punish a sector of the economy will only punish their customers, shareholders and staff,” she said. “Taking a populist punishment action is not the way to deal with revelations of the royal commission.”

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Exempting the big four banks from the Turnbull government’s planned corporate tax cut would “punish” their customers, shareholders, staff and the economy, the Business Council of Australia has claimed.

On Tuesday the BCA appeared before a Senate inquiry that was called in response to the council’s non-binding commitment that its members would increase investment if the company tax cut was passed.

The inquiry comes as public outrage at revelations of widespread misconduct in the banking royal commission makes the Coalition’s task in advocating for its 10-year company tax plan increasingly difficult.

The BCA chief executive, Jennifer Westacott, said the evidence heard by the banking royal commission was “deeply concerning”.

She said there should be “swift, decisive” action by regulators and banks should repair the harm they had caused their customers. But Westacott said the parliament should not “throw the baby out with the bathwater” by exempting them from company tax cuts, as senator Derryn Hinch has suggested.

“To use tax policy to punish a sector of the economy will only punish their customers, shareholders and staff,” she said. “Taking a populist punishment action is not the way to deal with revelations of the royal commission.”

Better never punish crimes at all agrees BCA.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Commonwealth bank helped fund ISIS due to lack of regulation, but I’m sure there’s nothing else to find.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics Tracked People By Their Mobile Device Data

:tif:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hooman posted:

Better never punish crimes at all agrees BCA.

It's like the card that Marge gives Homer about dealing with Bart, to do the opposite to what Bart says. But replace Bart with BCA

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

This seems like a great way to make disadvantaged people even more invisible than they are in the census

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Solemn Sloth posted:

This seems like a great way to make disadvantaged people even more invisible than they are in the census

To be fair, being disadvantaged doesn't mean you don't have a mobile phone. People in sub-Sarahan Africa are more likely to have a mobile phone than clean drinking water. Ice addicts have mobile phones, a lot of homeless people have said that a mobile phone is a must-have item.

However, I assume basing stats off mobile phones would exclude certain populations (old people, for example).

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
https://mobile.twitter.com/KKeneally/status/988658604088545281

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I look forward to their formal response being a legendary use of weasel words.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
If other countries had not cut corporate taxes, wages would have dropped, according to this report we commissioned

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The AFL's association with Anzac Day seems more perverse year after year. I didn't even realise there was an "anzac-eve" game till now. That just seems more obviously exploitative. Flanagan was on the money in that Press club speech

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

froglet posted:

Buying a house (and an investment property at that) seems like a really dumb thing to do at that age.

This guy will find he can't buy a house with his partner, move cities without a real estate agent... It just seems like a dumb idea all around.

Of course, I'm sure his parents will bail him out.

(Also my friend bought a house at 22 and now horribly regrets it. Turns out a 22 year old might be cool with housemates but a 28 year old is getting more and more jaded having to chase people up for money on rent, utilities and misc shared house expenses).

It’s literally the best thing he can do at his age for his future financial security. Why can’t he buy another house? The equity in his investment property will be considered a massive plus on any future home loan, this is why old mate baby boomer has 6 properties on an average income. And why wouldn’t he use a real estate agent anyway? It’ll likely be managed by a property agent regardless. The whole 6% they charge is worth it for the removal of costs and to diminish responsibilities as the landlord.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Pinball Jizzard posted:

It’s literally the best thing he can do at his age for his future financial security.

:vince:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'M ALL IN ON BITCOIN

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

"anzac-eve"

What is this?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Its adam and eve not anzac and eve

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Exactly

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Why are broadcasts and TV series from NSW consistently poo poo?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I think that roo got into some the greens legalized cannabis.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Someone go back in time to the Turkish trenches and show this to the brave lads right before they storm the beaches cliffs.

"This is what you're fighting for men"

I mean look at my avatar. The white text. Even I think this is pathetically below acceptable.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

DancingShade posted:

Someone go back in time to the Turkish trenches and show this to the brave lads right before they storm the beaches cliffs.

"This is what you're fighting for men"

I mean look at my avatar. The white text. Even I think this is pathetically below acceptable.

Hah, it'll be the one year anniversary soon. We'll have to think of some new way to rile up the knuckle-draggers.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It it fair to blame the heavy chunk of patriotism now stapled to ANZAC day on John Howard?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Starshark posted:

Hah, it'll be the one year anniversary soon. We'll have to think of some new way to rile up the knuckle-draggers.

re-tweet yassmin abdel-magieds tweet from last year

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It it fair to blame the heavy chunk of patriotism now stapled to ANZAC day on John Howard?

When I was in school under Hawke, they taught us that the Turks (their word for the Turkish army) were evil and wanted to hurt Australia. So probably not.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Starshark posted:

When I was in school under Hawke, they taught us that the Turks (their word for the Turkish army) were evil and wanted to hurt Australia. So probably not.

Even now the Turk lusts for Vienna

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

The best part about our avatars and the angry person that bought them is that once upon a time I was once in the worst Anzac parade imaginable.

Picture if you will, a quiet country town. Very remote. Soldiers bused in for the grand day. A local band. Everything wonderful.

Now imagine the attending unit members at attention on parade while the lovely nowhere remote country town uses a solid hour plus of the ceremony to do things like thank the local flower committee, hand out school prizes and all sorts of other mindless busybody bullshit. For over a loving hour. I was definitely glaring at them and once we finally escaped I recall pretty much everyone was swearing how much they hated the place and wanted to deck the mayor. We didn't of course because you know, repercussions.

All in the baking sun. I didn't go down but a small number did. Others had it worse that year - one guy told me his lot were stuck at attention for over 3 hours. Which is fuuucked.

The sort of people who cause that are the same people who get upset when people don't give sufficient gravitas on a day which is supposed to be a memorial but perverted into a jingoistic american style chest pumper event, yet somehow don't go after the pollies and marketers.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Birdstrike posted:

Even now the Turk lusts for Vienna

Should have let them have it, would have hosed hitlers plans right up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cartoon kangaroo's lookin a bit wall-eyed there.

Or maybe it's a Wall-eyed-by.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCDDRoUnG3Q

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cartoon kangaroo's lookin a bit wall-eyed there.

Or maybe it's a Wall-eyed-by.

boo this man

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Starshark posted:

Oh gently caress yeah. I think I’ve gotten angry-tars two ANZAC Days in a row now.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
That SBS guy was right about everything and the ANZACS were a bunch of gormless rapists sent to conquer innocent people

I'll have 1 Mattias Corman avatar please

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I just has a HSP at 1am, so my anzac day is complete, goodnihgt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Battletech releases in 1 minute. Perfect anzac day shooting robits

• Locked thread