Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Panfilo posted:

As others have said, not every Skaven clan is necessarily advanced to the WW1 war crime wonder weapons of Skyre. If you read the Iron mine under Skaven control, it says that only a few clans are even capable of metalworking period, with the rest needing to Barter for equipment.

And given their treacherous nature, Skaven innovators are more likely to steal, sabotage, or hoard technological innovations. Since advances are not widely adapted and constant infighting is undoing much of the progress, only a few developments really get seized on through time.

Slings are cheap and it is easy to teach a smoothbrained rat slave to throw rocks. Exotic weaponry invites jealousy, paranoia, and suspicion.

Yeah, and the Empire has in the lore 6 irreplaceable steam tanks which makes them too valuable to actually use, but you can have as many as you want ingame, and the High Elves can't field legions of dragons like you can do in the game either, but it's more fun to be able to play with these toys. The Skaven don't get a lot of their fun toys. I would have more fun if I had more toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Ideally, they could add

Ratling Gunners, which would function similar to the Hellblaster Volley gun and be wildly inaccurate, but get a bonus vs flyers and have shieldbreaker (reduces missile block of target) . This would be unique and make them handy against large numbers of flyers such as bats since their other ranged options aren't so hot vs flying units.

Jezzails, long range low rate of fire snipers with bonus vs infantry and stalk, but super fragile and reliant on clear LoS

Warplock Jezzails, an upgraded version that had even longer range but even slower reload and doing magic + fire damage.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It would actually be more fun if the 7 (not 6, NOOB) steam tanks were unique units. They are supposed to all have strengths and drawbacks unique to their design.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panfilo posted:

Jezzails, long range low rate of fire snipers with bonus vs infantry and stalk, but super fragile and reliant on clear LoS

Warplock Jezzails, an upgraded version that had even longer range but even slower reload and doing magic + fire damage.

Jezzails are basically just luminarks on foot.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It would actually be more fun if the 7 (not 6, NOOB) steam tanks were unique units. They are supposed to all have strengths and drawbacks unique to their design.

I think this would be pretty rad. The ROR are wildly enjoyed because of their unique traits giving them more character. CA should extend the lord development to units, allowing true customization

Might be a balance headache though.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Choice and Consequence somewhat did this by having caps on units (like Tomb Kings). It definitely helped prevent the AI from fielding bullshit armies like goblins with ten rock lobbas or something.

But I do like the idea of just making those super elite endgame units RoR because you could have six distinctive steam tanks/star dragons/grail knights/etc.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Choice and Consequence somewhat did this by having caps on units (like Tomb Kings). It definitely helped prevent the AI from fielding bullshit armies like goblins with ten rock lobbas or something.

But I do like the idea of just making those super elite endgame units RoR because you could have six distinctive steam tanks/star dragons/grail knights/etc.

Yeah C&C was interesting but extremely unfulfilling in the Lord spec segment...plus some balance issues where there's really clearly a Best Choice and two other OK choices.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
That was my gripe about it too.

Veterancy is better than more recruitment, ambush chance better than ambush defense for most races (Brettonia an exception perhaps). Best element is caster lords which do get some nice choices that aren't always a no brainer. Choosing between potentially 3 different mounts is also significant since basic mount comes with bigger ld bubble+effect while the armored mount and flyer counterparts just beef up hp/armor/speed /charge with no additional effects usually. So you can plan ahead and there's equal benefits to each mount type or none at all.

Generally the skills that cost additional upkeep seldom felt worth it and tended to be samey (generally poison or fearless). The choices for most ranged or artillery were also virtually identical for most races (range, reload, or ammo).

The modder is gonna overhaul red skills, personally I hope they group units together a bit more so you get Stacking boosts instead of one unit getting marginally more ammo. They also updated followers and made them a LOT better, which is nice.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1206010657

This seems like the best approximation anyone will probably make.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember in a Gotrek and Felix book, a group of Skryre Skaven broke into the College of Nuln to steal it's tech. The Warlock Engineer in charge actually started to fantasize and drool over the Steam Tank they found. So he went inside it and started imagining all the stuff the Skaven Empire could do with Steam Tanks once they overhauled the design. (Stuff like replacing the engine with a Warpstone Engine to crank up it's speed, getting Warpfire throwers on it, Putting a periscope in so the look out does not actually have to stick his head out of the machine.) He was so excited about the Steam Tank that he decided to drive it back to lift they were used to get in. Then underestimating the speed of the tank and not paying attention were he was going he ran over a Poison Wind Globadier. This spread poison all over the place and the other Skaven thought a human was actually in the tank and started attacking it. While the Engineer came to that conclusion Skaven paranoia overrode it and he thought his soldiers were betraying him so he started running them over. Eventually driving the Steam Tank into a hole they dug were it exploded. (Though the Engineer escaped.)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone else had Dark Elf factions survive with only a Black Ark left, sailing around the world forever, and always just fast enough that you'll never catch it?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
No but that sounds amazing! Bribe them untill they ally you and see what they do. Can they recruit Lords from a Black Ark so they can take a ruin or weak city?
Can a Black Ark assault a port city?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA-Wintrow posted:

No but that sounds amazing! Bribe them untill they ally you and see what they do. Can they recruit Lords from a Black Ark so they can take a ruin or weak city?
Can a Black Ark assault a port city?
I don't know if they can recruit lords but they cannot attack port cities, which is a truly massive shame. And watching Brittania bring back combined amphibious assaults means I just get to imagine how much fun it could be to make black arks overpowered as hell during those assaults.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
GCCM needs to have more custom maps like Naggarond which has a stretch of wall that vanguard deployment units can deploy directly adjacent, so the second the battle starts they are already scrambling up the walls.

Normally vanguard units aren't always useful, doubly so in sieges. But creative maps could change that. Imagine siege battles where vanguard units can deploy in areas normally inaccessible to other ground units, serving as a 'shortcut' or at the very least a diversion to tie up defenders while your main force attacks from the front. Or for defenders, getting access to a vanguard deploy zone that lets you flank the attacking force, to hamper their advance.

This could be applied to other maps too- I really wish GCCM would crank out a couple Underway, World Roots and Beast Path maps because they could be set up to favor armies that primarily fight in these maps.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Hungry" update refers to a buff in skaven food production!

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/988810069348364290

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
they have the worst media presence of dumb jokes and dumb hype

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gejnor posted:

More rats is always a good thing!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, at least they're still doing balancing work for all factions!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
'Hunting' presumably refers to the next news being new/reworked Norsca hunts.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Third World Reggin posted:

they have the worst media presence of dumb jokes and dumb hype

the problem is they'll say one word in a teaser and you immediately get a legion of dorks with those green hats and calculators on reddit saying they crunched the numbers and based off of the word "hungry" we're probably getting a whole new faction

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hungary comfirmed!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
But I don't want to play as Hungary.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

But I don't want to play as Hungary.
You don't have to play as Hungary.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I have an overwhelming strange urge to go home and start a Pontus campaign.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gejnor posted:

Thank god, the food mechanic is keeping me from playing skaven. They just have so many unnecessary complexities to them, even one crappy wrinkle can make a big difference.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Yeah, I don't think they really needed it in Vortex, since there were enough food-production provinces around their starting positions to not need to worry about it. But the food rework is going to make them a much more viable option in Mortal Empires, finally.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, I don't think they really needed it in Vortex, since there were enough food-production provinces around their starting positions to not need to worry about it. But the food rework is going to make them a much more viable option in Mortal Empires, finally.

Someone hasn't played Tretch.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
When this game first came out I played as Skaven and pretty quickly fell off. I just came back to the game this last week and started a Lizardmen campaign and it's much better.

Skaven just feel too weak at the start and the complexities of managing food are a pain.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
On the other hand, their ambush on attack mechanic and hilariously powerful artillery makes them pretty overpowered come lategame.

Compare how easy it is to wipe out the Chaos stacks with Skaven compared to anyone else.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Just use a mod that buffs food and spread warcrimes across the world.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Having plentiful food is nice also as you can make the most out of Dwellers Below. As Queek in high corruption you can potentially get like 11 charges of it, which is great in close battles.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Or just bukd some public order buildings and don't worry about food at all.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Awe I'm slightly disappointed, I was hoping that CA use of "hungry" was hinting at Ghorgon's would be added to the beastmen roster. :(

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Broken Cog posted:

Someone hasn't played Tretch.

Tretch got hosed by the changes to self-raiding. When it tanked your public order, Tretch was fine just self-raiding and knocking out rebellions until the food suprlus topped out. Then expand and do it again. Rinse and repeat until you were at the largest extent you could support.

Feel like CA went too far nerfing that. loving up your own people seems like a matter of course for Dark Elves, Skaven, and Greenskins (and Chaos but that doesn't fit into the game mechanics). Was a bit silly that it was an optimal start for everyone else as well.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 24, 2018

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

When did they change auto-resolve to be at 50% almost every battle? Im so sick of fighting these tedious, easily-won battles that autoresolves wipes 3-5 units out in.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ammanas posted:

When did they change auto-resolve to be at 50% almost every battle? Im so sick of fighting these tedious, easily-won battles that autoresolves wipes 3-5 units out in.

I've started avoiding certain units that end up being auto resolve liabilities. Kroxigors were the biggest offenders for Lizardmen, but fortunately their artillery are also dinosaurs so they don't get the bolt thrower treatment.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gejnor posted:

Whaaat? Skaven were already ez mode I'm confused by this. Raiding generated poo poo tons of food, and raiding your own land is very skaven, they definitely would be killing other rats to eat rats to feed rats to generate more rats to kill.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Without mod buffs to food supply skaven would often get trash-canned by other factions, notably Teclis and Grimgor/Settra.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
No, not really. The Ambush mechanic for Skaven makes it so you pretty much never have to fight at a disadvantage, and once you've gotten a balanced food supply coming in, any extra food you get from battles can just be put straight into boosting new settlements. Skaven is probably the easiest faction in the campaign once they get going.

Or well, at least Skrolk is, Queek is a bit harder because of his starting neighbours, and Tretch is, well, Tretch.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
He's taalm but then ai