Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

anthonypants posted:

this actually rules because the it consultants absolutely charged 10x the price of the ransom, at minimum
the document says the company charged $6k and paid the four bitcoin ransom. the price of bitcoin on april 11th 2016 was 421.14, so they paid $1,684.56+fees for approximately $4300 in profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Gobbeldygook posted:

the document says the company charged $6k and paid the four bitcoin ransom. the price of bitcoin on april 11th 2016 was 421.14, so they paid $1,684.56+fees for approximately $4300 in profit.
they should've paid more and/or taken longer. shameful

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

is this legal? hilarious either way

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

redleader posted:

is this legal? hilarious either way
Probably not thus why the FBI is involved.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it's called an arbitrage opportunity, look it up fed dumbshits

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
some cops asked a funeral home to get access to a dead man's fingerprints from his corpse to unlock his phone http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/Cops-used-dead-man-s-finger-in-attempt-to-access-his-phone-It-s-legal-but-is-it-okay-_167262017

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, if the crypto on the ransomware is actually as strong as it's supposed to be wouldn't the only alternative to paying the ransom being a "boil the oceans"-type scenario?

Sounds like the company was exercising due diligence and acting in the client's best interest to me? :shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:goonsay:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants posted:

some cops asked a funeral home to get access to a dead man's fingerprints from his corpse to unlock his phone http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/Cops-used-dead-man-s-finger-in-attempt-to-access-his-phone-It-s-legal-but-is-it-okay-_167262017

it's a shame they didn't consider that when they shot him, it might have saved some time

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

nice promo for the new season of Bosch

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

anthonypants posted:

they have been doing this for ages, normally they do it while the body is still in the city morgue so nobody needs to give access

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

quote:

detectives didn’t think they’d need a warrant because there is no expectation of privacy after death — an opinion several legal experts affirmed

I am not comfortable with this loophole

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dylan16807 posted:

Don't worry, if state-secrets depend on your privacy you are still g2g.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
just got reminded that viss blocked me for calling him an rear end in a top hat when he tweeted an email chain with cisco tac about a patch and didn't redact the names of the frontline techs trying to help him lmao

nothing of value was lost imo

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
also re: conference tweetwalls, i tried to send "im gay" to the vmworld 2017 hashtag while i was there and it never went up :argh:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/oscaron/status/988511273804591104

owns

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

That is pretty good imo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

man, I was doing that years ago

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Dylan16807 posted:

It's okay, once you're dead it won't matter what you're comfortable with!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Doom Mathematic posted:

It's okay, once you're dead it won't matter what you're comfortable with!

The famous Doom Mathematic “...dating...” rule.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

it's called an arbitrage opportunity, look it up fed dumbshits

Everything is an arbitrage

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
just saw a thing in the iOS App Store for remembear, a password manager. the latest update includes "achievements sharing and bug fixes"

so now pw management has been gamified :rolleyes:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

anthonypants posted:

this is the most low grade altered cabron thing

Chris Knight posted:

just saw a thing in the iOS App Store for remembear, a password manager. the latest update includes "achievements sharing and bug fixes"

so now pw management has been gamified :rolleyes:

well a sense of personal security isnt motivation for most people so if thats what it takes…

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

anthonypants posted:

the cops here sometimes go to the morgue to get the fingers off corpses to fingerprint-identify them. that’s called a ”sausage run”. they literally just get the fingers in a bag.

I’m not even making GBS threads you.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

are they not allowed to fingerprint in the morgue, and do you get the fingers returned or are they disposed of by random technicians at the nearest station

i'd have to check how that's handled around here but dismembering corpses over a fingerprint doesn't sound like standard procedure

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, what in the gently caress is happening where cutting fingers off is remotely an acceptable procedure?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i googled sausage run and didn't find it but did find this which makes it worth it

http://www.live5news.com/story/14056057/cops-nude-man-stole-sausage

quote:

ESTERO, FL (CNN) - A 34-year-old man is charged after police say he broke into an Estero, FL, community kitchen, stripped nude and stole sausage in January.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

are they not allowed to fingerprint in the morgue, and do you get the fingers returned or are they disposed of by random technicians at the nearest station

i'd have to check how that's handled around here but dismembering corpses over a fingerprint doesn't sound like standard procedure

the AFIS (digital fingerprint) machine is the size of a gaming arcade booth and lives at the police station. it’s also harder to take ink prints from a corpse than individual fingers.

Finns don’t usually do open caskets so the body is cremated anyway, and after an autopsy your body parts are literally slices and your brain sits in the stomach cavity sliced up like a loaf of bread. I’ve seen it done.

In finland almost every dead person is autopsied, which means a lot of deaths that are actual homicides get noticed at that stage.

it’s called ”nakkikeikka” in police slang in finnish, ”sausage run” is my unofficial translation so you’ll probably find nothing about in google.

my source for this info is the teacher that taught us cause of death investigation at the police college of Finland.

e: idk what they do with the fingers afterwards but I guess they’re returned to the morgue to be buried along with the rest of the deceased’s earthly remains.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i was more confused over the handling of body parts as they're generally considered biohazard, and then there's contamination with anything along the way including the fingerprint scanner

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i was more confused over the handling of body parts as they're generally considered biohazard, and then there's contamination with anything along the way including the fingerprint scanner

yeah idk about that. just repeating what I was told.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Finland is frozen all year around so it’s not a hazard

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

computer toucher posted:

the cops here sometimes go to the morgue to get the fingers off corpses to fingerprint-identify them. that’s called a ”sausage run”. they literally just get the fingers in a bag.

I’m not even making GBS threads you.
going to the morgue makes sense, since it's technically still in police custody. i haven't heard about cutting fingers off but i'm sure it happens somewhere. going to the funeral home, after the body has already been released to the family, is the hosed up thing about this particular scenario.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

anthonypants posted:

going to the morgue makes sense, since it's technically still in police custody. i haven't heard about cutting fingers off but i'm sure it happens somewhere. going to the funeral home, after the body has already been released to the family, is the hosed up thing about this particular scenario.

yeah we don't have funeral homes in the sense that the US does. I think the body pretty much goes from the morgue to the crematorium, from which the urn is given to the family. The urn is buried over a somber ceremony and then there will be lukewarm coffee and sandwich cake.

I guess these cases are when it's a) too cumbersome to move the whole corpse from some place to another place b) digital fingerprinting is involved c) the deceased is unknown, and as such, no family has yet been identified. We didn't even discuss whether it would be disrespectful to the family, just shrugged that "ok that makes sense I guess".

As for the biohazard part, I guess rubber gloves are involved, it's not like you just stick nine in your pockets and one up your rear end and off you go on your merry way. It's not like a severed finger will bleed, you can just rinse it off and bag it.

Edit: OK I actually found a source for this: "Yleensä tekniset tutkijat käyvät ruumishuoneella myöhemmin ottamassa vainajalta sormenjäljet, joskus jopa sormenpäät, myöhempää rikosteknisessä laboratoriossa tapahtuvaa sormenjälkien tutkimista varten",

which translates to:

"Usually the forensic investigators will visit the morgue on a later time to collect the fingerprints from the deceased, and sometimes even the tips of the fingers, for a later fingerprint investigation at the forensic laboratory.", Written by Kimmo K. Kiiski, "Poliisin rooli kuolemansyyn tutkinnassa" - "The role of the police in determining cause of death", 2009.

This is one of my old textbooks from the police college.

computer toucher fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 24, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

computer toucher posted:

yeah we don't have funeral homes in the sense that the US does. I think the body pretty much goes from the morgue to the crematorium, from which the urn is given to the family. The urn is buried over a somber ceremony and then there will be lukewarm coffee and sandwich cake.

I guess these cases are when it's a) too cumbersome to move the whole corpse from some place to another place b) digital fingerprinting is involved c) the deceased is unknown, and as such, no family has yet been identified. We didn't even discuss whether it would be disrespectful to the family, just shrugged that "ok that makes sense I guess".

As for the biohazard part, I guess rubber gloves are involved, it's not like you just stick nine in your pockets and one up your rear end and off you go on your merry way. It's not like a severed finger will bleed, you can just rinse it off and bag it.

Why not just get bigger pockets? It seems like driving with a finger up your rear end would be uncomfortable.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Why not just get bigger pockets? It seems like driving with a finger up your rear end would be uncomfortable.

Well this way frees up a hand.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

computer toucher posted:

As for the biohazard part, I guess rubber gloves are involved, it's not like you just stick nine in your pockets and one up your rear end and off you go on your merry way.

Please don't kink shame TIA

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

Hijack of Amazon’s internet domain service used to reroute web traffic for two hours unnoticed
https://doublepulsar.com/hijack-of-amazons-internet-domain-service-used-to-reroute-web-traffic-for-two-hours-unnoticed-3a6f0dda6a6f

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ate all the Oreos posted:

i googled sausage run and didn't find it but did find this which makes it worth it

http://www.live5news.com/story/14056057/cops-nude-man-stole-sausage

"stole sausage in January" sounds like a euphemism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

computer toucher posted:

Well this way frees up a hand.

just the tip, really

• Locked thread