Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Serenity Dove posted:

I really need to get some longer cables for my circular needles to try a blanket at some point.

I don't know what kind of needles you have, but I was able to get some cable connectors for mine (interchangeables), so now I can put two or three cables together and make an absurdly long one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
Casual relaxing knitting is the order of the day for me - I had a gift certificate for Michael's and I went a little hog wild on discounted yarn. This is a blanket I'm knitting in plain old acrylic, Caron Big Cakes. It's a pretty nice yarn, the colours are a nice visual change, and I like acrylics for blankets because they're harder wearing.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Here's the blanket I'm working on, haven't pieced together the pieces yet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Look at all you guys casually taking on blankets :magical: I am way too fond of instant gratification for even an adult-size sweater

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
How do I keep the yarn from twisting doing double sided? And or is there a better way to untwist than periodically spinning each skein back around each other and then spinning them?

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

BlueOccamy posted:

How do I keep the yarn from twisting doing double sided? And or is there a better way to untwist than periodically spinning each skein back around each other and then spinning them?

If it's small I just regularly dangle it and let it untwist, if it's large you just gotta inwind the skeins regularly. Or you can turn it back and forth in alternating directions but I find it hard to remember that while I'm working.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Can you try to knit with one yarn in each hand? I found it awkward at first but once I got used to it, it was brilliant.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Finished a That Nice Stitch cowl in a recycled silk yarn (Darn Good Yarns Sparkle Lace):

Ravelry link with more photos & info

I wondered how that stitch pattern would look in a non-elastic yarn. The stitches slipped with yarn in front get really emphasized and it becomes frothy. It's going to stretch like the dickens, but I'm hoping the on-the-bias construction will help that some.

Over the years, my corrosive sweat has worn away at the finish and metal in the Addio Turbos I used to knit this piece. I had ZERO problems with yarn slipping, and in fact had to push the stitches along sometimes over the roughest sections.

Also did a cardigan; guess I should post that too. I call it doom cardigan because I used fingering-weight yarn and it was NEVER ENDING. I knit on it for 181 days!

Ravelry link with more photos & info

Pattern is "beccs" cardigan, yarn is Cascade Heritage Solids in Anis. See that massive amount of positive ease? It turns out I am not a no-shaping sort of person. I put in a pleat at the back to take some of that out without affecting the swingy-ness of it much, and still give my shoulders lots of room to move. A reverse gusset, if you will.

(Potato quality bathroom selfie with me kneeling on the counter because nobody else was home to help take a picture. It looks better when I'm not holding my phone up over my shoulder.)

Also I found a magnetic bracelet closure at the fabric store and used that to close the fronts. It's so convenient! I am sewing those in all my open-front cardis now.

effika fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 14, 2018

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

those both look great!! I've been itching to do a fingering weight sweater and this is a good reminder it will take ages.

Lovely yarn choices on both and super nice about the pleat

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
They're finished!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

left_unattended posted:

They're finished!

Gorgeous!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

left_unattended posted:

They're finished!

Those turned out great!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

left_unattended posted:

They're finished!

What a good matching set!

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015
So, i regularly check the ai-weirdness blog, and lo and behold, she did datasets on knitting!

SkyKnit: When knitters teamed up with a neural network

Its a really good read, and she links to the ravelry pages where they are debuging and knitting testpatterns....some of those patterns are beautiful!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Finished the blanket I started a little while ago - when stressed, I knit so much more and I am so stressed, ahahaha.

Modeled by my husband.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Sehkmet posted:

Finished the blanket I started a little while ago - when stressed, I knit so much more and I am so stressed, ahahaha.

Modeled by my husband.

Sorry you are stressed, but that blanket looks nice and squishy! I want to make a blanket but am still stalling on finishing my sweater!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
end of school + gearing up for licensing exam + work = stress haha. I'll live though!

I used acrylic for it - Caron Big Cakes which it looks like is discontinued now, but oh it's so snuggly. I want to curl up on my couch in it.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
That looks amazing. I love all the pictures in here.

I'm just past the halfway mark on my rainbow blanket. I went with paintbox yarns over the knit picks stuff, and man, it's pretty colorful and soft. I'm glad I have a low cost yarn to enjoy.

I also got a pound of Caron yarn, and I'm tempted to make a mermaid tail blanket out of it (from a crafts exchange on reddit).

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Speaking as a person who’s made a mermaid tail blanket: it’s basically an incredibly monotonous afghan, fair warning. It took me a got dang year (six months of which were hiatus).

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Ooh, thanks for the warning. I'm working on a full size garter stitch rainbow blanket so ... maybe I'll wait on the mermaid tail and do some lace after I finish ye olde giante asse blankete.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I finished the main bulk of work on the dress I've been working on, shoulders are shaped and now all I have to do is knit the sleeves on

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

I finally finished a pair of the reversible double-knit socks. They turned out pretty nice!

They're made with Loops and Threads superfine acrylic. They're really comfy and would probably be good with boots but I made them to be bed socks basically. Acrylic isn't good for socks but nice wool is expensive in Arizona and woolen items aren't really in demand here so I work with what I've got. I really like acrylic though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Croisquessein posted:

I finally finished a pair of the reversible double-knit socks. They turned out pretty nice!

They're made with Loops and Threads superfine acrylic. They're really comfy and would probably be good with boots but I made them to be bed socks basically. Acrylic isn't good for socks but nice wool is expensive in Arizona and woolen items aren't really in demand here so I work with what I've got. I really like acrylic though.

AAAAH Those are amazing! You had to knit 4 socks! So neat.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Those socks are so freaking cool and I am in awe. Awesome work.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

effika posted:

AAAAH Those are amazing! You had to knit 4 socks! So neat.

left_unattended posted:

Those socks are so freaking cool and I am in awe. Awesome work.

Thanks! I learned pretty much all of it from Nathan Taylor aka The Sockmatician on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2-SB9VFLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_tv8KyzpEA
(Really useful for fixing mistakes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruXDro3ahLQ
For turning the heel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziJSIyOSl7U
For doing the toe.

I nevver found a pattern for a reversible sock that I liked so I would like to write one up if there's any interest.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Those socks are so cool! Great work.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Croisquessein posted:

I nevver found a pattern for a reversible sock that I liked so I would like to write one up if there's any interest.

Yes please! I have huge feet but I can always use heavier yarn.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Those are amazing socks! They look so comfy. :3:

I’ve managed to finish a shawl that I’ve been knitting up but it’s finding the effort to block it. It’s pure acrylic so I’m guessing the best way to block is still killing it with an iron?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Croisquessein posted:

Nice work! The reversable aspect is really awesome.

You heard Tucson Yarn is closing and having a major sale to sell out old inventory, right?

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

left_unattended posted:

Yes please! I have huge feet but I can always use heavier yarn.

You can whatever weight you like, just adjust your number of stitches, just like any sock. These are actually pretty stretchy, so you really just have to make the foot longer for larger feet.

I'll start putting a pattern together when I get a chance.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Nice work! The reversable aspect is really awesome.

You heard Tucson Yarn is closing and having a major sale to sell out old inventory, right?

Ooh, I'm up in Phoenix but maybe I'll take a drive down there on my day off if they're still around next week.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I ordered some "wool" yarn from China to see what the quality was like. It's terrible acrylic, like much worse than I have ever seen for sale in the US, Canada, or UK. It feels like a milder form of touching insulation. I'm not too surprised or disappointed (I spent only a few dollars to find out) but now I/we know for sure.

Here's my question: is there anything to do with really crappy yarn that I wouldn't want anyone to touch? Like idk, some textile I could make that would insulate a window or something? I'm fine with trashing it but if I could knit or macrame it up into something useful, I could do that?

(Cross posting first paragraph to the Ali Express thread)

Edit: I also ordered cotton embroidery floss. It's the same as getting non-DMC floss in the US/Canada (never bought it in the UK). The same stuff as far as I can tell. I just tested it and it's color fast.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 1, 2018

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I keep yarn scraps in a bag and use it to stuff toys so I don't have to buy stuffing as often - maybe you could do that?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I finished knitting my dress:

Four months of work, used in total around 2000 yards of Rowan Softyak. The cabling is only up the left arm because I like asymmetry.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

keyboard vomit posted:

Four months of work, used in total around 2000 yards of Rowan Softyak. The cabling is only up the left arm because I like asymmetry.

Wow! Great job!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

keyboard vomit posted:

This is beautiful, awesome work!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Dang, that's amazing! Wonderful work.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Those are some seriously even stitches and that makes me smile. Great work.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Beautiful dress! I looooove knitting with yak blends :swoon:

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’ve been knocking out a lot of hats lately and I’m now very comfortable with stranded colourwork. I wanted to do a slightly different design and either I can’t work out how to google it or I’m just dumb:

I want a hat that only has a pattern on the front 1/4 of the hat instead of the repeating patterns in the round that I’ve been working - do I carry the pattern colour yarn around the entire circumference, catch the float every x stitches and waste a lot of yarn? Or do I break the pattern yarn after each row and end up with 60 extra ends to weave in? Or is there some other way I haven’t considered?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Intarsia in the round?
Intarsia is usually only one color, but the principle should still work, I think.